The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm

That’s pretty soft Blowin
All our small Aussie natives being killed each and every day by feral cats, pigs destroying delicate wetlands, goats destroying native fragile vegetation (NW wa you proclaim to love)
Lots of ferals to be removed

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 8:29am

Can’t help it , those animals are just doing what they were born to do .

Couldn’t bring myself to end somethings life because it’s trying to live. Bad karma lies down that path.

The goats of the Norwest - or any free range livestock - aren’t feral . There owners should be held responsible. I’ve got no issue whatsoever with killing every last feral animal to eat , but I could never kill an animal without reason.

Whilst I like the idea of an area free of feral cats , for example, I’d hate myself if it was up to me to pin them .

Sterilise them , relocate them or eat them are my options.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 7:48am

I’m almost with you on that one blowin, I have mates who go pig and fox shooting. Sometimes it seems like killing just for the sake of killing. Which I can’t warm too... yeah I know they’re introduced and the damage they cause..
But I’ll quite happily tag along when they go deer shooting. Because I like eating it if we get one.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 9:07am

Anyone ever eaten cat meat before ?

That’s the meat off a cat , not the meat out of a cat’s bowl.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 9:40am

Umm....you mean knowingly?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 9:53am

I guess cat meat would be better than fox. But that’s not saying much.
I’ve seen footage of indigenous people chasing down cats in central aust ( they can only run 200 metres before giving up) . Do they eat them?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 10:16am

I was a feral-animal killing machine for the first 20 years of my life.
As blowin says... path of bad karma. I’ve got a lot of karmic rebalancing to do.
Still, my hatred of pigs knows no bounds..they destroy everything.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 10:09am

200m
Fuck I’ve travelled a lot further than that to eat pussy...

Sorry I’ll go now

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 11:09am

Good news: Macquarie Island declared pest free after 7-year eradication program. There is talk in the Southland region of NZ's South Island of banning domestic cats.
I've now added a new forum topic on feral pests.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 11:14am

I've eaten civet before many years ago in Laos. It was in a sort of spicy stew. The guy said it was mountain cat but civets are not cats, probably closer to weasels I'm guessing. It was tasty from memory.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 11:43am

Was the civet filled with coffee beans ?

The feline version of a turducken

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 30 Dec 2018 at 3:13pm

Oldmate ate BBQed guinea pig in South America. Very strong flavour, most certainly not like chicken.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Jan 2019 at 6:58am

Happy New Year everyone. Looks like there are OK, if not fun waves at most coasts around the country today - hope y'all get a nice session in to kick start 2019!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 1 Jan 2019 at 7:31am

happy new year everyone, all the best for 2019.

after 2 montks of barely a waist high wave, the last day of the year delivered with a nice long-period groundswell and all day offshore.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 1 Jan 2019 at 8:08am

Happy new year!

No waves yet this morning (1/1), but had 3 hours of perfect 3ft righthand point waves to myself yesterday morning. Severson's classic quote ("a surfer can still be alone with his thoughts,,," or whatever it was) still holds in this neck of the woods. Very thankful for that.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 5 Jan 2019 at 7:01pm

The most frequent conversation the wife and I had last year has been acted upon. It's come to pass. We've got a dog.

'Baxter' the five year old Labradoodle was rescued from Mt Druitt, rebirthed in Thirroul as Maxy Walker, and doesn't respond to either name. Fucker slipped the noose at Macauleys yesterday and bolted all the way to Sandon without looking back, I had visions of running the back streets of Bulli chasing the bastard, but finally cornered him when the high tide blocked his progress on the rockshelf. Today I took old Tangles for a walk, new choker leash pulled tight, and missed the best morning of the season. The kids who wanted him, who said yes, they'd walk him everyday and pick up his turds, were at home watching Saturday morning cartoons.

This arvo Maxy choked his way all round town but at least sat tight under the verandah at Ryan's while I had a beer. Came home, shamed himself at dinner, but now he's crashed on his rug looking wholly content.

Been a long time, but it's good to have a dog in the house again.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Jan 2019 at 7:08pm

Kids need a dog.

Good call.

Tangles is a nice tribute to Australia past.

The beige , the bone , the off white , the ivory......

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 7:03am

Fuck yeah Stu, dogs are great to have around the home. Even if it’s you who has to walk it..

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 10:48am

Stu, get him one of those harness things to go for a walk,those neck collars are shit and choke them and can damage their throat, especially the frothers like yours.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 11:36am

Our next pet will likely be a dog, especially after many years of having a cat.
It made me recall a song my mate wrote that went something like this:

I want to be a dog
I want to be a dog
I want to be a dog
Not a chicken or a cow.

Catchy eh?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 11:48am

Stu we have a rescue dog called Milly 9 months old when we got her,gotta remember dogs are pack animals and Milly didnt know who was the leader of the pack as in what place she sits in the family.
Anyway after a couple months of her doing what she wanted i stumble across a show with Caesar Milan the dog whisperer well took his advice and everything changed for the better.Now Millie is a fantastic dog and knows her place in the pack/family.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 5:16pm

Cheers Simba. Cesar has 1,000 clips on YouTube and it also looks like he has a few different series out. Got a recommendation?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 5:19pm

Also, old Maxy Walker isn't taking after his namesake, he could care less about balls being thrown to him, or even little toys that go squeak, but put him in a room with pillows...

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm

haha pillow biter eh mmm....anyway i can't remember which episodes we watched but im sure if you watch a few you will get the drift......its all about him respecting you pretty much.....gotta feel for em though as we dont know why they are in a refuge in the first place and they are totally confused and dont understand what they have done wrong........anyway watch a bit of ceasar, show him some love and im sure you'll be alright.Good luck.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 7:16pm

Stu - and others with dog issues - get Jan Vennel's The Dog Listener. Brilliant book about how dogs think and behave, and how to give them and yourself a good life. Highly recommended.

And congratulations!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 8:23pm

We're had dogs for decades and have unsuccessfully tried pound dogs a few times. Prematurely diseased or arthritic or lumbered with behavioural problems that test the patience of a saint. Like kids the first years of a dog's life are so important and the trouble is most people shouldn't be allowed to have pets/dogs. Buying a dog and leaving it left alone all day and locked behind a gate with maybe a walk a week isn't responsible or good pet ownership. We deal with not getting pound dogs by regularly donating to the RSPCA although we don't always agree with how they operate.

Apart form all the training a dog needs as a dog owner you need 110% confidence in it around young children.

Good luck Stu.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 10:07pm

Came home one day and got told we need a lap dog. Cute lap dog duly turned up and grew up to dog that bites, had a dog trainer around (dominance type) and he left bleeding profusely.

One of those small moments in life of smug satisfaction of getting your moneys worth in blood I secretly gave the dog a big reassuring hug afterwards.

Had a dog whisper around next and got valuable advice about dealing with situations where dog gets rabid and bites.

She now spends most her time on my lap..........occasionally rabid but wouldn't have her any other way.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 10:41pm

Guy, that’s a shame. One of my dogs now is a rescue dog and he’s a gentle giant. I feel so sorry for them, not knowing the life they had before they ended up there. I can’t handle cruelty to animals, dogs especially, at all.
I encourage everyone to try to house a rescue dog next time they are thinking about getting one.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 7:47am

Yes do give them a try, I should have added a few people around us including a frail elderly lady with a walking stick have rescue greyhounds and they seem to be ideal and exceedingly gentle on a lead.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 8:20am

This morning Max was weighed down by a six year old boof at the end of the lead. Another dog crossed his vision and the SS Maxy Walker pulled anchor, dragged the six year old about ten metres across the grass park on his stomach. Tears from the anchor, laughter from his brothers. Lot of work to do.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 10:59am

@stu,

the dog training instructors would recommend a choka collar with a short lead but that recommendation would also come with instruction on how to use them correctly with food rewards. Halter collars are an admission of failure on the part of the dog's owner and are not recommended.

Labradoodles* are a fantastic family dog breed but the "doodle" bit means its highly intelligent and head strong and Max has had 5 years of running riot elsewhere. I can only recommend you engage a professional dog trainer to come around to give the family some training.

* We have Labradors and 5 year old Lab spends 20+ hours a day sleeping and dreaming of its next meal!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm

go maxy!
i say take a comfy seat, sit back and enjoy the antics...don't worry too much about training. maxy's antics will bring the whole family much joy and little pain.

i've trained dogs...but they are working dogs. and the techniques aren't that appropriate for pets. but as others have mentioned, and as you well know, dogs are pack animals. when training working dogs, here are some key points. 1/ only one person gives orders in the training phase. there is never any confusion who is pack leader. 2/ we train pack dogs by putting them in a pack of already trained dogs.

you don't have a hope of doing any of that. your pack (wife and kids) are an unruly and untrained bunch as far as the dog is concerned. they don't follow your orders. furthermore, the rest of the pack will let the dog do things you forbade.

aim for getting the whole family behind the no dog on chairs or beds, that's probably the best and most important thing for establishing pack dominance. if you can do that, everything else will be much easier. if you can't...you've got little hope of controlling maxy's behaviour. make sure max has plenty of comfy, regularly cleaned doggy beds as an alternative.

and make sure you have the phone ready to record the next time he drags your youngest all over the park.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm

Loving the banter in here and insight into owning/training a new dog.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 10:41am

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 12:18pm

Hahah

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 4:41pm

Six days into Maxy Walker's stay at Casa Nettle and aside from the odd inopportune ablution he's going pretty good, even kerbing a few of his worst habits. He's not pulling on the lead as much when he walks, he mostly stays to one side, and doesn't completely lose his shit when he sees another dog. All things relative of course, but I've seen enough to know that a few months of intensive work will pay off. Thanks to everyone's recommendations.

The thing he's going to have to work on, and frankly I'm not sure if he'll ever be cured of it, is a taste for pillows and cushions. You can see it in his eye when he moves past the lounge chairs, trying to ignore what he so wants. When he does succumb it's usually when we're out of the room and his expression when caught shows all the contrition of the serial rapist: "It's the cushions fault for looking so tasty." No remorse. 

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 4:55pm

Apologies in advance

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 5:07pm

Nah, those dogs are guilty and know it, rolling over, little tails wagging. Max Walker is a cold motherfucker. Just drops the cushion and walks off without tugging any heartstrings, quietly plotting his return to the loungeroom.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm

The tough love option is to give Maxy a cushion with some kero on in, never again will he be tempted but before that best check with Mrs Nettle to determine whether she’s using the dog as a means to renew the “soft furnishings”. Darn the cushions that find there way onto the couch at my place, it’s never ending!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 7:00pm

Cold blooded mother fucker !

That’s no dog......that’s Rick James , bitch !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 7:52pm

Haha.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 12:12am

A Labradoodle on a choker chain. That x2 bad news. No good news there Stu! However, the rescue part is good news. As Adam12 suggested, get a proper harness, those choker chains are cruel. Just picture yourself wearing one with your wife on the other end...…

Daily Good News. Just finished "Das Boot" on SBS On Demand. Fukn Brilliant….

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 9:53am

Amongst the usual crap on the box over Christmas there has been some real gems. Great reruns of Grand Designs (UK) and nightly Rock Wiz and what is there not to love about Jamie and the Nonnas. Even if you're not into cooking just seeing him interact with everyday Italians and the countryside and cities, semplicemente glorioso.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 10:00am

I love that he puts himself out there. Stands on an Italian street cooking food that Italians think only taste right when cooked by their mum, but never afraid to take shit.

Very generous with himself.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 11:58am

How goods Grand Designs UK!
Kevin the host has such a relaxed vibe about him and some of the projects they have going on are epic.
Tuesday nights one about the couple trying to build a self-sustainable type of property with only 500 pounds was really interesting, and a bit inspiring too. Love it

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm

Totally agree Island Bay and goofyfoot.

Love it when Jamie gets told off by a nonna for not going it right.

This episode of Grand Designs is so inspiring. Tom and his wife are so nice, the real deal genuine people and if you haven't seen it yet, highly recommend. They are brilliant artisans and builders.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4yhsau

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm

Wow, GS, that place is really something, such imagination and craftsmanship!

Good find, that episode.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 1:51pm

Geez I thought I was the only one who liked that show thinking it was an age thing. I like both the Aussie versions and UK ones also.
Anyone catch the Byron Bay episode? Talk about budget blowout!
https://www.domain.com.au/news/dream-house-an-extravagant-exercise-in-bl...

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 2:31pm

Kevin McCloud is really good. And having designed and built a house myself, some of the more mad DIY episodes really resonate with me.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Jan 2019 at 3:09pm

I’ll check that out tonight GS.
Island bay I’m going through the same thing myself now so I’m always keen to see what ideas other folks have