The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 12:05pm

you're a classic Blowin.

I'm a bird nerd too- personal fave, Regent Bower bird, used to see them camping on the mid-north coast. King parrots too.

We have a cool bird here called a 'Kiji' which is a type of pheasant. They live around my house. I wish i could count 40 odd species near me. But, every morning on the way out to walk the idog i chuck out a handful of birdseed for the eager crew of sparrows waiting for me.

Btw, i really like that movie.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 12:07pm

Still yet to see these with my own eyes! Look super cute. Apparently there was one in the tree outside a few months ago but I missed it.

The great thing about my backyard is that early every morning there's at least one if not three Kookaburra's sitting out there. Great birds.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm

We had a couple of kookaburras( great name) that were fairly tame and one day they were fighting over this big skink which both had an end each in there beaks.Well you could actually touch them and neither would let go so this went on for an hour or so, so to break the impasse i got a pair of sicissors and cut the now dead skink in two and they both flew off with half each.....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 1:59pm

Haha that's great!! Problem solvered.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm

My favourite feathered friend used to be Wedge Tail Eagles but after getting seriously dive bombed over spring by a big family of Magpies every time me, the wife and the dogs go for our walk they’ve taken the cake. So much staunch, don’t give a shit attitude! I love it!
Nothing funnier than seeing a little Maggie scare the fuck out of a 45kg Doberman

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 5:15pm

I reckon magpies are my favourite too. So much personality.

Currawongs are pretty cool . Such mellow temperament, but they’re usually the apex of their territories. They’ll get humbugged by everything with wings till they get pissed off , then they own the fuckers. Their song seems to be even more Australian to me than that of the kookaburra .

I’ve seen regents and satin bowerbirds and king parrots already this week . Plus a wedgey a couple of days ago.

Earlier in the year I got to hang out with a wallaby for a few months whilst I was camping. Such a cool little partner lounging around the camp. She had a Joey that was a little legend. Till a pair of wedge tails nabbed it. Those wedgies eyed the Joey off for weeks before they struck.

Once I saw a wedgey grab a full grown red necked wallaby that weighed probably 15-20 kgs. Dug the talons in its back and took off . It got a few metres in the air before dropping it.

I’ve always wondered if it meant to kill/injure it by dropping it , or if it was just too freaking big to fly away with. Amazing thing to witness.

Cp's picture
Cp's picture
Cp Thursday, 29 Nov 2018 at 6:15pm

Reasons to be cheerful...
- on the train home after four days in Sydney and stumbling across this thread
- raising three young men on the South Coast, aged 15, 18 and 20.
- a couple of weeks ago, seeing eldest jump off the rocks 30 mins after I texted him to say I’m going for a surf - ‘hey dad, thought I’d join you’
- planning our first OS surf holiday for the family next April.
- doing the mental design/shape of my next short board
I’ve enjoyed every age as a parent, but am really loving being a father of young adults.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 1 Dec 2018 at 9:36pm

Come across this ......anyone old enough to remember the tune its just a gold performance

https://www.facebook.com/Jackstuffcorner/videos/957104887806927/?t=0

The Danes what a culture

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Saturday, 1 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm

I've definitely heard of the song, so maybe an age thing.
Awesome seeing it live though.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Saturday, 1 Dec 2018 at 10:16pm

"Once I saw a wedgey grab a full grown red necked wallaby that weighed probably 15-20 kgs. Dug the talons in its back and took off . It got a few metres in the air before dropping it."

Be good to see a wedge tail grab a red headed red neck from Ipswich and drop it from a great height

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 1 Dec 2018 at 11:36pm

There was a series of movies (spaggi westerns) made by Italians (with Clint ) "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" "Fist Full of Dollars" and "for a few More Dollars" suspect they didn't travel well with age but the tune from "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" is a classic IMHO.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 7:43am

About ten years back I went and saw 'The Ennio Morricone Experience' (now known as the Spaghetti Western Experince) at the Opera House. Five guys on stage with, from memory, 300 various 'instruments' to play recreating songs and scenes from the Eastwood/Morricone/Leone films. Some of them standards - guitar and keyboards - and others improvised - a microphone thrust into a Corn Flakes pack to recreate the sound of footsteps, tall piles of phone books pushed over for each dead body falling. Great gig. 

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 8:21am

A good offer on our apartment! Got to be great news.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 8:31am

Stoked.

How far South are you thinking of relocating ?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 9:27am

Good luck bb, but I gotta ask knowing you've got a busy retirement to consider, wouldn't you be better relocating North? You know, where the water is warmer.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 9:37am

Great news BB must have been the work on the grout, just got to get my place cleaned up and on the market same same then sold after that need to drop immigration to lower house prices for Blowing.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 9:54am

I’m waiting in the wings I Focus !!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 11:12am

Yeh focus, the offer was all based on the superb grouting! But, more realistically, we worked our arses off to get it looking its best and we had a great agent in Toby Martin. He always gave 100% in his surfing and has taken that approach into his new career.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 7:32am

We’ve been up the south coast for a week now, surf hasn’t been great but I’ve got two in a day and even surfed a fickle river mouth the other morning. All friendly with lots of smiles in the water and surfing in my 2mm wetsuit is a bonus. Even getting in some swim in my boardies. Life’s good.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 12:09pm

Holy shit! An even better offer!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 12:13pm

The benefits of high immigration largely flow through to the urban property owner (via increasing asset prices), increasing the divide in Australia society between the landlords and the renters.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 12:39pm

freeride, the offer was from people who want to live in it and if I am benefitting now, like everyone else I know who owns in Sydney, I have made significant sacrifices along the way. Think 20 years without a surf trip further than the south coast.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm

No need to justify your good fortune BB.
Good luck to you mate.

I was just making some simple observations about the reality of Australia's socio-economic position.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 3:11pm

FR Credit has far greater impact

"It does look like the rate of decline is starting to gather a little bit of momentum now, particularly as we start to see owner-occupiers becoming less active in the market, because previously the downturn has very much been fuelled by tighter credit conditions for investors,"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-03/home-prices-record-fastest-falls-...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 4:35pm

All done at a great price, pretty much what was expected when we first considered selling 12 months ago. No politics here! Happy to discuss house prices elsewhere.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 5:11pm

Kookaburras.

I started noticing every time I walked out the house this kookaburra would come down and sit on the fence, close to wherever I was.

Then I figured out why.

I was throwing flathead frames into the bush and this enterprising Kooka was grabbing the frames and hanging them in trees for Ron.

All meat eating birds, love eating fish frames.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm

Kookaburra just smashed a baby brown snake a couple of metres away from where I was rebirthing an old favourite board.

Saved my life !!!!

Maybe.

You been getting a feed , Freeride?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 5:22pm

Heaps of flathead.
this old bloke at the dump let slip his honey hole and it's been firing.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 6:08pm

You fish for bullshark freeride ?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 6:42pm

nah, I like catching fish to eat.

Wouldn't eat a stinky bull shark out of the river.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 7:10pm

We have Tawny Frogmouths, Kookaburras, Magpies, Parrots .... down to tiny little finches and honeyeaters in our garden. Water dishes are they go to attract birds to your garden.

Pelicans.

Saw a flock of pelicans being constantly being harassed by one of those tiny ankle biters once. For 20 minutes or so this dog ran up and down the shore barking at the pelicans causing them to take flight. The dog’s owners were quite happy for the dog to annoy the birds like this right up to the time a pelican flew in and grabbed the dog and flew out to sea with it only to drop it a few hundred metres out. Karma.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm

I was fishing on Bribie Island up near Buckleys hole.
caught a really nice flathead. Good fish, probably 65-70cm.....about as big as you can keep.
Put it in this little shallow tide depression and kept fishing.

This pelican waded over to it and put it straight down it's throat.

I protested vigourously but the pelican waded off quite smugly.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 7:17pm

I would’ve paid money to see that Guy.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 7:17am

Classic night, the woman who bought our place has been living across the street, so we got together with her and our agent to toast the deal. Three hours and several bottles later we were all sitting on the deck passing the guitar around laughing like we had known each other forever. Great to sell to someone you like!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 9:42am

I like it! How it should be. Reminds me of a place I sold in Ellie. Insane views, immaculate house, a lot of hard work went into it. Magnificent bush gardens, awesome stone work, big shed... lost count of the people from all over the world who sat at at that table, looking out at the swell. Even had cams looking out the window... non stop surf reports! Not to mention the gym. I'd just finished building a new place, and a heap of units, so time for that one to move. I decided to drive up from Lincoln, surf, put some signs in the shops, put the word out. Rally's fuel stop first, Neutron boys were fueling up for a days diving.

'What;s happenin' ya surfin?'

'Might have a quick one before work... what you up to?'

'Selling the house, going surfing, looks good for a few days.'

'Yeh? Shit how much?'

'Done, I'll come around tonight after work, and bring the check.'

'Deluxe, have a good one!'

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 9:17pm

I have some good news and some bad news that can be seen as good news.

Last Sunday I decided to do the midday surf shift. By the time I arrived the wind had just started picking up off shore, the sets were sill a good 3-4 even, though pretty inconsistent and there was about a dozen blokes out. Within an hour and a half there was just 2 of us, so I stayed out for another hour an half. That was the longest surf I have had in ages. It was so good.

That night I suddenly felt ill, had a bit of a temp, and a gut that seemed it was starved. (Trust me, it gets fed, religiously), had a couple of panadol and put it down to sunstroke. But it wasn't.

Couldn't sleep and had pretty much convinced myself at 4am Monday morning, that I was driving to the Hospital at 530am. Turned up at Emergency, no one there, straight in to a bed within 10 minutes. Urine, and blood tests and a drip. No pain relief until the doctor arrives to diagnose acute appendicitis. Once diagnosed, the lady with the magic morphine arrives. Happy daze. The imaging department didn't open to 830am, but that final confirmation was the final check. My first ever visit to hospital was going well. Even though I wasn't.

The decision was made due to age and probability of recurrence to cut the useless appendix out. I knew I had a long wait and even got shifted back by a patient who was "determined to die" but the hospital staff had a better idea, but it was going to take a lot of time. By 11 pm I was back in my ward less appendix. By 11am today I was on my way home. Honestly, we have a fantastic health care system and so glad I live in Australia. Good news.

Bad news is I can't drive for a week or go surfing for at least a month. Good news is I've already nominated myself as official surf photographer for the local crew. Well, for the next month that is.

Good news update: Despite my personal belief that I would be fine with panadol and Nurofen, I'm now glad the doctor insisted that I pick up 3 Endos om the way out. Not long now till I get one of those into me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 9:22pm

Well done, Westof.

Live to fight another day.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 10:48pm

Thanks Blowin.
More of a lover than a fighter , but I do appreciate the spirit of your comment.

Updated update.
Endone aka Endos,
Comes with a 4 page Consumer Medical Information sheet.
Oh yea man that is good shit pain relief.

My wife says to me "I woulda taken one hours ago".
And that says something, because she has had her spleen removed at 12, bum operated on at 19, appendix removed, 2 C sections, and a fibroid removed about 2 years later.

We did discuss the thought that she should have a long time ago put in a zipper.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 11:53pm

Heavy WOTL, wishing you have a speedy recovery.

I had bad news diagnosed with coronary heart disease (in the family both sides I had no other risk factors..........nothing just the genes)

Good news only narrowing in the LAD two stents and all good back in the water two weeks later now 4 weeks and jumping.

Yes we do have fantastic health care system and yeah best part was the sedation instant wack oh yeah.

If any one has a family history a stress test (about 80% accuracy) is worth the cost I had no symptoms and my fitness was excellent but a walking time bomb.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 7:33am

Stress tests are good but a calcium score test are way more accurate, They are a MRI like test that accurately shows heart health. Highly recommend where there is a family history in your mid 40s. Stents only work long term if diet is modified. Good health everyone.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 7:33am

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 9:36am

My father died age 48 of a heart attack. Having annual check up next week which includes stress test and this year also coronary angiogram - latter supposed to be "low dose " radiation ?? Is the calcium score test the one which analyses proteins?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 11:42am

H20 dont know re calcium score test the the MRI I know about is a much lower dose than early types and is pretty accurate (Prospective Cardiac CTa) they inject contrast similar to angiogram usually some sort of iodine mate had one the other day $650.

Angiogram is the only sure way of knowing if you go through that make sure your cardio has you on blood thinners before so they can stent you there and then.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 11:50am

You know what’s good news ?

The fact that there’s no DUI for caffeine as I’d be well past the 0.05 on my way to the big smoke right now.

Isn’t it strange how every trip to the airport feels like a Friday ? Forecast looks very good. Good enough to green light an impromptu mission in order to surf some reefbreaks. Damn beachies , they can do my head in at times.

So it’s full speed down the highway . Music blaring on shuffle. Came across an old pop hit from the ‘80s. I used to love this song as a sprog. Still do , particularly the video whose entire attitude is so dated it’d give anyone with modern sensitivities conniptions.

Arrogant colonialist swanning around amongst the smelly foreigners before literally hunting down a dehumanised female and wrestling her into submission.....trigger warning here folks :

And thanks for the long range forecasts Ben and Craig. Worth every penny of the subscription. I’m putting my money on you fellas being on the money .

Cheers

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 12:52pm

Nice Blowin, yeah there are a couple of good swells heading up that way, hope you get your fill of barrels!

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 3:00pm

Thanks I focus

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm

Have a great trip Blowin! Hope it cranks for you.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 4:21pm

Enjoy Blowin, no sweeter taste than airport beer

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm

Onya Blowin. Remember, pics or it didn't happen ;)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm

Calcium score tests are non invasive, require no medication and are quick and very accurate in determining heart health. For anyone interested please google AU sites. As I said earlier highly recommended for anyone in their mid 40s onwards with a family history of heart disease. Speak to your GP. Stress tests are an indicator of heart health and may suggest an angiogram is needed. Angiograms require day admission into a hospital, sedation and performance by a surgeon. During the angiogram it maybe decided that stents are required if narrowing of the arteries are found. If in any doubt please discuss fully with your doctor. Statins are often prescribed as preventative and required medications. They do have side effects including muscle soreness and wasting. Good health everyone. H2O, must have been very hard loosing your dad at that age, mine went way too early too, miss him heaps.