Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 12:43pm

Have you ever heard a Japanese person trying to pronounce Qantas ? It comes out pretty funny.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 12:49pm

Can appreciate the sentiment but it hardly seems newsworthy. A couple of eggs and a dunny roll.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 3:38pm

So Boris is gone and the UK tories are probably in a bit of strife. The following critique intelligently describes the alternative.

Be thankful our choice isn't between these two lots.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 5:29pm

The new James Webb Telescope images are incredible!
https://i.imgur.com/Pp8A41F.jpeg

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 13 Jul 2022 at 5:58pm
Sprout wrote:

I read somewhere yesterday it cost 14 billion , is that right ? There were some incredible photos.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 9:47am

Feel good story for the day. Comedy of errors but they got there in the end.
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-14/rescuers-revive-unconscious-elephant...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 11:16am
Supafreak wrote:
Sprout wrote:

I read somewhere yesterday it cost 14 billion , is that right ? There were some incredible photos.

Yep more than the Large Hadron Collider but the discoveries to be made are unimaginable, literately.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 16 Jul 2022 at 2:00pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 12:22am

Was just up visiting my parents south of Townsville and saw pigs a lot. Local lady recently attacked or charged down by one. Big problem according to the locals

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 17 Jul 2022 at 12:26am

Slow movie. Ala Bamay. Great to watch.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 11:41am

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 11:45am
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 11:51am
seeds wrote:

Slow movie. Ala Bamay. Great to watch.
https://youtu.be/5s_GFlpvbbY

That was cool, gunna use one of their duck recipes to cook one of the Muscovies I just had butchered.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 11:58am

Glad you liked it.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 2:36pm
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 22 Jul 2022 at 7:04pm

simba...that unbelievable vid continues...
Pool Toy Sinkhole Vortex
A man aged 34 with Lower body injuries managed to climb out
The deceased 30 year old body was reclaimed 4 hours later.
Found at the end of a 15m deep Cavern...

Continues > Reason: No sinkholes in that area...

tbb searched for a good while & found a few reasonably similar above ground Pool Sinkholes...
2010 Large Family above ground Pool sink Hole nearly swallows the kids in a few minutes
"Immediate Supposed Reasons" : Abandoned Well or Septic Tank? Nothing backed this up!

However! This episode looks very similar!
2016-18 Large Above ground pool produces a very large Vortex Sinkhole that would trap an adult.
Also has same shape & process as Israeli pool...
Takes only 2 years for a leaking pool liner to create a decent sized Vortex Sinkhole
Actually less, as this was the 2nd pool on this site & began losing shape in just 30 days.
First pool was damaged by Storm felling branches of large nearby tree that was cut down.

Background is important...
https://www.poolspamarketing.com/trade/features/failure-vortex-the-case-...

This vid shows & owner hints at a very similar process with the tree...asks for answers!

Pool lining leaked but what caused that & to ramp that effect so fast!
Owner : "Possibly the Pool sits on the rotted roots of the former large tree!"
But a Storm Damaged tree...meaning the 2nd install sat on top of a now loosened root system.
So what we see as a furrowed tunnel network may follow the roots of a very large tree!
Now that makes a lot of sense...& seems similar to the Israeli pool vortex
This vid spells that out...reckon this dude was right to point this out!

In short the Israeli Pool was likely built on the site of a former large storm damaged / uprooted tree.
This in turn loosened the soil which failed to hold the large pool weight > slowly splitting the lining .
Constant Water leak carved out canals along former or rotted tree roots to speed the process!
Creating this Vortex sinkhole effect...in this case a rather long tree root transforms as a 15m cavern.
A perfectly natural explanation for something that at first presents as the gates of hell opening up!

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Saturday, 23 Jul 2022 at 8:18am

Was totally unaware of Sidney Nolans' Auschwitz paintings, chilling...
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/jul/23/he-could-not-expel-the-t...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 2:23pm

is it just me... or is the australian festival scene officially dead?

yes I'm old, ...but once upon a time festivals were all about, the hardly knowns, the unknowns, getting down and dirty... and stumbling onto some magic...

now it's all about 'A list' and celebrity - both the real and the wannabe

if Im honest, the last few big day outs were getting a bit aloof, coke-heady, and A list... but the fawning, celebrity obsessing, and stark stratifying were still at an absolute minimum...

now it's more about who's in the crowd than who's actually playing... that may well be due to line ups that have gone more MMM than more ZZZ... even in byron!

...but geez, shit sure has changed...

byron was always cool, and a little out there... but even byron festivals appear to have gone the way of the wankerfest

certainly not my cup of tea, ...yeh, too old past it probably...

(yet Im still capable of the occasioal drug fuelled marathon bender sesh, amongst various underground scenes Id rather not go into...)

'influencers' ...pfffffff...

they've got to be lowest parasitic scourge on modern society...

'finding' all that was once wonderful and magical... and commodifying it to the masses... purely for personal gain, and to fuel a seemingly almost society wide unhealthy scene of narcicism...

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/adventure/splendour-in-the-g...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/celebrity/james-weir-recaps-sp...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 2:11pm

byron bay... what happened to you?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 3:49pm

I can remember walking past a side stage at Somersault or BDO and seeing a band (was it Thrombus?) play a song for a small crowd while the vocals and drummer were having an argument and yelling at each other - authenticity.

Sypkan, you might love this, it's got all the elements of a Greek tragedy - only for superficial people:

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 8:04pm
sypkan wrote:

is it just me... or is the australian festival scene officially dead?

yes I'm old, ...but once upon a time festivals were all about, the hardly knowns, the unknowns, getting down and dirty... and stumbling onto some magic...

now it's all about 'A list' and celebrity - both the real and the wannabe

if Im honest, the last few big day outs were getting a bit aloof, coke-heady, and A list... but the fawning, celebrity obsessing, and stark stratifying were still at an absolute minimum...

now it's more about who's in the crowd than who's actually playing... that may well be due to line ups that have gone more MMM than more ZZZ... even in byron!

...but geez, shit sure has changed...

byron was always cool, and a little out there... but even byron festivals appear to have gone the way of the wankerfest

certainly not my cup of tea, ...yeh, too old past it probably...

(yet Im still capable of the occasioal drug fuelled marathon bender sesh, amongst various underground scenes Id rather not go into...)

'influencers' ...pfffffff...

they've got to be lowest parasitic scourge on modern society...

'finding' all that was once wonderful and magical... and commodifying it to the masses... purely for personal gain, and to fuel a seemingly almost society wide unhealthy scene of narcicism...

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/adventure/splendour-in-the-g...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/celebrity/james-weir-recaps-sp...

Totes hilaire.
Yet simultaneously at the same time, so many crucial questions go unanswered - how does a breathy little dweeb like Angus Stone sell enough records to afford acreage near Byron?
And did the guy from Love Island
out-douche the fella from Big Brother?
Did the place end up vibing and the crew getting lit?
I’m beside myself with several different types of anticipation.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 8:13pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 24 Jul 2022 at 8:21pm
AndyM wrote:

Totes hilaire.
Yet simultaneously at the same time, so many crucial questions go unanswered - how does a breathy little dweeb like Angus Stone sell enough records to afford acreage near Byron?
And did the guy from Love Island
out-douche the fella from Big Brother?
Did the place end up vibing and the crew getting lit?
I’m beside myself with several different types of anticipation.

There was one dude on love island who kept doing pumping motions in front of the glass, mirrors, other housemates, by himself, wherever and whenever. Surprisingly, he got voted out.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 8:24am
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:00pm

"The robot broke the child's finger. This, of course, is bad," Mr Lazarev said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-25/chess-robot-breaks-finger-of-seve...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:23pm

Shit Rabbs this is the beginning. Where will it end. I blame Burliegh and Shortenism for not getting the jab. The man is gunna come down on us hard until AI rules. Huxley and Orwell were right.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:37pm

Classic Seeds :-)

Always vet your chess partners thoroughly!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 12:39pm

Bloody oath. A fantastic left hook won’t make Big Brother let go of your tickle finger

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 1:09pm

In this age of shallow positivity this article is worth a moment.
Basically, focusing on pleasure while avoiding the uncomfortable stuff is a sure way to not achieve fulfilment.
Instead, the best way to be happy is not trying to be, but rather by seeking out other goals or activities.
Whether you're a surfer, a bushwalker or a martial artist, it's something most of us already realise.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-25/happiness-suffering-are-closely-c...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 25 Jul 2022 at 8:23pm

Vietnam war from the North Vietnamese perspective

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 1:37am

Stu, you'll like these photos I reckon.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 8:32am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:03am

Anyone persisting with Slater's 'Lost Tapes'?

Watched the first one, dipped into another episode, not sure of the number but he was in Bali, and wondering if I'm missing the gold or it just ain't there.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 10:13am

I watched one last night, he was in Tahiti, it was a jeans commercial, pretty boring really.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 11:51am

I have watched a few. OK to watch.

Slater is quite a unique human, perceptive commentator on all things surfing and amazing athlete but the Lost Tapes reveal almost too much and leaves you feeling a little flat.

He is less happy, less secure in his own skin, less content and more dependent on maintaining the flow of competitive wins, public approval and the endorphin boosts multitudes of friendships / social media hits to stave off something .... unhappiness? ... than I expected.

Being "unfiltered" is intentional but leaving some mystery as per Tom Curren, Mickey Dora or Michael Peterson is way more interesting and "legend" sustaining.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 at 12:45pm

Got to agree Frog.

I do find it fascinating, just seeing the difference between the rhetoric and the reality.

He's quite the head case, by his own admission.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 11:38am

Yesterday, Boyan Slat and the Ocean Cleanup celebrated passing a milestone: 100,000kg of plastic removed from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

That's approximately 1/1,000 the volume of the GPGP. Still, they're on their way, and similar Interceptor systems have been launched at a number of countries with plastic pollution problems.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 27 Jul 2022 at 12:21pm

wow. that is something to be very optimistic about.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 2:17pm

Holy Christ. Sydney is such a shit hole. Beyond me how anyone can live here.

Do the crew that do live here even realise the air itself fucking reeks? You’re breathing 50% car exhaust.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 2:48pm

Dude you're not wearing a scarf properly! get with it.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 2:50pm

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 29 Jul 2022 at 8:18pm

How bloody typical...First week & Labor go soft on Border Control.
People smugglers new outta this world business model cuts out the middle man...

We decide which Space Junk crash lands in our paddocks to fuel an epic intergalactic Bush Fire!
PM Tony reckons the Illegal Alien Craft must have breached our atmosphere on Election Day!

Boffin says Aussies saw the Alien Invasion or maybe that glow in the dark UFO Cannabis Plant.
9th July 2022 [7:05] Space X 1 (Trunk) Fell to Earth over Oz skies.

CASA tells Farmer not to hassle them with high brow Intergalactic Overdrive issues.
"Just teleport yourself to NASA!"
I'm a Dalgety Farmer : "What am I gonna say to NASA?"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-29/space-junk-found-in-nsw-snowy-mou...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-29/rare-pieces-of-space-junk-potenti...
Internet Police : This is not a laughing matter...Space X Jokes will disintegrate upon entry!
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/wawvhx/space_junk_potentially_f...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-28/chinese-long-march-booster-rocket...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 4:19pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-30/cheating-rife-australian-unis-onl...

What's the solution to this one, Brains Trust?
Ban all graduates from your workplace's hiring?
Develop an app to detect if their phone has ever gone to a cheating site?
Ask Chegg for an answer?

It really devalues the degrees, if you consider it's not even their own work.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 30 Jul 2022 at 5:25pm

I've come across many people in management with masters, post graduate certificates etc... etc...They collect these 'trophy' bits of paper which often don't have any application in the real world, but they move up anyway. They are people in power and they are clueless. They use corpo speak like it means something; delegate to everyone, meet (make up) bullshit KPI's, add them to their resume and climb the ladder without putting in the hard yards. They operate on self promotion and narcissism; press palms with the people that matter and if it looks like it's going belly up, they move on and up before they're found out. I sympathise with the internationals who are just trying to get ahead, but their education is valueless if they cheat to just tick off their assignments. The nursing profession is returning to onsite, hands on learning. (It used to happen 20 years ago). Hands on learning is one solution. Another is hand written exams and assignments under supervision. Hand writing - a lost art. Alas, it won't happen anytime soon. The university sausage factory are not purveyors of fine meat, instead they pocket the fees and churn out footy franks.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 10:24am

Why Dutch farmers are revolting

https://unherd.com/2022/07/why-dutch-farmers-are-revolting/

a comment...

"Steve Jolly

11 days ago

A warning to environmentalists. When environmental directives clash with human needs, the latter will win ten times out of ten. The lions, tigers, and bears of the world don’t care that the food they eat might be a living creature or serve some greater environmental purpose, they just eat it because they are hungry. Only our relative abundance allows us to imagine we are better than they. Take away that abundance, and we will not be much different. Take that lesson to heart. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY way to “save the planet” from humanity (accepting the arguable premise that it even needs saving) is through innovation and technology that maintains production of things like food and energy. If environmental policies result in widespread economic hardship, it will lead to political changes that put other concerns back in charge, resulting in compromise that falls far short of what most ‘environmentalists’ believe is needed. If environmentalists wanted to be more productive, they’d all get out of politics and use their considerable intellects and resources towards finding actual solutions to these problems. People collectively are neither slaves to nature nor its master. They are, rather, a force of nature, and as any other, they can be harnessed, managed, and understood, but can never be fully controlled. Here’s an analogy for environmental types. Having government force changes like this is rather like trying to stop a volcano by filling it with concrete, putting an artificial stop on a natural source of pressure. It might seem to work for a while, but the later explosion will be all the more devastating. There may be a problem with nitrogen pollution, but this solution has all the elegance of a mob boss kneecapping a storeowner who fails to pay protection money. The alt-right media the author mentions, while greatly oversimplifying an issue to fit into their narrative, have at least identified a larger pattern of wealthy overlords believing they can herd humanity like sheep to achieve macro level outcomes by dictating micro level actions without eventually reaping the consequences, but there are consequences. This is why populist movements are thriving all over the world."

yep!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 10:49am
san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 1:20pm

Ah... history, the truth we understand today may not be the truth tomorrow

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jul/31/has-history-got-it-wrong-a...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 1 Aug 2022 at 3:01pm

Some good stuff there, I'll have a look at the Cromwell stuff: love him or hate him. We did get the 1689 Bill of Rights in the aftermath/fallout, so there's that. How good is law that evolves over time?

OK back to the Unis, here's MB, pulling far less punches than the ABC article:

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2022/08/international-student-cheating-...

"The real victims here are Australian students who’ve had the quality of their education eroded as universities dumbed down courses to cater to those with poor English skills.

Australians also can no longer trust that a university graduate is who they claim to be. Did they pass their studies fair and square, or did they cheat their way through university?"

They outline a history of cheating. How could you possibly employ someone as a graduate when you could get this kind of background?! And being the Aussie student doing the work to pass a table of 6 in 'group work' sucks when the other 5 can hardly speak the language.

Had a word with my studying one about it, he's happy to go there for the learning, and is working on asking better and better questions each time/lecture. It's exactly how I studied, and he's developed it himself. The grades aren't straight distinctions, but at least he's honest, it's all his own work. Seek Wisdom. Know Thyself. Don't fucking cheat.

I wonder if LVO or DLS read the forums? I'd shout them a wave any time, maintain the rage fellas.