Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 12:48pm

I just googled “ Man killed Christmas cricket bat “ and it was the second link.

The first link did not mention the pertinent fact that the murder was racially motivated.

Can you imagine a White supremacist murdering someone because they weren’t white and the media refusing to report this all important fact ?

Would never happen.

And this needs to be addressed to prevent it from occurring again. No one benefits by denying the truth.

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 1:48pm

I googled those exact search terms. That shite site wasn't even on the first page.

Know how google works?

Previous search history on the same device plays a big part. Keywords grabbed by the spider.

Tailor-made.

Surprise!

Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper's picture
Dale -Cooper Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 1:49pm

Sigh.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 2:17pm

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 2:37pm

@Johnno,

All well and good but surely it doesn't take much delving to understand why the situation is at is, and then contextualise it. And, at the expense of being laughed at, yes, us whiteys should suck it up a bit.

I'm not discounting the existence of racism against whites, of course it exists, but the ratio is heavily skewed the other way, plus the power structures that fall in white favour makes it more bearable - at least it does to me.

These events have a long trajectory of course, nothing happens in a vacuum, but whitefellas, even the ones who were brought here against their will were on the side of law, gunpowder, emancipation (land ownership) and culture. The blacks, meanwhile, were vermin.

For all the platitudes about our current 'fair go for all', the fact is that institutional racism is in the living memory of many blackfellas. You simply can't gloss over 200 years of massacres, being treated like dogs, family structure in tatters, and then say, 'Hey, we're all even now'.

I can see my neighbours car out the window. Full blood Dunghutti. As a boy his family was always on the run from the government who were trying to takes the kids away. They moved from Crescent Head, Taree, Sydney, Bega, where the govt caught up and took the girls - my neighbours sisters who still come around to visit. The family patriarch Ced eventually took the family back to Crescent where, the in the mid-1980s, 'locals' tried to run them out of town by firing shotguns into their house every night.

The 1980s! What were you all doing then?

My neighbour Pete eventually moved down here, and he had a hand in establishing the Sandon Point Tent Embassy when the Kuradji Man was uncovered near Sandon Point. At the turn of the century, the surfers joined with the blackfellas from the embassy to stop the new housing subdivision near Sandon, and for a while there was solidarity. Except the development went in anyway. Few years later the locals, who once stood arm in arm with the blackfellas, burnt the embassy down - three separate times. They didn't give a shit about Kuradji Man, they used the blacks for their own ends, and when they didn't succeed they burnt down their tents.

This is just a few years ago.

Strangely, for everything that has been done to his family and his people, Pete holds less anger than most white people I meet. I can think of many people who, given just one of those events happening, would stake out a lifetime's worth of revenge and hate.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 3:33pm

Stu....no one is disputing how fucked up the situation is. But this means absolutely nothing when you’re facing off against a half dozen men who are saying they’re going to bash your white skull in , whilst their women are saying the same about your missus who is cowering inside the tent you were trying to sleep in .

The point is that racism against whites exists. Of course there is attenuating circumstances leading up to this but when you’re life is in jeopardy for no reason than the colour of your skin then your suffering is no less than those who are threatening the violence.

I’ve gone on this rant cause I was sick of some clown in Victoria telling me that I couldn’t know how others feel because I’ve never experienced racism and that I could never truly experience racism due to some hypothetical dribble about power asymmetry and the fact that I was in the majority....whatever the fuck that means when you’re facing multiple violent thugs at the same time.

PS....everything that happened to your neighbour has happened to White people I know too. And worse.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 3:37pm

I just googled “ Man killed Christmas cricket bat “ and it was the second link.
Wow. I'm tipping that wasn't just some random search.
So of all the racially motivated crimes, this one, from 2008, is the one seared in Blowin's memory. Forget all the other racially motivated murders, it's this one for blowin. He knew the date and the weapon, and then he puts up a link to a pathetic, low traffic, deeply racist website. I wonder why blowin didn't link to the ABC or any other news outlet who ran stories about this incident. I wonder why Blowin knows so much about this crime. Could it be it's one of the very rare racially-motivated crimes where the victim, and not the perpetrator, is white?
Way to promote a hate site mate. That's you in a nut-shell blowin.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 3:40pm

Well said, Stu. Of course racism against “white” people exists, but it pales in comparison with the racism that “black” people have experienced for centuries, both here and abroad. Most Westerners who have travelled overseas would have experienced some mild forms of racism, but to complain about it is a bit like moaning about a splinter when somebody else has been impaled with a metal stake. Nevertheless, racism is repugnant, regardless of who the victim is.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:23pm

In some countries in certain area's being a white person greatly increase your chances of being raped, kidnapped, mugged or even killed.

Id say that level of racism isn't like "complaining about a splinter"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:06pm

That murder was important to me because I’ve been in that same situation a few times.

It was a big deal....man spending Christmas at the beach with his family gets killed with a cricket bat. Shocking situation. It might not have been important in La La Land Victoria, but to a lot of people in WA it was a feeling of “ That could have been me . “

I remember when it happened thinking that finally something is going to be done about the common occurrence of White people being subjected to racially fuelled violence.

It’s quite a regular occurrence and it always seems to get overlooked or downplayed by the media and the police.

Already it seems that some want to pretend that serious violent racism against whites doesn’t exist and if it does then it’s barely worth mentioning and probably deserved because of the one sided view of racial violence throughout history.

Thing is , I’m not downplaying the racial violence dispensed by White people. But it’s not a zero sum game whereby if other races are violent then it means whites are somehow less guilty of hate crimes.

I’m just saying it happens and just because you think the ledgers aren’t equal, doesn’t mean the personal impact of getting the shit beaten out of you is any less affecting or real because your skin is pale.

To be honest , I’m a bit disgusted that I’m telling people that I’ve been subjected to racial violence and not only do they not give a fuck ,they still wish to paint me as the offender.

PS ....as I said before , I didn’t link to ABC or any msm because they purposefully avoid reporting that the fella was murdered because of the colour of his skin. I’ve said it a few times already. If someone chooses to not recognise this then it reflects more on their determination to paint me in a bad light.

GreenCT's picture
GreenCT's picture
GreenCT Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:00pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-08/wa-shire-residents-to-receive-nar...

Now I think this is a pretty cool targetted stimulus.

I wrote an email to the Prime Minister saying how Australian it would be to as the third round of stimulus they paid us to go on a domestic holiday.
Done with vouchers for a accommodation food tours etc so goes straight back into tourist towns and centres.
That could be our reward for been well behaved and flattening the curve.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:26pm

@GreenCT

Do you really think it would be a good idea for everyone to start going on holidays everywhere domestically?

This shit is far from over.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:27pm

@Blowin,

Not trying to diminish your angst....but I do struggle with your rationale of it. Like, surely you can understand that their anger is fuelled by centuries of maltreatment?

For me, that knowledge sits just behind their actions, close enough for me to view the two as almost inseparable.

When I was younger I was beaten up a bull-necked moke at V-Land. I was indignant and angry afterwards, but when I settled down I realised it had nothing to do with me but the colour of my skin. I was representative of Hawaii's history of dispossession.

How could I remain angry in the face of that? Even when I was the target of racism..?

Everything has to be framed through a historical lens.

Face it, we're on the winning side.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:36pm

"PS....everything that happened to your neighbour has happened to White people I know too. And worse."

Had their family forcibly split up by the government with no legal recourse?
Endured an extended campaign of terror including graffiti, high beams late at night, and shotguns fired through their house?
Had their tents burnt down while they were in them?

And you know white people who've had worse than that? C'mon...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:53pm

A few years before I moved to South Hedland there was a bloke who was just a regular fella going to work who just happened to own a nice Holden. The Holden got stolen by a bunch of young crew ( five from memory ? ) and they drove it at flat out speeds. The cops started to chase them and the thieves flew back to South Hedland and ran into a bollard in the middle of a roundabout.

A few of the thieves died.

The innocent guy who owned the car was thereafter regularly visited by mobs of crew seeking revenge ( WTF ! ) . It got so bad he left town.

When I got there a few years later , we had an apprentice who moved into that house with his dad and uncle. They didn’t know the history of the house and soon they were regularly getting the house pelted with bricks and it was almost burnt down a couple of times.

One night they were woken by a mob throwing rocks at the house and smashing windows. The dad and uncle went out to placate them . The mob attacked them . Knocked the uncle unconscious with a blow to the head with a bit of pipe and broke the dad’s arm with a fence paling . The mob started kicking them when the cops turned up and had to push their car into the mob to get them away from the prone victims.

They got attacked because they lived in a house from which a car belonging to another innocent person had been stolen years earlier.

The apprentice , his dad and uncle all had to move out as the mob visits just kept on coming.

If you’ve never lived in a town like Hedland you’ve got no idea what goes on .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 4:58pm

If that's a true story, thats pretty fucked up, it was kind of rough where i grew up inland until i was 13 but not that bad

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:03pm

Black communities suffer far more from black violence than whites do.

But that isn't racism, it's the result of social disintegration.

It expands out in concentric circles of chaos, sometimes given a name, such as 'racism' when it's against white people, 'domestic vioence' when it's against wives, or a litany of other names that ultimately end up in a jailhouse or swinging from the end of a noose.

It's a hugely complex problem, I've got no idea how to fix it, but I do know that any succesful remedy will have to address the root cause.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:03pm

If that’s true.....what ?

South Hedland doesn’t require embellishment to be a true shithole.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:06pm

Bullshit , Stu.

They attacked them cause they are white. That’s the only reason.

This wasn’t some inter- family feud. It was racially motivated violence.

No guessing required when it’s being yelled at full pitch whilst shit is going down.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:08pm

"PS ....as I said before , I didn’t link to ABC or any msm because they purposefully avoid reporting that the fella was murdered because of the colour of his skin."
I'm going to call Bullshit on you again blowin.
There's multiple reports about this case from court reporters who actually sat in on the trial. All the reports said the murder was sparked by a dispute about drinks in an esky. None of the reports mentioned any racial element to the crime.
The only website that is reporting a racial slant in this crime is a racist shit-sheet site with zero credibility. Now if you can dig up some court reports (or a credible story from a journalist who actually covered the case) about this crime being racially motivated, I will happily say you were right. If you can't point to a credible source, I will just assume you were talking bullshit again and trying to drive traffic to a racist website because they promote your racist agenda. Time to put up or shut up big fella.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:12pm

For fuck's sake....it's one event, fuelled by alcohol, against centuries of orchestrated genocide.

You want...what? Parity?

You're holding an acorn underneath a towering oak yet think you're on level terms.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:16pm

"When I was younger I was beaten up a bull-necked moke at V-Land. I was indignant and angry afterwards, but when I settled down I realised it had nothing to do with me but the colour of my skin. I was representative of Hawaii's history of dispossession."

I'd be keen to hear more about this Stu if you think its a worthy tale?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:17pm

Stu....just saw your post about the moke.

Mate , I fully understand where it’s coming from , I just refuse to accept it regardless of any historical precedent.

I’m a nice bloke. I’ve spent much time building / maintaining indigenous houses . I enjoy it as it makes me feel that I’m doing some personal ambassadorial work and helping to bridge the cultural divide between our cultures.

I don’t feel personally responsible at all for their situation. As I shouldn’t.

And neither am I liable for revenge for anything which has happened throughout history for which I am not personally responsible. Particularly when it’s the new millennium and I know just how much opportunity is extended to indigenous people to help them get a leg up.

If any one of them wanted a high paying job tomorrow, all they have to do is step forward and there will be a role created for them if necessary. I think this is a very positive step.

So when situations like this unfold it is nothing more nor less than personal responsibility when violence is committed. I’ve got other stories I can share which have come about through nothing more than racial hatred.

This has to be reigned in.

It wasn’t acceptable for an Australian to commit racial violence against a German , Italian or Japanese in 1955. Neither is it acceptable for innocent people going about their lives to be beaten because their skin is pale in the new Millennium.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:18pm

Stu....as I said before. It’s not a zero sum game.

There should be no racial violence by anyone for any reason.

And don’t think it’s just one story either. That’s some Sydney bubble bullshit.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:30pm

Vic Local....I’ve built houses for blackfellas.

Lived in their communities and worked alongside them in 45 degree heat making their world a better place . Gone in and fixed their shit when they break it. Had amazing times and made great friends. Learnt about other ways of living.

Yet you bleat your “ racist agenda “ bullshit on loop from your inbred whitewashed Victorian town. What the fuck have you ever done for anyone except jerk off whilst you signal your virtue ? Why don’t you suck my dick you silly old teacher fuck.

“trying to drive traffic to a racist website because they promote your racist agenda“ .....What is this shit ? Who the fuck do you think you are ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:32pm

Above comment deleted in 5.4.3,2...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:34pm

This is shithouse , Zen.

Got some old fruit talking unsubstantiated slander every time I post anything. Blindboy would have the lawyers involved by now.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:35pm

@Blowin,

I'm trying really hard to tell you, by way of anecdote and real history, that humans, all humans, not just Aborigines, are the products of their environment, and even if, right now, Indegenuous folk have great opportunities, they're also scarred by hundreds of years of abuse. It's not like just switching a light bulb on and, hey presto, we're all suddently illuminated.

Our actions echo on through the ages, and what our forebears did in the past - in which you or I had no agency - have sown the seeds for the current malaise. Wishing for 'personal responsibilty' is great, I'm an advocate for it, for breaking the chain, but it's also wishful thinking. In the main, humans just don't work that way; we're social animals, and if a society is damaged, it's people will be too.

There's lots of work to do and I think shrill cries of racism, that ignore the wider context, do more harm than good.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:50pm

hahaha Indo you grew up in the valley. Sure hard, working class and not a lot a spare money but hardly remote nor violent like blowin talks about.

Nah stu, sort with blowin here, I did some work in remote communities as a "government man" and our personal safety was always considered when deciding whether the trip was possible. You know determining who was fighting with who in the community, whether both camps wanted us there, whether the lockable (from the inside) compound was still serviceable for our overnight safety etc etc. As you say it is extremely complex, I have no answers at all, but violence was very common, people went from peaceful to full blown rage and acting on that rage often in a nano second. Bush hospitals can be full of assault victims from fighting within and without communities. It can be about the real everyday conflict between traditional tribal life and law and whiteman's life and law. Most city people who be totally shocked if they lived in a community and saw what went on ... Its complex

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:38pm

If you've built home for blackfellas, that's great blowin. Well done. The reason why I say "if" is because you have so little credibility on this site. You keep making things up to portray POC in the worst possible light to justify your racist opinions.
You've claimed the crime in Geraldton was racially motivated. I said prove it, and you've come up with absolutely nothing. Maybe if you weren't so loose with the truth, you wouldn't be accused of being a racist so often. A bit of honesty, and a little less talk of rounding up South Koreans for deportation, would go a long way to improving your image.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:40pm

I don't think you're a racist or a bigot Blowy. I can see where you're coming from.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:43pm

I’m not loose with the truth at all.

Everything I say you just claim it’s not true. Your opinion on what IVe done means nothing. Nothing wrong with my credibility. You really think that just casting your slack-jawed aspersions around at whim diminishes anything I say or do ?

What was it you said you’ve done for blackfellas then ? I’m there sweating my arse off , covered in flies in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and labouring hard to get a roof over their heads whilst you think think you can just claim it’s not true and this means I’m under some doubt.

Fuck off.

You’ve got nothing worthwhile to add if all you can do is undermine what anyone else has done.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:44pm

Thanks , Zen.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:45pm

I don't think so either.

VL, just for a moment, try and enlarge the conversation and imagine a world where some concepts have shifted in the light.

Try and find that new angle and the worldview it offers.

Just for a moment.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 5:51pm

"hahaha Indo you grew up in the valley. Sure hard, working class and not a lot a spare money but hardly remote nor violent like blowin talks about."

Thats why i said it "it was kind of rough where i grew up inland until i was 13 but not that bad"

Where i grew up there was lot's of housing commission areas, lots of struggle street type scenarios, full blown punch ups at school most days especially first year i went to Tech, kids even pulling knifes and shit on each other, i came from a pretty good family, but there was still lots of violence around, lot of kids i grew up with came from pretty screwed up familys, some of them ended up doing some serious jail time, dont think there was much drugs about back then, but i expect it would be meth central now.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:06pm

stunet. TBH, most of my stuff here involves holding blowin to account, and a little bit of shit-stirring about the surf. Blowin is constantly making stuff up and I'm just requesting evidence, posting up the actually figures, and calling BS when I see it.
We've seen a rapid rise in hate crimes in Australia and around the world over the last couple of decades. It starts with hate speech.
During c19, Chinese people are being targeted. I have friends with Chinese heritage and they are scared. One of them was abused in a country pub not long ago and he responded in his strong Australian accent "fark orf ya dickhead", which brought the house down. Others aren't so lucky. I understand that you allow a very open debate here, but if it was for me and a bunch of others, Swellnet just becomes a platform for some very dangerous opinions.
BTW I'm super comfortable with my world view. I treat people well unless they don't deserve it. I've been lucky enough to travel extensively, explored many wonderful cultures, seen some great sites, and met wonderful people from all walks of life.
Racism is poisonous. It's a zero tolerance thing.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept, and I'm never going to accept the standard Blowin sets ON YOUR SITE.
Peace brother.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:07pm

I don't want to get into the indigenous conversation as it's been done all before here, but im certain of one thing the current approach and mindset is never going to work, and unless people start taking notice of indigenous people like Jacinta Price and Anthony Dillion nothing will change.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:24pm

You really think there's been a huge rise in hate crimes over last couple of decades?

I reckon the opposite. As the world becomes more connected, more educated, more travelled and with information disseminated more easily, I would think that hate crimes (or what you define as such) have decreased.

The face of Australia imo has changed dramatically and I think on the whole, Australians are welcoming and celebrate their diversity. Most just want people to have a fair go and if you work hard, try and fit in, you'll do alright in Oz. In addition, the law is on your side where it wasn't in the past.

You might need to prove this dramatic rise in hate crimes Vic. Or is it up to me again to dis-prove it?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:26pm

How good is modern Australia when you’ve spent years living by choice amongst Asians and indigenous people, doing what you can to try and make their lives better and just enjoying their exotic perspectives on life and yet some strange old fuck can just call you racist on a whim on the internet .

Funny old world.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:31pm

Reckon VL owns a twin cab ute only ever driven on the tarmac but never been on the dirt? Big chance me thinks

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 6:44pm

ha ha i bought a Suzuki Vitara from an accountant on the Gold Coast when I moved up to Fraser Island, he had had it since new and never used the 4wd, thing was in mint condition, it was a rusted mess after a few years of beach driving though.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 7:06pm

How this, remembering Victoria is still in lockdown, man there is some fruit loops out there

"Ten arrested and police officer injured at protest against Victoria’s Covid-19 lockdown laws

Majority of arrests for failing to comply with public health orders as protesters rallied against self-isolating, tracking apps and 5G"

"Demonstrators in Melbourne held signs about 5G, China and the Murray-Darling River while chanting “arrest Bill Gates”. Various speakers claimed Covid-19 was a conspiracy orchestrated by “globalists”, while one of the main organisers of the rally, Fanos Panayides, told the crowd he promised his father he would never be microchipped.Social media and this fake news stuff is seriously getting out of control

Even choose a Guardian article for you guys.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/10/ten-arrested-and-...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 7:20pm

@Goofyfoot,

Rewinding to the V'Land tale: It was a long time ago, well before the estate was built and Velzyland only had a few houses near the beach separated by vacant blocks that you could walk down.

Guys I used to surf with never went there. "Leave it for the brothers," they'd say, but I'd still hit it, just park up near Freddyland so your car isn't exposed, then bolt through one of the blocks, get a few waves, have a short session, and get out of their before you attracted too much attention.

One day I was surfing with a guy who'd just flown in, Marcus, now LeBa Boardriders president, when I was shirtfronted by a teenage Mike Tyson on a bodyboard. One of those conversations I realised I had to extricate myself from pronto, so I began to paddle away when he clocked me a clean one to the cheekbone, I went under, he tried to get on top, while I struggled to swim away. He got a few less clean head shots in before I broke away. A wave broke, I caught it and yelled at Marcus who was paddling out and had no idea what happened.

Got to the beach, red mist descending, threw my board on the sand ready to fight every motherfucker, then realised every motherfucker was watching me, waiting for me to do something, say something. If I did I was toast.

So I shoved my tail between my legs, kept my head down and walked past rows of glowering eyes, then bolted back to the car and drove home in wet boardies, heart pumping.

In hindisght, I realised the guy must've told everyone he was paddling out to thump some haole arse, cos I recalled a shift in vibe, though I didn't pick up the source of the bad mana till it was too late.

As mentioned, I wasn't too bothered once I understood all the extenuating circumstances, and what it was that lay beneath that anger.

I mean, fuck, look at Velzyland now, gentrified by rich, haole pricks who built that God-ugly gated estate and shifted the locals onto somewhere else.

I'd be angry too.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 7:46pm

Heavy shit Stu, although back then probably not something uncommon?

Did you surf V-land after that? Or ever see Mike Tyson again?

Also a wise move not mouthing off on the beach! That would of ended very unpleasantly I'm thinking...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 7:49pm

zenagain, You disproved nothing.

One thing about racially motivated violence in Australia is there's no national database of incidents. That's changing soon with Dr Greg Barton working on that task.

https://www.aspi.org.au/opinion/national-determination-tackle-hate-crime

Each state and territory have their own ways of collecting data, while some states eg Victoria don't collect any "hate crime" police data. Most of the statistics are collected by universities and are based on the ethnicities of the victims.

What we do see is waves of hate crimes, such as the Anti-Asian hate crime epidemic due to Covid 19
Check out
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/survey-of-covid-19-racism-...

There was the anti-Indian wave in Victoria and particularly Melbourne about five years ago.

There was severe anti-Indigenous hate crimes in WA largely due to the radio campaign on 6PR by Howard Sattler in the early 2000s, including one indigenous man getting lynched. Howard didn't worry about that one.

There's also been a rise in anti-semitism in Australia. see https://www.abc.net.au/religion/antisemitism-in-australia-and-how-to-cou...

And islamophobia is commonplace. see https://news.csu.edu.au/latest-news/islamophobia-continues-in-australia-...

Also in February this year Mike Burgess, head of ASIO, highlighted the increased threat of Right Wing terrorism in Australia. He doesn't do that for shits and giggles. It's a response to a real problem.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 8:00pm

Also calling a local indigenous Hawaiian a "moke" is like using the N word or B etc, or something akin , very derogatory and not a term you could ever use to their face.
Vland has lightened up a lot from those days when the crack central apartments were front row which got torn down for a millionaire gated community early 2000,s.
Would be an interesting story Stu? Did you dare ride behind someone ha ha
I have a good Vland tale too,opposite end of the spectrum to Stu,s experience though, good mate at the time was also friends with Perry Dane (a one time heavy local and Vland enforcer ). Perry took us both in the back of his black monster truck into Vland and parked under the banyan tree in Squiddys front yard, got to surf perfect Vland totally unmolested and got to see Perry seem to be making the tube stand still with his brute strength tube stalls, I mostly played the quiet Haole anyhow and stuck to mostly going left (which is quite underrated in comparison to the right but a good wave anyhow), did sneak a few rights though, watched the local boys tearing it up , met some of da boys and got a few howisit brahs rather than what you would/ could expect to have got in those days for showing up at Vland when it was pumping (or just showing up) , went back to Perrys for a few hot and cold ones and watched the newly released "Titanic " of all things (which I always thought was a funny sideline to the heavy Hawaiian stereotype), classic day, had a few more experiences with the Dane family till things went sideways with them and also when old mate got put in a very heavy situation while providing a "favour" for Perry later on down the line , which is another story all together. Could be a good start for a new forum , "Heavy Northshore tales"

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 8:12pm

Hey stu Velzyland is friendlier than Sandon Point these days
its a pleasure to surf there. Unfortunately not to many real Hawaiians
left in the surf anymore. Dominate race are Brazilians. Now I
remember when my local point break was like old Velzy, they were
the days you would of got clipped out there as well if you looked wrong.
Wish it was still like that today to bring things back in order.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 8:14pm

Haha, went back to watch Titanic...

I can picture it now - Mike throws his arm around those broad muscular shoulders and in a moment of abandon cries out "I'm the king of the world Perry!"

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 8:33pm

Vic, I didn't disprove anything, I asked if I had to disprove it? Did you read what I wrote?

Your first link even states there's no clear definition of what constitutes a hate crime and secondly it even says there is a dearth of empirical information for Australia's hate crime 'problem'.

I go on to read that hate crimes are under-reported, maybe so. So we're just to assume it's the tip of the iceberg and our streets are a no-go war zone for anyone other than a pale skinned round eye? Even the reported numbers, 150 or so hardly constitutes a wave of hate crimes. Mostly name calling with physical threats or acts extremely rare.

Same with the anti-semitism, islamaphobia and indigenous numbers in your other pieces- about 400 'incidents' a year, coupla Jewish kids got roughed up by some muslim kids at school and that constitutes a dramatic rise in hate crimes over the last coupla decades?

I totally agree- every single one of these 'incidents' is one too many, but even by your random links, I hardly see in a country of 25 mil or so peeps give or take, a wave of hate speech sweeping the nation.

I think you should give Aussies more credit, You're jumping at shadows.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 10 May 2020 at 8:39pm

Sounds very similar to a conversation I had with VL recently.

He's absolutely desperate to make this as big as possible, even with scant evidence.

Big axe to grind and plenty of windmills to tilt at.