Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 5:28pm

The interview he gave in Stab had a fair amount of information about what was going on with the design regarding rails, concaves, fin placement etc.

While other shapers are on the shorter wider band wagon he’s gone back to narrower again, definitely an original thinker and seems to start with a theory and goes about developing it rather than happy accidents and copying others

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 5:43pm

Stu....just a remark on the size ....5’7 * 17 3/4 * 2 1/4

That’s way smaller than Slater’s 90’s boards. I appreciate that it’s epoxy but even still. It’s freaking tiny.

Plus I just love to use that line. From the old movie “ Ford Fairlane : Rock ‘n Roll detective. A vehicle for comedian Andrew Dice Clay. There was an all girl pop group and they got flashed by “ Sleazebag Sam “. Ford Fairlane asked the girls if they could identify Sleazebag’s junk and they said it “ looked like a penis....only smaller.”

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 6:17pm

It is small, and it is narrow, but you can't assume the volume is comensurate with those dimensions.

When I mentioned how how unique it was, I should've added how the double concave deck and bottom create volume in parts of the board where you don't expect it. For instance, the rails aren't the thinnest part of the board, they're relatively bulbous. Hold the board by the rail and it feels like your thumb and forefinger are very close to each other.

In crude terms there are three thick parts of the board: each rail, and the centre line, and two thin parts: between the stringer and the rails.

Add to this a broader nose meeting in a rounded arc, and what felt like vee through the underside, with the entire effect being that assesing the volume using usual merits doesn't apply. It's too much of a departure from normal boards to assume the old formulas work.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 6:19pm

Does sound interesting. Is it yours to ride ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 6:22pm

Oh oh .....some people are going to be displeased.

Nigel Farage has just come out as a racist . Well , he’s perpetuating the belief that national borders mean something and are legally enforceable....code words as racist for some.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 6:22pm

Nah, just to fondle.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 6:25pm

Thanks Viclocal - I think this is the most accurate and truthful post I've seen on here:

"These billionaires don't want a form of globalisation based on rules. They just want to plunder the world's resources to enrich themselves. Whipping up racist and anti-foreigner anger is just a distraction so people don't wise up to the fact they are getting screwed by the Cayman Island set.
That guy on the temporary visa isn't the enemy. It's the billionaires who deliberately sow the seeds of hatred to hide the fact they don't pay tax, and own governments, who are the problem."

This xenophobic (I wouldn't go so far as to call most of it racism) dog whistle that has been so effectively deployed is intended to distract people. It's easy to identify that we (the average Australian) is being screwed over, it's not so easy to identify why and by who. Pointing the finger at someone gives people someone to blame, all the more effective if they are different. Different in any way, speak a different language, different coloured skin, different religion.

We see this in play here, people have quite correctly identified that we are getting screwed, but are completely focused on this largely made up boogey-man whilst all but ignoring the big ticket items such as unnecessary tax cuts, fiscal policy settings that turn houses into an investment toy and IR reforms designed to gut workers rights. As intended, these fly largely under the radar, whilst they froth vigorously at the mouth about 'them'.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:16pm

Come on , JQ . You’re not really falling for that “ folks be dumb “ routine are you ?

Here’s the thing : every bit of the billionaires / corps raping the world are true. But it’s by the transferral of profits of production from the hands of the workers into the Capitalists which is the main game.

This is done two ways :
1/ Offshore as much production as possible to low wage nations .

2/ Reduce wage component as much as possible in any production remaining in developed nations. This is done by the twin pillars of flooding the labour market with cheap , compliant labour and destroying unions.

So when the average Aussie sees a foreign worker filling a role which should be employing an Australian it is the foreign person who is the problem. Not the individual per se as they are only a weapon being used against Australian workers.

This is what Vic Local refuses to understand. No one is down on the individual foreign workers, but they are against the unnecessary and deleterious presence of the foreign worker for what they represent.

Example: I used to work building LNG plants . Had done so for a good few years on different jobs. It was basically the same crew moving from project to project. Everyone was experienced and knew their roles.

Just as one project was coming to a close another was starting. This was not an accident. Projects were staggered so a complete workforce could be utilised from job to job.

There was stories of labour shortages getting about around Australia and so everyone knew that they would be immediately taken onto the next project. The entire work crew applied and waited.....nothing.

Turns out that it was cheaper to hire a workforce numbering 150 people from a country half way around the world. Not just cheaper but more compliant. The carrot of permanent residency was dangled and the foreign workers knew to shut their mouths when safety or work conditions were compromised if they didn’t want to be heading home .

The foreign labour force was also a section of a labour hire company started by one of the project’s foreign executives.

This happened so often that soon the face of FIFO work was more International than it was Australian. Meanwhile Australia’s house prices and living expenses were going through the roof . Many , many thousands of Australians tried to get onto the mining boom with all the “ labour shortages “ only to never see a site whilst thousands of foreign workers got jobs.

So , JQ, you can parrot the line that Vic Local and his fellow travelers love that foreign workers don’t take Australian jobs , that the very idea is a furphy created by racists and xenophobes

Or

You can realise that YES foreign workers do take Australian jobs.

The foreign workers are not evil. No one thinks less of them because of their race . But these foreign workers were weaponised against Australians in their own country by the Billionaires and corporations. Now it’s most businesses use the foreign workers to undermine Australian wages and working conditions and ultimately living standards.

Australians don’t hate the players , we hate the game. It’s Vic Local who makes it personal.

If I say I want foreign workers out of Australia, it’s not an attack on the individuals, it’s a rejection of the system which allows Australian workers to be undermined in their own country.

I can’t stand to see Australian surf guides / teachers in Bali for the same reason....it’s putting a Balinese out of a job. No one is calling me racist or xenophobic for that opinion even though it’s exactly the same circumstance.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:02pm

@ID,

For the sake of harmony over there, I removed my initial post then yours, but basically what you said in your last post was bang on the money.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:19pm

No worries.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:37pm

Monkey in Indonesia rides a miniature bike then tries to kidnap a baby haha

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/offbeat/indonesian-footage-captures-mon...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:40pm

Monkeys on a long lead eh ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 7:42pm

Where's the Matt George story gone?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 8:17pm

Bang on Blowin, Leighton hada recruitment office in Dublin for jobs in WA yet it was only through nepotism that a West Aussie could get a job.. Regional government contracts where not immune either. John Holland flying in mates of employees from Ireland when a local could of done the job and in that particular case better.
Irish where generally hard workers and compliant because not many of them did much else but work and drink/take drugs.
Try working with a large group of Irish and or Maori in the Pilbara then let’s have a talk about discrimination in your own country. Some labour hire places advertised for Irish only crews in the Pilbara ffs.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 8:31pm

Good post Blowin, I was up there too doing bits & pieces for big infrastructure builds, depending on the contract. I've got a good story for you, maybe over a beer one day... situation nearly drove me nuts!

Meanwhile, I think Facto has been asking for lots of 2GB, so here is some for him:

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/05/lvo-talks-immigration-on-radio-...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 9:35pm

If Irish staff are being hired, the big question is, what's wrong with the local labour? Setting up recruitment offices overseas is expensive. It's not like companies do it for a hobby.
I worked on a building site with a bloke who banged on endlessly about foreigners taking Aussie jobs. The fucker was awful to work with. He averaged three days a week, was usually hungover as fuck, and stole stuff that wasn't nailed down.
On big unionised industrial sites, workers from Ireland would be on the same pay scale as the Australian workers. Speak to the union if you think there is genuine discrimination, but this could simply be a case of no local staff capable of filling the positions.
And if "Some labour hire places advertised for Irish only crews in the Pilbara" that is illegal. Speak to the union to sort it out. Whinging on Swellnet doesn't solve that problem.
By the way CIMIC (new Leighton) hires shit loads of Australians for their overseas projects. If Australia bans international labour on our sites, the blowback might not be that good for the country.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 5 May 2020 at 10:02pm

Pump the brakes big fella, I was just re-iterating what I have seen go on. I wasn’t whinging just telling the truth.
You interpret it how you like.

Irish people also formed labour hire agencies and hired Irish trades in preference to locals. I saw the advertisement with my own eyes. Like I said just telling the truth.

Fuck some of you blokes are just ready to fucking pounce aren’t you.

PS. The old “if the Irish guys where getting hired what was wrong with the local labour” is just such a dismissive ignoramous thing to say and a dullard way to round out your argument which absolves you of really understanding the situation.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 7:34am

Now we are getting closer to the truth.

When presented with evidence that foreigners were directly taking local jobs , which contradicts the entire gaslighting program that they did not , now that argument gets forgotten and instead victim blames Australian workers.

According to Vic Local , local workers are either incompetent, lazy , drunk or thieves. All of the above if the allegations are to be believed.

After all, the alternative is to admit that foreign workers do take Australian jobs , that it’s a problem and that we should be able to discuss it without puerile accusations of racism .

Instead , Australian workers get described as whiners who should harden up and do something about it.

Then lastly we get told that Australian workers can get fucked because if they prioritised for jobs in their own country then there might be “ blowback “ from the country sending the replacement workers . Vic Local knows this is such bullshit that he doesn’t bother with fake evidence.. There’s not even an attempt to portray this as anything but a desperate lie. Ireland is going to “blowback “ at Australia if Irish workers aren’t flown 12000 kms around the world to take the job off a local ?

Note the complete lack of empathy or concern for those who lost jobs ? They are so much refuse strewn across the neoliberal highway. The fact that they have families to support is of no bearing. No where to be seen is the handwringing so prevalent when a foreigner suffers an injustice, now it’s just a case of “ Get over it you drunk , lazy , useless whinging thieves .”.

This is the face of the globalists. They will lie and claim there is no problem, you’re just imagining it cause you’re racist. When this fails they attack Australians because.....they don’t like Australians.

This is the bottom line. They don’t accept the legitimacy of Australia. All the rest is justification for their ideology. An ideology which they think stupid Aussies should just shut up and accept while it’s imposed on them undemocratically.

Imagine for a second that I’d claimed that Chinese workers were lazy , useless , thieving drunks . Do you think Vic Local would have claimed it was hard evidence that I was a neo Nazi ? Yes , of course.

That’s the thing. The globalists are not better , nicer , more humane people, they just have an agenda which is best progressed by delegitimising the opinions of those who dissent by attacking their character. It’s just Ad Hominem from go to whoa.

Everyone knows that foreign workers are taking Australian jobs. This is blindingly obvious. And it’s not a situation that we should endure just because of a false narrative of racism and xenophobia. That argument has no basis in reality and should be dismissed with the contempt it deserves.

Really Vic Local, if that last post is your genuine opinion then you’ve got zero credibility. When the truth is put forth contradicting your oft stated opinions, you can do nothing more than throw mud at a wall hoping that some of it sticks.

If you were half the person you think you are , you’d take pause to consider the truth of the matter and realise that the public around you is not benefiting when you perpetuate the gaslighting narrative those billionaires/ corporations have disseminated through the media in order to disempower the working class.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 7:56am

Fuck me. Blowin just won the world straw man championship by a country mile. Do my opinion on marine parks next!!!!
If you think I’m going to waste my time defending arguments you made up for me, you’re going to be one disappointed muppet.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:24am

Your opinion is right there in your own words.

“If Irish staff are being hired, the big question is, what's wrong with the local labour? “ = Australians are useless. If they were good at their jobs they wouldn’t be replaced.

“I worked on a building site with a bloke who banged on endlessly about foreigners taking Aussie jobs. The fucker was awful to work with. He averaged three days a week, was usually hungover as fuck, and stole stuff that wasn't nailed down.” = This is Vic Local’s experience and its put here as context that Australians are lazy , drunk , useless thieves. Why else is it in the post ? The point is to extrapolate this to mean that Australians deserve their jobs stolen. It’s Vic Local answering his first question “ What is wrong with Australian labour .”

“......but this could simply be a case of no local staff capable of filling the positions.“ = The very point made by all was that there was an excess of adequately skilled Australians who were ignored so that foreign workers could be given jobs. Perfect example of someone wilfully overlooking what is in front of them because it contradicts their opinion. Rather than accepting this it is back to lies and obfuscation.

“And if "Some labour hire places advertised for Irish only crews in the Pilbara" that is illegal. Speak to the union to sort it out. Whinging on Swellnet doesn't solve that problem.“ = More victim shaming. Workers are powerless when their union representatives are in on the scam. As is the media and the politicians. Any attempt to voice concerns is shouted down by the useful idiots such as Vic Local who start bleating about racism.

“ If Australia bans international labour on our sites, the blowback might not be that good for the country.“= Straight to the strawman. No one is talking about banning international labour. Just ban international labour when their is an Australian who can perform the role. Forget the blowback to the country.....the country is made up of the workers who are unemployed because a foreign worker took their job under the pretext of a non existent skills shortage. Vic Local appeals to concern for the economy, but the economy is just another term for employment....employment that Australians don’t have.

Vic Local shows zero empathy or concern for Australian workers. Just another globalist who wants you to believe that they’re driven by love of humanity but when presented with evidence that their ideology is ruinous to Australians then they do not give a fuck. As far as they are concerned, Australians can eat a dick and do so with a smile on their face .

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:10am

"Your opinion is right there in your own words.

“If Irish staff are being hired, the big question is, what's wrong with the local labour? “ = Australians are useless. If they were good at their jobs they wouldn’t be replaced."

Ohh FFS blowin. You answered my question, with your opinion and then said it was my opinion. I don't think anyone could find a more pure example of strawmannirg. Go back to making up stats about Chinese immigrants to support your racist agenda.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:26am

Exactly what is it you were suggesting was wrong with the local labour then ?

Pretty obvious who’s got the agenda here. You refuse to acknowledge the fact that foreign workers replace Australians in Australian jobs and this throws Aussies under the bus of globalisation .

Globalists like Vic Local are the enemy of Australian workers. Not only do they want you unemployed, that want you to believe that you deserve it and that if you complain it’s because you are racist.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:28am

"Globalists like Vic Local are the enemy of Australian workers. Not only do they want you unemployed, that want you to believe that you deserve it and that if you complain it’s because you are racist."
Really blowin? Where again did I say that? Tell everyone my opinion on toll roads next.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:38am

You still haven’t answered what you are suggesting is wrong with the local labour ?

Or why your position remains that Australians were being replaced for a justified reason at all. You immediately chose to believe that the Australians deserved replacing.

It’s cause you don’t recognise the entitlement of Australians to be prioritised for work in their own country. I don’t think you even understand how controversial this belief is . I think that you’ve swallowed so much globalist Kool Aid that you dont realise that it’s your opinion which has no mandate from Australian society.

Do you think it’s racist for Australians to be prioritised for any available work within Australia ? I think you do believe this.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:42am

"It’s cause you don’t recognise the entitlement of Australians to be prioritised for work in their own country. "
"Do you think it’s racist for Australians to be prioritised for any available work within Australia ? I think you do believe this."
Tell everyone my opinion on SE Asian democracies next blowin. Are you getting bored making up my opinions so you can shoot them down yet?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 8:48am

“If Irish staff are being hired the big question is, what's wrong with the local labour? .......I worked on a building site with a bloke who banged on endlessly about foreigners taking Aussie jobs. The fucker was awful to work with. He averaged three days a week, was usually hungover as fuck, and stole stuff that wasn't nailed down.“

Careful Vic Local....your bias is showing.

Still haven’t mentioned the relevance of the second passage there.

So tell me , Vic Local , if I’m so far off the mark , do you have a problem with this statement ? :

If a worker on a temporary visa is found to be occupying a role which could be filled with an Australian , then the temporary worker should have their visa canceled.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 9:05am

"If a worker on a temporary visa is found to be occupying a role which could be filled with an Australian , then the temporary worker should have their visa canceled."

It doesn't work that way and never has.

Let's take the case of foreign fruit pickers. There's not one fruit picker job that an Australian can't do, but farmers haven't been able to rely on an Aussie only work force for decades. Not enough Australians want to do fruit picking. That's a reality.
But you'd want all foreign fruit pickers' visas revoked. This would A. Ensure more crops never got picked, B Drive farmers and regional towns broke, C. Create an underground workforce ripe for exploitation. D drive up food prices. E. Put poor people in further financial stress. F. encourage more unhealthy diets putting further stress on the health system. etc etc etc.
There are consequences with your visa plan!!! But if that RW virtual signalling makes you feel better blowin, keep going.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 9:41am

"If a worker on a temporary visa is found to be occupying a role which could be filled with an Australian , then the temporary worker should have their visa canceled."

“It doesn't work that way and never has. “. Huh ? We have just had an entire discussion on exactly how it happens and now you’re claiming that I’d doesn’t happen and never has . WTF ? You are straight back to denying that foreign workers take Australian jobs as though our previous discussion never took place.

Why wouldn’t you take the case of the FIFO workers we were just discussing ?

Or any of the other 2.25 million other visa workers who aren’t fruit pickers ?

But anyway....around here many locals lost their seasonal income picking fruit after being replaced by foreign workers . So I think that the temp workers - unless they are part of our Pacific Islands work program- should indeed be sent home. Starting with the Koreans around here who have poached local’s employment.

BTW....are you really that bloody minded that you’d completely disregard my obvious dedication to workers rights ( true left wing ) in order to shoehorn me into your RWNJ pigeon hole ?

The fact is that you have the right wing position. You believe that workers are mere interchangeable economic units and that there is no such thing as a society. It’s the classic neoliberal ruse. Destroy the working class by framing it as a Kumbaya global humanity movement. Then the fake left mongs such as yourself can combine your twin passions of hollow virtue signalling and despising the working class.

Those billionaires you dislike ? You’re doing their dirty work. It’s called being a useful idiot.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 10:11am

"You believe that workers are mere interchangeable economic units and that there is no such thing as a society."
wow, thanks again for telling me, and everyone else, what I believe.
Can you let the other readers know my opinions on the UK miners strikes in the 80s. Just make 'em up like you always do.
PS Why does it not surprise me that you single out the Koreans for the first round of deportations? Probably because, true to your form, it's more than a little bit racist.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 11:23am

Anyone noticed how the term “ racist “ has evolved to have no correlation whatsoever with its old premise ?

Like the word “ gay “ morphed from a reference to homosexuality into a general term meaning bad or weak . Things were referred to as gay when there was absolutely no association with its original meaning.

So it is with “ racism “. Racism no longer has any true correlation with hatred or different races. It’s a catch all phrase used to describe something which the speaker doesn’t like.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 11:39am

Blowin, You want to round up Koreans for deportation, you make up ridiculous stats to badmouth Chinese people, you blame immigrants and Chinese people for pretty much everything, you support Pauline Hanson, you hold Chinese people to impossible standards, and you support people brandishing whips threatening people at the Chinese embassy. And I've heard there's plenty of your anti-Muslim stuff on this site as well.
Mate, just own the term "racist". Very few people here are buying your Pauline Hansonesque "I'm not a racist" schtick.

LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 12:23pm

someone told me there was some loose stuff on this site. and all I see is this political shit. it aint interesting stuff.
now check this freak.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8282037/Dean-Laidley-dressed-wo...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 12:44pm

Freak?
For all you know, your dad or son likes doing it too.
It's not unusual mate, get over it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 12:51pm

Gimme political shit over prejudice any day.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:02pm

Glad you said it. Got in before me.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:09pm

Yep, think you "mis-read the room" there Localist. Transphobia probably not gonna fly with the BTL boys here, and rightly so.
Andy M, your comment reminded me of an interview I read with Brodie Jenner describing how he found out his dad was transitioning. Said he and his brother were up at 4am for the swell of the year at Malibu. Parked in the colony and were walking past his old mans house and saw all the lights on. So they went up to say g'day and through the windows saw Caitlin dressed up to the nines dancing around the lounge room. He said they didn't surf that swell, had a lot to "digest".

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:34pm

Yeah it'd be a bit of a shock for some but I just don't see it as a particularly big deal.
Stuff's been going on for thousands of years, if not longer.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:36pm

"all I see is this political shit. it aint interesting stuff."

As an aside, how fucking tragic that a guy in drag is a big deal and that the politics that govern every aspect of our lives is seen as uninteresting.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 1:59pm

OMFG who cares...... This is a good example of why the world needs a pandemic - people interested in a retired footballer in drag over the destruction of koala habitat.

1987 -

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:09pm

I’d rather appear on the front page of the paper wearing drag in a prison cell than on Instagram riding a log at Wategoes in a beavertail wetsuit vest.

LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST's picture
LOCALIST Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:14pm

don't get your panties in a twist boys. lucky he's not chinese. could pass it off as political then.
this aint freaky ay?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8286387/Dean-Laidleys-drug-use-...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:23pm

Seems Localist has Deanitis... Hope there's a cure soon

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:26pm

Reckon we've got another facto personality here?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:28pm

Dean-itis or Deny-itis?

Just accept it mate, your real friends will still love you.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:28pm

I was very active in punk and anarchist circles in the 90's, from my late teens to mid twenties, very leftist some would say.

The loose groupings of people and organisations I hung with viewed the world in black and white, contrasts only, no room for nuance or context.

Those that screamed out their anti fascist ideology the loudest, tended towards fascism themselves.

Now I see things differently. For instance, I have aboriginal family in the Kimberley and up there some of the old people have photos of the queen on their walls and love Australia day. They don't want to change the date.

Recently, as shown in this article, some aboriginal people like Pauline Hanson as she actually listened to them. Not everything is as simple as 'she/he is racist, don't listen to anything they say'.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/joe-hildebrand-the-extraord...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:36pm

It wasn't unusual to see guys wearing dresses in the punk scene. Most people didn't care. It's only clothing.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 2:54pm

Peter Wherret was slipping into something more comfortable when i was a Grom

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 3:04pm

Any idea what happened to the Matt George Bali opinion piece? Ghosted off the site.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 3:06pm

stu said the balinese didn't want to make a big deal of it, asked for it to be pulled. George asked Stu, Stu obliged.
can;'t see the biggie there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 May 2020 at 3:34pm

Patrick .....10 people dead in Wilcannia in a couple of months out of 550 locals . That’s hectic.

I’d say that from my superficial visitations that Wilcannia would have to be the most dispiriting place I’ve ever been. This is only judging from the look of the joint and the fact that I’ve felt some bad vibes there including the ugliest human confrontation I’ve ever witnessed .....and I’ve seen some ugly things.

Did enjoy a few beers with some locals in that tiny little pub there though. That is the only reason I am using language a lot less colourful to describe the joint.