Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 10:40am

looks like the whole of the biden press protection racket has even turned on him for this major fuck up...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/media-crushes-biden-afghanistan-taliban

yeh, it's fox news, but one can assume the quotes are good

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 10:44am

Twiggy the messiah, no he's just a very naughty boy and a greedy cunt as well

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 10:47am

C-bomb homepage extinguisher post.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 10:59am

Apologies Stu

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 11:08am

All good.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 12:18pm

An utterly tragic denouement and hopefully an end to the era of US exceptionalism (but I doubt it).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-17/joe-biden-afghanistan-kabul-withd...

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 2:02pm

Considering how the lives of so many women are about to change in Afghanistan, did anyone notice how many women there were trying to hitch a ride on that American military transport plane.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 2:32pm

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 2:29pm

this really is panning out rather badly for biden...

https://mobile.twitter.com/whitneyleerob/status/1427386966685913092?ref_...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 2:30pm
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 2:35pm

biden's fave political tactic of the basement man, biding and a hiding, really coming back to haunt him...

'bad political optics' ...to say the least...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/msnbc-white-house-photo-of-biden-br...

seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

him and his media propagandaist continuing their little holidays away from the lime light

the incompetence of the whole current democrat party just continues to beggar belief....

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:00pm

I'm not sure it's fair to tag Biden with the Afganhistan failure.

Bush started that war.

Trump promised the end of American involvement.

They had to get out sometime.......did no one not expect the Taliban to take over again?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:15pm

It wasn’t that they got out, it was how they got out.

Biden has had 8 months to stage an orderly handover or at least try. Instead he was claiming a few weeks ago that the situation we are witnessing was unlikely to unfold.

And then he went on holidays whilst the shit hit the fan ala Scomo in Hawaii whilst Australia burned.

The thing about the whole situation that alarms me the most is the way the MSM still keeps referencing the initial invasion based on some utterly farcical 9/11 connection as though it was legitimate. Is there a single person on Earth who still falls for this shit? Yet there it is …..fighting terrorism. Worse is that the US government is now repeating the same gaslighting mantra all over again- “ Resurgent Taliban is terrorism threat”. Crazy stuff.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:24pm

was it ever going to end any other way?
reports claim 300,000 afghan army vs 75,000 taliban. true?
says a lot. probs had the red carpet out.
20 years too late.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:27pm

US taxpayers contributed 88 billion dollars to train and equip the Afghan army. Works out at about a billion dollars per minute of resistance.

Anyway the war was a success. It transferred trillions of dollars from the US people into corporate hands. That’s the only mission and it was accomplished.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:29pm

Biden , as the POTUS , has access to the ( so called ) best experts on the planet . The shambles of the withdrawal shows so clearly how the average person can not rely on the opinions of the experts that they believe and trust will look after them . The average man , women and child are again the ones to pay the terrible price . So sad !!!!!!!

If he didn't like what Trump had organised he should have changed it . To criticise the Afghan army is a very weak act .

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:37pm
Blowin wrote:

US taxpayers contributed 88 billion dollars to train and equip the Afghan army. Works out at about a billion dollars per minute of resistance.

Anyway the war was a success. It transferred trillions of dollars from the US people into corporate hands. That’s the only mission and it was accomplished.

yep

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 3:56pm

What a clusterfcuk

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:15pm

Have been really enjoying this podcast series

https://fallofcivilizationspodcast.com/

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:20pm

Just incase anyone missed it, pretty heavy..wait until towards the end of the video to see where they were most likely sitting, crazy they hung on for so long.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:32pm

Thats crazy indo, not sure if this has been posted before-
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/p4s0w1/traffic_jam_as_p...

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:32pm

Great stuff san Guine!
I read the BBC History of the World by Andrew Marr last year and these podcasts look similar.
Looking back at History makes you realise the future of humanity is inevitable...and it ain't pretty!

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 5:56pm

views from the...,
I'm up to Part 7 The Songhai Empire, fascinating, well researched and impartial, leaves the listener to draw their own conclusion at times.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 7:51pm

Perhaps this is relevant:

Donald Trump, June 2021

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 7:59pm

“You have the watches, we have the time.”

Ancient Taliban proverb.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 8:29pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 8:42pm

JQ- yeah, nah. Good insight into your thinking though.

You reckon the Russians planned it and used their ex presidential asset? lol

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 8:48pm

Oh ok, what part of that video do you think I have misrepresented?

Where'd russia come into it? Does that somehow help you to feel the sweet tang of grievance that fuels you?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 8:57pm

deflect to trump....

geez, even biden's array of media gimps are saying he fucked up

but nah, not the swellnet ever faithfuls...

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 8:58pm

I said no such thing Sypkan. But you can pretend I did if that helps you.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 9:01pm

well then please explain what you are saying by posting that vid?

it's pretty bloody self evident

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 9:03pm

I'm saying exactly what I wrote Sypkan, you can obviously read.

It is relevant.

Does a bit of context rile you up mate?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 9:16pm

It’s not context. It’s an attempt to associate Trump’s virtuous initiative to end the terrible US occupation of Afghanistan with Biden’s responsibility for the catastrophic way the situation has unfolded.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 9:38pm

Might end up being the cleanest exit ‘plan’ (if you can call it that)

Ya reckon it would have been orderly if they’d stuck to the original timeline of 1 May?

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 10:07pm

Biden’s achieved the not insubstantial feat of reaching bipartisan consensus on his implementation of the withdrawal. Both Tucker Carlson et al and Don Lemon et al are both beating up on him. But neither he nor the Dems will get hurt electorally over this. To the extent middle America cares about Afghanistan they just want their troops back home. The best the West can hope for is that when the CCP does a deal amongst devils with the Taliban to exploit Afghanistan’s underground riches, it somehow manages to get as bogged down and as burnt as the Russians and the Yanks did.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 17 Aug 2021 at 11:17pm

"Might end up being the cleanest exit ‘plan’ (if you can call it that)"

...if you call leaving billions of dollars of military toys for terrorists and desperately trying to burn dangerously damaging documents before fleeing in helicopters 'cleanest' exit plan... yeh, maybe... cough cough...

"Ya reckon it would have been orderly if they’d stuck to the original timeline of 1 May?"

ya reckon it could of possibly been any worse?

seriously...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 3:14am

It was always going to be a debacle. That’s my point. There is no physical way to remove 20+ years of military hardware from that country. And yes, it could have been far worse. Far, far worse. Withdrawal in any kind of contact would be less preferable to the current situation.

I don’t think there was much chance of an orderly departure from Afghanistan, no. It’s ugly, no argument. The US totally overestimated the capacity and will of the Afghan government and military to set and sustain conditions for that to happen. Short of increased troop commitments and a resumption of combat operations*, what would you propose needed to be done? You present as a bit of an expert on this. What you got?

*direct US combat operations in Afghanistan ceased in Oct 2014. Enabling operations against the Taliban in support of Afghan forces (air strikes etc) largely ceased in May 2020 following the US-Taliban deal. Which, incidentally, highlighted the departure date and allowed 15 months of Taliban momentum (note, no Afghan govt involvement in those negotiations; way to undermine your partner, no enforcement mechanism for violations of agreement by Taliban. Worst deal ever**)

** maybe second worst, after North Korean ‘deal’. I digress

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 5:42am

“There is no physical way to remove 20+ years of military hardware from that country.”

Huh? Loading it onto the same aircraft you took it there with doesn’t sound too impossible to me. That might’ve taken a bit of planning though and it seems Biden just woke up one day and spontaneously decided the US had 24 hours to exit the country.

I guess that if the US was to take home the billions of dollars worth of equipment and arms, there’d be no need to spend billions more buying replacement gear from the corporations which control the US government.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 6:10am

Huh, didn't know you were a military logistics expert Blowin, another feather to your cap I guess.

Trumps 'deal' is entirely relevant to the context, but admitting as much would cause you to feel some cognitive dissonance, hence the aggressive reaction.

Here's an archived copy of the Republican parties website crowing about said deal (they've taken it down now of course).

https://web.archive.org/web/20210615230810/https://gop.com/president-tru...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 6:53am

Hahaha thanks Blowie.
Gave me a good laugh after a night spent dealing with a sleepless 4yo.

a. Most of that stuff came in on trucks, not aircraft. I’d say upwards of 90%. Not sure if you’ve looked at a map of Afghanistan, and who’s controlled the border crossings of late.
b. That stuff belonged to the Afghans. Did you expect the US to take it off their partners while they were still using it? (Or not using it, as it was)
c. Most of that stuff is considered low-equity, superseded and expendable by the US. Hence why they gave it away.
d. I’m not sure that an Armoured Humvee represents a threat to western freedom. Probably not going to see them rolling down George St in the near future.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 6:53am

As the American departure from Afghanistan looks more and more like our retreat from Southeast Asia in 1975, we would be wise to reflect on the words of Cambodia’s late Prime Minister, Prince Sirik Matak.  Although Matak had been named by the Khmer Rouge as one of the “Seven Traitors” and sentenced to death, he refused U.S. Ambassador John Dean’s offer of asylum.  Instead, Matak stayed in Phnom Penh and handed out copies of the final letter to the U.S. Ambassador:

Dear Excellency and Friend:

I thank you very sincerely for your letter and for your offer to transport me towards freedom.  I cannot, alas, leave in such a cowardly fashion.  As for you, and in particular for your great country, I never believed for a moment that you would have this sentiment of abandoning a people which has chosen liberty.  You have refused us your protection, and we can do nothing about it.  You leave us and it is my wish that you and your country will find happiness under the sky.  But, mark it well, that if I shall die here on the spot and in my country that I love, it is too bad because we all are born and must die one day. 

I have only committed this mistake of believing in you, the Americans. 

Please accept, excellency, my dear friend, my faithful and friendly sentiments.

Sirik Matak was allowed into the French embassy, but when the Khmer Rouge demanded all the Cambodians inside, the French chargé d’affaires surrendered them.  Khmer Rouge radio announced shortly thereafter that some of the former Cambodian leaders “have fled the country but most have had their heads cut off.”  Sirik Matak was reportedly taken to the nearby International Youth Club and decapitated on a tennis court where American diplomats had once played. 

- Peter Maguire

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:08am

It’s not Biden’s fault alone. Afghanistan has been a shit gift handed over from each Administration to the next. The version he inherited from Trump was the shittiest. A loaded trap. The damage had been done, by a naive bilateral deal with the Taliban and by an announced timeline instead of a conditions-based approach.

The Biden administration could have done a far better job of managing the withdrawal but it would have involved extending and increasing US involvement to achieve. Political suicide.

Here’s what Rupert’s mob have to say about it:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/afghanistan-withdr...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:16am

And, for all the hand-wringing about US culpability for what’s going to happen to the girls and women of Afghanistan I’d say two things: firstly, wait and see what happens, based on form the Taliban might revert to previous ways but they might not. Secondly, if things go south they should probably look first at their husbands, brothers, cousins and uncles and ask, ‘why?’

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:31am

....and that knocking you hear is a million nervous knees in Taiwan.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:45am

Haha. China haven’t wasted any time with their narrative on that one.

Reckon it’s quite a different equation tho.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 7:54am

US interest in Taiwan has never been about the Taiwanese people, it’s about China expanding their perimeter of control and US access to technology. I don’t think the Taiwanese would ever believe the US would rush to help them out of compassion. Australians are in the same position.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 8:24am

Can’t remember who said it: countries don’t have friends, they have interests.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 8:26am
simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 18 Aug 2021 at 8:30am