Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm

Yep.....over before it began

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 12:53am

The Vietnam War - SBS On Demand

This documentary is so harrowing & yet so brilliant at the same time. It is simply a must watch. I believe it (and others like it) should become part of high school curriculum. Yes this particular doco is about that particular war (including the lead up) but it’s more so about the human condition. The younger people amongst us need to know about this history & this parameter of human behavior, in order to someday lead to a more sane, humane existence.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:03am

There was an Extinction Rebellion vigil at Austinmer last night, with a bake sale, music, speeches by assorted folk including academics from Uni of Wollongong talking about effects of fires and some by people who'd lost their homes.

The wife went with the kids, I wasn't there so I don't know how many people glued themselves to poles or started fires in the bushes. Maybe it'll be on the news.

I stayed home and read a 2013 essay by Mark Latham, which, in part, excoriated the "new right" giving both barrels to "fringe fanatics" such as columinsts Chris Kenny, Gerard Henderson, Andrew Bolt, and Alan Jones, plus the channels that house them, 2GB, Sky, The Australian, while instructing the political left on how to lead from the front on climate change - calling it the most existential threat humanity has ever faced.

Amazing how much one person can change. I recall Facto once saying that Andrew Bolt was a charlatan who saw an opportunity - the rise of the far right in America - and moved to monetise it here.

Latham is exactly the same. A hypocrite of the highest order - the people he writes about are the person he's become. Shame the essay isn't online because some of the passages should be cut and pasted in reply to his bilious online output.

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:49am

FR My mates Mum calls it Fairy piss.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:03am

From his own book The Latham Diaries, "It takes committed people ... and turns them into one-dimensional robots ... The only good news is that the public is on to them. The electorate has worked out the artificiality of it all. They can see through the spin doctors, the publicity stunts, the polling and the tricks of marginal-seat campaigning. This is why people now talk about politics with a cool anger. They have a clear feeling that the system is far from genuine. That the robots, in fact, are tin men."

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:01am

I agree Rabbit. Bit late before we get dragged/enthusiastically jump into the latest fiasco.

Just...about...now...

As for Latham...sadly, an 'R U OK?' celebrity example, methinks. For reals.

Next party: Beyond Blue.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:57am

Read in The Age this morning Craig Kelly gets more likes/traffic/shares on his Facebook account then Scotty from Marketing. Fancy that, educated to high school level and a former furniture salesman yet you can outshine the PM on FB. Apparently its a haven for climate change deniers/skeptics. What a world we live in today.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:01am

Also in the papers today a story on how Scotty from Marketing is "disappointed" that some people are "conflating" this summers fires with our emissions targets.

Such a bullshit artist is our Scotty, never stops spinning the bullshit.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:03am

IndoD @ 4:25pm yesterday:
“PS. Floating around on social media there is a screen shot of a news article that claims a ER member is under arrest for one of the most recent fires in NSW, but did some googling and no hits so must be fake, it did look very convincing though was quite well done”

WTAF: 2 points:
- pretty poor reflection on the social media environment that you’re hanging out in.
- repeating that on this forum, albeit with the disclaimer that it is fake, is pretty irresponsible given your recent unfounded conspiracy about ER being involved in setting fires.

I may not agree with a lot of what you say but I did think you were better than that.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:16am

it's pretty scuzzy Indo.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:53am

Etatrip

What on earth are you talking about?

Did you see the guardian link Spykan shared and what the conversation was referring too.

The irresponsible thing to do would have been to just share the image here without fact checking.

But what did i do, i fact checked and worked out it was fake instead.

You should be giving me praise for fact checking because i think we can agree online people rarely fact check before sharing info or meme, photo, article etc.

Most people just click share or cut and paste etc

If anything I'm alerting people to the fact there is fake news on this issue being spread out there.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 12:11pm

"You should be giving me praise for fact checking...."

Funny stuff.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm

"I may not agree with a lot of what you say but I did think you were better than that."

Yes, Eta, "what on earth are you talking about?"

Better?!

Hahahahahaha.

"If anything I'm alerting people to the fact there is fake news on this issue being spread out there."

Hahahahahaha.

"Scuzzy"...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm

I asked the missus the other day if she had ever heard of fact checking . She said she was "Not interested. No way. Not after the last time."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 1:30pm

Guy Smiley - I think you were right, it's v), all of the above.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm

Now don’t all fall over yourselves in thanking me for posting this okay!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/12/disinformation-an...

Darn right there Andy.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 1:41pm

..—=..=*

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 2:53pm

Okay thanking me is going to far, but what i said was more a positive than a negatuve.

And if i wanted to spread disinformation, i just would have posted the pic of the news article here, and just said i don't know if its true or not, instead of pointing out that its obviously fake.

What isn't fake though is the link Spykan shared that backs up the fact that authority's have concerns about certain elements of the group.

BTW ive seen it 3 times now, one was in comments of lad bibble, one was in comments of a main stream media, one was in a more conservative type page....so no its not like it was on some crazy right wing page.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 2:38pm

Yo Scuzzy D, got any more sick Avi clips, bro?

(BTW researched and fact-checked him?)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm

Ha ha here comes the conspiracy theories of Avi a proud Jew of colour being a neo nazi or white supremacist or something because he is friends or met with people with who may hold some of those views.

FFS stop smoking crack ,more than half my friends are leftards that vote green, it sure doesn't make me a leftard or green voter.

Que factom sharing some obscure link on Avi somehow linking him to neo nazis or something.

Avi isn't perfect like anyone but he does what he does well stirs up a shit and exposes a lot of BS.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm

Two points to be taken from this ...

1/ Is this the diversity we are meant to be celebrating ? A world where people are permanently defined by their racial heritage and a world where democracy is reduced to a racial headcount Why the fuck would any racial majority then choose to jeopardise their political dominance by importing a competing demographic ?

Answer - They never would , they never have and they never will .Thus no mandate has ever been required or suggested for the reformation of Western societies.

2/ What is it about the blatantly corrupt that the African American demographic so appreciate that they would prioritise Biden ?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/11/joe-biden-us-2020-electi...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:31pm

Question: is this info from Blowipedia?

Exclusively?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:35pm

Answer:

Whatever gets googled in, and fits the proclivities.

An aside...

Question: Macro (small but dreaming big) Business still a going concern? With sucker subscribers and all?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm

"2/ What is it about the blatantly corrupt that the African American demographic so appreciate that they would prioritise Biden ?"

he did a good thing once, for some black guy somewhere... or so the story goes...

and, because he was obama's right hand man I guess

but seriously, even considering all that, and the whiteness of the rest of the field, I cannot see the attraction at all, ...even overlooking the corruption...

i honestly don't understand how anyone could vote for biden, and it is a massive insult form the dnc that he is even there

the man is almost as compromised as clinton

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:36pm

Scuzzy D, checked who bankrolls that felon and his shitty vids?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:39pm

No one can ever be as compromised as Hillary.

Remember when Trump put all those women who claimed to have been raped by Bill Clinton in the front row during his debate with Hillary ?

That was some A grade shit. Stupid cow didn’t know where to look.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm

Avi Yemini?
You mean that fella who was convicted of physically assaulting his girlfriend?

No wonder Esme Dreaming likes him.

Dandy Market bumpers of a feather scuzz together.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:45pm

Seppo, who you voting for? As discussed many, many moons ago ya reckon going full Trumpy is the way to even begin to kill off the corporate Democrats?

Taking as a given, that your political engagement extends only as far as actually registering to vote, let alone getting in the booth?

Hang on, you are eligible to vote in the US, yes? No?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm

Facto contributes three things on these forums ,

1/ cultural Hyper Links which he is convinced reflect the anarchy-punk identity he mistakenly imagines distracts from the reality of his 9-5 , pencil pushing, uber- conformist existence .

2/ Petty personal insults of the type he dreams he could deliver in the flesh instead of cowering in the shadows of whichever venue he is visiting.

3/ The Gold Standard of acting like a shitcunt and ruining every conversation with constant and unavoidable reminders that he is said shitcunt.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 3:58pm

Take out the punk reference, and substitute John Denver, and you've pretty much nailed 'psychological projection'...AGAIN.

For the billionth time*

*chucked in a bit of Blowie exaggeration there. Only a million, comrades.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm

well he is doing a great job of killing off the corporate democrats

or at a minimum exposing them for the frauds they are

but no I don't think full trumpy is the way to go. tbh I think another term will be disastarous, as various chickens come home to roost, and as trump will develop an arrogance and self belief that would be frightening even under more capable hands

but if ya don't offer a viable alternative...

personally I'd vote bernie, take another punt and chuck another rock at the glasshouse

but I really wish he'd tone it down a bit. be a bit more realistic, foster an option that non die-hards might actually vote for

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 4:24pm

You’re killin it Andy

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 4:55pm

I don't condone any type of violence or abuse towards women, but it doesn't make Avi less entertaining just like it doesn't make John lennon any lesser of a song writer or doesn't make our fire fighters any lesser of the heros they are.

Although im pretty sure that last one is fake news anyway as was said said at a greens press conference.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm

Peter Ridd was sacked by JCU for questioning the quality of some science. They went to extreme lengths to try and shut him up, Even going as far as calling him a denier, where as all he was questioning was the methods being used. The truth generally comes out in the end.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ex-judge-investigate-controver...
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/09/can-you-spot-duplicates-critics-...
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/analysis-challenges-slew-studies...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 7:32pm

The whistleblower was afraid for his career if he voiced his concerns....

vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blot... Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:55pm

Ridd wasn't sacked for questioning the quality of science. He'd already written a peer reviewed article doing that and no one cared. It was *how* he publicly criticised his colleagues at the uni and said they couldn't be trusted, that meant he violated a code of conduct.

Imagine if craig started writing here and elsewhere that stunet couldn't be trusted cos he made up quotes from interviews or selectively edited quotes and to mislead us all. And then imagine if he kept it up after being told to pull his head in. You reckon ben would want to keep him on at swellnet? I'm gonna say no.

If Ridd continued to publish articles criticising the science (as is his job and as he'd done to no censure), instead of going the people, then no code of conduct would have been breached.

But you know, believe whatever conspiracies you want to lap up from Uncle Roops. I'm sure it feels good.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 8:41pm

So The Higher Education and Science Mag are "Uncle Roops" are they? Biased in their view?
Fact is that it is under investigation with some pretty damning allegations.
Tell me, if you find a cockroach in your home and remove it, does that now mean there are no more cockroaches to be found?
And conspiracies? Really? Fuck me, this is all just getting ridiculous.

vascectomy-blot... Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:01pm

Where in any of those three articles did it say that Ridd was fired because he questioned the quality of the science? Point to it. Go on...I'll wait.

You know what? I'll save you the time, this is all that was there:

JCU dismissed Ridd in 2018 for *violating the university’s code of conduct* after he repeatedly criticized research quality control at the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, which is based at JCU. In April, a judge ruled that his termination was unlawful, and earlier this month JCU was ordered to pay Ridd AU$1.2 million in damages. JCU has appealed.

They said nothing about him being sacked for his views because he wasn't. He may have been unlawfully sacked but it wasn't because of his views.

Here's the uni explaining it:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jun/07/academic-peter-ridd-...

“There has never been any constraint on Peter to express his opinion,” Gordon says.

He pointed to a “viewpoint” paper Ridd had cowritten for a journal in late 2017 that had laid out his claims about a lack of quality control in scientific studies related to the Great Barrier Reef. Some of the scientists Ridd had criticised responded, saying his claims were largely based on misinterpretations and “selective use of data”.

Gordon said: “That is what you would except an academic to do – to publish their views on the ways in which data is interpreted and that gives other academics the chance to rebut his particular views.

“So this is not about academic freedom. It is to do with the code of conduct at the university and the ways in which he had transgressed that code of conduct that we would expect any member of our staff to adhere to.”

He said the university was now trying to “put the record straight” about why it had disciplined and then sacked Ridd, amidst media claims he was muzzled because of is his views on climate change, reef science and his academic freedom was not upheld.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm

Haha, I never said it was in the articles.

But it is seeming to point that what he highlighted with JCU is pretty true going by the articles.

So, again, are The Higher Education and Science Mag "Uncle Roops" as you alluded to above? Biased in their view?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 9:14pm

@Fitz,

Think VB is talking about the slew of articles written by Bolt, Credlin, Panahi and their kind, Uncle Roops' attack dogs, during the case, all of which framed it as a battle of free speech for climate deniers, when it wasn't anything of the sort.

If Ridd was working in another field, say, studying the gut microbiota of frogs, you wouldn't have heard of him, and the case would pass as another conflict between employee and employer, but because of the field, Rupert's papers tried - and fairly successfully I'd say - to turn it into a culture war flash point.

vascectomy-blot... Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:00pm

"Haha, I never said it was in the articles."

So why did you link them when you said "Peter Ridd was sacked by JCU for questioning the quality of some science." ??? Dunno why you'd suggest theyre some unbiased info on the all this when they weren't about him at all.

And yeah, what stu said. Those articles written by Roop's mob that made you think he was sacked because he questioned the quality of some science.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:20pm

The second link

"(JCU dismissed Ridd in 2018 for violating the university’s code of conduct after he repeatedly criticized research quality control at the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, which is based at JCU. In April, a judge ruled that his termination was unlawful, and earlier this month JCU was ordered to pay Ridd AU$1.2 million in damages. JCU has appealed.)"

"repeatedly criticized research quality control"

Does that not speak volumes with what has happened in those links??

vascectomy-blot... Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 10:33pm

I mean, no shit. that was what I highlighted to you. Why are you pasting it in again? If you dont want to read posts that dont agree with you thats cool i'll stop wasting my time.

but before I go...if you do read what you just pasted it doesnt say he was sacked *because* he criticised the research. it says he got sacked, and i'm gonna quote here so read carefully, he got sacked "for violating the university’s code of conduct"

the interview in the guardian explains why they thought he violated teh code of conduct...and hot tip, it aint cos of his views or cos he criticsed the science.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:54pm

Hasn't Ridd sold his soul to fossil fuels and miners chasing $$$?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 8:10am

It's pointless Fitzroy you are dealing with people that only believe whatever they read in the Guardian, if the Guardian told them the sky was yellow with pink spots they would believe it and it wouldn't matter what you said or evidence you provided that it appears blue during the day they wouldn't believe it, even if you provided a photo or live feed they would say its been manipulated.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 8:18am

Yeah , this is the Macrobusiness that Facto hopes will fold.....because it dares to shine on torch on the major failings of his immaculate and infallible ALP as it surveys the Australian political and economic landscape in general.

Meanwhile, it’s one of the only voices revealing the unconscionable persecution of a whistleblower by Murdoch University.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/01/international-student-whistlebl...

Background.... https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/12/international-student-whistlebl...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 9:08am

Andy, your list, did it include delusional and/or a complete absence of self awareness?

vascectomy-blot... Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 9:28am

Lol

Edit: fucken simultaneous posting... Just to be clear... Hey ID, lol.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 13 Jan 2020 at 9:20am

He's cupping balls again.