The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Saturday, 14 Sep 2019 at 7:18pm

The rare human who lives life at 100%
Inspiring stuff. Shame on people like Udo and I, who settle for 65%.
Carpe Diem
Stop avoiding the barrel Jug and you’ll be fine next time

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 8:14pm

Leaving Sydney...

How good is concealing child sex abuse?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 10:53pm

Stu wonderful prose on the last page. Red Gold. When the youngest and I did the chambered paulownia board project, stringer was Red Cedar - the Aussie one. Like a heartstring in Harry Potter's wand.

First surf was 36 degree low tide Bells and he lugged it down under the cliff the whole way to Centreside. It came alive when it got in the water, got all this buoyancy from seemingly nowhere. The board seems to gravitate into the pocket, has speed, turns well and a has sense of momentum that feels very different. And a Red Gold heart.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 10:56pm

I was also thinking if you want to leave something wonderful for the world as an old man, find some run down land on a hill or a river in one of the areas these famed trees grow and plant a ton of Red Cedar, Bunya Pine, Celery Top, or Huon Pine. If you do it well, it will be there 2000 years later.

You could also find an alpine lake and go nuts with King Billy Pine, what a tree and timber that is! Ah, the old trees of Gondwana...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 1:54am

And plant grass too,

Native grass endemic to the area. Like a sponge, over time will replenish aquifers and drought proof your land.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 1:56am

Grass is good.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 8:35am

Cheers, VJ. The latest good news in my life is a little more prosaic than the last but it brings a whole lot more relief.

Two words:

Kidney stone.

And I'll give you another two words:

Sea urchin.

That's what it feels like you're trying to piss out the eye of your cock when you have a kidney stone. They say the pain is worse than childbirth, and I don't care what my wife says about it, she only did it three times but I tried to piss that sea urchin out maybe ten times a day for two weeks. Sweating bullets in the middle of the night over what should be a relaxing slash, gripping the bathroom walls teeth clenched in terror, hopping back into bed body shaking knowing it'll be morning soon, nature will call and I'll have to go through it all again.

Went on like that for a few weeks but now it's over and my pisses are carefree once again.

Sweet relief.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 9:30am

Ouch! Good to hear you feel better Stu, Dad went through that (and we were none the wiser, he was tough).
I copped a sea urchin at the Fairy Bower once (surfing with Channels) and it was like having little shards of granite rock in my toe for months afterward. I'd operate, all gone, it would heal, oh, there it was again. We don't really get them around here, or if we do, I keep missing them.

Zen, Peter Andrews' book "Back from the Brink" - how to fill Australia with water again, he would agree with you I reckon.

OK more good news, I put down money for the first guitar I will have bought since 1994. Went into a shop where my young one was looking at Teles, and love at first sight! I'm even going to book some lessons as part of the purchase (young one has benefited greatly from this). I feel 15 again... Being of X Gen, it was all about Jaguars - Strats were unaffordable. Then our heros (who must have been as broke as us) started coming up in music vids using said Jaguars. What took my eye was a Meteora, in Lake Placid blue. It really is like they've done the shape since the 60's, all the more impressive that it has been created in the last year. Double humbuckers and some flexibility in sound which people seem to love to play with today. I'm going to be making a lot of noise.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:20am

what happened Stu?

I get feet fulls of urchin spines around here from time to time, they move in and get so thick.

thought I'd got 'em all out and about a month later I saw a pimple on the top of my foot. Popped it and an urchin spine came out of it. it went the whole way through my foot!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:57am

Nah, not actual sea urchins, just felt like I had to pass a spiky sea urchin out my Jap's. Maybe caused by not drinking enough water?

Never get too phased about actual urchin spikes. During good runs of swell I've often got a few in my feet at any one time. It's come that I now associate them with swell so on some masochistic level I like urchin spikes.

Few years back I hit the bottom with my hand and had one go down the inside of my fingernail then break off down there. That one hurt.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 11:30am

Ah yes Stu, I remember the phone call that day - 3rd July 2013 - "Ben, I'm gonna be late for work today".

And then the email came through, with the subject: "The last bit of urchin had to stay"

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 24 Sep 2019 at 11:45am

So sad to hear about that Rock Lobster moving you on Stu!
[ LOCALS ONLY ]

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 25 Sep 2019 at 9:30am

Here I am in the residential equivalent of the after- hours pub lock-in. The women folk have gone to recover their sanity at a “ wellness “ retreat and so I’m doing a four day shift as the carer for old mate.

Could be much worse.

The sun is shining and the birds are singing. He’s napping hardcore , post breakfast , so all I’ve got to sort is lunch and an appropriate movie for the matinee. Being an ex- lead singer in a band in his day , he was all over yesterday’s selection of the Frankie Valli biopic “ Jerseyboys “ . I’m thinking of going with a western theme today. Perhaps “ unforgiven “. Oldie but a goodie.

In other news- Had a phascogale running around on the deck last night. Never seen one of them before. Cute little bugger.

Might even sip on a sneaky beer this arvo as there’s not much else going down. Got a new board and new fins delivered, feeling fit and ready to pounce on a little wave chase in the near future.

Good times.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 25 Sep 2019 at 10:41am

Tick tock...

Good times.

Vale.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm

I’ve been house bound , and by that I mean not straying beyond the approximately 30 metres range of an emergency care alarm , for 4 days now.

It could’ve been viewed a prison sentence but I’ve decided to enjoy it . Knowing how grumpy I get without exercise, I’ve embarked on an arduous regime of bedroom body weight resistance sessions. Set the goal of 1000 push ups in the four days and I’ve just finished.

Thank Christ . News doesn’t get much better than that. I’ve had a gut full of sit ups.....boom tish.

Pretty keen to get in the ocean. Watching the sun sparkle off the water is driving me mad.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 1:13pm

Fuck, you must be ripped! Do us a favour and post a selfie while flexing. Shirt lift and trout pout would be unreal too.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm

Ha yea 1000 push-ups is inspirational, and makes my 20 a day look decidedly like a rather piss-poor effort. I'd be ok if you held back on the selfie though....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 1:37pm

Blowin be Interesting if you could do your Pushups after 3 rounds of the Wim Hof breathing method and report back..
its pushups with no Breathe...done on the Exhale.....wild shit !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 1:39pm

Ummm...the exercises are for mental health, strength and to get fit .

Allegedly to get fit , cause my exercise routine certainly doesn’t fill 16 waking hours, but it turns out that eating and sipping beers does fill a lot of that time nicely .

I’ve put on 3 kilos in 4 days . No shit....3 kilos.

How is that possible ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 1:45pm

Starting to get a nice bit of definition in my arms from the push ups.

Bikini ready by summer !

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 2:18pm

Be careful of the shoulders Blowin smashing out too many push ups particularly with bad technique will cause issues.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 2:26pm

Good call. I’ll give it a rest for a bit.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 4:02pm

Self indulgent but vaguely related story -

I was training with this fella, he was getting ready to fight in the cage. He stripped a whole lot of weight and was ready to go, and I probably saw him two days before his fight.

Anyway, I saw him about a week later and I had to do a double take.

He'd been making up for lost time with the food he'd been doing without and he'd put on 17kg in the week after his fight.

In one week.

I've never seen anything like it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 4:58pm

jeezuz, how would you even manage to shovel it all in?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 26 Sep 2019 at 5:10pm

He was saying he was hoeing into multiple massive stacked burgers each sitting, several times per day, every day.

Plus chips, and beer and all the rest.

Eight pack to beer gut in a week.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 27 Sep 2019 at 9:13am
sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 4:38pm

with respect, that abc vids pretty lame

I prefer this one

https://m.

&fbclid=IwAR1vtYhAPEQVsX0HmNijgDEqUtbOEgkAcXHX94glyuwEOEVUypLDctGvcOU

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 8:38pm

Eco Death Metal.
Musical angst.
Classic stuff.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 6:11am

Oh god sypkan that video is all time!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 1:04pm

Jeezus Ezra Lavant of Rebel news isnt holding back. Twitter and U -tube

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 6:21pm

Greta sense of humour.

https://metalinjection.net/latest-news/greta-thunberg-comments-on-death-...

Fuddy duddies, the right side of history is a bitch (so to speak), huh?

Hah!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 3:38pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 10:46am

On the outset of four connecting flights the spirits were high. Excitement building as we took our seats on flight 1 , only to lead to dismay as the fog rolled in and we disembarked at our point of departure.

Coffee filled the wait as the fog settled even thicker. Nervous moments ensued. Just as things were looking like they would descend into an airport themed hell , replete with a string of touring pensioners hitting peak whine within minutes of the scenario unfolding, the fog miraculously lifts and we abandon the check in counter and our mind-buckling attempts to reroute our journey.

We land in New South Canton ( Sydney ) with a mere breath of wiggle room only to be told that the catering truck has suffered a mischief, leading to a half hour delay.

So here I sit , content in the knowledge that at least now my boards have a fighting chance of making the flight.

The adventure has begun.....fingers crossed.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 10:52am

Peak wine sounds good.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 11:13am

No wine involved.

Though the sugary good times did begin to ferment and there was an unstable culture forming which was regularly venting gas.

No alcohol till I cross the equator. Then it’s all hands on deck , matey.....aaaarrggg !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 11:19am

Can I ask what exposure-sensitive location you're travelling to?

Write it in invisible ink if you must.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 11:46am

Sumatra.

And I just realised that I’ve underestimated the chronological progression of the journey. In other words , equator be fucked , it’ll be a beer with lunch and a movie. I’m thinking “ Yesterday “ , an allegedly humorous romp through an alternate reality in which The Beatles never existed and an amateur fan with previous knowledge of their discography is propelled to fame by claiming their era defining hits as his own.

Now that I think about it , I may need more than just one beverage to see me through that cinematic masterpiece with my sanity intact.

No beers till the equator ?

Jesus, I’m still sitting on the tarmac at Sydney. Who was I kidding *?

*Myself .

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 8 Oct 2019 at 1:16pm

Via KL Blowin?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 22 Oct 2019 at 5:51pm

Mon.21st Oct,2019
{.Front Page News.}
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tues,22nd Oct 2019
Google Crashes

Wed,23rd Oct 2019
Tinfoil Hats Sold Out.

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Tuesday, 22 Oct 2019 at 12:32pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 8 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm

Here's some daily good news that common wisdom would approve:

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/australia/coal-consumption

Click on the 'Max' tab and you get history as far back as 1965. You can see our coal consumption is down about 20% from the 2008 peak. Pretty useful website, you can see all sorts of info. Even our (massive) export of coal has flatlined for now.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 8 Nov 2019 at 12:26pm

Good site.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 9 Nov 2019 at 1:51pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Nov 2019 at 2:19pm

Too bad that the way the government views it is that there’ll be a viable dredge harvesting industry in a few years.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 9 Nov 2019 at 3:56pm

Both bays down here in Vic have really improved in health in the last 20 years with abolishment or strict regulation of different commercial fisheries, scalloping, netting, and protection of sea grass beds, our fishery is actually quite healthy now, i still think some of our recreational fishing quotas are too high though.

Look what has happened in SA their Snapper fisheries is fucked and had to close their Snapper fishery for a few years so it can recover.

Trawling and dredging is the most fucked up thing, i did a short stint on a prawn trawler in Morten bay years ago and the by catch was crazy and most went back dead, the chains on the bottom of the nets just rip up the bottom too (to stir up prawns from mud into nets)

Really if we cared this is the shit we should boycott.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 14 Nov 2019 at 9:56am

Me and some cohorts just scored prime acreage for a song in God's* own country. The countdown begins to blow this popsicle stand, build an Earthship, Doomsday prep, and surf till death. Huzzah!

*whichever manifestations float your boat.