Quotes, Proverbs, Axioms, Maxims, Adages, Sayings, Saws, Pensées, Epithets, Dictums, Aphorisms, Platitudes, Tenets, Mottos...

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Wednesday, 13 Mar 2019 at 7:09pm

“Whatever prevents you from doing your work has become your work.” - Albert Camus

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 24 May 2019 at 10:11pm

There are rants and then there are RANTS. This one from 1976.

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.

We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'

I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'"

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 1:24am

If one bird carried every grain of sand, grain by grain, across the ocean, by the time he got them all on the other side, that would only be the beginning of eternity.

Truman Capote.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:33pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:11am

You nailed that one , BB.

Re - Trump will be a tyrannical dictator who will subvert democracy ( BB - 2017 )

Trump colluded with Russia and he’s Putin’s puppet ( BB- 2017 )

Trump has us heading towards imminent nuclear war . 2 minutes to midnight.( BB -2017)

Trump has no intention of trying to recreate the manufacturing base for US workers ( BB - 2017)

Trump is a warmonger. The worst president ever ( BB 2017)

Trump will definitely be impeached . ( BB-2018 )

Massively increasing the population of Australia will have no negative effects on the environment. ( BB- 2019 )

The desire to reduce Immigration is racist ( BB - 2018 )

Etc etc

You get the picture.

“The real world is not as calm as it appears to be from here
The small world is not as strong and the testing ground is near
The old world is not as strong as the one we could have seen
The great south land can be as great as the one it could have been
The one it could have been“

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:34am

I've got a funny feeling they aren't direct BB quotes, Blowie.

“Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?”

Strawman, Wizard of Oz

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:33pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 11:15am

“Own your shit “

Graffiti on toilet wall at Biiggenden Hotel

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 11:26am

Facto - sad thing is that they are.

That’s just the tip of the Blindboy bullshit iceberg. It’s all here in black and white if you care to look. How can someone be so regularly and obviously and provably wrong , still believe that it’s every one else who’s incorrect ?

Direct result of decades of standing in front of gormless , hormone addled teenagers , reading rote facts and feeling like the smartest person in the room.

You can defend him if you like , but the question remains.....Why would you ? He’s constantly wrong , mislead , deluded and very vocal about it.

Not to fear .....he’ll just move on to his next fallacious claim with the same sanctimonious vigour.

Feel free to hitch yourself to his wagon. Gravity won’t complain about the extra weight as he leads you both over the cliff .

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 5:31pm

Um, Blowie, I've cut and pasted those 'direct quotes' and they brought nothing up in Google. Nothing.

Well, from BB.

Just you pop up obviously.

So they're not direct quotes at all. As I thought.

Which doesn't look real good.

I'm sure BB will let you know that, Blowie.

In no uncertain terms.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 5:38pm

They might not be direct quotes but they were certainly the gist of those threads.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 6:58pm

Facto - If Blindboy had an inch of traction he would have revved up the self righteous machine to full sanctimony by now.

Obviously he doesn’t. After years of fear mongering and finger pointing , it turns out that after this whole time , the source of the infamous Fake News is ....himself.

And you’re acting like the haemorrhoid hanging off the BB arsehole. Even the arsehole is wondering what you get out of the relationship.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 26 May 2019 at 4:13am

I know the PM just got elected through pretty much bulllshit, but do we need to tolerate the same on here?

You're fulla shit, Blowie.

Ad nauseam. Ad infinitum.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 26 May 2019 at 7:08pm

How good is Australia?

wallpaper's picture
wallpaper's picture
wallpaper Sunday, 26 May 2019 at 8:00pm

it's a fucking nightmare. by rights that bloke should have had that lump of coal rammed up his arse last week, but games were played and now we all will pay.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 27 May 2019 at 9:24am

'That bloke' (Bill Shorten?) did have that lump of coal inserted, wallpaper. The Australian voters overwhelmingly told him to stick his climate change hysteria where the sun don't shine.

Ralph's picture
Ralph's picture
Ralph Monday, 27 May 2019 at 9:30am

I read an article that pointed out that if you take Queensland out of the equation Shorten would've got across the line.

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Monday, 27 May 2019 at 10:00am

Having an agenda to address current and future man made climate change is not hysterical.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 27 May 2019 at 10:11am
Ralph's picture
Ralph's picture
Ralph Monday, 27 May 2019 at 12:32pm

D-Rex. I haven't checked the numbers but what the article was saying was that in Qld the coalition won 23 and labor won 6. So if you excluded Qld from the election then the coalition would have had 55 and labor would have had 61.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 4:31pm

"Three things cannot be long hidden: The Sun, The Moon and The Truth."

- Buddha

...and the comments on the Politico threads from the front page?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 6:19am

Yep, Politico threads have been removed from the front page.

Totally happy for you guys to nut it out in these threads, but TBH we've been getting pretty tired of the front page displaying a revolving door of political commentary (via the 'In The Forums' latest comments). The Politico forum attracts a tiny percentage of our users, but over the last year or so, has seemingly occupied a permenant position on the homepage. I was hoping it'd abate post-election but the reverse seems to have occured. 

We're a surfing site, and would much prefer to promote a broader spread of discussions around more relevant topics. Like surfing. Or waves. Or surfboards. Or surf travel. Or something kinda related to surfing. 

We are planning a big makeover of the entire Forums section (a general look n' feel, plus some new functionality), but in the meantime this is a short term measure designed to improve the aesthetics of the front page.

Hope y'all understand. 

Thanks.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 10:15am

It'll be interesting how the engagement goes. The Politico 'What's What?' thread for example has over 9000 comments!

Political interest and engagement or just interest in engagement?

I'm guessing the second. Taking it off the front page will provide an answer.

Watch out for 'engagement' though, simply transposed to the surfing stuff. Already happened.

"Be alert, not alarmed!"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 30 May 2019 at 12:47pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 3 Jun 2019 at 12:58pm

"Blowie, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it."

George Costanza

jános's picture
jános's picture
jános Thursday, 6 Jun 2019 at 7:50am

@thermalben ...and I'm so glad you did. I was about to cancel my subscription and leave Swellnet primarily because of that and in particular because of Blowin's continual playing the man under the guise of playing the ball.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 6 Jun 2019 at 6:02pm

Maybe you should have participated, Janos ?

I only ever give it to people who’ve asked for it , mate. I’m a very fair person generally.

You might be able to swallow more shit than I can though ? Everyone’s different.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 1:11pm

“One of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy … is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. It is an exercise which always involves a certain number of internal contradictions and even a few absurdities. The conspicuously wealthy turn up urging the character-building value of privation for the poor.”

The economist John Kenneth Galbraith.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 1:20pm

“ Those who can do, those who can’t teach. “

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 9 Jun 2019 at 1:57pm

“Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.”

Aristotle

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 17 Jun 2019 at 1:25pm

“I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it calls itself my home, my fatherland, or my church, and I will try to express myself in some mode of life as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use: silence, exile, and cunning.”

James Joyce (Stephen Dedalus in The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man)

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Monday, 17 Jun 2019 at 1:48pm

facto, I spent a bit of time at sandycove last year, visited the Joyce Museum in the Martello Tower and walked along the strand. It was a really strange feeling to walk around and remember that first section of Ulysses. It was October, but so warm people were sun bathing and swimming in the cove.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 18 Jun 2019 at 12:26pm

"They who put out the people's eyes, reproach them of their blindness."

John Milton.

17th Century problems?!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 4 Aug 2019 at 5:09pm

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number–
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you–
Ye are many — they are few.

Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792 – 1822)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 Nov 2019 at 7:35am

"You're the reason shampoo bottles have instructions on them"
-Donald Trump.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 4 Nov 2019 at 4:14pm

Seppo bumper sticker:

"Pray for Trump. Psalm 109:8"

Ralph's picture
Ralph's picture
Ralph Sunday, 1 Mar 2020 at 12:36pm

"If you don't like our policies, don't vote for us"

Chris Bowen (LOL)

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Tuesday, 10 Mar 2020 at 3:34pm

“Delusions are lies that tell the truth”.