The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm

Calcium score tests are non invasive, require no medication and are quick and very accurate in determining heart health. For anyone interested please google AU sites. As I said earlier highly recommended for anyone in their mid 40s onwards with a family history of heart disease. Speak to your GP. Stress tests are an indicator of heart health and may suggest an angiogram is needed. Angiograms require day admission into a hospital, sedation and performance by a surgeon. During the angiogram it maybe decided that stents are required if narrowing of the arteries are found. If in any doubt please discuss fully with your doctor. Statins are often prescribed as preventative and required medications. They do have side effects including muscle soreness and wasting. Good health everyone. H2O, must have been very hard loosing your dad at that age, mine went way too early too, miss him heaps.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 6:32am

Appreciate your thoughts GS . Better turn this thread back to its title.
Good news is that modern medicine has made it possible for greater life and quality of life expectancy -
Plus double rainbow over Sydney early this morning!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm

I wish I had some good news! Imagine being mid sixties, and your fuckin' job is trainin' up and fixing up young cunts! Imagine being me, pristine, just a life with no fucking injuries!

I wake up, and I sprint to the mirror, and I fucking pray, just give us one fucking injury, so's I can be a eva lurvin' swillnut! Here, just strip every fucking hair off me scone, sand blast the fucker, so's I can be a swillnuttin' honcho!!! Make me fuckin' puny... stingerless even!!! Make my knees bigger than me fuckin' quads...

Why didn't I shit me fuckin' pants at and dodge blax, like goofball, brokey, gazz and the boyz!!! Let me feel what its like to be a hidden chickenshit!!!

LET ME BE A SWILLNUT SMASHED CRAB FUCKIN" YOGI!!!! JUST FUCKIN' ONCE!!!!

SAVE THE OTHERS... TWEAK ME... GIVE ME A FUCKIN' HIGHCHAIR!!!

But, nup, just fuckin pristine for another day... again. I gotta go train people. Again.

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 5:06pm

Sure you haven't had a brain injury??

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 5:16pm

You wish! Spoken like a true swillnut!

But, no, still no good news for swillnuts...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 5:35pm

Hahah that was actually very funny Cryp

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 14 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm

I recently attended my primary kids school for their awards ceremony. The Principal described how this particular student was tech orientated and how he would find glitches in programs, re write the code, and then email the company to let them know he had corrected their program. For Year 6 scedemic year my son was awarded dux of his school. (Proud dad moment)

Funny thing is he rarely ever did any homework ......my efforts of encouragement often ended up with me reminding him that high school will be very different.

When I told my mother she excitedly replied "oh wow that's amazing, we've never had a'dux' in the family"

"Yes mum, there's a reason for that".

Have a good weekend each and every one of you, and I hope you all get to catch a few. Cheers.

Coaster's picture
Coaster's picture
Coaster Friday, 14 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 15 Dec 2018 at 6:04pm

Kookaburras, we've had sometimes up to 4 around these parts, as often as not sitting in the frangipani just out he back door, watching us eating breakfast. Now down to 2 regulars who often sit on our balcony railing out the bedroom window, checking us out and wondering why we aren't out of bed yet, before swooping away down the street. I think they may have a young 'un in a nearby tree.

Love them birds. Also currawongs, no sound is more redolent of my Australian childhood, love that sound, that and the smell of seaweed drying on the beach just sends me back to long gone times.

Thanks for the comments about retirement. I've spoken to a lot of blokes in recent years who have retired to see how they have fared. One fellow just yesterday at a xmas lunch catch up said he found it a bit difficult the first few months, others said they never looked back.

I've watched people over a long period of time, my theory is that if you have nothing in your life outside of work you will probably struggle, but if you do have other things you'd like to do then it's no problems. I've got plenty I'd like to do, including surfing much more than a cube jockey can.

We won't have shiteloads coming in from super, but enough, with a bit of cash in reserve. I'd rather live a life on a bit less than work for another 4 or 5 years and be too old and decrepit when it's time to go.

Looking forward to it, just have to get a few ducks in a row and maybe one more year of work.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 4:32am

Kookaburras. Suicidal/homicidal on the roadside. And an introduced pest here in WA. Just sayin'.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 6:56am

Good News! Gangajang sing "Sunday morning and a hour at church, then I think I'll have a beer with the boys at lunch...colourful shirts colourful terousers...etc etc. Yep its church day and near Christmas..so heres a few goodans if your feeling inclined today. ...Nambucca Christian Life Centre.....Harbour Church Coffs Harbour...Lifehouse Church Coffs harbour....Lifehouse Church Woolgoolga....Elevation Church Yamba....Eastgate Church Byron Bay....Tweed Coast Church Kingscliff....Elevation Church Tweed Heads....Beachside church Currumbin....Elevation Church Varsity lakes.....All good crews at these ones as experienced in my travels...Merry Christmas!

thatguy's picture
thatguy's picture
thatguy Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 9:06am

I now have internet in my garage/workshop/man cave.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 1:55pm

Good to see some waves and xmas crays sorted. Safe travels if your driving on the roads this holiday period. Already had some people roll through stop signs around here, all good and well till you get hit by someone towing a boat/caravan or bus full of people doing legal speed limit of 90km at this intersection. I'd say tourist season but many locals guilty.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 12:50pm

fcuk, is that what the suppression order all the papers were talking about was about.
holy fcuk.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 1:54pm

Sorry FR, deleted original post as some might have viewed as negative news

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm

Finally debt free after years of work, no more mortgage, car payments etc all paid off , two new boards arrived ,Wayne Websters ,one Desert Storm and a Sniper both EPS epoxy, this will be the start of a new quiver i have in the making , the suns out lifes good yewwwwww .

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 3:35pm

Well done, Strawbs. Being debt free is a wonderful thing.

And congratulations on the boards. One question: why EPS/Epoxy for the DS?

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 5:15pm

Being debt free is one step closer to freedom Strawbs. Resist the urges of anyone who tells you to get more debt together for a bigger house, car, trip whatever. Well done.

Two and a half days work left for a month of freedom. That's good news.

strawbs's picture
strawbs's picture
strawbs Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm

Went for lightness and flex in this Desert Storm board, Island Bay ,its the 6 4 and i will use it in clean perfect conditions when there is heaps of water movement late drops but not much wind and chop at my home breaks , plan to get get some bigger ones but they will be heavier glassed versions .Yes Batfink great advice dont ever want to be a slave again to the banks , enjoy your month of freedom hope your score whatever you are doing ..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm

Living the dream Strawbs

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 7:08am

At 9:23 this morning, the poles tilt towards the sun will reach its maximum, which begins the journey for us, towards winter. Only 69 days till Autumn everyone! But who’s counting...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 8:09am

Daily good news - My John Merrick skin condition appears to have turned the corner . It’s progressive worsening seems to have stuttered at least. Bit early to be planning any public appearances though.

Got to think of the kiddies.

PS Steroids ? They make me feel eggy and generally shithouse. Fucked if I know how crew can take them voluntarily, particularly for extended periods of time. No doubt the ‘roids - in conjunction with near total physical inactivity and pre- Christmas up ramping of food intake- are making my gut muscles increase rapidly though.

Undefeated at scrabble for the past couple of days , so I’m still claiming victory over adversity.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 2:04pm

Blowin did you pick up the skin problem in bali?..i had a skin problem on my back that was like little blisters that were really itchy nearly drove me mad,only time ive had it over there...still not sure what caused it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm

Yeah , Simba.

Pretty damn sure I got it off the seats on the plane.

Sitting up on the way there and then 2 days in I’ve got this horrendous burn/ rash with blisters on the back of one knee. No other problems.

Then the return flight I’ve stretched out and gone to sleep , 2 days later Ive got this crazy skin condition everywhere that my body came into contact with the seats .

Then it started to spread further.....

So fucked up.

Puffy , swollen red skin on the inside of my elbows that look 100 percent like vaginas. Ragged bumps all over my hands , thighs and forearms. Bright red and itchy as fuck.

Bali rashes are soooo common. Since I’ve developed this little treat of a condition I’ve been googling furiously attempting to determine what it was. So many instances of crew getting hardcore rashes which mostly leave the doctors shaking their heads in bewilderment.

A million ways to get crook in the tropics.

Is your rash completely gone now ?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 2:51pm

Yeah happened a few years ago so its gone but took a while ...but sounds like you copped a triple serving.....feel for ya ...ive got a feeling it happens more when its hotter...have you tried paw paw cream or maybe an anti histamean?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 3:46pm

like your thinking shoredump .... good work.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm

Sounds like a good idea on a 6'4, Strawbs. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

Good luck on your skin condition, Blowy. I all of a sudden got old man's rosacea on my cheeks, and went through part of a 30 day antibiotic treatment. Had to bail, as I was having god awful side effects, but it cleared it up. And it turns out that my zinc sunblock was the cause. Feels good to look normal again - within reason :-)

Merry Christmas everybody. May you have waves and good times and lovely people around you. Churrrr!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 8:05am

Good news only

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 8:05am

Sun is shining

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 22 Dec 2018 at 11:48pm

Wrong thread, dickhead. Why don't you start up your own 'right-whingers' one elsewhere.

And take your herpes with ya, cobber.

Oi!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 12:01am
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 7:28am

You are my herpes.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 7:29am

But it was the wrong thread.

Sorry about the harsh vibes , man.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 23 Dec 2018 at 10:20am

Here's a real gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/How-Seinfeld-Invented-Human-Fund-...

Happy holidaze.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 24 Dec 2018 at 7:20pm

Daily good news -
got up early,
Got better than expected fun size waves.
The water was the warmest in a long time.
Caught up with old mate who I haven't seen in a while.
Had absolutely no reason to go to the local concrete shopping jungle.
Tomorrow is the annual catch up with family lunch day.
Happy holidays every one.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 24 Dec 2018 at 7:48pm

How good, went back to a part of the coast that I used to mission to every weekend it was on years ago when I lived in Adelaide.

There was hardly anyone around and the clarity and warmth of the water was blissful. Raw and beautiful landscapes with the rising moon on dark, setting at dawn as we paddled out for the dawny. Merry Christmas everyone!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 25 Dec 2018 at 10:10am

Merry Xmas everyone!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 25 Dec 2018 at 10:37am

Have a a great day everyone!

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Tuesday, 25 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm

Best wishes to the Swellnet Crew and readers for Christmas and the festive season. Nice surf at our local . . . yeah!!!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 28 Dec 2018 at 10:47pm

Saw a golden Christmas beetle on my porch. Hooray! I thought the little tackers were gone. Remember seeing so many in so many beautiful metallic colours as a kid before moving out to WA, and been back 10 years now and had yet to see one. And there he was, doing the golden reflective thing. Yay!

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2016/11/australi...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 8:12am

Funny you say that, i saw a nice metallic green one the other day and though wow i haven't seen one in years and years while when i was young they were everywhere.

The colours of some of them are amazing.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 11:40am

I haven't seen any Christmas beetles lately but I stumbled on this clip " CULT OF FREEDOM : THE TAJ PART" on Vimeo and it's made my morning. My pick for best clip of 2018 and I came on it just in the nick of. I wasn't a huge Taj fan when he was on tour, but since he hopped off my opinion of his surfing has elevated exponentially and he looks so stoked and happy to boot. Inspiring waves and surfing.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 11:50am

Good news is that apparently the Christmas beetles numbers are healthy, according to the abc.

If anyone should make an arthouse movie of my life it will be titled: “chook dreams of Christmas beetles”.
Nothing captures the nostalgia of childhood and lost family life in the bush more than swarms of Christmas beetles covering everything,

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 12:08pm

I haven’t seen a Christmas beetle forages now that you mention it.

You think they miss being held in a closed fist and having to claw their way out ?

Taj is incredible. Still . He got way better with age. I saw him fuck his knee at the Bluff, tore my heart strings. It’s a long way out the point to watch someone else surf , particularly if you’re lugging beers. Then to see them go down in the first couple of waves....devastating.

His acclaim isn’t universal though...passing through the ‘Gong a few days ago and Taj has parked his car in front of the bin collection area at my mates place where he stayed for a few days . The locals were tying nooses and carving pitchforks ....you don’t fuck with Tuesday bin Collection.

And he was spotted parking facing in the wrong direction !!!!

You’ve got to love apartment block politics.

Jokes, pretty sure the same locals would sleep in the bottom of the dumpster if Taj asked them to.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm

Yep age isn't doing him any harm, makes you think if Kelly relaxed and got over his envy of others winning and him not, what he could achieve on trips like that.
The other thing with Taj is that he's not as far as I know on the WSL wagon, he's just surfing and representing his sponsors, which makes it even easier for me to digest.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 3:03pm

We've had a lot of mature trees unnecessarily felled by a developer on the adjoining acre block to us, one where a breeding pair of magpies have lived for years. Last year they raised three young and this year only the one. Anyway, we thought the male had died somehow with the trees being cut down as he hasn't been around and the female and her youngster have been struggling to ward off the (fucking) Indian Mynas, Noisy Mynas, Butcher Birds, Wattle Birds and Korraburras that call our neighbourhood home (to name just the larger birds here). The good news: its been good to watch this year's young Magpie take an aggressive approach to these birds so we are guessing it might be a male and the alpha male Maggie of the pair is back and restoring order to the skies in the neighbourhood. Happy new year.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 6:46pm

I don't know why, maybe it's your left wing views, but i always pictured you living in the inner city area Toorak/Praharan/South Yarra.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 7:17pm

Left wing and toorak?
Does not compute.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 8:09pm

I can’t bring myself to kill an animal just because it’s introduced/ feral , but if I was to start then it’d be Indian Mynas at the very top of the hit list.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 29 Dec 2018 at 9:07pm

I did some work experience in a national park - I have to say that a seeing a pig lying dead with a dinner-plate sized hole in its chest due to a shotgun blast didn't bother me a bit.
Unlike the smell as we gutted it ;)