Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 23 Feb 2022 at 3:39pm

Yeah wow, what a clean and massive workshop. Dig the pastel colours - my machines are bright colours and I keep em clean too. 10:45 - I see they have a massive pantograph - they use as electrical connection but you can use cutting pantographs to replicate or scale parts. Automated polishing of a whole train!
The shinkansen are an incredible technology, and the amount of effort they put in to maintaining them is really impressive.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 23 Feb 2022 at 4:20pm

I thought you'd dig that VJ.

I actually live in Hitachi the home of the massive company bearing the name. Hitachi co. manufactures the N700 series but not here. One of my clients designed the toilets on it though.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 23 Feb 2022 at 6:46pm

So nice. The bit where they said "It can grind to 1/10th of a millimetre," I was like "yeah, my machines can do that, but not on that kind of scale." All the gantries, too - they are so ordered and perfect! Designed small gantry machines in my 20s so I love to see someone doing it on ludicrous scale. I reckon with that kind of setup you could maintain a Discovery 4 (body off chassis for some simple engine servicing!).

I'd say the Australian climate and landmass selects for manufacture and maintenance of simple and robust design that can take a hell of a beating and then keep working with easily understandable fixing in the middle of nowhere at times.

Still have a beautiful corded Hitachi sander/polisher that I bought when I was 18. Perfectly working. The little, light Hitachi electric planers were the shizz back in the day. Now I'm watching the bevy of new electric battery tools young apprentice is bringing home and while things certainly progress over time, quality build lasts a lifetime.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 1:45pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 1:58pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Mar 2022 at 2:48pm

Rained in or wave-starved?

'Searching for Tom Curren' has been remastered and ready for streaming, though not cheap - $12 for three day access.

https://nalu.tv/collections/searching-for-tom-curren/Streaming?utm_source=The+Surfers+Journal&utm_campaign=2c3e06a0fc-TheHighLine-Feb-NL-02282022&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8a672383e0-2c3e06a0fc-136207765

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Mar 2022 at 11:10am
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 6 Mar 2022 at 11:05pm

Just wondering if any of the finance heads got a look into their metals/grains & foodstuffs/energy charts over the weekend? I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.
Especially wheat, there's a large proportion of the world that spends a lot more of it's income on food than we do, this does not augur/auger well, excuse the very bad pun. That the price derives from the USD futures contract, too...
Without all the software, if you want to, you can go to Stockcharts, type $WHEAT, then choose your viewing parameters: I like to throw weekly/30 week MA/5 year/volume/RSI on for a basic overview, and yeah, fuck... Rough rice too...

Did Blowin get a ban?

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 8:47am

Nice one. Wing foiled across Bass Strait for charity.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-09/tas-wing-foiler-bass-strait-world...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 3:58pm

Anyone for the nickel futures in the last couple of days? lolmageddon

someone very big got very roasted for being very short perhaps

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 9 Mar 2022 at 4:23pm

Don't have any nickel but I saw the squeeze, brutal!

https://www.afr.com/markets/commodities/nickel-soars-past-us100k-as-big-...

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 7:56am
flollo wrote:

Don't have any nickel but I saw the squeeze, brutal!

https://www.afr.com/markets/commodities/nickel-soars-past-us100k-as-big-...

Brings back dim dark memories of Sumitomos' attempt to buy the copper market back in the 80's and 90's. If I recall correctly, the Chinese did not honour their LOC's for copper shipments when the price peaked...then crashed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumitomo_copper_affair

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 10:30pm

Hey VJ, saw that ‘the copper market was suspended’ yesterday. Wow, I thought, how do you suspend an international market? Some interesting story there, no doubt. Wonder who got burned?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 10 Mar 2022 at 10:32pm

Ooh, “a major Chinese bank”. Now it gets interesting. ;-)

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 10:46am

Just listening to Scott Galloway and Ray Dalio podcast episode in Prof G. My favorite 2 humans. The first 15 mins are brutal. So good, I highly recommend it, many will like it.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/economic-cycles-investing-in-educa...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 11:10am

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 7:11pm

When developer website talks about wave pools you know something’s going on. A fair bit of detail about the competing proposals and even law suits on the Sunny Coast. Someone from SW could do a bit more research and write an article about it so people could understand what’s going on?

https://www.theurbandeveloper.com/articles/wave-pool-developers-sunshine...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 12:27pm
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 12:54pm

Yes yes yes!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 3:51pm

WTF!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 18 Mar 2022 at 3:55pm

Hahaha no way.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:30pm

The oldest surfer in the Tweed Coast Pro, Occy, aged 55, just got fourth place in his Rd of 96 heat.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:43pm
stunet wrote:

The oldest surfer in the Tweed Coast Pro, Occy, aged 55, just got fourth place in his Rd of 96 heat.

Was it because of a drop in interference ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 12:27pm

'Senate votes unanimously to make daylight saving time permanent'

The Senate voted Tuesday to end the biannual practice of “spring forward” and “fall back” under a bill that would make daylight saving time permanent — a move that reflects the increasingly popular view that the twice-yearly disruption hurts sleep and poses health and safety risks.

“Today the Senate has finally delivered on something Americans all over the country want — to never have to change their clocks again,” said Sen. Patty Murray.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 1:42pm
stunet wrote:

'Senate votes unanimously to make daylight saving time permanent'

The Senate voted Tuesday to end the biannual practice of “spring forward” and “fall back” under a bill that would make daylight saving time permanent — a move that reflects the increasingly popular view that the twice-yearly disruption hurts sleep and poses health and safety risks.

“Today the Senate has finally delivered on something Americans all over the country want — to never have to change their clocks again,” said Sen. Patty Murray.

I'm still trying to work this one out. Isn't that just changing your timezone???

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 1:19pm

Ash Barty has retired. Great interview on her Insta. What a class act. Absolute legend!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 1:47pm

Agree. What a champion.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 1:48pm

Upthread on the 6th was mentioning the spikes in metals/grains/foodstuffs prices. It was concerning as there are consequences for a great many people. Some of the next link is self inflicted government policy, but note the foodstuffs/basic items/medical equipment shortfalls:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/anger-grows...

Next up, we are getting media warnings that the spike in the (particularly) wheat chart was foreshadowing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/ukraine-war...

I can't stress enough how taking supply offline, or for that matter inflation (increase in monetary supply, imo) must be kept neglible enough to not see worldwide spikes in cereals prices.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:25pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:32pm

terrifying vj

and classic supafreak

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:33pm

"In the past five years, a cadre of fact-checkers has marched through the institutions of journalism and installed itself in the U.S. media as a privatized, quasi-governmental regulatory agency. What’s wrong with facts, you say? Fueled by a panic over misinformation, the fact-checking industry is shifting the media’s primary obligation away from pursuing the truth and toward upholding vague notions of public safety, which it gets to define. In the course of this transformation, journalists are being turned into rent-a-cops whose job is to enforce an official consensus that is treated as a civic good by those who benefit from—and pay for—its protection...."

acab

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:43pm

"...The New York Times acknowledged “some harm reduction programs do include sterile pipes—which are used for smoking methamphetamine and fentanyl as well as crack cocaine,” before declaring with utmost seriousness that “nonpartisan fact-checkers have debunked the claim” that the Biden administration “intended to pay for distribution of pipes.”

The episode illuminates one of the central ironies of the boom in narrative regulators. Fact-checking trades on readers’ respect for older journalistic values like objectivity without acknowledging the role of the prestige media in deliberately undermining those values by implicating them in the continuance of racism, sexism, and other toxic bigotries. The result is a familiar yet peculiar double game: If an article points out that a network of bureaucratic and educational activists are inculcating the notion that math is racist, that claim is right-wing hysteria. But when a journalist determines that crack pipes are innocuous, that is fact-checking..."

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:46pm

"...Yet in reality, when it comes to benefiting from state censorship, Democrats and Republicans are not created equal. Another driving force behind the growth of the fact-checking complex is the necessity of enforcing loyalty to progressive ideas that can’t survive on their own. Stripped of their specialized language and social and bureaucratic context, key articles of Progressive Church faith are repulsive to most ordinary voters, regardless of gender or race. That is true of the racialized approach to education that was just roundly rejected by San Francisco parents in recent school board elections. It is also true of calls to defund the police, to teach transgender ideology to kindergarteners, and of approaches to addiction that appear to promote continued drug use. Policies that Biden administration officials would have boasted about in front of an audience of academics and public health administrators sound different—meaning, crazy—to people who have not been socialized to accept professional class bullshit. That’s where the fact-checkers come in with their tin badges and unearned air of authority. They can declare that a story is not merely mistaken or overwrought but dangerously defective—because we, the fact-checkers, paid by the tech giants and NGOs that are in turn funded by a seemingly endless tide of dark money from billionaires who want to be woke, or at least buy a woke insurance policy, said so...."

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:51pm

"...So who is the IFCN again?

The IFCN was launched in 2015 as a division of the Poynter Institute, a St. Petersburg, Florida-based media nonprofit that calls itself a “global leader in journalism” and has become a central hub in the sprawling counter-disinformation complex. Poynter’s funding comes from the triumvirate that undergirds the U.S. nonprofit sector: Silicon Valley tech companies, philanthropic organizations with political agendas, and the U.S. government. The nonprofit sector, as it’s euphemistically called, is an immense, labyrinthine engine of ideological and financial activism that was valued at almost $4 trillion in 2019, the overwhelming majority of which is dedicated to “progressive” causes. The IFCN’s initial funding came from the U.S. State Department-backed National Endowment for Democracy, the Omidyar Network, Google, Facebook, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and George Soros’ Open Society Foundations..."

4 trillion!!!

but yeh... murdoch and hid piddly billions...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:57pm

"...So who is the IFCN again?

The IFCN was launched in 2015 as a division of the Poynter Institute, a St. Petersburg, Florida-based media nonprofit that calls itself a “global leader in journalism” and has become a central hub in the sprawling counter-disinformation complex. Poynter’s funding comes from the triumvirate that undergirds the U.S. nonprofit sector: Silicon Valley tech companies, philanthropic organizations with political agendas, and the U.S. government. The nonprofit sector, as it’s euphemistically called, is an immense, labyrinthine engine of ideological and financial activism that was valued at almost $4 trillion in 2019, the overwhelming majority of which is dedicated to “progressive” causes. The IFCN’s initial funding came from the U.S. State Department-backed National Endowment for Democracy, the Omidyar Network, Google, Facebook, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and George Soros’ Open Society Foundations..."

4 trillion!!!

but yeh... its all murdoch's millions, fox news, and 'cospiracy theorists' spreading 'misinformation'...

sure

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 3:55pm

"...identifying “dangerous misinformation,” fact checkers were instrumental in the multipronged effort to suppress inquiries into the origins of the global pandemic that has killed nearly 6 million people. In February 2020, The Washington Post chided Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton for promoting a “debunked” “conspiracy theory” that COVID-19 had escaped from a lab. In May 2020, the Post‘s Glenn Kessler, who is a member of the IFCN advisory board, said it was “virtually impossible” for the virus to have come from a lab. Those were the facts ... until a year later, when Kessler published a new article explaining how ​​the “lab-leak theory suddenly became credible.”

How to understand the epistemological process that could lead a seasoned fact-checker to do a 180 on a matter of utmost public importance in less than a year? The simple answer, which has nothing to do with Kessler’s individual character or talents, is that when it really counts, the fact-checker’s role is not to investigate the truth but to uphold the credibility of official sources and their preferred narratives. Kessler’s mind changed at the very moment when the Democratic Party machinery began charting a new course on an issue that was hurting the party at the polls..."

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/invasion-fact-checkers

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 4:50pm

I’d like to see the fact checkers take on friendly jordies baddest MP , bloody amazing there is still nothing from any media about this story . The silence is deafening.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 5:18pm

Ken Oath I’ve been waiting. Nothing. It’s incredible that no one is touching it.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 7:08pm
sypkan wrote:

".The nonprofit sector, as it’s euphemistically called, is an immense, labyrinthine engine of ideological and financial activism that was valued at almost $4 trillion in 2019, the overwhelming majority of which is dedicated to “progressive” causes.

but yeh... its all murdoch's millions, fox news, and 'cospiracy theorists' spreading 'misinformation'...

sure

Yes, it is a labyrinthine, immense, engine of ideological and financial activism, so that bit is correct. That it is overwhelmingly dedicated to progressive causes is arguable, but I’m just going to come out and call it complete horseshit. Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is almost purely directed towards human health initiatives (if that’s a ‘progressive cause’ you’ve got me, but that’s not what you meant, I suspect). George Soros is certainly a financial wizard, but let’s face it, all the denigration of Soros’s causes is just anti-semitism dressed up as a political argument.

The vast bulk of the private non-profit sector is funded by the Koch brothers and their acolytes (only one left now, nobody upstairs or downstairs wants him). Evil personified, they have been funding think tanks, institutes, euphemistically named ‘research centres’, all to promote untrammelled capitalist, no-holds-barred, bare knuckle bastardry and earth raping. They have spread misinformation about fossil fuels, everything to do with climate change science, funded politicians throughout the US to support inaction on climate change and sought to undermine the authority of elected governments. It’s all documented in books by Jane Mayer - Dark Money, and Nancy Maclean.

Murdoch is a loudspeaker for these anti-government forces, and as a media owner without peer, his ‘millions’ add up to much more than that.

I doubt you can name a few initiatives that made a demonstratively negative effect on society when done in the name of ‘progressive causes’.

I doubt you can name one.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 7:13pm
sypkan wrote:

"How to understand the epistemological process that could lead a seasoned fact-checker to do a 180 on a matter of utmost public importance in less than a year? The simple answer, which has nothing to do with Kessler’s individual character or talents, is that when it really counts, the fact-checker’s role is not to investigate the truth …

Well, actually that’s not the simple answer. That’s the conspiracy theorist indulgence in sinister forces controlling everything behind the scenes.

The simple answer, the simplest answer, is that perhaps he acquired more verifiable information. When the facts change, perhaps he changes his opinions. What do you do Sypkan?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 7:34pm

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 9:30pm

progressive causes:

"The IFCN’s initial funding came from the U.S. State Department-backed National Endowment for Democracy, the Omidyar Network, Google, Facebook, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and George Soros’ Open Society Foundations..."

in the context of the article, the IFCN is funded by the above. you may wish to dispute whether health is a 'progressive cause', but regardless the gates foundation is funding the IFCN... no vested interest there?

in the context of the above, it was the 'progressives' that reduced everything virus, vaccine and lab leak, into a contentious righteous holy goodness versus rwnj's, 'conspiracy theorists' and 'antivaxxers'

left versus right ...somewhat spuriously... (a lot spuriously actually)

so in that context, fact checkers keeping 'check' on things like virus efficacy and all the rest of it, being funded by gates foundtion is laughable at best

"...George Soros is certainly a financial wizard, but let’s face it, all the denigration of Soros’s causes is just anti-semitism dressed up as a political argument."

well that's a great way to shut down any discussion... that has worked very well... but sorry, its also utter bullshit...

as to koch brothers, yeh yeh yeh... heard it all before... don't dispute any of it.. and two wrongs don't makea right...

and, bullsht is still bullshit...

I don't care who is spreading it, it's dangerously undermining of public confidence, and, thankfully, people acoss the political spectrum are finally calling it out!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 10:01pm

"Well, actually that’s not the simple answer. That’s the conspiracy theorist indulgence in sinister forces controlling everything behind the scenes.

'conspiracy theorist'... again... sigh...

seriously dude, you guys really need to drop that little projection tool.. quick smart...

"The simple answer, the simplest answer, is that perhaps he acquired more verifiable information. When the facts change, perhaps he changes his opinions. What do you do Sypkan?"

yeh nah... anyone with the capacity for critical thought (you apparently)

anyone ...that's open minded enough to read a little wider than the 'non progressive' bubbled up sources (not you apparently)

could see there was enough intelligence in the public sphere to at least warrant an inquiry

(an inquiry biden shut down... only to open it up again 24 hours later... after the release of the most inconvenient of articles...)

it wasn't easy, but there was lots of information out there, to think biden and his sycophants weren't privvy to more than the public sphere is, ...well, ...call it whatever you want...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 5:44am

Change of Scenery. I would like to thank Ben, Craig, Stu, Steve and all the regular contributors to Swellnet. I am on my way to helping mum who's Dementia has escalated. Swellnet is awesome. Such good information and dialogue about the passion we all share. Thank you all for being a big part of my life. Happy surfing and happy living, over and out, Kindest Regards from davetherave.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 24 Mar 2022 at 6:52am

Onya Dave. Best wishes to you and your mum.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 9:39am

Turdeau getting a serve .