Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 9:49pm

Haha thanks for the tale, long live the weapon!

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 24 Apr 2022 at 10:49pm

haha. No worries Jwithay. The weapon lives on and inspires many. A top top shelf bloke too. Cheers for prompting a flashback. Strangely many life moments have happened on that Lorne strip out of proportion to the time spent there. Best part was the waves...just a wee bit out of there. Yew!

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 3:07pm

Found out from my dad this year that this bloke is my Nana's dads brother,or my Great Uncle.
https://www.awm.gov.au/visit/exhibitions/fiftyaustralians/35
Was blown away. The highest decorated soldier in the British empire in WW1.
Lest we forget to all the fallen soldiers who fought for our freedoms in those terrible wars. Absolute heroes . Each and every one of them.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 3:25pm

Great piece of family history. Do you still have relatives in Queensland.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 3:36pm

Yeah a few @seeds...fnq. ithink the old boys putting a bkok together on mad harry.Im fascinated to learn more.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 3:46pm

Nice. I love the outback and it’s people. Genuine people that you always can have a real chat to when travelling. People and the landscape.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 3:53pm

Agreed mate. Its the real Australia, especially once yo get West of the divide. Every Australian needs to see it at least once.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 5:32pm

Great stuff BD.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 6:20pm

Cheers VJ. Just reading about his efforts on this day, and how him and his machine gunner fought no against the Turks into the next two days, despite being wounded. So keen to know more. Makes you wonder how many individual stories there must be. Have read a few books on the two world wars, particularly the first. Pretty cool to find out someone in the bloodlines was such a key player in it, and a hero. Blows me away the more i learn about this legend. What a horrible time to be alive. I bet there's hundreds of Mad Harrys on both sides. No winners in war, but respect to all that stood up when it counted. Hard to comprehend in this day and age. Alot of people could learn alot from this...myself included! ha

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 6:27pm

And i reckon this is worth sharing for the reality of war. Lest we forget.
The full citation for Murray's Victoria Cross appeared in a supplement to the London Gazette on 10 March 1917, reading:[31]

"War Office, 10th March, 1917

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officer and Non-Commissioned Officer: –

Capt. Henry William Murray, D.S.O., Aus. infy.

For most conspicuous bravery when in command of the right flank company in attack. He led his company to the assault with great skill and courage, and the position was quickly captured. Fighting of a very severe nature followed, and three heavy counter-attacks were beaten back, these successes being due to Captain Murray's wonderful work.

Throughout the night his company suffered heavy casualties through concentrated enemy shell fire, and on one occasion gave ground for a short way. This gallant officer rallied his command and saved the situation by sheer valour.

He made his presence felt throughout the line, encouraging his men, heading bombing parties, leading bayonet charges, and carrying wounded to places of safety.

His magnificent example inspired his men throughout."

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 25 Apr 2022 at 6:31pm

And just a shout out to my Nana, Harry's niece, Frieda who's health's taken a bit of a turn the last week or so. She's a great woman and sharp as a tack, a classic strong woman of these bloodlines. 93 and charging.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 9:17pm

That's quite profound BD. And hope your Nanna is well. Have shared previously my great uncle was at Milne Bay and similar to the story above, imagine to be in that situation... Hmm. Lest we Forget.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 9:24pm

Wow. Nah didn't know that about your great uncle VJ.
Thanks for the thoughts. Waiting to find out more from dad.
Cheers mate.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 9:26pm

Now, I have got something absolutely friggen awesome to share.

A pet love is to look back as far as I can into history:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230990-700-in-search-of-the-ver...

What we have here, in Genevieve von Petzinger's work, is the finding of 32 common symbols - as close to dammit as writing - in cave art in Europe up to 40,000 years old.

She is quite amazing, she's the first to go through Europe's caves and painstakingly categorise them, so this research is a first, first of a growing field.

She identified 32 symbols, that were used, largely unchanged for 30,000 years! The precursors of cuneiform, and writing, perhaps.

Even more mindblowing: (get ready)

https://images.newscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/mg30990701.jpg

The symbols were consistent around the world!

"That fits well with the discovery of a 70,000-year-old block of ochre etched with cross-hatching in Blombos cave in South Africa. And when von Petzinger looked through archaeology papers for mentions or illustrations of symbols in cave art outside Europe, she found that many of her 32 signs were used around the world (see “Consistent doodles”). There is even tantalising evidence that an earlier human, Homo erectus, deliberately etched a zigzag on a shell on Java some 500,000 years ago. “The ability of humans to produce a system of signs is clearly not something that starts 40,000 years ago. This capacity goes back at least 100,000 years,” says Francesco d’Errico from the University of Bordeaux, France."

Here's a visual presentation of it:

Incredible. It fits in with sighting circular forms in Tasmania, and being blown away seeing pictures from Germany with the same forms.

Global society? Imagine that.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 9:46pm

Can't wait to have a proper look at this VJ. Awesome. Cheers!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 9:58pm

That was an interesting read VJ. That picture of the same symbols around the world is amazing.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Tuesday, 26 Apr 2022 at 10:11pm

Very cool vj...good food for thought. Similarities with what Joseph Campbell unearthed exploring the myths and creation stories of various ancient cultures. Many commonalities across disconnected peoples. A common consciousness we share and tap in to? Simplicity moving to complexity, and back again (the emoji reference at the end of your link). It brings to mind a line of T.S Eliots...

“We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.”

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 3:42pm

Cool VJ. Jwithay, I read a lot of Joseph Campbell’s stuff in my late 20’s. Very interesting stuff although not sure if his theories were ever accepted in academic circles. They certainly were in Hollywood.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 4:08pm

It's so interesting gents - the idea of deeply shared experiences, eg Great Flood myth and the Day of the Dead/ All Hallows Eve!

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 5:37pm

I think you're right there Batfink. I've read some good critiques of Campbell's work, the man was certainly not without his faults, in opinion and theory, but I reckon some of the main findings of his comparative mythology studies hold weight, at least from my (admittedly layman) understanding of the subject. A better read (and perhaps more academically rigorous) on the topic would be 'Trickster Makes This World' by Lewis Hyde. Its delves specifically in to the trickster myth in ancient cultures and is a fascinating and well researched novel that lends credence to Campbell's overarching theory. All very interesting in any case :)

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 6:42pm

Yep, if you do to many jokes on Odin you'll be made into a horse and bred.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 8:16pm

Yes, the stories become immortal.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 8:18pm
jwithay wrote:

Very cool vj...good food for thought. Similarities with what Joseph Campbell unearthed exploring the myths and creation stories of various ancient cultures. Many commonalities across disconnected peoples. A common consciousness we share and tap in to? Simplicity moving to complexity, and back again (the emoji reference at the end of your link). It brings to mind a line of T.S Eliots...

“We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.”

Just went for a search while machining stuff in my 'lab'. Campbell, Ricketts, Steinbeck, wow, never knew about that. Loved Cannery Row, very close to my favourite book to this day. Whores and pimps and sons of bitches; virtues and muses and graces...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 9:04pm

Loved Cannery Row too. Closely followed by The Grapes of Wrath.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Wednesday, 27 Apr 2022 at 9:53pm

East of Eden for mine, an all time favourite. Cannery Row a different kettle of fish but not far behind - book brimmed with warmth. Steinbeck treated his characters with such dignity, even the villains.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 30 Apr 2022 at 10:50am

Perspective ~

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Saturday, 30 Apr 2022 at 12:16pm

On topic of language...

Mushrooms Use Electric Spike Syntax Resembling Words To Talk, New Study Shows

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Apr 2022 at 12:42pm

Maybe that’s where Barnaby got it from.

Sorry wrong thread.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 30 Apr 2022 at 10:17pm

Ha, jwithay.

I watched “Fantastic fungi” on Netflix and came out of it thinking that mycelium might be the intelligent life force on the planet!

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 11:55am

I've had a few fairly humbling, insightful chats with its intelligence over the years ;)

With proper funding, fungi research could lead to a whole host of revolutionary new practices in farming, waste disposal, bio-degradables (plastic problem addressed)...so many healthy eco-friendly possibilities. I've heard it described as natures alchemist. If it is talking, we gotta learn to listen!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 1:51pm
Patrick wrote:

Perspective ~
https://youtu.be/gcYW2iTbHOY

Perspective indeed. Thanks Patrick, that was a really positive contribution. Well worth a watch.

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 9:39pm

Tripod

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 11:55am

"I know that there is so much happening that should concern me. Crisis and revolution, war and bushfires, the pandemic and the shifts in the superpowers … But there is nothing I can offer anymore to illuminate any of that. And these days, when I read novels that are all crisis and revolution, war and bushfires, I am nauseated by their arrogance and their naivety. Every bloody novelist sounds the same now … All the same cant, all the same desire to shape the world to their academic whims and aspirations … Not one moment of beauty."
-Christos Tsiolkas

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 12:27pm

Alternatively….there’s this option. An option I wholeheartedly recommend.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 3:28pm

This one's for Stu

"Paul Kelly's 'How To Make Gravy' is set to become a Christmas film"

Essential viewing for all the family.

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/music-news/how-to-make-gravy-...

DudeSweetDudeSweet Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 3:50pm
AndyM wrote:

This one's for Stu

"Paul Kelly's 'How To Make Gravy' is set to become a Christmas film"

Essential viewing for all the family.

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/music-news/how-to-make-gravy-...

It’s still a pretty epic song but it’s so overdone now that you can really only stomach it on Chrissy day after you’ve had a couple of beers. I still get caught up in the sentiment though it’s well enough to not need to hear it for another 12 months.

A film? You’re fucking joking right?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 6:18pm

What Orwell failed to Predict was that we'd buy the Cameras ourselves

and that our Biggest Fear would be that nobody was watching..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 6:29pm
udo wrote:

What Orwell failed to Predict was that we'd buy the Cameras ourselves and that our Biggest Fear would be that nobody was watching..

Nice...

Between the competing dystopian visions of Orwell (1984) and Huxley (Brave New World), the former gets the quotes and the kudos, but it's the latter that is more accurate.

It's easier to rule people through pleasure and desire than it is through fear.

Just ask the advertising industry.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 5 May 2022 at 9:54pm

rooftop tribute...tbb is adding another secret surfer to the swellnet DIY Wavetrain set.
Was blown away with critters making & surfing own waves.
Mother Duck can surf up to 80 ducklings straight or figure 8 by number / weight / age / season.
So these ducklings surf all manner of swift turns / patterns / Speed / Deep or inshore sized waves.
This explains their expert surfing ability in Oceans / Shore breaks / River Floods / Drains / Wave Pools.
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/physics-why-ducklings-swi...

tbb isolates & the pool represents pond life with reflection on little airborne critters surfing microwaves
Crew can relate to fishing out Bees & odd insects "seemingly" drowning in the Pool.
Then noting many are well alive...
tbb admits to pathetically falling for this gig...Oh! Poor bee needs a rescue...gee thanx hero human...Wot!

One day thought...this is no accident as bees looked quite adept in the pool.
Seeing (rooftop's) Ducks reminded tbb to backtrack to these water loving Bees.

Reminder! See how Mother Duck makes or trails custom Waves for offspring...superb wizardry.

Whereas The Bodybashin' Biolocomotion Bees need to first pedal their own waves to then surf ashore!
No! Bees are not exactly built for speed...but neither is Mother Duck & she's got super cool Surf Skills!

Speed : 3 bodylengths /sec (or) 5-10m in 2-5mins...Enough to surf ashore but not across a large pool.

So if you see a bee near shore it's surfin' but out the back > 10m from shore...might need rescuing!
Try a dried leaf on a Stalk as a firm scoop as it can then slot in the Garden (In the breeze / sun).
Not near Spiders or too easy for birds...Usually insects dry out in 30m -1hr to fly off...done this heaps!
Don't be surprised if rescued insects fly back & hang as a play mate...more so Dragonflies / Wasps.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1908857116

https://vp.nyt.com/video/2019/11/18/83808_1_18tb-surfingbees-vid01_wg_10...

Seems that some bees may dive bomb to rid or drown a Bug...seen a tussle a few times.
Might consider the Bees cleanse themselves of rival contraband before entering the Hive.
Bees do indulge in alternate rich droppings that Queen might not be too fond of...(This tastes like shit!)

Biolocomotion family WOTD ~~^~~~~/\~~~~/|~~~~ /(~~~~/(`~~~~ /(C..[buzz)... /(C`[buzz)

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1069.2461&rep=r...

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:02pm

Holy phuk

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:35pm

Go .25 speed full screen

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:44pm

Like tallboys on the Tirpitz

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:46pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10778291/US-Air-Force-successfu...

The experiment used Joint Direct Attack Munition, a guidance kit that converts unguided bombs into all-weather precision-guided munition

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:50pm
Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 6 May 2022 at 4:03pm

Something to sell dumb rich people.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 10 May 2022 at 12:09pm

How quickly life can change. One minute you’re sitting pretty with the sun on your back and the next….

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 8:34am

Quick and brutal. Stumpy seemed a bit non-plussed but clearly felt discretion was the better part etc....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 8:38am

Holy shit! Do those fuckers even feel pain?

DudeSweetDudeSweet Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 8:43am

They just get on the sled and reset.