Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

arcadia's picture
arcadia's picture
arcadia Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 3:30pm

Vas-blot, with decreasing rainfall due to global heating, many of the forests in northern nsw & old may never grow back. Instead, perhaps there will be a shift to more drought resistant species.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm

@stu, there is a scene in The Thin Red Line (1998) where one of the characters is lying on his back under Japanese machine gun fire and he looks up at the clouds and in a day dream like voice says "I see a different world". I often think of that line and how it all could be different ......

A powerful film.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 4:01pm

@Stu

Any carbon pricing is just going to push power prices up as obviously those companies will just pass on the cost to the consumer, which you could say great it will force more people onto solar which is kinda true.

But the real losers would be people like renters or those living in big apartment blocks etc many of these people are already on low incomes, so again just another thing creating a bigger gap between haves and have nots.

People think it's great if we could push fossil fuels to a point that they become totally unviable, thinking we could just somehow still have 24/7 reliable energy without them, but its just not currently realistic and all that would happen is the government would have to subsidise coal and gas power stations even more to ensure they keep giving us base load energy, so IMHO pointless.

IMHO there is only one guarantee with electricity moving forward at that is that its only going to get a lot lot more expensive and as battery tech gets better and cheaper more people will get batteries or even go off the grid, but is always going to be risky unless you have a huge supply of back up energy (days to a week?).

If the government was smart they would somehow make electricity like water/sewerage where it doesn't matter if you are hooked up or not, as long as it runs past your house you still have to pay an electricity bill.

And if they were smart they would be slowly increasing the service fees like a 5% to 10% increase every year etc so when it does get to that point where people start going totally off grid they cant without paying a decent bill, or if they still stay connected but use no to little energy they will still have to pay a bill.

This will then ensure there is the money to keep everything running

Problem is it wouldn't be popular politically, so doing that would probably lose you an election.

We also need to somehow work out how we are going to replace the billions from fuel excise tax once the electric car thing kicks in?

How do we do that?

Add another tax to the new fuel for cars electricity?

That wouldn't be fair to users of electricity who dont own cars including many elderly, so IMHO only option is going to be too increase rego to crazy prices.

So expect two things in the next 15 years heaps higher electricity and rego prices, luckily we can in part avoid the higher electricity prices by getting solar, but just dont expect to not have a decent bill still, most likely whatever your total bill is now, will be what you pay in service and charges etc in ten years time.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 4:41pm

"And if they were smart they would be slowly increasing the service fees like a 5% to 10% increase every year etc so when it does get to that point where people start going totally off grid they cant without paying a decent bill, or if they still stay connected but use no to little energy they will still have to pay a bill."

Thats already happening, which does in practice discriminate against renters who can't put rooftop solar on.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm

Or carbon pricing will disincentivise the traditional fossil fuel economy and force companies to look ahead.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 7:16pm

Clearly the Poms aren’t reading from the same script as Scotty from Marketing and the IPA .... https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/just-2-per-cent-of-britain-s-powe...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm

Once you go down the page, it's not as impressive as the first pie charts indicate.

26.5% wind/hydro/solar compared to our mix of wind/hyrdo/solar 18.9%

It's better than us but not a huge amount better 7.6%

It just looks good on the first pie chart because they have the advantage of 16.8% Nuclear and a percentage of imports some of which would also include Nuclear .

That's the thing, we are already behind the eight ball because of past opposition to nuclear and even hydro.

Would it be better if we also changed our coal power stations to gas?

Yeah it would decrease our carbon emissions but it would also give them an excuse to increase fracking.

Who is keen on allowing more fracking?......im sure not keen on fracking.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 9:07pm

That UK solar/wind/hydro figure is an impressive 40% greater than AU ..... but I know a guy who works in a power station in the UK that burns garbage imported from Canada, it’s considered green but I don’t think it is, completely illogical to burn waste from a country on the other side of the world.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 2 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm

Police commissioners in-house Investigation into PM's speed dialling of bin neighbour's investigation into why the PM neglected Parliamentary procedure (Clause 71) into standing down #1 Lib' Bag Man Angus for falsely presenting to the media a fraudulent HelloWorld price match voucher to discredit an elected official.

NSW Police Dog Squads & Emergency services have exhausted well over the $15.9m in question, upturning every couch in the State...as PM told our boss Mick, that Angus is a good lad & would never lie or cheat...we will now transfer the search teams to Canberra for AFP to take over the case for the missing HelloWorld docket.
Once Scotty finishes playing with fire, we can restock a full police deployment dedicated to running around in circles forever chasing our own tails for Angus's imaginary HellowWorld Price Match Voucher...NSW Police sincerely apologise to Resource Minister for not chewing thru nearly enough policing resources to promptly clear Angus's good name.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/angus-taylor-investigation-refe...

vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:01am

Hey Indo, since you love to dream up "solutions" so you can tell yourself you're better than your greenie mates, how bout this for a solution... This might have been interesting about now eh?

https://www.billshorten.com.au/_labor_s_national_fire_fighting_fleet_sun...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:09am

Smoko aka Scroto gets a warm welcome in Cobargo.

The woman, who appears reluctant, says: “I’m only shaking your hand if you give more funding to our RFS [Rural Fire Service].”

“So many people have lost their homes.”

Another man tried to prevent the woman from confronting Morrison further, the footage from the Nine Network shows.

“We need more help,” she said, as Morrison walked away.

A group of residents later yelled at the prime minister.

“You won’t be getting any votes down here buddy. You’re an idiot.”

“Go on, piss off.”

“You’re not welcome.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/02/scott-morrison-ab...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:21am

westofthelake...sorry mate... just fire spotted ya!

Gone global it has...even got running commentary over the top...
Almost like the PM has invented a new crime wave of raping victims hands.
'C'mon! Just lend yer PM a hand here...'
Same response Oz wide ..."No! Fuck off ya creep!" Rape! Hand Rape! Rape!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:33am

Is this a weird Hillsong version of 'laying on of hands'?

Actually, with Brian Houston and his old man, best we don't go there...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:41am

@vascectomy-blot.

Wow under all the shit policies that lost them the election you found a diamond in the pile of dirt.

Congratulations, give yourself a pat on the back.

BTW. No surprise you didn't offer up any solutions to the questions i asked, because you or others don't have them, like you admit, you are just here to whinge, great up to you, but IMHO that gets boring pretty fast.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:52am

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:54am

You’re a grub Indo.
That last comment about Ardern is pretty low but I guess that’s to be expected from you.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:56am

You’re still sticking up for ScoMo, ID?
In the words of the ‘89 world champ, “Wow”.

His performance as the national leader has been... woeful. I know how much you’re off Arden, but how does your comment reflect “the truth” in any way.

There’s about 100 things I think Morrison could have done better as PM in this situation. First, don’t take a (clandestine) holiday when it’s clear that a lot of people (volunteers, and emergency services, and ADF) aren’t going to have one.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:57am

Ha, classic ID. Why don’t you put your “favorite” post back up so people can see how bad it was?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:24am

Its on the other thread, accidentally posted in wrong thread,

it's 100% true Scomo aint no magician, anyway im over you fuck wit, low life scum, using a natural disaster for your own political gain..

Edit: Full respect to Albanesse though, maybe i missed it, but seems he isn't doing the same.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:59am

Even the Young Liberals are calling for more climate action.

Indo, you need some industrial strength WD40 for that rusted on ideology of yours.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:05am

"it's 100% true Scomo aint no magician"

Well he magically disappeared to Hawaii.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:33am

Calling 5 minute Googling and daily LCD tabloid regurgitation any kind of an 'ideology' (as thinking people know it) is a very looooooooong bow to stretch, Stunet.

The colours were nailed to the mast an age ago.

This Ardern redux is a sad cry for help.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:17am

"Even the Young Liberals are calling for more climate action."

Hahahaha, Holy Christ, you know Smoko's missed the boat when this happens.

And it'd be good if that boat was the last one out of Mallacoota.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:32am

The most revelatory aspect of the fires for myself was the estimation that the bill for the repairs was estimated to be $600 million.

This is for a fire that has spanned the length of the East coast and other states , burnt 3.4 million hectares of property , crops , commercial premises . Destroyed entire towns , 1300 houses and countless kilometres of powerlines and other infrastructure.

Yet Scomo is somehow managing to waste $500 million on just the unnecessary renovation of a single middle sized war museum and another $50 million on a single Captain Cook statue.

What the fuck.....!?!?!?

The queue to slap sense into Scomo...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:34am

Jeebus ID. Chill out mate. Please keep it civil.
How is this comment thread “using a natural disaster for your own political gain”.
Fire = natural phenomenon (Although Govt given fair warning of likelihood). Not fair game.
Human loss = Tragedy. Not fair game
PM taking a holiday and trying to hide it = Totally fair game.
PM blowing off meetings with Emergency Service chiefs in lead up to this situation = totally fair game.

Federal Govt response to State Govt requests has actually been pretty good, but that’s still got to be open to public debate.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:43am

It's the numpties that directly and indirectly enabled and empowered and allowed this charlatan to get the top job that should be slapping themselves.

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:15am

My dearest dreams of Indonesia,

Hate to tell you my good man but writing a few paragraphs of "solutions" on swellnet doesnt make you some oracle of wisdom. It doesnt mean anything because it achieves precisely nothing. It just makes you a whinger.

You really want to come up with solutions and prove your better than your whinger greenie mates? Join a political party or an NGO and get your hands dirty with policy development and campaigning. Spend the couple of years it takes to research, write and formulate a policy and then campaign for it. Campaign for it within the party or NGO and campaign for it publicly. That's coming up with solutions.

Sitting at your keyboard repeatedly typing "but nucular" is no different from your greenie mates complaining about Abbott killing off the emissions trading scheme. It's no different from me and everyone else sitting here calling smoko a dingbat with the empathy of a burnt out tree stump.

Only difference is, I'm being honest with myself.

You can tell yourself youre better than me and your greenie mates but you're making the same amount of difference to the problem, two thirds of fuck all. But carry on, keep telling yourself how shit the rest of us are.

By the way, I'm done now. I don't want to pollute this thread anymore with negativity but thanks for the pat on the back about the alp policy. It really just popped up on social media, I didn't look very hard. Just kind of sad really, that we could have had a government that takes all this shit seriously.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:58am

The people mostly responsible for the LNP getting in are the ALP by making themselves utterly unworthy of a vote.

If you voted for either ALP or LNP then it’s YOU who is the person responsible for the state of the nation.

Always vote responsible independent unless you want more neoliberalism thrust down your throat .

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:12pm

I reckon that sums it up Blowin.

As an aside, the one in blue is outrageously hot.

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:23pm

Hold the sanctimony there blowin, until you tell us who you preferenced in the lower house last year. Ultimately we had to pick one of the two and unless you live in Melbourne, Indi or wherever, that choice counted as a vote for scotty or billy boy's team.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm

One Notion. Always.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm

Not sanctimonious at all, mate. Just trying to help put to bed the lie that it’s exclusively a choice between ALP or LNP. You’re fucked either way.

It’s like everything else in this world....the more united we are , the more power we have. If none of us vote for these fucktards then they will start to disappear.

Some will try to cow you into thinking that you’re part of the LNP problem if you didn’t vote for the ALP ( shit lite ). These bastards are like Beetlejuice .....the more they are talked about as a viable solution to the problems that THEY created ( or won’t oppose ), the more powerful they become. Just let them die....

Sustainable Australia.

Are you really trying to tell me that the best person to lead the nation is to be found amongst Scomo, Albo , Dutto and Joel Fitzgibbon ?

FFS ..... I wouldn’t trust any of them to park my car in an empty car park.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm

Lachlan Harris - described as "the insider's insider" by NewsCorp - believes Labor's only chance of survival is as a minor party working in tandem with independents and other minor parties - but not the Greens.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-new-year-s-resolution-labor-has-to-make-20191230-p53nk8.html

For a long time I've figured working class people voting LNP were our equivalent of Lenin's "useful idiots" - people who spread propaganda for the cause without fully understanding it.

In this case, they further big business interests, and erode national sovereignty, with side dishes of growing economic inequality and environmental destruction.

At some point I had to accept that the leser of two evils is still pretty damn evil, though consolation may be possible if Labor pick up the scent of national sentiment and, not just pay clever lip service, but formulate some policy around it. I've written elsewhere what that is.

Till then...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:37pm

One notion. Always.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm

And what's wrong with Joel Fitzgerald?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm

VB

Its a forum, no one expects to change the world, but personally i think discussion is much better when it involves things like discussion on ideas, theories, opinions, shared experiences and stories etc rather than just endless pointless negativity or attacking others or lame memes etc..

Personally im just get sick of people being critical without suggestions on how they think it should be done, or even worst ignoring positives already being done.

All that said to be fair we are all human, if Greens were in power id be whinging just as much as you guys.

BTW. I do agree with your reply to Blowin was about to post something similar

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:44pm

I'm not trying to tell you anything blowin but as you know with our voting system, for most of Australia it still comes down to one of the big two no matter who gets the 1 on your ballot paper. So who did you pick?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:44pm

Well, Stu, they couldn’t make it any plainer that they’ve got no intention of finding the National sentiment anytime soon.

Just the opposite. They’re doubling down on the belief that it’s the nation who is on the wrong track.

Dickheads......costly dickheads at that.

Sustainable Australia got my vote .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:46pm

Personally i trust both liberal and labor more than any minor party, people are kidding themselves if they think minor party's would ever do better, be it one nation or greens, they are all.just idealistic but far from realistic, if tomorrow by magic either one got in power they would either make a complete mess of everything or more likely change their views/policy etc to be more like major partys

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:48pm

Fuck ID,

You've admitted on here plenty of times that you'd whinge about Bill Shorten if he got into power, and that's without even seeing what he was capable of. Talk about a pre-conceived bias!

Well.....we're seeing firsthand SmoKo's deficiencies, as outlined by many of his acolytes and people from the same side of politics, yet you refuse to acknowledge it. 

What you are proposing aren't "ideas", it's called blind faith.

Also, this thing about people saying "what should be done". Stop reducing thirty years of climate campaigning to a one week window of action. "What should be done", was proposed decades ago, and batted away by people such as yourself, it went up in flames by a decade-long destructive energy war fought by Abbott, Morrison, Dutton, Kelly and co, so you have no right to now demand people offer tangible results in a ridiculously abridged time frame.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 12:50pm

Manyana and Bendalong cut off.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm

Why , Indo ?

You think that the ALP /LNP ministers are experts in their portfolios ? Or even provably expert managers ?

Face it , mate , they’re all just career politicians without a credible skill between them beyond the formalised bitching/ gossiping which is their idea of politics.

Just look at Facto’s posts on here. He acts like one of them....nothing of value. Occasionally illuminate someone else’s work and try to gleam credit , but nothing of their their own to offer.....because they’ve got nothing !
Just a never ending smear of the other bloke.

The ALP/ LNP are like the Royal family . They have nothing to offer beyond the illusion of exceptionalism. Once the public realises that the major parties are just an amalgamated collective of the crew with zero to offer society beyond highlighting their entitlement to lead , the better.

The entrepreneurial skill , initiative and discipline required to start an independent party would be beyond the vast majority of the party apparatchiks filling seats in the majors. All they do is turn up everyday since the Young Liberal / Young Labour days at Uni that everyone else in the world couldn’t imagine sitting through. Then they bitch about their opposition within the party , lie and slander about the other party till viola......Fucking Scomo , the prick you wouldn’t trust filling the kettle , is somehow Prime Minister.

In fact , Scomo as top dog at LNP and Ol’ Extra - Estrogen Albo as the head of the opposition is proof positive that neither party is fit to govern.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:02pm

Ha ha okay fair call, i should have added Shorten in next to the comment about Greens, if im honest i would be whinging about him if he got in.

The rest of your post is BS though.

Apart from the fact our 1.3% emissions make zero difference to the climate as i keep pointing out out, Australia has the highest per capita of roof top solar installations and last few years per captia rate of uptake of renewables 2 to 3 times higher than any other country.

Again if we didn't have green fuelled opposition to nuclear and even hydro we would be in much better position.

But you dont want to acknowledge this

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:07pm

Absolutely agree that the idealistic parties would become more realistic if they got into power. Happened with the german greens I think, tassie greens too. Then they imploded a bit.

But I trust the greens way more than any others because they're the only ones taking the future seriously. climate change, technology, genuinely equal rights and opportunity for everyone. the LNP are stuck in the past and just looking after their mates. I think thhye are straight up unethical pricks. the ALP are trying to have it both ways and are just as bad as the LNP with their ethics but they start from a vision that is closer to what i think we should be. they sell vision out as soon as it gets too hard though. One nation and all them are bigoted crooks who want to turn australia into white america. And fuck that with a 9 inch long board fin.

so last time around i put the greens first and the LNP last so my vote ended up going to the ALP.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:08pm

Blowin minor parties are just made up by nobody's and nutters, be it left or right

No way you would let them manage an economy etc..

Meanwhile both majors have the best people possible in Aussie politics, and really despite all the whinging both do a good job, proof is in the pudding in our high quality life style and 28 years of growth, longest of any developed country.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:14pm

"Manyana and Bendalong cut off."

Got a mate further south who's opted to stay tomorrow - not a decision to take lightly.

Earlier this morning I spoke to a neighbour fighting the Currowan fire - a 22hr shift! - and he said it'd already jumped the Shoalhaven River a few times but they'd extinguished the spotovers. Only a matter of time though and when the southerly comes through late tomorrow it'll have Kangaroo Valley in its sights.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:18pm

"minor parties are just made up by nobody's and nutters, be it left or right"

What a stooge you are Indo, I mean look where the current bunch of right wing nutters have got us.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:20pm

VB we are polar opposites i put the greens last they honestly scare the hell out of me, i trust both majors but i fear the influence of the greens on labor.

Just look at the influence they had on Rudd and refugee issue, even he did a 360 policy back flip something thay has cost us billions, and we are still paying for it.

They are just not a real party more a movement based on ideals but not reality.

Honestly if the Greens ever got in I'd rent my house out and move to indo

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:21pm

blowin, sustainable australia didn't get your vote in the lower house. They might have got your first pref but that didn't mean anything, unless you're trying to tell me they got elected.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 1:25pm

"What a stooge you are Indo, I mean look where the current bunch of right wing nutters have got us."

Yep 28 years of economical growth longest of any developed country in history thanks to both major party's, but majority of time under so called right wing nutters.

I will take that