Some serious wisdom delivered with a smile

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 12 Dec 2021 at 11:52pm

This ones for the tech savy..

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 11:31am

I've got one of those at my place, I use it every day.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Dec 2021 at 12:17pm

“What’s this button do?”

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 8:35am

Incredible footage of a top to bottom run at Thredbo Cannonball.

Huge props to the filmer too. Go full screen

Rode this just the other day and it's hard to get my head around what these guys are doing here.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Thredbo MTB (@thredbomtb)

<script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 10:55am

made me feel sea sick one minute in.

what are they doing that is so incredible Stu?

the speed?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 11:08am

GoPro doesn't do it justice, but that track is scarily steep.

It looks like nothing at all, but where they gap the waterbars at the 15 second mark is Kai Lenny-level shit. That is a very big jump, on a steep hill, with loose surface, coming into a corner, riding a couple of metres apart. The margin for error is enormous.

And that's just the start.

The rock garden section - called Snakes and Ladders - that begins around 1:15 is hard enough to walk, there are great drops, uneven platforms, peppered with granite boulders, and they just bounce through there like started gazelles. I'd have goosebumps you couldn't remove with an angle grinder after a run like that.

All the way down the rider is bunnyhopping to connect parts of the track, some are so difficult I wouldn't have believed it possible till I saw that clip.

I 'spose that's the thing. Seeing the trail for real, and how normal people ride it, and then seeing that.

Sorta like non-surfers thinking big Chopes looks like 'fun'.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 11:52am

That was sick. Heaps technical.

You can tell those two have done that a few times.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 3:03pm

Gee Stu that’s bombing it.
Flow state for sure

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 4:46pm

Never mountain biked but went skiing in Innsbruck in 1982 to at the site of the Olympic games and did the downhill run they did in the Olympics. Took me 40 minutes to get down. Took the Olympic skiers 2mins 30 seconds to get down. A bit like that clip. Skill levels are insane.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Wednesday, 15 Dec 2021 at 10:40pm

Sick run Stu. Thanks.
Only one "moment". Pretty much flawless.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 7:28am
mattlock wrote:

Losing the rear wheel at 5:10?

Reaction time is so quick he almost makes it look like a deliberate flair.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 7:45am

Jeez that video was crazy. Exhausting and so hectic. I couldn't imagine ever doing that. And both made it through clean!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 7:51am

That was wild
I’m assuming the same way GoPro’s don’t do Nathan Florence clips justice falling out of the sky at 50 foot Jaws the same thing is happening here.
That looks like a blast, I’d love to try it, at a much slower pace obviously

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 8:13am

This is Thredbo's newest trail. Was smooth as a ten pin bowling lane when we were there, albeit a big banked bowling lane.

Not much pedalling, just bank, and roll, and pump - full dirt surfing. Only a green trail but fun as hell.

Chased my eldest down here all day and it was the best day of mtbing I've had.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 8:55am

That looks so much fun Stu. So what is the etiquette with slower front runners? In the vids there seem to be a lot of people off to the side, and the filming crew are clearly going at pace.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:28am

In general, slower riders are more timid, so they hear riders coming up behind and willingly pull over. Occasionally a fast rider will tail a slower rider and have to signal their intention to pass. All the trails have frequent passing areas to pull over on so the faster rider is rarely impeded for long.

Never seen it be an issue.

Very occasionally you'll see someone do something careless like stop on a track, or stop and not get far enough off the track, which is Trail Etiquette 101.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:30am

WOW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:48am

I literally can't watch those clips for more than 30 seconds without feeling motion sick.

Never had it with any other Go-Pro POV footy before.

anyone else getting that?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:52am

It's like a horizon/boat thing.

You need to lean with 'em Steve. Forget you're sitting at a desk, in a chair, and lay your body over into those corners, then push off your feet and get a little air time when they do. Put your hands out in front of you as if they're gripping handlebars if it helps.

Fist pump when they - you - get to the bottom.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 9:54am

What are you like in a boat Steve?

My bro and I are 50/50 into a little half cabin cruiser back home. It can be rough as guts and I'm fine. 10 mins in on sheet glass and he's puking.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 1:42pm
stunet wrote:
mattlock wrote:

Losing the rear wheel at 5:10?

Reaction time is so quick he almost makes it look like a deliberate flair.

Losing the front wheel at 1.12 I thought he was gone

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 3:16pm

This is incredible!

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 4:36pm

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 4:41pm

There's a bit going on there!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 16 Dec 2021 at 5:24pm

Jeez that's fascinating.
Would like to see footage of that line of storms approaching, reckon it'd look like the apocalypse .

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 12:04am
Craig wrote:

Frog hunting with Freeride the other week. Sound on! Fascinating!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWwYqIZBg9l/

Frogs everywhere where I live. Normally remove at least one a night from inside the house this time of year. Go driving at night they're all over the roads. Even had one crawl up my windscreen last night, just about to go, looked up and it's slowly crawling along, head cocked at a funny angle looking down at me. Safely released. All green tree frogs

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 2:17am

Fantastic Craig and little froggies

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 9:53am
gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 12:30pm
I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 1:21pm

Yeah good read Udo, thanks.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 6:08pm

This is gold (Short video worth a watch)

"Barefoot man chases down thief making off with beloved LandCruiser

Bare chested and barefoot, one Queensland man has leapt into a moving LandCruiser to foil a thief stealing his beloved car.
Terry Dennehy from Caboolture, north of Brisbane, found himself taking on the role of action hero early yesterday morning.
Mr Dennehy and his wife Dee caught sight of an intruder walking across their yard, then lost sight of him. Two hours later they heard their work car start up.

They didn't know it then but the intruder had filled up their LandCruiser with chainsaws, whipper snippers, blowers and more from the back shed.
"(I thought) 'he ain't taking it, he ain't taking it, that's my cruiser, no one's taking my cruiser off me'," Mr Dennehy said.
The drama that unfolded next was caught by a security camera.

Mr Dennehy dashed outside, ditched his thongs and leapt into the vehicle.

As he forced the getaway to a dramatic halt, the person in the LandCruiser jumps out and looks to be about to flee when Mrs Dennehy rushes in wielding a timber plank, supported by their trusty cattle dog.
After a brief scuffle the man was able to get up and flee. Police say he left behind a black motorcycle."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/queensland-news-barefoot-man-chases-do...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 6:26pm

@indo , my mate lives in redland bay Brisbane. He came across 4 thieves reversing his mitsubishi 4WD down his driveway in the middle of the day . He chased after them but they calmly drove off . They had walked into his house and grabbed the keys from the kitchen table. The police later told him the thieves want you to be home as that way locating car keys is easier . The car was used in a few smash and grabs around Brisbane and was eventually abandoned after 3 days. He was insured but not against contents and had 2 brand new unridden boards plus about $5000 worth of electronic gear and stuff for a surf trip he was about to undertake . He then got various speeding tickets and toll fines which of course he doesn’t have to pay but just the process of explaining. They caught the guys all around 17 to 23 and ice heads according to the cops . Pretty scary when you hear that they want you to be home from the cops.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 7:20pm

That reminds me of an incident about 30 years ago in Fremantle.
I’ve parked the HJ and headed off for a bit of shopping, got a dinosaur Junior CD if I remember correctly.
As I was walking back to where I parked the car I see my car being driven towards me.
It was in a pedestrian area so it was going pretty slow.
Old mate had made the mistake of leaving the drivers window down as he was driving.
As the car came up level with me I dove through the window, one hand throwing the shopping to the passenger side and the other hand smashing the guy in the face.
He stepped on the acccelerator and I grabbed the steering wheel, still with my body hanging out of the car.
I steered the car into a parked car and we sat there, engine screaming and clutch slipping.
I turned the car off, stood up opened the door and dragged the fella out.
At this stage considering it was lunchtime traffic, there was quite a crowd.
Next thing there was a lady shrieking at me “don’t hit him, don’t hit him I’m a Justice of the Peace”.
I wasn’t sure what to do - I had him in a death grip and I could smell his stink - it smelt like speed and fear.
Next thing some random saunters up real casually, assesses the situation, eyeballs the perp and absolutely nails him with a punch straight in the mouth.
Much to my delight the perp spat out a few teeth.
The cops came, took details and I never heard from them again.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 7:50pm
AndyM wrote:

That reminds me of an incident about 30 years ago in Fremantle.
I’ve parked the HJ and headed off for a bit of shopping, got a dinosaur Junior CD if I remember correctly.
As I was walking back to where I parked the car I see my car being driven towards me.
It was in a pedestrian area so it was going pretty slow.
Old mate had made the mistake of leaving the drivers window down as he was driving.
As the car came up level with me I dove through the window, one hand throwing the shopping to the passenger side and the other hand smashing the guy in the face.
He stepped on the acccelerator and I grabbed the steering wheel, still with my body hanging out of the car.
I steered the car into a parked car and we sat there, engine screaming and clutch slipping.
I turned the car off, stood up opened the door and dragged the fella out.
At this stage considering it was lunchtime traffic, there was quite a crowd.
Next thing there was a lady shrieking at me “don’t hit him, don’t hit him I’m a Justice of the Peace”.
I wasn’t sure what to do - I had him in a death grip and I could smell his stink - it smelt like speed and fear.
Next thing some random saunters up real casually, assesses the situation, eyeballs the perp and absolutely nails him with a punch straight in the mouth.
Much to my delight the perp spat out a few teeth.
The cops came, took details and I never heard from them again.

Standing ovation.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 8:19pm

You get a big bravo from me too Andy.

Hope they catch the maggot in the above vid too.

Jeez I 'effing hate thieves.

(Deleted the home page F-bomb)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 8:32pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

This is gold (Short video worth a watch)

"Barefoot man chases down thief making off with beloved LandCruiser

Bare chested and barefoot, one Queensland man has leapt into a moving LandCruiser to foil a thief stealing his beloved car.
Terry Dennehy from Caboolture, north of Brisbane, found himself taking on the role of action hero early yesterday morning.
Mr Dennehy and his wife Dee caught sight of an intruder walking across their yard, then lost sight of him. Two hours later they heard their work car start up.

They didn't know it then but the intruder had filled up their LandCruiser with chainsaws, whipper snippers, blowers and more from the back shed.
"(I thought) 'he ain't taking it, he ain't taking it, that's my cruiser, no one's taking my cruiser off me'," Mr Dennehy said.
The drama that unfolded next was caught by a security camera.

Mr Dennehy dashed outside, ditched his thongs and leapt into the vehicle.

As he forced the getaway to a dramatic halt, the person in the LandCruiser jumps out and looks to be about to flee when Mrs Dennehy rushes in wielding a timber plank, supported by their trusty cattle dog.
After a brief scuffle the man was able to get up and flee. Police say he left behind a black motorcycle."

https://www.9news.com.au/national/queensland-news-barefoot-man-chases-do...

Hows the bluey gives him nibble hahahah

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 19 Dec 2021 at 8:42pm

No pic because I couldn't do it justice but at around this time of the year dozens of fishing boats sit out on the horizon catching the bio-luminescent squid that make their way up from the depths. The fishing boats are rigged with lights so powerful to attract them that the fishos are covered top to toe without exposing an inch of skin as they'd be frazzled in no time. Not so bad as it's currently below zero outside.

I've been putting up my Christmas lights outside today (I'm about 80% solar this year, aiming for 100% next) and I'm kinda struck by seeing how beautiful the full moon looks out over the ocean and the twinkling lights of the fishing boats way offshore. It's really still and quiet right now and if it wasn't so cold, I'd chill with a beer and just take it all in. Luckily I can see them from the living room window and they'll still be there tomorrow in the pre-dawn as I go walk the dog.

Hard work being a fisho I reckon but I reckon it would have its moments.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 12:19pm
Wyre's picture
Wyre's picture
Wyre Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 2:44pm
udo wrote:

Do yourself a $40 Favour
https://archiesfootwear.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoeHArJrx9AIVBpNmAh1t1A...

Yep, I was genuinely surprised by how much better these are!

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 3:15pm

The human body is engineered perfectly. Ideally you'd have relaxed flat feet when standing and walking. The muscles in the feet would then contract to form an arch only when you're running. Look at native peoples still living on the land.

Arch support reinforces poor human movement patterns. Go barefoot more often and learn to move optimally (which may take work for modern-civilisation-adapted humans).
Foundation training is a good place to start.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 3:57pm

I find footwear very individualised.
Arch support hurts my back though it takes some people’s back pain away. Going barefoot or wearing wide toed barefoot style shoes work much better for me personally.
I have naturally very flat feet since I was a kid but have improved it a bit through exercise.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 10:35pm
Cockee's picture
Cockee's picture
Cockee Tuesday, 21 Dec 2021 at 9:07am

Awesome collection but Geoff not worried about 'yummy yellow' apparently.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Tuesday, 21 Dec 2021 at 11:56pm

I know there's a lot of land cruiser lovers on here

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 22 Dec 2021 at 12:23am

haha scum bag, nothing like a piece of 4 by 2 being wielded by an irate Indonesia woman

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 22 Dec 2021 at 12:30am

I missed your squid story Zen, awesome. I've seen the squid boats when I was out at sea.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 22 Dec 2021 at 4:37am

Interesting Zen and funny.

If you just keep your eyes peeled you’ll see something cool when you hang around wild animals.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 23 Dec 2021 at 6:44am

Extinct tree from the time of Jesus rises from the dead in Israel - BBC REEL