The Daily Good News

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm

Dedicated to good news ....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 5:41pm

Good news!

I'm on the doorstep of a massive jalapeno harvest, maybe 10 or 12 plants each weighed down with 10 or 12 fruit each, and more budding all the time.

Didn't know what to do with them - pickle them? make a sauce? play practical jokes on the kids? - but since we're having Xmas Day at our house and the wife is putting on a huge spread and expecting some input from me, I've just tested jalapeno poppers and they were unreal.

Sliced a few big ones in half, then I spread cream cheese in, sprinkled parmesan cheese, and a few smoky bacon chips crushed up. Heat under the grill and scarf.

Dumb name, good food.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 5:44pm

They sound frickin awesome.

Your Gudangs arrive yet ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 5:47pm

That's got my mouth watering Stu!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 5:59pm

Yep. Quality tested one in the alley this arvo. Shame I didn't have the accompanying smell of fresh sewage to go with it, but it was satisfactory nonethesless.

Cheers. Keep an eye out for the 50 Rupiah bank transfer.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 7:52pm

remember your mates Stu.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 8:14pm

Tidak masalah

Selamat natal

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 8:43pm

Every Christmas I luckily get a window of waves at this joint in between work commitments. This year, as the years previous just fills my heart and sould with good vibes. So much wildelife, untouched and pristine beaches (Fark off Equinor!) and options a plenty of a surf away from the crowds.

Stoked on 4x surfs yesterday and so so many waves :D

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 8:46pm

Craig, backroads on the ABC tonight was on the high country around Charlotte Pass

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 8:56pm

Oh sick, will scope online, thanks!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 10:05am
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 1:48pm

Nice pics Craig. I must of just missed you. Flew back east on the weekend after a week camping down that way. Drove back to Adelaide last Thursday afternoon in 47 degree heat with a busted air conditioner. Nearly killed me!

Seeing as stu brought up the subject of hot and spicy food, while I was down there I ordered a curry from George the Marion Bay ‘Curry Nazi’.

The Pork Vindaloo is my go to every time however he had brewed up a special Jamaican Jerk char-grilled Chicken dish spiced with Carolina Reaper, the hottest chilli in the world! I couldn’t resist.

There are tamer options on the menu for those with a more delicate palate....

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 1:43pm

Sting ring?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 1:46pm

Nice. I've got a Carolina Reaper growing in the garden but it hasn't fruited yet.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 1:54pm

Yeah Ben said you were around, just missed ya! And god that must of been a real mental struggle YS! 47 degrees and that long drive egh..

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 1:55pm

They’re an evil looking chilli. Yeah guy there was some suffering involved but George’s curry’s are really tasty.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 2:00pm

How did the patented chilli poppers go down ? They sounded amazing.

Almost as amazing as the coconut Dahl in Marion Bay.

Mmmmmm.....coconut.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 2:16pm

Actually foodie magazine Gourmet Traveller had a classic if slightly corny write up on George’s Curries and other Yorke Peninsula culinary delights a few years ago. It’s a good read.....

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/travel/travel-news/yorke-peninsula-5271

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 2:18pm

Jalapeno Poppers coming out tomorrow when the guests rock around. Should have around 30 big ones. The serving time will appear random, but their appearance at the table is critical if I'm to take the wind out of the sails of my wife's duck salad.

I know the season is all about giving etc, but I want people talking about my dish.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 2:31pm

Not much can compare with the overwhelming pride of having undercut the achievements of those you love most dearly.

Don’t forget to drop a few pubes in the duck salad just to erase any doubt .

Merry Christmas !

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 4:43pm

Had a curry recently and notwithstanding the waiter’s warning the chef had only recently come out from India I went all in. Needless to say it ended badly, 2 jugs of iced water and 6 stubbies didn’t quench the numb furnace that was my mouth. The next day I couldn’t sit such was the pain. I didn’t come good for days.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 24 Dec 2019 at 9:31pm

But honestly.....still worth the pain ?

Saya cinta pedas !

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 1:01am

Lebih pedas lebih enak.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 7:31am

Merry Xmas everyone.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 8:55am

Merry Christmas one and all.

All I want for Christmas is a New Year cyclone swell.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 10:46am

Christmas miracle around here.

Have had a solid downpour of rain with the sky still grey and the potential of more to come. It may have finally put out the fire which has been threatening and burning steadily in the background for the last month.

It may now be a 40,000 hectare firebreak.

Merry Christmas crew. Cheers for laughs , intrigue and entertainment over the past year.

CMC's picture
CMC's picture
CMC Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 11:24am

I'm in Port Mac and it dumped last night and early hours this morning after drizzle for last couple of days.
Great to hear the rain on the roof!!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 2:47pm

News that it’s raining is the best news ever, happy Christmas

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 3:24pm

Well that was a jolly jape through the last 6 months good news.

And Stu, passing urchins, OUCH, bit young for that aren't you. And chaining gudangs, and with a rooted shoulder, bloody he'll man. You're at an age where you have to hang on for dear life, not let it all hang out.

Xmas day has been a blast. Did the wife's family thing yesterday. Tis only small, a sister and brother in law the entirety of her extended family.

So the over eating and drinking has been done. Wife and daughter went to carols, rest of today just sitting around, all reading something.

My family, all 8 siblings, don't bother to ring around to keep in touch. We'll see each other whenever. Not a very sentimental lot.

So it's just sitting around, reading and resting. All Xmases should be like this.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 3:41pm

Fuck mate , I’ve eaten so much Quality Street that the next edition Gregory’s directory will need to devote a dozen extra pages just to cover the contents of my stomach.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 4:22pm

皆さまへメリークリスマス

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 5:10pm

Chilly chilly xmas surf with just me and another two mates but good to get out there.

Merry Christmas everyone i hope Satan brought you dry dreams and wet farts and I hope one day he brings a cure for my dyslexia.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to walk my god.

All the best for 2020 surf hounds.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 5:45pm

Happy Christmas, degenerates!

Managed to not overeat, then got some 1-2ft subtropical right point runners under everyone’s noses. Mission accomplished. Yew!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm

Merry Christmas all, hope you had a great day with family and friends, or if you were working you got paid well :)

After a 10 hour work day, I ended up have a solo surf of warm water point break runners, in the rain no less.

Good enough for me.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 16 Jan 2020 at 6:41pm

Driving home in the rain, how goods that! Cannot remember the last time that happened!

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 16 Jan 2020 at 7:42pm

Great news Distracted.

Had a solid storm at work today with lightning hitting our building and crashing the 'boom' gate.

Then it flogged down for about 5 minutes. I stood and watched and appreciated.

Forecast for more "showers and thunderstorms". That is good news.

Hope everyone is getting some.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Sunday, 26 Jan 2020 at 1:41am
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 1:38pm

Some of you may think this is strange, but I’m sure most will appreciate it ...

After spending many years in the desert and having recently endured the worst of the East coast drought , I crave rain. Always .

When it looks like it will piss down for days I start to get revved like a little kid at Christmas. So to come in from a fun morning of waves starving hungry and then have it start to absolutely bucket down in fat tropical drops just as I’m getting served sate seafood sticks....it just doesn’t get any better.

Cheers Huey you fricken legend

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm

Ha ha...nice one. Well we've had a bit or rain at home, not much, but enough to kick my almighty Carolina Reaper plant into fruiting.

Hottest motherfucking chilli on Earth!

The Carolina Reaper clocks in at 2.3 million Scoville units, which is about 500 times hotter than your bog standard Jalapeno - a pissweak 5,000 Scoville units.

"It has been described as having a fruity taste, with the initial bite being sweet and then immediately turning to molten lava."

Haven't decided who's going first yet, me, one of the kids or the dog.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 2:16pm

“with the initial bite being sweet and then immediately turning to molten lava."

Sounds like my type of girl.

Please , please , please post a photo of your face 20 seconds after you’ve sampled the sweet , fruity taste of the Carolina Reaper.

Fucken awesome name . Pretty sure you’ll be living under a culvert down on Thirroul beach if you try to feed one to any other member of your family. But imagine the yucks !

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:00pm

Haha, yeah right!

And great to see Blowin!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:08pm

lol, the Carolina reaper. My bro's best mate lost his father, but before his passing, he made a chilli, for which he was famed. We sampled fractions of a thumbnail some months after the pain of his passing, and the event suddenly became both hilarious and pure agony. Damn that stuff was hot.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:09pm

Sometimes my wife and i go to this ramen place that does a ramen called "jigoku no ramen" (ramen from hell). There's three levels and the only way to distiguish is by the amount of cha sui you get. One slice- level one, two slices.,.

Anyway, it comes out and it's an evil looking red colour. I'm pretty good with heat and i do level two. I'm too scared to try level three. Just one sip of the soup and i react instantly, start hiccupping, nose starts running, eyes watering etc. Jeez it's hard work but delicious.

Next morning you get a painful reminder that you ate ramen from hell. It's so powerful, even your piss burns. I thought i had a bladder infection the first time!

I usually eat it annually, when i'm feeling masochistic.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:15pm

good reminder not to go take a piss when you are handling hot chillies.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:17pm

Isn’t it strange how you’re not allowed to grow a single mellow mull tree in your yard but there’s no issue with you growing chilli which would melt the face off one of your kid’s mates if they innocently consumed some on a dare ?

I’d be proud of having the raw potency of 2.3 million Scoville units on hand to dispense on a whim. Certainly puts a sinister slant on the innocuous invitation to a backyard barbie at Stu’s place. Bring the right beer and plenty of it or get your snags touched up with the Devil’s DNA.

P'tai's picture
P'tai's picture
P'tai Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 3:18pm

I aways put a couple of rolls of toilet paper in the freezer for such moments.......

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm

Scoville units, I learned something today.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 8:10pm

I pride myself on my reapers ,, the fruity smell is extremely deceptive .Have been growing them for years , mainly for a guy who makes sauce out of them.
Used surgical gloves to cut up a few dried ones for seed and weeks later made the mistake of handling the same knife and having a piss afterwards. tears later and much ice.....
Same goes for the eyes ,,
handle with care

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 8:14pm

hahahahah.....no feeling like it.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 30 Jan 2020 at 10:01pm

Sitting in a shallow bath of ice with the curtains drawn screaming for death to take you, yep .. can't beat it.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 31 Jan 2020 at 8:31am

We had a rep at work sign a waiver for a Flamin Ron chilli pie at Umina. (Is this the same as the Carolina Reaper mentioned above?)
He took it down to some of his Lebo customers who are always up for a challenge. Not one of them could finish a bite and it was eventually chucked into the garbo, largely untouched.

A couple of weeks later the rep returned to the yard to discover that the owners had come into work the next day and noticed something odd about their German Shephard guard dog. It had suddenly become very lethargic and had literally carpet bombed the area with dog turds. It never got the chance to sign the waiver.