Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 2:30pm

'“Even if a fraction of those of us who are paying by direct debit stop our payments, it will be enough to put energy companies in serious trouble, and they know this,” Don’t Pay says website.'

Direct debit is like handing over a testicle (to paraphrase Steve Biddulph on mortgages)

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 5:19pm

Some nice ones at JBay today..
live cam ..

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Sunday, 21 Aug 2022 at 11:07pm

My go to evening surfcam tubeshooter.
A jazzie, coupla bevs, provide your own sountrack.
Watch the waves roll down the point,
Mind surf the empty ones.
Great stuff.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Aug 2022 at 4:58pm

Yesterday in the Illawarra, mining company South32 decided not to pursue an extension to the Dendrobrium mine, meaning it will close in 2030. Bit unexpected as Dendrobrium supplies coking coal for steel (not thermal energy).

Big implications locally and afar. It means the proposed Illawarra hydro and renewable hub will get a serious kick along. How else to power the steel mills? There should be real enviro benefits if potentials are realised. Now is apparently the time to innovate.

It also means, despite the recent spike, the exit from coal is very real and is also coming very fast. Keep in mind just two months ago BHP announced they were exiting Australia's largest thermal mine at Mt Arthur in the Hunter. 

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 24 Aug 2022 at 8:39pm

Some interesting points in this one, have not come across the interviewee before.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 24 Aug 2022 at 8:40pm

Perhaps they forecast lessening demand Stu?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 8:50am
velocityjohnno wrote:

Perhaps they forecast lessening demand Stu?

No doubt, VJ, and if they continue the mine will be a liability on their books. They've looked into the future and deduced it unviable.

For all the talk one way or the other, moments like this signpost where we'll be in ten or fifteen years.

Worth noting that in 2021, China built more wind farms than every single nation combined over the last five years - that includes the European renewable powerhouses.

Also worth exploring these movements if you've got kids wondering about work options. If projections continue, Australia will face a very large skill shortage in metalworkers, and niche fields in the energy sector.

Perhaps should've readied ourselves for this five or ten years ago.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 10:02am

Though I would like to see whole of life EROEI to confirm complex society can continue :)

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 12:02pm
sypkan wrote:

a reckoning is coming...

and,

something is looming...

and, you don't need to be a genius (or a conspiracy nutter) to see it...

All this talk about economic activity and a global recession in the developed world, yet you don't see too much about the looming food crisis and the reckoning that is coming in the developing world. A few stories here and there about China's drought, Ukrainian grain export issues, etc , etc. The way I see it the impact of all these food crises has yet to reach it's peak, which at a wild guess will be one winter season away so say 6 to 9 months.
At the moment there is still a trickle but once that dries up there are some huge populations on this planet that are going to be in some serious strife. And here we are still predicting economic gloom.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 12:18pm

If tradies ran the pub

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 12:46pm

DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 2:37pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 2:38pm

Romance police incoming. Travis Bickle finally found a safe space.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11141449/Club-77-Darlinghurst-S...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 2:44pm

Never seen a fox behave like this before, usually run a mile at the sight of humans . Bit weird with all the camera angles toohttps://twitter.com/edrussowx/status/1562102292693876737?s=21&t=j9L8WHDRkla8yHbK9kK7XQ

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 25 Aug 2022 at 3:08pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Romance police incoming

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11141449/Club-77-Darlinghurst-S...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 26 Aug 2022 at 7:53am

Why aren’t the Murdoch’s suing Biden for defamation ? I hope Zoe Daniel gets her motion for an inquiry passed through but somehow I can’t see it happening. Maybe Rudd needs to get in Albo’s ear a bit more . https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/04/joe-biden-rupert-murdoch...

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 9:15am
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 2:24pm

Was going to post that article myself.
I reckon it would be a fantastic street, that is, if you’re into a built-up inner city street with essentially no vegetation whose reason for being is for people to see and be seen while engaging in some pretty hard-core consumerism.
Suckers.
Let ‘em have it and I’ll keep the properly nice streets to myself.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 4:27pm

No Andy, it's where it's at, and everybody should move there asap.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 4:55pm

Stan Grant is a racist twit who really needs a solid kick in the pants.

Comments below it are pretty funny though. I thought blackface was out of order these days Stan?

DudeSweetDudeSweet Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 4:57pm

Comments below it are pretty funny though. I thought blackface was out of order these days Stan? His outburst at 20 seconds should see him charged with inciting race hate.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 5:40pm

Comments below it are pretty funny though. I thought blackface was out of order these days Stan? His outburst at 20 seconds should see him charged with inciting race hate.

https://twitter.com/RoadknightThe/status/1562978705114566656?s=20&t=7TZn...

DSDS. I’d say you are the only racist twit on this platform, simply can’t help yourself can you. Any or every opportunity to dig the boots into indigenous people. Does it make you feel powerful and important ? We know where you are from, what you do, what your pastimes are, id say you’d be the best fit for a TV ad for BCF (Boating, Camping, Fishing), as the white guy with the gut and an oversized fishing boat, big esky, big everything in fact and that includes your oversized ego. I’d be guessing but i bet you’d drive your 4 four wheel drive on beaches, the one and only last areas of refugia for nesting wader birds. Oh, i forgot, you’d definitely have an enormous Esky to fill with more fish than you need, but you’d catch them anyway to parade as a hero back in your ‘gods own country ‘suburb where you wash your big boat and clean your fish in the gutter and be heralded by your neighbours as a great Australian just doing their thing. You make sick.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 6:28pm

Stan Grant makes much more sense than you Blowhard.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 27 Aug 2022 at 6:49pm

thrill has gone

https://www.ladbible.com/news/detroit-slide-belle-isle-park-closed-desig...

"This is one of the best illustrations I’ve seen of why math calculations and engineering is so important.”

DudeSweetDudeSweet Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 3:26pm
udo wrote:

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/politics/aboriginal-land-counci...

This response in the article , allegedly from a supporter of this sensitive eco-development utilising 50,000 years of sensitive eco- development cultural knowledge, sounds more likely to be a classic pisstake:

A second supporter said developing the land would play an important role in the area’s history.

“The story of our land and preserving its history is fundamental to our identity and relationships with its First Nations, native beings and ancient land,” they resident from postcode 2086 said.

“I would be honoured to live in such a cohesive suburb of indigenous spirit and honest history.”

DudeSweetDudeSweet Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 3:43pm
mattlock wrote:

Stan Grant makes much more sense than you Blowhard.

So undisguised racism makes sense to you does it? Ugghh….you’re a disgrace bloke.

When Stan Grant , after declaring that the Aussie sporting icon shouldn’t have gotten a job as executive at Sports Australia , aggressively demanded to know what Kieran Perkins was doing to make sure the next person in his job was not another White man, Kieran should’ve slapped the piss out of Grant right on public TV and done all Australians a favour.

Stan Grant acting as if the Australian public would deny Cathy Freeman or Ash Barty a similar role if they wanted it because racism prevents it.

Fuck off Grant you divisive hate-filled , race industry parasite. Bastard is more than happy to try and push Australian race relations backwards into the mud just to grab a controversial sound bite for his dying-in-th-arse TV show.

On your bike cnt.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 8:19pm

I watched the whole program. I didn’t see it like that DSDS. I saw grants question more as a direct opportunity.. a wish even for Perkins to present his case for merit v quota. Stan seemed to be challenging the panel to cut the politico babble bullshit (Perkins response) and state their position.
That was my viewpoint anyway. Not defending Stan. Just my view on how I saw the question.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 8:54pm

I should have mentioned I was talking in general DSDS.
Not about the particular soundbyte you posted which nevertheless probably needs to be taken within context.

You sure are a nasty piece of work Blowhard.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 28 Aug 2022 at 11:52pm

well that's pretty much game over...

when 'nature' - the world's most prestigious science journal - gives up on objectivity for political ideology the world is officially cooked...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/quillette.com/2022/08/28/the-fall-of-nature...

at least they acted like they were objective throughout corona...

now they're pretty much admitting... 'no more acting - we're ideologically driven'

I honestly cannot believe it!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 4:06am

Yep, read that too in disbelief.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 7:34am
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 10:01am
bonza wrote:

I watched the whole program. I didn’t see it like that DSDS. I saw grants question more as a direct opportunity.. a wish even for Perkins to present his case for merit v quota. Stan seemed to be challenging the panel to cut the politico babble bullshit (Perkins response) and state their position.
That was my viewpoint anyway. Not defending Stan. Just my view on how I saw the question.

Yeah it was an opportunity for Perkins to state his case but I think something along the lines of "What benefits and opportunities do you think having an Indigenous..." etc would have been less aggressive and less inflammatory.
Presumably Grant did it for colour and to stir controversy.
Nevertheless, Stan Grant a bit of a legend, something close to a national treasure.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 10:02am

When false ideology has waged a war on science, corrupted public opinion, stacked governance boards and run strong disinformation campaigns to maintain the profits of a few…….. what do you expect scientists to do?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 10:46am

Seems like you're mixing two very different examples of false ideology Soggy.
One for financial gain and one for an(arguably misguided) attempt at social righteousness.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 11:40am
sypkan wrote:

when 'nature' - the world's most prestigious science journal - gives up on objectivity for political ideology the world is officially cooked...

now they're pretty much admitting... 'no more acting - we're ideologically driven'

This is interesting. Can be seen as woke infiltrating science.

But I actually support the perspective somewhat, for the following reason.

It's easy to think that "science" is some kind of "bedrock" of knowledge that gets set in stone and built upon over time as more "scientific knowledge" is discovered. Hence it's easy to think that science is actually building something factual, true and correct.

But this is a complete fallacy, particularly in the social sciences (and even biology, physics, etc).

At any point in time, all scientific "knowledge" is simply humanity's most educated guess at reality. The whole point of scientific progress is that previous "science" is falsified, overturned, and replaced with new "science".

History is full of instances in which that point in time's theories and thinking in science was very detrimental to certain parts of the population, and yet was completely falsified and overturned later, with the whole episode swept under the rug (and often deleted from the history books) as embarrassing (ie Hitler?).

Of course biology and psychology are great and completely cringeworthy cases in point. Precious theories and "knowledge" in these areas supported racist and other practices for decades and even centuries.

In any case all "scientific knowledge" should be take with a grain of salt with the full understanding that, apart from the area of pure mathematics, it is subject to being demonstrated as embarrassingly wrong and falsified in the future.

It goes without saying that this should be even more so with current "scientific knowledge" that has negative implications for certain groups in society.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 11:52am

As we continue to self-censor, walk eggshells and tie ourselves in knots.

"Self-flagellation is the disciplinary and devotional practice of flogging oneself with whips or other instruments that inflict pain. In Christianity, self-flagellation is practiced in the context of the doctrine of the mortification of the flesh and is seen as a spiritual discipline. It is often used as a form of penance and is intended to allow the flagellant to bring his or her focus to God [or other ideology]".

What a time to be alive!
We really do appear to be in the process of developing a curious, twisted new religion ironically centred around nihilism.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 12:01pm

" nihilism is actually much more closely related to idealism than to cynicism.
The cynic presents himself or herself as a realist, as someone who cares about actions, not intentions, who focuses on what people do rather than on what people hope to achieve, who remembers the failed promises of the past in order to avoid being swept up in the not-yet-failed promises about the future.
The idealist, however, rejects cynicism as hopelessly negative.
By focusing on intentions, on hopes, and on the future, the idealist is able to provide a positive vision to oppose the negativity of the cynic.
But in rejecting cynicism, does the idealist also reject reality?"

https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/what-nihilism-is-not/

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 12:32pm
gsco wrote:
sypkan wrote:

This is interesting. Can be seen as woke infiltrating science.

But I actually support the perspective somewhat, for the following reason.

It's easy to think that "science" is some kind of "bedrock" of knowledge that gets set in stone and built upon over time as more "scientific knowledge" is discovered. Hence it's easy to think that science is actually building something factual, true and correct.

But this is a complete fallacy, particularly in the social sciences (and even biology, physics, etc).

At any point in time, all scientific "knowledge" is simply humanity's most educated guess at reality. The whole point of scientific progress is that previous "science" is falsified, overturned, and replaced with new "science".

History is full of instances in which that point in time's theories and thinking in science was very detrimental to certain parts of the population, and yet was completely falsified and overturned later, with the whole episode swept under the rug (and often deleted from the history books) as embarrassing (ie Hitler?).

Of course biology and psychology are great and completely cringeworthy cases in point. Precious theories and "knowledge" in these areas supported racist and other practices for decades and even centuries.

In any case all "scientific knowledge" should be take with a grain of salt with the full understanding that, apart from the area of pure mathematics, it is subject to being demonstrated as embarrassingly wrong and falsified in the future.

It goes without saying that this should be even more so with current "scientific knowledge" that has negative implications for certain groups in society.

totally agree gsco

you clearly have a deeper understanding of the history and theories...

post modernism is real - which is an oxymonron....

but facets of the theory are 'true' and 'real' ...and show in the examples you have given...

however, if science doesn't at a minimum strive for objectivity... what is left to differentiate it from anything else?

any other pursuit or endeavours steeped in self interest?

what authority will it have in a digital landscape drenched in opinion and propaganda?

none...

'nature' journal has just opened a massive door of complications for any argument they may present going forward regarding things like climate change etc.

(as if the science communty hadn't already undermined any waning credibility they had with the corona debacle...)

dark times ahead...

yes that dark too

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 12:41pm

"History is full of instances in which that point in time's theories and thinking in science was very detrimental to certain parts of the population, and yet was completely falsified and overturned later, with the whole episode swept under the rug (and often deleted from the history books) as embarrassing (ie Hitler?). "
While I agree with your post I don't agree with this bit. The Nazi Final Solution was based on evolutionary humanism which was not mainstream scientific thought then or at any time in modern history. Only to them did it make any sense. It wasn't swept under any rug or deleted from history, it is extremely well documented so that it is never forgotten.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 12:46pm

"negative implications for certain groups in society."

Sounds like science is packing up its bat and ball and going home, just in case someone gets their fee fees hurt and unleashes an ungodly shitstorm via social media.

Yes science is imperfect but it's the best we've got short of regressing back to ideologies based around opinion, which are way more susceptible to bastardisation then empirical evidence.

I kind of feel like the culture wars have shifted into another gear with the result that, as usual, the regressive left have kicked another massive own goal as neoliberalism, for the time being at least, takes advantage of this for continued shitfuckery e.g. Labor paying lip service to being woke while releasing more huge areas for exploration for fossil fuels.
Bait and switch.
Or, simply, "look at this shiny trinket over here".

I kinda see that as being the future for quite some time - people voting for parties seen as socially progressive even though they're neoliberal through and through.
Little talk of real economic redistribution, zero talk of class.
Smoke and mirrors.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 1:03pm

NASA Live feed, Artemis I launch within 24hrs now, next gen Moon rocket,

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-coverage-of-nasas-artemis-i-mission-to...

Inspiring stuff!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 1:04pm

"...I kinda see that as being the future for quite some time - people voting for parties seen as socially progressive even though they're neoliberal through and through.
Little talk of real economic redistribution, zero talk of class.
Smoke and mirrors."

it would seem, that's the whole point

the clinton's and co. are so beholden to their 'beliefs'... no one else gets a look in

while the apologists may call it 'realpolitic' ...or present any number of other excuses...

the hubris, disregard, and self belief, clearly runs much deeper

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 3:10pm

How about previous theories of race, and the resulting Eurocentrism and justification of colonialism and the slave trade, theories which were put to bed due to the rise of genetics:

Any "scientific theory" in the social (and some physical like biological) sciences that has negative implications for things like racism, sexism, homophobia, etc, should be heavily scrutinised and thought twice about.

The current epoch in history is not distinguished or of any special importance relative to any previous epoch. In 100 years humanity will cringe at most of the body of social science knowledge like we do at it as it was 100 years ago.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 3:38pm

Yeah, nah.

It’s science. It’s objective by definition. If someone poses some freak out racist/ sexist theory it should be dismantled objectively. The idea is to debate science rationally and leave outlandish suggestions hoist on the petard of their own ideological stupidity.

Having some unelected gatekeeper from the privately owned publishing world arbitrarily decide which science is acceptable to their whim, prerogatives and sensibilities is a long step towards abandoning the objectivity of science altogether.

Nature is showing it’s true colours again.

Reputation thoroughly thrown in the toilet.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 3:47pm

you're mixing social sciences with pure science

'nature' is a science journal

whilst there is clearly crossover, as you show, in the modern context, there is clear distinction too

social sciences long ago adopted non objective methods to 'understand' stuff... perhaps too much so in the modern context, many would argue...

science is nothing without scientific method, which requires objective observation of results - even inconvenient ones... inconvenient ones which will now be often be ignored / never published, as the article shows...

inconvenient results are what often drives the big break throughs in science

science is already censored and political, despite what many may claim

but to not even entertain certain studies because they 'may' portray some group in a bad light is the road to mass ignorance, propaganda, and the worst of totally missing the ball groupthink...

I think our recent little dabble with that has clearly shown the dangers of that road

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 4:03pm

Yeah, nah.

It’s science. It’s objective by definition. If someone poses some freak out racist/ sexist theory it should be dismantled objectively. The idea is to debate science rationally and leave outlandish suggestions hoist on the petard of their own ideological stupidity.

Having some unelected gatekeeper from the privately owned publishing world arbitrarily decide which science is acceptable to their whim, prerogatives and sensibilities is a long step towards abandoning the objectivity of science altogether.

Nature is showing it’s true colours again.

Reputation thoroughly thrown in the toilet.

you really gotta to wonder where such a push is coming from...

like really really wonder...

there must be so many cats on the boards and affiliated with the publication that think its a disgraceful development

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 29 Aug 2022 at 4:08pm

Wonder if they'll back track seeing all the negative feedback?