goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 3:11pm

Missed that one wotl, I’ll check it out

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 5:28pm

Good luck, Goofy!
Lots of hard work, but rich rewards. I built on a section up 100 steps, and everything had to carried up. I had callouses on my shoulder from carrying timber, and every evening I'd come home and eat dinner, then collapse. Never slept better.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm

Ugh, that sounds tiring...
Bet the result was worth it though

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 7:23pm

Jeez, that Grand Designs home in Cornwall is a statement. "Sings to the voice of its makers," said Kev and he couldn't be more right.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 9:51pm

Groundswell that place was absolutely stunning, the wood work is incredible.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 10:22pm

Byron house, $2 mill loss, that’s a serious game of my wallet is bigger than yours

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:06pm

Latest news on Maxy Walker, and it's good! Old dogs may not be able to learn new tricks but they can unlearn bad habits. He doesn't try to choke himself when walking, knows where he can and can't go in the house (he also knows when to push the limits and get away with it), and he doesn't murder every cushion he sees. He's settled in much quicker than I expected; you'd think he'd been here three years not three weeks.

Fucken dogs, eh? Unreal.

Here he is sleeping with one of my sons just outside the study door. Photo taken five minutes ago.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm

What a little character, awesome Stu

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm

You gunna buy your boy a bed though?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:15pm

Dogs are bullshit how much they like people. It’s not even about the food. They’re just legends. You’re kids are lucky and so are you.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:25pm

Ha...he's got a bed, but whenever he can sleep near someone he takes the opportunity. Amazing how he responds to company and affection. He's slipped right into the pack.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:35pm

Lovely pic Stu and good news how he has fitted in so well. Wouldn't be dropping any hair I'm guessing which is also great news.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 5:43pm

Think GF was talking about buying a bed for your son, not the dog, Stu.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm

Thanks ld, glad some one got it!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm

Ha, whoops! Reading everything as being about the dog while neglecting my own flesh and blood.

Boys beds are upstairs and it's a furnace up there today.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm

45 in Adelaide tomorrow yeah? Fuck that!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 6:11pm

48-something in Ceduna today and an all time record.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm

It can be harsh working out there, or moreso in the ranges at the top of the Eyre peninsula, in those temps. The land itself though has its own allure. I always considered that west coast as if you took the WA wheat country I spent a lot of time in, and plonked it by the ocean. The ocean itself, well some of you here know it well. It's alive...

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 10:54pm

Last day of a week in Roxby today. Holy shit.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 8:47am

Jeez Chin, has to be underground?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 8:58am

Last week of the school holidays, the whole nation is celebrating that one except for school teachers of course.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 11:32am

Don’t think it’s just a couple of easy stretches , yoga is fucking hard work if you’re not used to it,

Good news ....the teacher said I was pretty flexible already :

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 11:43am

My wife is a long term Iyengar practitioner, student, and teacher. You know how we surfers laugh at adult learners who "want to surf for a season" or something equally ridiculous? Well she thinks people who "want to do yoga for six months" are equally worthy of ridicule, and she's merciless about it too. It's all in with BKS or there's the fucken door.

Not great for business but I do love her commitment.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 11:45am

In the long run that attitude is best for business as well.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm

I’ve had a couple of stuttering attempts at learning yoga previously, but just when I start getting into it I’ve relocated and it’s always faded away.

Hopefully not this time. Cause I’m starting to walk like the tin man out of wizard of Oz.

Do you get into yoga , Stu ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm

I'm more the adult learner unfortunately.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 2:08pm

I wore my mat around my neck like a cape on the way there and sweated so much that the instructor must have suspected I had a kilo of heroin ballooned in my date.

So yeah , I’m feeling that adult learner vibe too.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 3:41pm

I have irregularly practiced hatha yoga with the same teacher for about 10 years now. I also regularly practice a home based yoga/pilates program Ryan Huxley once sold on-line out of Byron. All those years ago my yoga teacher asked why yoga to which I said improved flexibility smiling. We both laugh about this now because that's what everyone says but along the way students find their breath. The physical practice matched to an easy breath. And that's why yoga is mostly always imperfect but easy.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 3:50pm

As a 15 year, 6 day a week practicitioner of yoga, I'd suggest the hardest thing for most "adult learners" to find is an actual authentic yoga class. The shit they sell to the masses now via insta/FB is just a rebranded, whored out exercise version of a few asana poses. The "all in" approach of your wife Stu, has its merits in that it weeds out the modern, inauthentic, come when you like approach of most of the crap you're served up these days. If it requires a commitment, it usually comes from a authentic lineage.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:15pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 4:22pm

In Bali last year I got to have a session with a Balinese yoga teacher who was incredible. As you said , he stressed the importance of breathing correctly with a lengthy discussion and instruction at the start then constant reinforcement during the session.

He took time to let me adapt to each pose whilst still maintaining flow and not letting me slack off. Great teacher who came to my hotel for 2 hours session one on one - $15.

The chick I saw this morning was very nice but a bit less onus on breathing and feeling each position properly. Maybe she was over beginners despite the pleasantness ?

Either way , still only $15 for one on one session of 1 1/2 hours.

I’ll need to get up more hours than the engine of the Indian Pacific in order to get any good at it . If I learnt anything this morning it’s that I really , really need to do something about my flexibility.

Hopefully she hangs around for a while so I can get the hang of it to the point of carrying on solo. She’s only a 2 minute walk around the corner. Too convenient.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 1:13pm

Nice sunny day yesterday. Bit of swell.

As pretty much usual this time of year.

A few more blow-ins maybe.

Thinking back, at the beach, round town, at the pub (ska band playing), no flags to speak of.

My town is a bit of an oasis, sure, so it's not that surprising. Still, it was noticeable by the absence.

Good barbie later. Lot of legit ledges and grand tales.

And tequila.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 6:26pm

Right, let’s keep this thread at least on a bit more of a positive swing, eh?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 27 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm

The window for this place reopens from tomorrow arvo .... yeah

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 28 Jan 2019 at 12:03pm

hey blown, how's the yoga going?
hey dave, how's your tassie trip going, an update on your adventures would be great.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jan 2019 at 9:38am

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Jan 2019 at 9:48am

Just picked up a lovely double-flyer Maurice Cole Watercooled singley from the ding repairer, been waiting to have it made watertight for a few years.

I reckon it's gonna ride reeeaaally well.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 31 Jan 2019 at 10:02am

Nice, Ben!
How big's that, around 6'5?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Jan 2019 at 11:56am

I'm guessing 1978.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 1 Feb 2019 at 9:15am

Nah, it's not that long BB :)

It's either 6'5 or 6'6, the fin box had to be replaced and the dims were penciled just above there so it's a little hard to see with the extra glass.

Isn't it funny how older boards were only measured in length, no other dims provided? I assume you'd choose a board of your desired length, and then do the 'under the arm' test to see if it was really meant for you (which is still what I do these days anyway, regardless of what's on the stringer). 

Aside from MC, it also has 616 written on the stringer, which I presume was the sequential number he was up to at that point.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 1 Feb 2019 at 10:24am

That was my suggestion for the year it was shaped Ben. I surfed a lot of boards similar to that. It was the golden age of the single fin, with the flyers and a tuned fin they could have a tail that was narrow enough to avoid spinning out but wide enough to plane.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Friday, 1 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm

Ben has it got flutes on the flyers or are they just repairs?
I always liked the look of flutes under the flyers but could never figure out what they actually do.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 8:28pm

Made the most of the flat conditions and got my biggest cray freediving today.
The thing put up a good fight way back on a ledge and I nearly gave up but kept at it and eventually got it in the bag. On the bbq tonight with a couple of beers and life’s good!
Speared some Sweep too but the cray was much more exciting.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm

Oh yeah !

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019 at 4:45am

Grateful for our summer in Welly. So much surf, and lots of A-grade days.

Terima kasih banyak!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019 at 6:48pm
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 5:35am

It finally farking rained last night!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 6:06am

Morg - yeah it's got flutes! Not sure what they do, but they certainly look purdy.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 6:15am

Twice the fun paddling out with a new board under you arm , even if that board is 40 years old . It’d be hell fun taking that thing for a spin , Ben.

Shapers are lucky in that they’re providing fun , thrills and memories that can have functional lives spanning decades worth of different waves , breaks and riders.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 6:28am

I'm really excited about giving it a whirl, but am waiting for the right kind of wave (don't wait to taint my first impression by taking it out in bumpy surf). Kinda reminds me of my old man's Brothers Neilsen down railer that I learnt to surf on. 

Also need to find a fin, or work out how to remove the original (I think?) fin from the box that was removed - someone had glassed it in!