Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:18am

I do all four (surfing, snowboarding, MTB and fishing) and you can chuck in golf and trekking for good measure.

Boy am I tired.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:30am

@Steve,

I was all ready to fire back 'cept I had a doc's appointment this morning and some of the displaced ribs - i.e the ones that are broken in two places - aren't setting well.

"You've still got another six or eight weeks recovery, my friend," said the gentle Persian medical man.

I'd call it a kick in the guts but that'd be a delight compared to sleeping on broken ribs.

JustPassingBy's picture
JustPassingBy's picture
JustPassingBy Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:32am

I've never been injured riding nor surfing, but I tried skateboading this year (against everyone's advice) and had 3 falls that left me not able to surf for weeks after. I've now given up, my shoulder is still pretty painful after the last fall about 8 weeks ago.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:43am

nothing like that hard crack of hitting concrete.
great feeling, not.

JustPassingBy's picture
JustPassingBy's picture
JustPassingBy Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:45am

Yeah its a real slam. I'm used to weighting my back foot from surfing. Each of my falls happened as I was just finishing up my ride and not concentrating, and there'd be a drop or a stone on the track and I'd unintentionally weigh my back foot and unweight my front foot and get slammed back first... and lie there in a mist of pain thinking where the fcuk am I, what just happened?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 10:45am

I don't skate anymore- too dangerous and painful.

I used to rollerskate as a kid and did a bit of rollerblading, but upon reflection, that was just a bit too gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that- my boyfriend was a total poof.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 May 2021 at 11:01am

Freeride-Looks like a great week for Jew fishing coming up. That East swell will be a blessing and a curse.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 21 May 2021 at 11:08am

not great for here mate.
the tides are OK but E swell means very few spots to fish.

in fact, apart from the river, none.

the only all weather spot around here is now marine park sanctuary zone.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 21 May 2021 at 11:57am

Zen, if you don't push back it's not gay

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 12:40pm

That's right mate- once a year don't make you queer.

(allegedly)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 May 2021 at 12:44pm
freeride76 wrote:

not great for here mate.
the tides are OK but E swell means very few spots to fish.

in fact, apart from the river, none.

That’s what I meant about the east swell. There’s a few spots around here that might do with a bit of stirring up.

the only all weather spot around here is now marine park sanctuary zone.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 May 2021 at 1:20pm
zenagain wrote:

I used to rollerskate as a kid and did a bit of rollerblading, but upon reflection, that was just a bit too gay.

But you had a hell of a costume Zen.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 1:32pm

Damn you Google and your facial recognition software. That's Damian, Lance and I are just out of the shot.

As I said Andy, once a year...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 May 2021 at 1:40pm

Areola like slices of prime pepperoni.

Delicious.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 May 2021 at 1:42pm

Just the one time per year....so what if it lasts for 72 consecutive, chemical sweat soaked hours?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 21 May 2021 at 1:52pm

72 hours? I reckon you'd be buggered.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 21 May 2021 at 2:21pm

that was pretty funny Patrick........right up Zens alley .

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 21 May 2021 at 2:57pm

Let's not go down that dark hole simba

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 21 May 2021 at 3:29pm
zenagain wrote:

Did you do the rollerskating rink in the 80s?

For a while Mum use to take us down to the roller skating rink every Saturday morning, i remember it so clear flying around the rink to all these one hit wonder type 80s music like My Sharona, or Turing Japanese and more top 40 stuff but the DJ must have been pretty cool though because i occasionally i remember they would play something cool like the Ramones, The Cure or Adam and the ants etc

I always thought i was killing it going as fast as i could with older boys on the inside of the ring.

Then once we were buggered we would get a slush puppy slurpy if we were lucky and watch the older kids play pac man and space invaders etc.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 May 2021 at 4:05pm

That's such a long time ago isn't it Indo.
Different country, different world.
I recall roller skating to Manfred Mann's cover of Blinded By The Light so that's late 70s.

We used to have these squash courts up the road from us, had to walk through horse paddocks to get there.
The squash courts had analogue pinball machines at first, and when digital ones came to town it was a big deal.
There was a Ted Nugent pinball machine and when you hit the start button it'd play the opening riff from Death By Misadventure.

Still remember it, it was all so exciting and exotic.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 May 2021 at 4:07pm

Rock on...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 4:09pm

Pretty much all of the above guys.

Standard late 70's early 80's childhood.

Good times.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 21 May 2021 at 4:53pm

I knew it. Bunch of old cnts. I’m a fifteen year old girl who’s earliest memories are Pokémon Go.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 5:01pm

Word.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 21 May 2021 at 5:03pm
stunet wrote:

@Steve,

I was all ready to fire back 'cept I had a doc's appointment this morning and some of the displaced ribs - i.e the ones that are broken in two places - aren't setting well.

"You've still got another six or eight weeks recovery, my friend," said the gentle Persian medical man.

I'd call it a kick in the guts but that'd be a delight compared to sleeping on broken ribs.

Stuart - Sorry but 12 -14 weeks more before you can comfortably paddle on those ribs.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 21 May 2021 at 5:42pm
Blowin wrote:

I knew it. Bunch of old cnts. I’m a fifteen year old girl who’s earliest memories are Pokémon Go.

I work with kids who have no idea who Bruce Springsteen is.

Fucking savages.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 21 May 2021 at 7:34pm

Who's Bruce Springsteen?

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 21 May 2021 at 7:49pm

Dunno.
Bruce... must be an Aussie.
Maybe toured with Slim

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Saturday, 22 May 2021 at 1:27pm

this probably isnt the correct thread for this - but the above chatter on 70s and 80s growing up reminded me of this classic Aussie movie I lucked upon one night on the telly a few months back - The Swinging Safari. Check it out, it's hilarious. So many reminders of things from my childhood, not the swinging parents part, but heaps of other classic stuff. And a bunch of well know Aussie actors. Enjoy

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 23 May 2021 at 9:58am

Linda Davoli showing huge style in the photos beneath that podcast.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 23 May 2021 at 10:10am

Love that Burleigh pic
Linda was first female to surf Gland..

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 23 May 2021 at 12:11pm

That Burleigh pic is so cool, the closer you look the better the stance and attitude is.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 2:50pm
simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 4:11pm

they are kidding ...right ...233 bucks ......really

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 4:29pm

Thats what i normally pay for a Brisbane to Denpasar flight.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 5:22pm

How long till they're selling in k-mart for $50 or less?

Womble123's picture
Womble123's picture
Womble123 Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 5:54pm

Friggin insane price for Boardies. Best ones I've ever had are the Oakley Blades (that they don't seem to make any more) and they had compression shorts inside - think no rub when walking wet! And they were expensive at just over $100 AUD if I remember correctly.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 5:57pm

Quite a good survey to take if you want to know what Australians think about various issues , no personal information needed and instant feedback, interesting stat was 94 % believing theres too much misinformation. https://australiatalks.abc.net.au/

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 30 May 2021 at 10:11am

&t=421s

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 May 2021 at 4:48pm

Interesting video udo, good to see you have nailed the embedding video thing :D

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 31 May 2021 at 8:06am

Breaking news...........cricketers leave quarantine.......gasping with shock

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 31 May 2021 at 11:03am

And from everyone's favourite website, The Conversation.

Seems that multiple-choice tests are sexist, possibly misogynist.

https://theconversation.com/multiple-choice-exams-favour-boys-over-girls...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 31 May 2021 at 1:01pm

Not quite what the article says Andy. The author noted that boys appeared to have an advantage in tests that consisted of a lot of multiple-choice questions, and as such, these types of tools may not be the best type for comparative assessments.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 31 May 2021 at 1:29pm

be pretty easy to tear that research apart I reckon

if one wasn't afraid of being labelled and cancelled...

"Boys perform better than girls in tests made up of multiple-choice questions.

Multiple-choice questions are considered objective and easy to mark. But my research shows they give an advantage to males."

objectivity is bad?

well yeh it is... for the conversation, ...and their post modernist brethren... (whoops sexist... sisterhood? ...still sexist... genderhood? ...mmm not really... non binary agenda(er) seekers? ...too objective...) ...I'll move on...

"I compared around 500,000 test results of boys and girls who sat the same international test, but whose exam papers differed by detail (although not difficulty). The difference included a varied proportion of multiple-choice questions as opposed to open-ended questions."

it's widely accepted in education circles that open ended questions favour girls... due to a better command of language, engagement in reading material, a preference for fiction material over non fiction (boys prefer non fiction...) and associated better writing skills... but the conversation clearly didn't want to go there... wrong agender...

"This shows the generally better performance of males in maths exams has to do more with the format of the test than their maths knowledge."

does it?

...or does it show the old - but often widely accepted stereotype - that boys are better at maths? ...either due to brain patterns shown in recent brain scan developments, better spatial skills (cue benchong reverse parking joke), a like of problem solving, more engagement in material (see above... hard facts versus fiction), and a heap of other stuff...

"I analysed data from PISA 2012 and 2015. PISA is the largest international standardised test in maths, reading and science. Every three years, more than 500,000 students aged 15, from more than 60 countries, including Australia, take the test."

so 2 out of 3 of the subjects are what boys prefer, and/or, are more engaged in ie. maths and science. ...are multiple choice tests 'sexist'? ...or does the subject material favour boys and what they are interested in?

perhaps throw social studies in there (or whatever it's labelled this semester...) and give the girls an opportunity to show their writing flair in more open ended questions that allow it... (and more subjective marking..., influenced by the girl's flair for language, and the lovely neat writing no doubt...)

"Confidence matters too

A student’s confidence in their maths knowledge can also play a part in their performance. For example, a higher level of confidence affects how fast students can rule out an incorrect responses."

so confidence is a bad thing?

like confidence in your creative writing skills, that allows you to fill a page, and more..., ...whilst many boys are struggling to string two sentences together...

"However, previous research has shown girls with mothers working in science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM) occupations are more confident in maths and less likely to believe the stereotypes boys are better than girls."

no doubt, and fair enough... pretty hard (and pointless) making this point, without looking at engagement at home, natural ability, dare I say genes, male brain / female brains, upbringing, hobbies and interests, and not least, 'the mathew effect'... which I suspect contributes to most of these findings much much more than any perceied 'sexism'.

...but that would require objectivity, some pretty harmless, much used, categorising - stereotyping (...of the kind this author no doubt finds offensive, ...whilst seemingly, obliviously, proceeding in sterotyping...) ...and an ignoring of the agender...

carry on...

winning...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 31 May 2021 at 4:37pm

All this talk of boys and girls (two sexes) and even suggesting they are different is weird i feel like I've had a flash back to the 90s.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 31 May 2021 at 6:17pm

Triggered, Sykpan......again? The only one I see trying to cancel anything here is you. Anything (or anyone) that goes against your particular take on things gets given the whole woke lefty agenda abuse shtick, which gets a bit tedious. Keep on "winning" champ.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 31 May 2021 at 6:21pm
JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 31 May 2021 at 6:27pm

Took the words out of my figurative mouth blackers.

How's that culture war goin sypkan? Keeping on "winning" no doubt.

'be pretty easy to tear that research apart I reckon'

Why not have a go then chief? The researcher who wrote it is replying to comments on the website, nothing stopping you.