Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:21pm

Well ,really in accounting terms you could say that China uses 23 times Australia’s annual emissions each year. This means that in 4 years ( 2015-2019 ) China has emitted the same amount of CO2 as Australia has since about 1930.

And even this is utterly fanciful as Australia would have emitted barely any CO2 in first 50- 60 odd years of that period due to our tiny population, minimal consumption, single car households and most importantly....we weren’t hosting the massive foreign owned agricultural , mining, commercial and residential industries which generate a large proportion of our emissions ie a large percentage of Australia’s emissions are actually externalities of China’s economy.

Obviously this swings both ways with China supplying most of Australia’s consumer products, in fact most products full stop , but this would only offset a small portion of the exports to China by their own companies, our companies and the infrastructure and energy required to drive these industries.

Basically, the idea of Australia being a huge contributor for 200 years is a furphy. The idea that Australia has been a major contributor in any time exceeding the last 45 years is a furphy.

And China used the equivalent of those 45 years since 2017.

China’s emissions in the single 2019 would take till 2042 for Australia to rival. Of course by the end of 2020 China’s emissions will have increased substantially as they are given a ludicrous free pass to increase those emissions due to the fact that their economy hasn’t fully developed the maximum emissions possible yet through the realisation of the nation wide all-consuming middle class that the world is beginning to dismantle in the name of protecting the planet.

In other words .....China needs to sort its shit out ASAP if we want to have any chance of minimising the effects of climate change . To suggest otherwise is fucking ridiculous and even racist.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:16pm

To be honest in regard to the issue ive read a lot on the articles watched a lot of videos, from all views complete skeptics to those who live in the highest fear, and ive never come across that way of looking at things...it is an interesting view point.

Id be interested to see the calculations of different countries looking at it with that view, id expect it would put USA right at the top of things, places like UK much higher.

But i think you are overcooking the outlook of Australia and under cooking other countries, our population in the past has been very small, only in our life time has it really skyrocketed.

But places like China and India have always had huge populations, and in the past would have still been burning large amounts of wood etc (which id assume would be hard to calculate)

Think of it this way looking at current percentages roughly 27 Australian years of emissions accounts for one current year in China, so even with that theory China emissions build up super fast.

EDIT: Blowin just said it better than me, bring in China to a discussion and he is on :D

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:26pm

BTW. An interesting thought, Australia's long running economic success is really on the back of China's growth and success and high immigration rates (Blowins two favourite topics)

But if China makes big efforts to reduce emissions and its economy suffers, it's going to take us down fast with it.

Add in the fact we have to somehow reduce emissions which to do meaningfully will hurt our economy, and well we are doubly fucked, economically wise.

IMHO high likely hood of dark days ahead, but on the other hand i don't think China will try too hard to reduce its emissions, Chinese generally only give a fuck about money and success.. (stereo type yes, but true, btw i do like Chinese i think they are the smartest and most successful race on earth)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm

Not about China , Indo.

Inconveniently for the site bitch , I’m not actually racist and I don’t give a fuck what they do if it’s not to Australia’s detriment....unfortunately their emissions are very much to Australia’s detriment.

It’s way more appropriate to blame Xi Jinping and his ridiculous hollow expansion of the Chinese construction boom than it is to blame Scomo for the rapid rise in CO2 emissions and the resulting climate change . You could even blame him for the Australian fires if you want to get sloppy enough with your accusations.

But no one wants to talk about that......because racism. And corruption, of course.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-27/china-ghost-cities-show-growth-dr...

vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:41pm

ID, what stunet said. Both times.

And get your hand off it. It's got nothing to do with per capita and everything to do with leverage. We're getting fucked by this problem, Jesus mate look around. And your wanting to rearrange the deck chairs because of the economy. If we don't make meaningful change why the fuck will any other country? And as you know, we need those other countries to do something. Leverage mate.

We're fucked as it is and it's pathetic to sit here hoping someone else will bail us out. Especially china I mean WTF.

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:43pm

Blowin no one's blaming our prime moron for the fires. They're blaming him for not doing anything about climate change. But you'd be defending him since you voted for him wouldn't you.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:45pm

Screen-Shot-2020-01-03-at-9-45-03-pm

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 9:49pm

About China and their planting... They started in the 70s. They are planting trees but it looks like its mainly plantations.

Go to this website and show the forest gain layer. Correct up until 2012. Zoom right in to north east china to where there's some blue on the map (there's not much) then switch the underlying map to satellite so you can see the forests. Mostly plantations. That's good for carbon sequestration but not much chop for biodiversity and everything else.

https://www.globalforestwatch.org/map

You can also watch the forest loss globally, up until last year I think. Check the Malay peninsula and Sumatra to see where the oil palm plantations are going in. Amazon is amazing too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 6:32am

Actually, VB .....you’re barking up the wrong tree there mate.

Picture a cake. This cake represents the ability to save the planet from being altered by anthropogenic climate change. We need to not eat the cake to preserve the current state of the climate.

China is currently gulping the cake down as fast as possible, as are most countries, but because China is so much larger it is able to eat the cake at 23 times the rate of Australia. And it’s eating faster every day.

Sure , Australia has been nibbling at the cake for longer , but China has dwarfed the amount we’ve eaten in our entire time at the table within a few short years.

Remember....we ALL need to stop eating the cake . There is no advantage to Australia stopping eating whilst encouraging China to eat faster because it is just starting to get a taste for cake.

As for the concept of leveraging ie guilting China into slowing down its development ( cake eating) because some pitiful little vassal state in another hemisphere ( Australia) is giving it stink eye ( diplomatic hard words ) -despite China having zero care , consideration or exposure to our politicians and our press who are our spokespeople......come on , China does not give a single fuck.

Even the slightest observation of China’s antics will tell you they care about China and only China.

You know how they are planting trees and developing energy independence from fossil fuels ? Yeah, that’s to protect China from unbreathable air in China and energy dependence on foreign nations. It’s got nothing to do with saving the environment or the economy anywhere except China .

So yes , China matters. More than anything and anyone. We do our bit , but we should be firing a Red Bull fueled Greta into the National People’s Congress from the deck of a US Navy destroyer to get the message across to the people who are doing the most damage to our planet.

You know why China gets a free pass to create emissions ? Because of money. The money that the rest of the world still stupidity believes that China will give them a slice of with access to the Chinese market. The world bodies want the Chinese middle class to grow because the Western growth model is tapped out .

The economies the world bodies are counting on to fuel the continued global growth model upon which the neoliberalism they refuse to abandon depends , are China and the Green market.

And , yeah....I didn’t vote for Scomo. And I actually said that they’re blaming him for climate change when the blame is more appropriately leveled at Xi Jinping if you want to be honest about it. Scomo is at fault too , but he’s an amateur compared to the Chinese Pooh Bear.

Somehow I can’t see legal action for climate change recalcitrance being leveled at Jinping though , can you ?

vascectomy-blot... Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm

My face has been reintroduced to my palm after reading your recent posts. Indo's too.

Never before have I seen two people tie themselves in knots to avoid facing reality. Our country is fucked because of this kind of thinking. The future is in getting ahead of the curve and because of this kind of crap we're stuck in 18th century technology and in 20 years the world will have moved on from us and we'll be wondering where it all went wrong.

I'm done. Enjoy the last years of comfort and glory mate. Good to know you sent your vote to shorten tho.

*edited cos I was an angry prick so I toned it down.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:22pm

"Never before have I seen two people tie themselves in knots to avoid facing reality."

Reality?

You are trying to argue Australia is responsible for climate change when we are close to irrelevant in the discussion, this isn't a debatably topic nobody can even argue this, it's simple math's 1.1% to 1.3% is a tiny percentage of 100% but 27% to 29% is a decent chunk of 100% (getting close to one third 33.3%)

Even if you want to look at it in that unique way Stu suggested both me and Blowin came to exact same conclusion at the same time, it makes us look a little worse historically and makes China look a tiny bit better historically, but every single year China then adds on roughly 27 Australia years worth emissions.

No matter you political views, we are all depending on the major players to make a change especially China, USA, India, Russia.

And then if all the other countries like us and the rest of the world make even small changes as most are it will also help.

here is reality visually

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 7:17am

VB, the "I'm not racist, but..." resident Sinophobe and his sidekick the Prime Googlist and lowest common denominator tabloid regurgitator, affectionally known for years together as Blowindo, KNOW NOTHING, CARE LITTLE (and/or vice versa), but goshdarnit, simply LOVE a good old chinwag. A connection. Any connection. 24 friggin' 7. Just like late night talkback radio or daytime 2GB. Same subject matters too. Sad but true.

Swellnet's very own Nanna and Grumpy Uncle.

Bless.

Treat 'em as such, VB.

And give 'em enough rope...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:29am

As fires increase Australia has lost 18,000 volunteer firefighters over last Decade.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/bullying-culture-blamed-as-v...

NSW lost 3,000 in last 4 years + NSW NPWS shed 30% of Fire Staff /controls.
Enter PM's (Fake) Fiery compo to rescue both him & his girlfriend from the coals.

Feds overlap Volunteer compo schemes to get Smoko & Olive Oil off the BBQ.

2007 Rudd's Volunteer Compo Plan is still in place OZ wide & is more generous.
Scomo is exploiting the volunteers, grabbing headlines & restricting compo claims.
As both schemes run parallel then double dipping is one outcome otherwise a con.

Fire Compo Timeline (crew thanks Michael Eburn for excellent research Paper)

10 Jan 1994 - PM Keating - Disaster Relief Payment ('Major Fires')
Following 200 homes destroyed & 4 lives lost in Sydney Bush Fires + onward
Families $2,000 / Singles + V' Firies $1,000 (Income loss & Any Fire Damage)

24 Dec 2001- 16 Jan 2002 PM Howard- Disaster Recovery Payment
Following Black Xmas Fires ... Volunteer firies were paid $160 /day for said days.

2007 / 2009 -PM Rudd Fair Work Act (Employee leave agreements) *National.
https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/volunteer-careers/employers-of-volunteers
Income is matched by Large Firms + Govt pay 'small' employer's volunteer's wage.
Income replacement is paid up to min 20 days - 28 days (No income cap is set)

Recently Woolworths were quick to claim they pay their Fresh Heroes.
Confirming all of Oz is obliged & fine with Rudd's uncontested universal scheme.

Until Smoko & Olive Oil needed to be rescued from fired fiery firefighters.
Scomo: Where's the camera... PM is a hero & will pay everyone & buy the beers!
You have a go for 10 days & Smoko pays a bonus 10 days. (How good are days)
Smoko will pay $300 / day with $6,000 max...Fox & Sky News cheer loudly!

Fire Victims Payment $1,000 Adults + $400 kidz (only if house is unlivable)

https://www.bnhcrc.com.au/aggregator/sources/1

Smoko either allows double dipping or strips 18 days compo off Volunteers!
Businesses around Oz just saved $6,000 per Volunteer employee.
Volunteers on $300 /day just lost $2,400 over 28 day Fair Work Agreement.

NSW girlfriend was obviously 1st to smooch up!
Qldurrz are obliged to lick drudge off Whiteshoes so signed without looking.(SA?)
WA./ Vic / ACT can smell a rat & won't buy into Smoko's Double Dip compo scam...

Smoko gets his name from doing his grubbiest deals outside of work hours
Last Xmas was Israel's Capital + GG +Phone patches+Oz Day Year's Visa delay etc...
( Tip! Sunday School Bible Studies!) God's Draft Bill is first up after Lord's Prayer!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 6:00am

VB - There’s only one way of thinking and that is :

1/ Australia needs to do what it can to mitigate our effects on climate change ASAP.

2/ Even more importantly, China needs to do what it can to mitigate climate change ASAP.

No need to get confused or tie yourself in knots, it’s that easy. In fact , I don’t really know what you are on about when you say “ that type of thinking “.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 7:09am

Mitigation is kind of a lost cause for Australia now, for reasons mentioned above by both sides.

The best we can hope for from the current mob is a decent investment in adaptation.

Weird how politics work. More than a decade ago I attended a coastal conference and climate change and adaptation were front and centre.

it's like the last decade never really happened.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 7:36am

I was at uni in the early 90s and the topic came up in a few subjects, but at the time no-one outside of a select few were listening.

Which is why it's infuriating when people claim climate scientists are only in it for the money, because I remember when no-one in the mainstream was giving the issue any air time - leave alone giving it extra funding. They were trying to provide early warning, not get rich.

Equally infuriating, when said people ask, 'yeah, but what can be done now?' when voices have been crying to be heard for thirty years. And now we put our faith in the leader of a party that for the sake of 'retail politics' destroyed all meaningful progress - the lost decade you speak of.

And who, on one hand, wants to open the Galilee Basin and mine coal, while on the other tell us we're making great progress.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 7:59am

"Extortion Rebellion"

That was very good indod, I liked that, however your superpowers at not getting irate with other posters seems to be faltering

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:04am

Good research, TBB. Truly interesting stuff.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:10am

Speaking of very good...

"....Picture a cake. This cake represents the ability to save the planet from being altered by anthropogenic climate change. We need to not eat the cake to preserve the current state of the climate.

China is currently gulping the cake down as fast as possible, as are most countries, but because China is so much larger it is able to eat the cake at 23 times the rate of Australia. And it’s eating faster every day.

Sure , Australia has been nibbling at the cake for longer , but China has dwarfed the amount we’ve eaten in our entire time at the table within a few short years."

I have never bought into the blame China thinking, but this little exanple cannot be ignored

Nor this...

"...You know why China gets a free pass to create emissions ? Because of money. The money that the rest of the world still stupidity believes that China will give them a slice of with access to the Chinese market. The world bodies want the Chinese middle class to grow because the Western growth model is tapped out .

The economies the world bodies are counting on to fuel the continued global growth model upon which the neoliberalism they refuse to abandon depends , are China and the Green market."

Yep yep yep, the main fuckers pushing the agenda have no credibiity whatsoever. It's all about keeping the neo-liberal machine ticking over and kicking the can down the road....

and its the fools that keep screaming 'racism' whenever anyone wants to talk about the many problems that are arising with china that are the 'useful idiots'

"....but China has dwarfed the amount we’ve eaten in our entire time at the table within a few short years.""

repeated for emphasis

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:13am

...or Indian grandmothers, muslims, uppity indigenous types, hell, let's talk about eugenics...again!

(Even if numpty don't know what it is)

Hey Seppo, Trump's over there!

And doing some real interesting shtuff!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:35am

the thing is facto, there's a heap of people that do want to talk about all of the above

but your mates haven't allowed it, you just kept clamping down harder and harder on the narrative, whilst everything turned to shit...

you can only artificially suspend your position for so long. if shit don't get better, words start seaping out from all sorts of orifices and points of tension, shit popping up and out everywhere, you pushed it to the extreme. and now it's like the guy from monty python..." ...justa a one more dinner mint sir..."

Splaaaat!!!!

blood and guts and agenda everywhere....

keep pushing that pendulmn big fella

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:36am

If you must do the math and use the percentages - i.e China is using 23 times more  - then also do the math comparing population data.

Let me do it for you: China has 1.5 Billion people, we have 25 Million, meaning they have 60 times more people, meaning our per capita output is many more times what China is.

Use figures as a nation if you must, but it's a smokescreen for real world usage, and it also ignores historical figures (as already mentioned).

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:44am

Also, this: "You know why China gets a free pass to create emissions"

At Kyoto, developing countries were allowed extra emissions because it was considered - and considered correctly - that the wealth of developed countries was aided by cheap energy and that less developed countries should, to a degree, be allowed the same advantage to pull their populations out of poverty.

All this was written into the agreement long before China became the economic superpower it is.

There was a levelling off period (not sure when that is), and I'm not wholly comfortable with the mechanics of it, yet there's a moral core of the matter that's hard to argue with.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:57am

Double down, Seppo.

And lemme have a wild guess...

You don't know what eugenics refers to either?!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 8:56am

Screen-Shot-2020-01-04-at-8-55-43-am

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 9:47am

I accept all that stunet, I even subscribe to most of it...

however, there has been no conversation at all about the rising middle classes in many countries, which is fine, you cannot begrudge people a better life. however, you can question our complicit-ness in feeding the beast, especially when that beast is displaying rather questionable intentions and methods....

"...At Kyoto, developing countries were allowed extra emissions because it was considered - and considered correctly - that the wealth of developed countries was aided by cheap energy and that less developed countries should, to a degree, be allowed the same advantage to pull their populations out of poverty."

they were also given a heap of trade and human rights advantages too, that also are looking very dated, and are now being challenged ....thank fuck....

no thanks to the political class of billionaire enablers in the media (supposedly 'leftist' media) and those supposedly on the left of politics generally....

not a word about issues with china re. trade, industrial relations, human rights, or the environment, seriously what the fuck does the left even do anymore?

I could tell you but I'll trigger facto, again...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 9:02am

i do know what eugenics is, and yes I'd like to talk about it....

... but not allowed to...

another one on the list....

the very very very long list

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 9:20am

End of the day the atmosphere doesn't give a shit about per capita emissions.

Reality is China is close to one third of all emissions and rising it's going to be interesting over the next 10 years to see what happens and how high it hits, with their fast emerging middle class and huge demand for energy that comes with that, its going to pass one third of world emissions and start heading towards 50% instead. (especially as other countries reduce their emissions, its going to push others up a little)

The only real positive about China is their incentive to move to renewables is not needing to rely on anyone else for energy like coal or gas, and even bigger not needing to rely on the middle east for oil.

For us and the USA that should also be a big incentive, imagine a world were we didn't have to worry about the price of oil from the middle east and effect on our economy.

As we all know oil is the reason the USA and others get involved in conflicts in the middle east, one day we might be able to say okay, fight among yourself like you have for thousands of years, not our business.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 10:38am

"i do know what eugenics is, and yes I'd like to talk about it...."

"one day we might be able to say okay, fight among yourself like you have for thousands of years..."

Seriously warped units.

Now where's Moe?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 10:51am

good ol'alinsky 101

attack the person

carry on like a pork chop that their position is beyond untenable

anything but engage in debate

you are so brainwashed u dont even realise you are doing it...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 11:01am

indod may well get a lot of things wrong but he's right about you...

In eight years and probably just as many profiles, the only position you have ever given is your fondness for some anarcho-socialist-commune cult

and you didnt even defend that when someone asked you perfectly reasonable questions

anyway, carry on....

winning!

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 11:52am

"Mitigation is kind of a lost cause for Australia now, for reasons mentioned above by both sides.

The best we can hope for from the current mob is a decent investment in adaptation.

Weird how politics work. More than a decade ago I attended a coastal conference and climate change and adaptation were front and centre.

it's like the last decade never really happened."

Agree Freeride, we've missed the mitigation boat. It's time to focus on adaptation, and as been for some time I reckon. I'd add that all the energy wasted on arguing over cause is just that, wasted. The climate is changing, we need to plan and adapt.

I, like you and stunet, have been hearing the message at conferences and in publications for a long time. Sadly, we've wasted more than a decade.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 11:54am

The New York Times has an interesting take on our current bushfire crisis. Murdoch and Palmer get an honourable mention......
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/opinion/australia-fires-climate-chang...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm

occasionally the guardian gets it right

The death of a salesman

"...To experts in public relations, Morrison’s dramatic visit to the bushfire-ravaged village of Cobargo felt like something else – the political death of a salesman, a snowballing of anger at the way Morrison has dodged, dismissed and downplayed the unprecedented natural disaster."

dodged, dismissed, and downplayed at every crossroad

as the situation just got worse and worse, he hoped (and prayed) his god (and ideology) will save him

he thought it'd all blow over, ...or it was really the end of days coming. either way, nothing to worry about for scotty...

"...The prime minister has really got to re-look at the rhetoric and the messages, particularly his New Year’s message when he [downplayed] the fire situation. People don’t like that. This is devastation, and that messaging from him has been completely off-putting."

his eternal optimist approach became nauseating, much much more than nauseating actually ...real quick....

"...“I know Australians understand this and they’ll be pleased I’m coming back, I’m sure, but they know I don’t hold a hose, I don’t sit in a control room.”

his responses were just so so shit, every time he showed his face, he literally is not living a normal persons reality

"....they’ll be pleased I’m coming back...."

yeh nah... just wondering where the fuck are you actually...

And the " ...he's just tired"

yeh fuck no nah ...you are just a cunt...

"... The footage of such focused rage in regional Australia will also dispel a narrative that anger towards Morrison is a social media phenomenon, not one that existed in the real world. Criticism, such as from NSW minister Andrew Constance, a fellow Liberal, has crossed the political divide."

so funny how he tried to turn the whole thing into an anti social media/outrage industry debate

not this time scotty

"...The situation has unmade Morrison’s two most successful marketing phrases. The Canberra bubble has become the Kirribilli bubble, with the prime minister firmly inside. The quiet Australians credited for Morrison’s election win have found their voice."

go cobargo!

exposed the hollow man and his eternally positive prosperity church marketing gibberish for all it is...

hollow marketing spin

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm

I hope the electorate remembers the image of Smoko turning his back on a lady who'd just lost her home and was crying and asking for help.
Unforgivable.

Even before he walked away, look at the body language - side-on, disengaged, patronising... there was nothing sincere about it.

Edit: I'm going to go so far as to say it's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. Fuck me I'd like to give him a serve in front of the cameras.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 12:30pm

Must read.... this is what a leadership void looks like... a pack of bastards

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/government-rejected-major-air...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm

I hope people realise the job the ABC is doing right now to inform people in danger, and everyone who's ever got on the bandwagon about ABC funding, or who voted for the f/wits that slashed their budget, from Howard to Abbott to Morrison - who as Treasurer cut $84M - takes a long look at themselves in the mirror.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm

Great point Stu.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:14pm

Excellent point Stu

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm

And Seppo, still nonsensically gish-galloping all over the joint after all these years. Yes, comrade, keep on...winning.

Hahahahaha.

As another great sage and self-proclaimed winner once said:

“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ "

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:29pm

Was talking to a lady in a shop about the recent Yamba fires and she showed me footage of the smaller fire fighting planes that were scooping up water from the Clarence River without even having to land, and then dumping it on the burning bushland.
We need to invest some federal money into this sort of tech.
Here is a vid showing how these planes work.

One of the youtube comments

oldirtybrza
6 years ago

"...and drops its load in one second."
Boy, I know that feeling.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm

Few years on nothing changes, but what would the experts know?

"Bushfire scientist David Packham warns of huge blaze threat, urges increase in fuel reduction burns

Forest fuel levels have worsened over the past 30 years because of "misguided green ideology", vested interests, political failure and mismanagement, creating a massive bushfire threat, a former CSIRO bushfire scientist has warned.

Victoria's "failed fire management policy" is an increasing threat to human life, water supplies, property and the forest environment, David Packham said in a submission to the state's Inspector-General for Emergency Management.

And he argued that unless the annual fuel reduction burning target, currently at a minimum of 5 per cent of public land, "is doubled or preferably tripled, a massive bushfire disaster will occur. The forest and alpine environment will decay and be damaged possibly beyond repair and homes and people [will be] incinerated."

He said forest fuel levels had climbed to their most dangerous level in thousands of years.

Mr Packham produced his submission in response to a review of bushfire fuel management announced last month by the state government and to be conducted by the Inspector-General for Emergency Management."

Continued here:https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/bushfire-scientist-david-pac...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:32pm

Daniel Andrews hiding fuel load maps from the public

For many years the Victorian Government publicly released bushfire fuel load maps; but the Andrews Labor Government has failed in recent years to publicly release these important maps.

The Liberal Nationals today successfully moved a motion in the Legislative Council compelling Daniel Andrews to publicly release bushfire fuel load maps that he has been hiding for the last three financial years.

Daniel Andrews is refusing to release the data because it would show how little his Labor government has done to prepare public land.

Daniel Andrews is keeping Victorian families in fire prone areas in the dark while simultaneously telling them to prepare.

The arrogant Premier has chosen to ignore the clear recommendations from the Bushfire Royal Commission about the importance of fuel reduction burns.

This fire season is predicted to be long and dangerous and because Daniel Andrews has cut planned burns across the state, communities will be placed at an increased risk.

https://vic.liberal.org.au/News/2019-11-27/battin-daniel-andrews-hiding-...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm

I think that most importantly for addressing the fire situation is that the response has to move from the reactionary to the proactive.

In my opinion, the most important element in the scale and ferocity of the fires has been the time between previous burns and the consequential fuel build-up in the bush. The dry weather has contributed, but it’s the sheer amount of undergrowth and detritus that is the reason that the fires are so widespread and powerful.

Basically everywhere that burned around here hasn’t seen a backburn or a small fire in at least twenty years. I’d say that’s as unprecedented as any other contributing factor. A lot of the bush around here is at least knee deep in detritus . A regular annual rainfall would still see a time where this load is dry enough and potentially capable of burning with extreme ease .

What to do though ?

It would take an army of volunteers months to safely backburn the sheer area of bush which has laid unmolested for decades.

Edit : I wrote this before I’d seen your posts , Indo. Timely !

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm

And again a recent article from volunteerfirefighters.org

Scientist David Packham on what’s really causing the bushfires

As former State Fire Chiefs call for a summit on bushfires, expert and scientist David Packham explains that it has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with fuel-loads.

https://volunteerfirefighters.org.au/scientist-david-packham-on-whats-re...

And see links below the article

Bush Fire Environmental Assessment Code
VFFA Vice President, Brian Williams talks to Jane Marwick (2GB) about management of bush fire fuel and the difficulties people face when applying for permission to conduct hazard reduction activities.

But fuck what would they know, hey?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:43pm

Don't know about Vic, but NSW RFS has addressed this over and over and over again, that the "off season" has become so short that adequate backburning is severely hampered and new protocols are yet to be put in place.

It's got bugger all to do with "Green meddling" or whatever zombie facts get spouted - since when have the Greens wielded that sort of power across the land anyway? - but a slow reaction to changing environmental conditions.

You can argue till your blue in the face what's causing those changes - though a large cohort of ex-RFS chiefs are all in consensus - but the answer moving forward is something like a larger team of firefighters working through an abridged backburn season so they can stay on top of it.

Not volunteers either. 

philosurphizing... Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:47pm

Big picture perspective.
To give some scale to what has happened here so far, international media outlets have been reporting the 2018 California fires burnt 2 million acres; the 2019 Amazon fires 2.2 million; and the 2019 Siberian fires 6.7 million.
So far Australia's 2019/20 fires have burnt 12 million acres.

This planets 3 worst recent fires add up to slightly less than the current Australian fires.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:48pm

GuySmiley (thanx for series of pics ...each one worth a dictionary of late)
Could never cast better quality evil dictators to hurl us into the fiery pits of hell.

PM: "How good is despotic digital rape."
"One at a time! PM will suck on yer charred pinkies one he's kissed all your rings!"

Coach Madge :
'PM's hands are more rough than mild - 'Thanks to new PM palmolive Bully brew.'
'Pisses off the homeless whilst spare hand dips into the Fireman's Ball swear jar.

Have yer Lotto forms ready, cause after the break we announce Australia's new PM.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 1:55pm

Abridged backburn season ?

Maybe this year or the last , but this is at least twenty years of no back burning. This is not related to climate change and it’s not related to meddling Greens. It’s nothing to do with changing environmental conditions that backburns haven’t been proceeding.

It’s just poor land management.

I’ve been actively trying to get backburns done around here for the last 7 years and still hasn’t happened. They’re always too busy. So it’s either understaffing or poor utilisation of resources ie poor management.

Apologies if the reason for the severity of the fires isn’t hyperbolically apocalyptic enough.

I’d say the main reason is that back burns can go horribly wrong and so they are hesitant to employ them in the more rugged areas which are prone to running out of control. That and perhaps less logging of the mountains around here as the foresters used to back burn for access and that’s over.

I know that the National park around here is tardy on the issue. The reason for that I can’t say , but they’ve back burnt one hill in the last twenty years.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm

"“We're going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ "

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk."

that's actually what I was referring to speedy

for someone who likes to think he's the smartest man in the room you can be kinda slow ....kevvy...

there really has been a lot winning, and the associated headaches....

you do realise who's losing with all that winning?

nyuk nyuk nyuk