Yep, no surprises there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 8 Jun 2022 at 7:05pm

Viz

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 7:07am

For those who've noticed that pre-post sunrise/set glow, its' from the Tongan volcanic eruption back in mid-January. Check my post here for more details..

And here's another great example this morning.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 7:34am

Is it doing anything to temperatures Craig? Looks great btw, had noticed.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 9:04am

Maybe we could get the WSL and MS-13 to do a river clean-up at La Libertad.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jun/08/its-a-war-on-the-people-...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 9:33am

VJ, a quote from here: https://public.wmo.int/en/resources/bulletin/observing-water-vapour

"Increases in water vapour in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere (UTLS) lead to radiative cooling at these levels and induce warming at the surface."

So cooling in the central atmosphere but warming at the surface as the water vapour acts like a pseudo blanket.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 9:48am

Wow, heavy SG.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 1:28pm

Dave the Rave - Did you ever own a Pipedream Quad in the 80s ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 2:26pm

thanks for the link above Craig, had a read. Must admit I'm confused a bit - understand that the water vapour would tend to force heating at lower levels, but also reminded of Pinatubo in 1990, it's incredible sunsets, and an overall lowering of world temps by a smidgeon.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 9 Jun 2022 at 4:03pm

That was because Pinatubo released way more ash into the atmosphere due to it being above ground, while the Tongan eruption was mostly under the ocean, bringing more water vapour rather than ash.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 1:16pm

Like a massive belly flop into the atmosphere :) Gotcha

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 6:37pm

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 7:12pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 7:31pm

"Nobody is mentioning the Tonga volcano. Originally reported to have sent volcanic ash about 20km into the atmosphere, NASA has now said the plume reached 58km and the shockwaves went into outer space. That puts it larger than Mt Pinatubo in 1991 that is thought to have cooled the entire globe 0.5 degrees for two years. If latest reports indicating three times as much matter was sent high into the stratosphere as the 1991 volcano, than its on a par with Krakatoa in 1883. That's well into a level 6 on the volcanic explosive index which runs to a scale of 8. Surely if the cold continues over vast areas for months, questions will be asked."

Someone's comment in here:

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/conveyor-belt-of-polar-col...

coldest start to June in decades in Melbourne,
coldest start to winter since 1989 in Sydney
Snow to 200m in Tassie, flurries to sea level! (winter wonderland)

Craig, I wonder if in post above, the person didn't understand that the 3x Pinatubo was mostly water? Or was it 3x particulate matter + water?

Anyway, cold times!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 7:32pm

Did a little inflation shop tonight.

It was relatively easy to buy shitt in season and on special.

Buying watermelons in winter will never end well for the wallet.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 8:04pm

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 9:01pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Now a $100K in the bank for a year might get you $850 interest…..Wow!

Too bad inflation makes your $100K only really worth about $92K after a year.

I should say $92850! So worth it!

True DSDS, but if you had $100K in the sharemarket it would now be worth about $80K, less inflation.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 10 Jun 2022 at 9:07pm

Craig, yes, been noticing, I have some great sunrise and sunset shots of late, but this time of year is the best for colours.

Genuine question, my Sydney local has had small pumice on the sand for months, long ago enough to be due to the Tongan quake, but the central coast beachie doesn’t have it. Anyone have an explanation to that? Any other local observations up and down the coast?

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Saturday, 11 Jun 2022 at 8:32am
batfink wrote:

Craig, yes, been noticing, I have some great sunrise and sunset shots of late, but this time of year is the best for colours.

Genuine question, my Sydney local has had small pumice on the sand for months, long ago enough to be due to the Tongan quake, but the central coast beachie doesn’t have it. Anyone have an explanation to that? Any other local observations up and down the coast?

This might help- https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-11/pumice-tonga-volcano-townsville-n...

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 11 Jun 2022 at 2:48pm

epic sunsets in my area recently. The last few evenings have been crystal clear skies but intense shades of orange/red. But the best was earlier in the week just before that real cold blast reached this region, the last of the cloud being cleared away I guess. One evening in particular completely bedazzled me - after staring at it for a while, the feeling changed from looking slightly upwards into the sunset, to looking down onto a mountainous martian landscape, like an aerial view of mars. It was amazing how it drew me in. It deadset looked like desolate red mountain peaks and valleys.

and batfink I also noticed large areas of pumice on northern sunny coast beach the other week, including chunks of a size (not far off an aussie rules footy) I dont usually encounter. And I wondered right then if this pumice was from the Tonga eruption. But not so according to that article in the link above. I'm not convinced of that

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 11 Jun 2022 at 8:15pm

Cheers Greenjam, but I didn’t read that article suggesting the pumice wasn’t from the Tonga explosion. We’ve had a lot of east winds since the explosion, and it’s a mainly determine where pumice ends up (it floats, like hope!) :-)

Unlike other years when pumice has turned up at Maroubra, all of it is small, broken up pieces. There was a large undersea volcanic eruption a few years ago and it was of variable sizes. I got one that is in my bathroom still.

That one led to a scientist finding an otherwise unknown undersea volcano erupting between NZ and Oz.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 11 Jun 2022 at 8:17pm

So the big question is why Maroubra is covered in it but the Cennie Coast beaches I frequent don’t have the same.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Sunday, 12 Jun 2022 at 9:43am

Following on from the video blowin put up on the housing thread

Next video 3/9 at 11.00min onwards……..gas led recovery anyone?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 12 Jun 2022 at 10:01am
Fliplid wrote:

Following on from the video blowin put up on the housing thread

Next video 3/9 at 11.00min onwards……..gas led recovery anyone?

https://youtu.be/caRKxQpvot4

I read this dude’s book, Diary of an Economic Hitman, years ago. Great insight into world politics. Pity every country doesn’t take heed. Nev Powers should be locked up. Gas lead recovery pffft

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 12 Jun 2022 at 5:32pm

This is not interesting its absolutely fkn Disgusting
Animals FFS -https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nine-men-arrested-after-brutal...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 12:35pm

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 1:13pm

firewire did this 10 years ago

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 1:36pm

I think Vernor started doing it around 15 + yrs ago ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 2:29pm

Udo is that the same process that coil surfboards are designed?
They were hot shit about eight years ago and had rave reviews all over swaylocks and other sites but haven't seen anything since.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 17 Jun 2022 at 6:40pm

I think Coil are more Lib-Tech Stringerless with a Vac bagged Epoxy open weave Dimple Finish ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 19 Jun 2022 at 8:27pm

Ah ok thanks Udo. When our dollar was equal with USA dollar{whenever that was} i was tempted to buy a quiver of coils but never got around to it it would have only been about six hundred for each board and then two hundred for delivery i think from memory.
Hear they went well all over the US and Hawaii but not sure how well they went in tropical water.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Jun 2022 at 11:41pm
groundswell wrote:

Ah ok thanks Udo. When our dollar was equal with USA dollar{whenever that was} i was tempted to buy a quiver of coils but never got around to it it would have only been about six hundred for each board and then two hundred for delivery i think from memory.
Hear they went well all over the US and Hawaii but not sure how well they went in tropical water.

Yeah 2013 almost ordered two, i just looked at the old email from Mike at Coil they were $600 each shipping was only $200 for one board and about $50 more if two so $1,450 USD but that was when our dollar was worth about the same as theirs.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 20 Jun 2022 at 7:36am

Great gutter journalism from Stuart MacGill last night. Almost more riveting than Tracey Gumshaw. I guess Channel 7 paid his debt off though.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Jun 2022 at 10:22am

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 26 Jun 2022 at 7:57pm

A seal ripping a fish to bits these evening. Epic to see so close..

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 8:16am

A recent study released on the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai eruption shows it was the most significant eruption regarding atmospheric wave generation ever observed.

" A broad spectrum of waves was triggered by the initial explosion, including Lamb waves propagating at phase speeds of 318.2±6 ms-1 at surface level and between 308±5 to 319±4 ms-1 in the stratosphere, and gravity waves propagating at 238±3 to 269±3 ms-1 in the stratosphere. Gravity waves at sub-ionospheric heights have not previously been observed propagating at this speed or over the whole Earth from a single source."

A cool video of the observations here:

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 8:30am

Imagine how traumatic this would have been for the poor youngster!

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/courts-law/bail-denied-for-nort...

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 9:11am

Poor kid.
The rest of his life may be a big disappointment with a start like that.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 11:20am

Orthodontic treatments for the rest of his life

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 12:35pm

Poor (or dam lucky) 14 year old!!!
Hope he is ok....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 12:44pm

May also be some happy Horses in Daddys Stable ..

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 12:51pm

Ha.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 12:52pm

yeah horrible thing to do to a young man .......some one rush that boy a couple large jars of vas ......and udos worried about the horses ,probably never be the same again either...

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 2:12pm

I wonder how much sarcasm is embedded in the comments above? I also wonder if the commentary would be different if the genders were reversed? Sorry to be the wet blanket on the boys club, but abuse is abuse. The laws are there for a reason. Many of you are fathers. Imagine a fourteen year old boy and think about how little he knows about the world. Now imagine a drunk manipulative cougar preying on that boy. Not giving a shit about him, just using him for sexual gratification -dropping him when her immediate needs have been satisfied. Now imagine the confusion, hurt and abandonment that 14 year old feels when she no longer needs him for anything. Now imagine how traumatic this would have been for the poor youngster if he was your son!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 2:18pm

Yeah fair call icandig. Bit of perspective.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 1 Jul 2022 at 2:30pm

Maybe you can’t remember being a 14 year old boy but I can. This is as far from abuse as you can get. This is heaven on a stick.

“Confusion, hurt and abandonment” lololol