The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 1:24pm

Looks fantastic Craig! Hope you had your thermal underwear!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 2:19pm

Sweet Craig. Love the fact you're earning those turns as they say and also not forking out the daylight robbery that is a daily lift ticket in Australia.

Have you still got the Hello Kitty thermals?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 2:45pm

Yes I do Zen, haha but don't use them.

Here's a few shots from the weekend, the sunset colours and scenes Saturday night were other worldly. Like walking on the moon!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm

Spectacular!

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 3:26pm

Defies logic that you can sleep on the snow in a tent and still be warm.
What's the process and gear needed in getting a good nights sleep?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 3:45pm

Yeah it blows me away still UL to know you can be comfortable in such extreme conditions where otherwise you wouldn't last half an hour.

Not too much to stay warm it's all about insulation from the snow surface.

If you had an alpine sleeping bag (mine is rated comfort to -9) on pure snow you'd freeze, but you add in a $10 yoga mat and blow up insulated mat and you're fairly comfy. Just wear thermals and maybe a puffy if getting cold.

So just a 3-4 seasons tent for protection from the wind (not cold) then the rubber mat, insulated blow up mat and sleeping bag...

Rubber mat like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roll-Up-Eva-Foam-Yoga-Mat-Camping-Hiking-Fishing-Sleeping-Tent-Mattress-180x50cm-/302634616433

Insulated mat: https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/klymit-insulated-static-v-orange-charcoal-black-si?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjuzxxM3M4gIVDCQrCh3f1AAVEAQYASABEgKUjPD_BwE

Alpine sleeping bag: https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/sea-to-summit-alpine-ii-sleeping-bag-long-left-zip?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_f200s3M4gIVVA4rCh10eQnsEAQYASABEgLYXPD_BwE

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 3:54pm

One of these might come in handy too to stay warm.

Just sayin'.

https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/2978116/351308960/...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:01pm

If only, that's the goal ;)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:10pm

Watsons crags?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:13pm

In the background of the last photo yes, we rode Tennison bowl and went to Carruthers late but it was a little low tide and the icey climb out looked sketch with the fading light. Needed boot crampons which I left back at the car.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:15pm

Craig, about to buy a sleeping mat for below the snow line 3-4 season hiking and have been looking at Thermarest from Paddy Pallin or Bogong Equipment in Melbourne. I know nothing about the one you have linked, what's your experience with them? highly recommended?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:18pm

Yeah the Klimat ones are cheaper and I've had no issues at all with mine. Looks like the Klimat has a higher R-value and actually packs down a little smaller length(height) wise. Only being 50g heavier as well. I recommend the Klimat.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm

Thanks

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm

Reading this durability might be a bit of an issue.. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/sleeping-pad/klymit-insulated-static-v-lite

I've only used in snow but for 3 years and had no punctures etc..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 6:16pm

Incredible pictures Craig!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 6:34pm

Another epic adventure

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 8:22pm

Craig thanks for sharing those photos......maybe swellnet needs to bring out a coffee table book...?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 4 Jun 2019 at 6:55pm

Thanks guys, stoked to share them! Yeah totally Simba.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:19am

Interesting how the layers work in keeping the frozen ground away from a warmish sleep, cheers

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 8:30am

Yeah it's all about insulation from the cold.

Tyson Millar took these amazing shots from the weekend, first out camp and the second me skinning up on sunset Friday evening..

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 8:46am

Great shots.

The snow camping looks pretty rugged. You keep a bottle handy or duck outside when nature calls?

mcbain's picture
mcbain's picture
mcbain Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 8:47am

Little Austria there in the background? That skinning pic brings back memories - en route to Carruthers? Magic pics. Looking forward to a great BC season.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 8:49am

No, fark, I had to piss 2x on Friday night as I got really low on water and sugar and skulled half a litre before bed. Had to get up twice in the night, bare feet on snow in the freezing cold!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 8:50am

McBain, Carruthers in the background (my fav runs!). We camped near the Tennison saddle, lens compression throws off the terrain a bit.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 9:42am

Cool (literally).

Maybe you could pack a pair of Crocs, super light and may help if you have to duck outside.

Final questions- you come across any other groups up there and what's your contingency if a blizzard comes through?

btw, looks like an amazing experience, you really must know you're alive when surrounded by all that.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:12pm

why are the politico forums not appearing on front page? The surfing community has ALWAYS prided itself in being at the forefront of social and political issues.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:22pm

SD, I posted an explanation a week ago on this page: https://www.swellnet.com/forums/politico/459916?page=5

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:35pm

I thought it was because you're not allowed to say manko?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:40pm

Thanks Ben... Appreciated.. I'm very busy work wise, and not on as much as I used to be. Plus u have pay walled your forecast notes, where I used to put my 2 bobs worth in from 40 years of ocean watching in Qld. So I dont check the page that much.
Its your choice, your baby. Your income. I get that. I disagree with your stance. As I said, the surfing community (Australian surfing community in particular), has ALWAYS been a hotbed for political expression. And for the years I have been here, your own editors have been at the forefront of promoting political debate, which imo is a great thing.
Were u one of the "silent tories"? Is this your way of stifling debate? Putting it on "page 32"? ;) :p
You see that the ABC is being raided as we speak, as was NewL reporter Annika Smethhurst.
Anyhow, good luck with your decisions, Ben. Thanks again . Bye

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 12:44pm

All the best SD.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 1:43pm

Zen, funny you say that, one of the other guys we were with had Crocs!

And me and my mates forecast the weather, so the likelihood of being caught in a blizzard should be low. We're very familiar with the terrain and locations even with them being so expansive and also use Gaia GPS tracking which would help getting out in a white-out. We've got a sat phone for emergencies as well.

Other groups, there are a core crew who hit it like us and I think there were 5 other people out there getting the terrain we were. We were the only guys camping though, four highest people in all of Australia :D

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 2:43pm

Sheepy.

Just go on the threads you want anyway. They’re still there. Dribble still occurs.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019 at 3:39pm

At first i didn't like the idea of political threads not showing up on front page, but now I'm looking at it as a positive.

I tend to post on what every threads hit the front page and finding myself not commenting on the political stuff as much anymore, which is good in a way as, it's same shit different day and much of gets negative.

Had to laugh though on the post "thermalben" made on the subject in there, thinking the political topics would calm down after the election, that was pretty hopeful thinking especially after Scomo was re-elected.

Laurie McGinness Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 9:32am

“This is what they have under construction right now in India for solar; 225 gigawatts. They are not going to continue with coal. You want to sell coal to India? Good luck with that … May I just say, this is nuts. But I doubt [Adani] is ever going to happen anyway.” Al Gore

If he is right that is good news.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:05am

Al Gore hasn't been right about many of his predictions yet.

Even if India doesn't build any new coal fired power plants they still have many recently built and many that wont close down for decades, Adani and others want our coal because there is a demand, they're a business they're not stupid.

BTW. You might find that proposal is possibly an Adani project, they are the biggest private Indian power suppler and already have one of the largest solar farms in India (i think one of the largest in the world) plus one of the largest in Australia with more planned.

Laurie McGinness Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 11:28am

So Indo, your good news was .........

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 3:12pm

Hey Stu and Ben, you know what'd be good news?
If we had some sort of political chat back on the front page of this website.

Why are we not talking about how the LNP have turned a distinctly fascist corner with their targeted raids on media?

Why are we not talking about how an outlet such as the New York Times has an article called "Australia May Well Be the World’s Most Secretive Democracy"?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 3:50pm

Andy......Stu and Ben are part of the grand conspiracy to crush free speech.....hang on there is a knock at the front door :-)

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 4:07pm

I'm outraged, outraged I tell you! Ben and Stu are clearly puppets of neoliberalism and the MSM.

Seriously though, surely what I'm talking about is Quite A Big Deal?

Laurie McGinness Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 4:12pm

..... and the good news is that the political forums are still there.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 4:19pm

Did you have a whinge about it, BB ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 4:22pm

Yeah sorta, but it's question of where they are and how they're accessed.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 5:16pm

Got it, Andy. We're gonna try and reach some sort of compromise. Stay tuned...

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 5:54pm

glad to hear that stu - the political threads are a boring pain in the arse that i usually ignore and occasionally dip into, but in the current climate (and even not in the current climate) the idea of 'kind-of disappearing' them is interesting. i understand the rationale, but still ...

the 'good news' bit of this post:

the betoota advocate has been doing an excellent run of stories on the recent afp raids over the past few days. hard to pick a highlight but the following are up there

AFP Headquarters Erupts Into Laughter After Someone Suggests Raiding A Current Affair

Sky News Announces Dedicated Newspeak Channel Exclusively For Doubleplusgood Australians

Prospective Whistleblower Picks Up A Will Kit Before Sending Leaked Documents

Prime Minister Assures Journalists If They Have A Go, They’ll Get A Go, In Prison Lol

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 7:37pm

On the home page, why couldn't you re -format the 'In the Forums' notifications like the 'Latest Comments' section? i.e you only see who comments, not the first three lines of their comment.

And I guess if you want to maintain diversity you could limit the Politico threads to a few of the five available slots you have now?

Oh and I guess in order to eliminate the scroll fest comments would need to be linked from home page.....actually it would be great if the Latest Comments section had this functionality...but I'm pretty sure you know this already.

Anyway the good news is you're obviously working on it, and I understand the reasoning behind the decision to 'hide' them.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm

Anyone wondering about Adani ought to watch this 4 corners story from 2017

https://m.

Totally corrupt

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 7 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm

I saw that GS. Totally corrupt indeed.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 10:14am

Ash Barty.
What a champion!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 3:07pm

X 2 lostdoggy. Fantastic win and she appears to be very grounded and humble. Hopefully those other two fruitloops were watching and learn something.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm