Vaccinate or not

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak started the topic in Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020 at 6:20pm

I was a little shocked at Alan Joyce (CEO Qantas) announcement that international travelers will be required to have a covid 19 vaccination in order to travel on Qantas flights . The government wanted to have mandatory vaccination but after the bumbling of its release ( it was painful to watch the delivery of that announcement ) they withdrew the mandatory part but it seems Qantas and other business may demand a vaccination in order to use their services. I’m not anti vaccine by any means I just don’t trust this government or a vaccine that has been rushed through. A jab followed by another jab followed by yearly jabs doesn’t sit well with me as I have never had a flu shot or the flu for more than 20 years. Plus I don’t want to give this shot to my healthy 4 year old daughter. She is up to date with all her vaccinations but this covid vaccine is new and not being around for decades like the others. Tuberculosis remains the number one as far diseases go and you don’t need proof of vaccination to travel so what is going on ?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 10:20am

"The Atlantic can’t help but flout it’s home spun amazing technicolor shit coat of perverted ideology paraded as fact, even as it attempts to rationalise its own reckless stupidity.

“We didn’t dare look for fear of being blinded by Trump’s toxic racism and xenophobia!”

Nothing they say beyond those words bares being heard."

reckless stupidity indeed

it's these wastes of oxygen that have become 'dangerous' and 'problematic', orders of magnitude more than any language they police...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 10:09am

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 10:20am

Now this is newsworthy C99-FBD3-B-BB2-A-4-A49-8798-34-B32-EED2846

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 1:53pm

So what’s stopping Federal government purchasing this ? Plus state government already owns some camps in port hedland which also has international airport and a fairly new hospital . I can hear people screaming the rooms are too small and I agree but locking down whole cities is not the answer. https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/regional/former-bhp-mine-workers-camp-i...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 3:23pm

Tucker tends to go over the top and I’m not a huge fan , only sharing this link as all the players get a mention in this even zero hedge , lve got a feeling though that Fauci is going to come out the other side squeeky clean as Biden’s press secretary has stated Fauci won’t be getting fired.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 3:46pm

Pity my lab leak thread turned into a shit show and got closed, more relevant than ever now..

Yeah Fauci has taken every different stance on every aspect it's crazy.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 4:20pm

@indo , you could start another thread , this shit show isn’t going anywhere for awhile , biden has given them 90 days to come up with some answers about origin

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 5:55pm

"@indo , you could start another thread , this shit show isn’t going anywhere for awhile , biden has given them 90 days to come up with some answers about origin"

this 90 day thing from biden is so funny, he literally made this announcement just hours after CNN ran a story criticising him for shutting down an investigation that was already running, an investigation that wasn't getting the results he wanted... you've really gotta wonder how much thought when into his little desperate 90 day investigation, I'm guessing it was about 15 minutes, and was totally reactive to the CNN story and developing shitstorm...

can't wait to see what china has on biden... though we've probably seen most of it on the dark corners of the net... be classic if it goes mainstream...

I actually think the conservatives going hard after faucci are a bit pathetic... yeh he's a liar, and complicit as fuck, and should go down... but he was in a difficult role, where there's always a public and private narrative, and conservatives are playing way too much gotcha reading too much into his emails...

their never ending libertarian ideological mask argument is tedious to say the least

the real villian is that peter daszak cunt, and the scientists that mislead the public supporting him, which includes faucci... but...

and the media... if they aren't intentional villians, then they are complicit through gross incompetence beyond belief, and ideological patheticness that made them totally ineffective in their roles, the compliance and conformity, the whole mass deception achieved, is totally beyond belief...

how can no one in the liberal media have not raised the glaring conflict of interest of some of these dog scientists?

how can so many scientists have not raised it sooner?

the whole peer reviewed journal system is now in tatters

the corruption of process at every level and institution is out of this world

the science community think they had public confidence problem before... (they did) ...well it's all looking rather justified now... the climate change debate is just about cooked now, good luck pushing any contentious science issue at all in the near future, the ramifications of this are going to be huge!

and the real hero? ...is the chinese translator trailblazer dude that doggedly kept pushing along... must be a white supremecist...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 5:56pm

and all that is before we even know the conclusive truth...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 6:10pm

and, it seems zerohedge may have been right on the money all along...

oh the irony!

from the vanity fair article re. biological weapons...

"...inside the WIV, military and civilian researchers are “doing animal research in the same fricking space.”

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 6:16pm

Yep , nearly everyone was manipulated in to believing the lancet simply because it was the lancet , twice now they have bullshitted to the public and media . When I did the recent Australian ABC survey , science & scientists were actually the most trusted source of information above anything else . I don’t know what biden expects his intelligence departments to find that they don’t already know , 90 days is probably the time he’s giving his script writer’s to come up with a good story to sell to the public. Maybe the Russian’s are behind it all ? Now there’s a conspiracy theory.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm

To be fair to other scientists though , anyone that didn’t go along with what was being originally said was crucified by the media. Fear from speaking out by doctors and scientists throughout this pandemic has been a recurring theme.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 1:16am

Maybe the Russians are behind it all...
Like some BSL4 Lab Exploding Pathogens infecting 10,000's with all manner of virus.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/global-health/2019/09/19/TELEMMG...
Ok! So maybe that did happen but no one would've recorded it...
"Oh No!...please tbb...don't involve us Aussies again...can ya just keep us outta this, C'mon!"
tbb: We're gonna die...aren't we...Yep! Global Biosecurity were all over it!
https://jglobalbiosecurity.com/articles/10.31646/gbio.85/
Double link as one has Wuhan links that aren't censored (See timeline)
https://jglobalbiosecurity.com/articles/85/print/#21

tbb feels we're reading more but knowing less each day about Origin..
Just gonna rollout all options so crew can mix'n'match until it makes sense...which it won't.
Pretty sure you'll find all of this matters but is either buried or censored.

2nd Aug US Fort D' Military lab shutdown (After US finish Covid Spike Trials)
4th Sept Gates funds Biontech mRNA HIV > soon after an mRNA HIV Trial is aborted.
16th Sept Russian Lab Explosion...10,000's regional folk gasping for air.
18th Sept Wuhan Games trial > Masks / Seat Covers > Games Site Evacuation & 100% Deprivation
18th Oct Wuhan Games Empty streets / Masks / Heat Guns on 1,100 / Outbreaks of Nations > 500+
Esper dodges the Question...say's What Games? (Play last Question on Vid!)
https://www.c-span.org/video/?471201-1/defense-secretary-esper-general-m...
China/US Military were already framing their case thru October Games.(re: end of Nov warnings)
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1183658.shtml
17th Nov 2019 Hubei Man 55 was 1st local case.
https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html
Locals ramp Wechat searches for Corona & SARS (Possibly from Russian Lab > Games Outbreaks)
(Important to note): Locals would've known of Games Evacuation & Airport Masks / Heat Guns!
Chinese Health officials (recap) reporting 1-5 cases / day thru this period
22nd Nov Huang from Xiangyang was 1st from Russian Lab fallout > in Wuhan.
https://www.sohu.com/a/355347300_120424456
23rd Nov WIV lab Workers 3x Wuhan Flu .
CAS inform partners CSIRO that their Wuhan Coronavirus Outbreak finally caught on.
https://medium.com/@narelleford/wednesday-post-da60561dfa40
Nov 2019 -NCMI US "Warn" Israel / NATO of Contagion sweeping thru Wuhan Region."
"Cataclysmic event" (Listen to Esper Dodge it again) Report takes weeks to present > re: October!)
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/intelligence-report-warned-coronavirus-c...

1st Dec Alzheimers man in 70's (1st "Official" Coronavirus Label )
10th Dec (Was Case # 29) ( Now #32) 57 y/o Shrimp Lady (First of Wet Market outbreak)

Note: Note Chinese Lockdown so VIP MSM Drone Vids can better frame Ghost town Shots!
Now think about MSM saying they were locked out? Also happened thru 2021 visit VIP MSM shots.
Gonna skip the he said / she said period to this obvious Pie in the Face.
20/21st Jan 2020 - WHO / WIV Full Tour Vid "Mid Chinese Outbreak"... that everyone ignores. Why?
https://www.who.int/china/news/detail/22-01-2020-field-visit-wuhan-china...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8236215/Rare-footage-shows-Chin...

Was being brainwashed into thinking none of this happened...so shared it before it was censored.
Not joking as Scientists swear these same links are being censored...It's real alright!

No Lab Virus Origin (Censored)
No Daily Vax Rollout beginning from 8th Dec - 10th Jan.(Censored)
No Post Vax Efficacy Case testing by Law (Censored)
Only unvaxed testing forever by Law.
Only Digitised Entry by Law.

Get the picture folks ...Science has been banned by (GOF / WHO / CDC / NHS / Lancet & co!)
People don't wanna Vax as they feel complicit in these bully's evil experiments.
So now the innocents are branded killers for refusing an injection of Darkside poison.
All wish it were different and all wish these Pandemic profiteers were locked up.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 1:14pm

It seems Fauci was very good at predicting the current pandemic, for someone that was so certain of it happening and the position he held ,you would think the US would have been better prepared . For all it’s wealth and scientific knowledge the US got flogged more than any other country. Is the initial response all Trumps fault ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 3:18pm

I had to laugh with this video, i do love it how Joe Rogan just says it how he see's it and then the other guy is being much more careful not to get himself in trouble.

I actually agree with both of them.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 6:37pm

A lot of people bag this senator but at least he’s trying to do something about labs in the US that are still doing this type of research , I can’t imagine what the military labs around the world have got brewing.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 8:38pm

WHO's Big Fat Greek Covid Menu > (Mains) VOC + (Sides) VOI
https://www.who.int/en/activities/tracking-SARS-CoV-2-variants/

Main Menu : UK - Alpha / SA - Beta / Brazil - Gamma / India - Delta
Side Menu : US - Epsilon / Brazil - Zeta / World - Eta / Philippines - Theta / US - Iota / India - Kappa

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Sunday, 6 Jun 2021 at 11:43pm

Been following this thread for a while and thanks to all with their views and the links provided.Like everyone I want this shit to end.I've done 2 quarantines,14 days in Perth and recently 5 days in Jakarta and I don't want to do it again.I am a natural cynic and not trusting of any government or authority and it pains me to say , but I will take vaccine soon if it means a return to freedom of movement for all.Sitting in quarantine is fucked ,to put it mildly.Spoken to plenty here ,Indonesian and Bule that have had 2 jabs no worries they reckon.Love ya work Supafreak , great comments and links.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 6:44am

Got the 1st Pfizer vaccine shot on Saturday morning (mid-40s, QLD).

No side-effects at all.

It was very easy to organise: just book a time-slot at https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/health-alerts/coronavirus-covid....

If getting vaccinated will go a long way towards opening up international travel and enabling life to go back to normal, then I think everyone should unhook from the mess online and just get vaccinated.

I'd do anything to go overseas again.

It's time for this bullshit to end and for the world to move on.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 10:23am

You on Scomo's marketing team gsco? Of all of that garbage, your last line was the only thing that made sense (in isolation).

'if getting vaccinated...'. WTF. Come on show us your airline ticket then...? Exactly, you getting vaccinated means Scomo is getting closer to hitting his numbers and you are now an on-going source of health cost to the community and income to big pharma. Well done!!

In your defence, you have done what you are told by excessive propaganda and coercion by govt, big corporations, celebrities and the media, so its easy to get swept up in the hype.

Good luck.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 11:15am

The counter argument to anyone on here thinking that the vaccine will get you travelling again is the simple fact that airline travel at ~30,000 feet puts you at a higher risk of blood clotting. And what is a major risk form the vaccine....? Blood clotting... So now compound the two...??

So do you really think airline travel is looking better or worse for you if you take the jab?

There's been 1 death from COVID Jan-May and 210 deaths from the vaccines with 22,031 reported adverse reactions in Australia... Sure they'll tell you whoever died had underlying health issues but they did their best to keep that bit quiet when is ppl supposedly dying from COVID had underlying health problems.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 11:24am

I'm getting the jab because I'm a risk taker, baby.

No other reason, just wanna get my jollies.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 12:07pm

@shortenism

I've basically had every vaccine under the sun due to many surf trips to third world countries over couple of decades, so another vaccination for a variant of the common cold (of which covid is just another new strain of) makes no difference to me.

I went for a (longboard) wave Saturday afternoon, Sunday and this morning...

I don't see what the big deal is.

I also don't see what all this has to do with Scomo.

I think there is a very good chance that if the overwhelming majority of the world's population is vaccinated, then all of this madness and hysteria will blow over and life will largely return to normal, including international travel. I'm not sure how you could disagree with that.

You said:
> you are now an on-going source of health cost to the community
I don't see what you're talking about here.

You also said:
> and income to big pharma
I work in finance and part of that involves assessing company profitability. If you look at Pfizer's share price, you might find it surprising that it hasn't done anything out of the ordinary of late. The reason for this is that margins on vaccines for these companies are very fine - vaccines are not very (if at all) profitable for them...

You also said:
> And what is a major risk form the vaccine....? Blood clotting...
Are you sure you're not getting mixed up between the AstraZeneca (which has a risk of clotting) and Pfizer vaccines (which I had and seems quite safe).

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 12:49pm

@gsco, I've had a few myself but non, which are in experimental phases especially for a variant of a common cold as you put it.

On balance, the risk outweighs the benefit. Or pls show me otherwise?

Unless of course you seek international travel so bad and having it is genuinely going to give you this exclusive benefit and the benefit for you outweighs the risk. I can't see the benefit resulting myself. Any plane tickets yet?

Being in finance, you'll appreciate the term 'loss leader'. Being an on-going cost to the community is about your on-going boosters and potentially problems, which you (and anyone else) may or may not be aware of. Once you are on the big pharma wheel, its hard to get off as solving one problem typically leads to many others. Seen gramps's pill container lately.. Its like a tackle box.

One can only assume for example that the airlines will want to know you are vaccinated now equally for risk management. Will you also be required to show evidence you've had some kind of thinning agent to fly? A good question for your GP perhaps.

Pfizer has also had clotting issues. 'Seems safe' doesn't cut it under the circumstances.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 1:53pm

You seem balls deep in the world of full blown conspiracy theory stuff mate

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:01pm
stunet wrote:

I'm getting the jab because I'm a risk taker, baby.

No other reason, just wanna get my jollies.

. @stunet does it hurt when you laugh ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:02pm

Laughing is OK now.

Hiccups are blinding pain.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:35pm

The Pfizer vaccines aren’t profitable?

Sure.....the most widely prescribed and in demand product in the world isn’t making them any money. Lol.

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/features/pfizer-covid-19-vacci...

Pfizer share price bottomed out in early Covid panic at about $27. It’s now sitting around $40. That around a 45 percent increase in a bit longer than a year. Remind me again which financial institution you work for so I can avoid it like a blood clot.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:29pm

Don't sneeze.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:31pm
stunet wrote:

Laughing is OK now.

Hiccups are blinding pain.

Ive had sore ribs before not broken and get hay fever, sometimes I can’t stop sneezing, 25 in a row is my record , killed me when ribs were sore .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:35pm

Remember when Rodney Rude’s grandfather went to the Doctor and told him that every time he sneezed he had an orgasm?

The Doctor asked what he was taking for it.

“Black pepper” said Grandpa Rude.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 2:40pm

@blowin , have to agree with you , Pfizer didn’t want government funding in seeking a vaccine so they couldn’t be dictated too . With booster shots likely they can charge what they want and now are more popular than AZ . Interesting is the major stakeholder in moderna is the NIH so pushing vaccines over treatments is in their interest .

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:33pm

blowin - the ultimate twister of facts...

> Pfizer share price bottomed out in early Covid panic at about $27. It’s now sitting around $40. That around a 45 percent increase in a bit longer than a year.
Might want to compare this to the broader market's performance mate... S&P500 went from 2300 to 4230 for a return of 84%...

And the article is talking about revenue not profits, and indeed says:

"When comparing the success of leading Covid-19 vaccine makers, it’s important to note that while Pfizer and BioNTech are providing their jabs at profit, not all companies are. The Pfizer-BioNTech jab is priced at $39 for two doses, whereas AstraZeneca, which is supplying vaccines on a not-for-profit basis, charges between $4.30 and $10 for both shots."

so they're even being given as "charity" at a loss... These vaccines are actually barely profitable. Might want to actually read some financial statements on that one mate...

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:18pm

"On balance, the risk outweighs the benefit."
Shortenism I'd love to see your risk assessment skills once this virus becomes endemic and arrives at a destination near you.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:26pm

@gsco, which parts are conspiracy theories?

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:34pm

Ah the fear @garyg...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:37pm

No, bloke. If you read your own quote it states that the Pfizer jab is at profit, irrespective of whatever AZ is doing. That’s PROFIT bloke.

In a similar vein it doesn’t matter a tinker’s cuss what the S and P is doing in relation to Pfizer. The S and P is an aggregate, an average of all companies. It has zero bearing or relevancy to the prospects of individual companies. There’s plenty of companies which have gone belly up since the Covid panic. Pfizer, on the other hand, is up 45 percent in that time.

Face it bloke, you’re talking dung and trying to disguise it by heaping on more dung.

Pfizer is making lots of money off the vaccine. That is the fact.

Keep assessing bloke. You’ll get there one day.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:52pm

the irony in conspiracy nuts using "fear" as a sledge when classic personality traits of conspiracy nuts is the fear of loss of control and an inability to handle fear in itself is amusing to me.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 3:54pm

Maybe I need to spell it out a bit clearer…

Pfizer’s share performance has badly lagged the market average over the period, indicating that the company has done nothing special profit-wise relative to other companies.

If you look into it you’ll see that the profit Pfizer makes from the covid vaccine is nothing to write home about, and this is reflected in its lagging share price performance relative to the overall market.

Pfizer is not making a lot of money (profit) from the vaccine nor is it expected to going forwards (if it was its share price would have spiked relative to the market).

Some companies are even providing vaccines at no profit at all.

The “big pharm profit” conspiracy theory argument has no leg to stand on…

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm

Indeed, due to the nature of my work, when there started to be talk of a Pfizer vaccine I had a lot of people come and ask me if they should invest in Pfizer. My response was I'm not sure because there typically isn't a lot of profit in vaccines like this.

Then I've had a lot of people come to me asking why Pfizer's share price didn't go crazy since its vaccine has basically been the one that has "won out" over the others. My response was the same: there isn't a relatively large amount of profit in these vaccines...

And I was watching an investment podcast thing the other night a few weeks ago where the guests speakers were discussing the same thing.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:19pm

No, you spelled out your opinion clearly. It’s wrong is all.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:29pm

It's good to read that a few people here have already had the jab, kind of gives you some hope.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:33pm

(btw none of the above is to be constituted as investment advice. I have no opinion about whether to invest in Pfizer or not.)

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:48pm

Ah gsco, I wouldn't waste your breath mate. Nuance is irrelevant, figures should be cherry picked and the prevailing economic conditions ignored. All shall be sacrificed for the narrative!

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 4:50pm

@gsco , is 20-30 % a good profit margin ? I’m definitely not up on markets and stuff , wouldn’t have a clue to be honest. What I do know though is when companies like Leightons and McMahon bid on BHP and RIO projects they usually because the competition is so tough , aim for a profit of about 6% , hardly seems worth it eh and most projects I worked on lost money. So 20 - 30 % profit seems pretty good. The reason I can see people being shy of investing is , pig pharma has a bad reputation of being fined billions of dollars so there is risk in investing in a new vaccine. Even though they have a indemnity, they can still be found guilty and fined for shonky behaviour which most pig pharma companies have done in the past . https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/business/pfizer-covid-vaccine-profits...

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 5:02pm

Nice article supafreak, thanks for the link. I think your question is a bit general to answer meaningfully. I like the article's quote:

"Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca both vowed to sell their vaccines on a nonprofit basis during the pandemic. Moderna, which has never made a profit and has no other products on the market, decided to sell its vaccine at a profit.

Unlike Moderna’s vaccine, Pfizer’s shot is not crucial to the company’s bottom line."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 5:36pm

That enough nuance for you JQ?

Or you love a pile on? Just a hyena who’ll slink back into the shadows now it seems the prey isn’t going to fall from its wounds.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 5:32pm

Not bad money for these guys considering its only got one product. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/09/new-vaccine-billionaires-gain-wealth... Well done NIAID. The Moderna COVID‑19 vaccine, codenamed mRNA-1273, is a COVID-19 vaccine developed by Moderna, the United States National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA). It is used in people aged 18 years and older to provide protection against infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19.[31][32] It is designed to be administered as two 0.5 mL doses given by intramuscular injection at an interval of four weeks apart.[33]

It is an RNA vaccine composed of nucleoside-modified mRNA (modRNA) encoding a spike protein of SARS-CoV-2, which is encapsulated in lipid nanoparticles.

The Moderna COVID‑19 vaccine is authorized for use at some level in 45 countries including the United States, Canada, the European Union, the United Kingdom, Israel, and Singapore.[34]
In March 2020, in a White House meeting between the Trump administration and pharmaceutical executives, Bancel told the president Moderna could have a COVID-19 vaccine ready in a few months.[10] The next day, the FDA approved clinical trials for the Moderna vaccine candidate, with Moderna later receiving investment of $483 million from Operation Warp Speed.[10] Moderna board member, Moncef Slaoui, was appointed head scientist for the Operation Warp Speed project.[10]. As of November 2020, Moderna planned to sell the vaccine for $32-37 per dose.[36] No conspiracy needed

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm

Interesting comment about the Pfizer covid vaccine pricing and margins in the Pfizer earnings call linked from one on the above articles:

"Let me talk about kind of how the current margins work, and then I'll pivot to how they can work going forward. So in terms of the current margins, I always start with, we're in a pandemic pricing environment. So the one price that we published is the price with the U.S. of $19.50 per dose. Obviously, that's not a normal price like we typically get for a vaccine, $150, $175 per dose. So pandemic pricing."

So they are significantly underpricing the vaccine per unit compared to normal times and it seems that a "high 20s" margin is relatively tight in this context...

No big pharma conspiracy that I can see...

Seems like they're also providing somewhat of a charity to the world.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 7 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm

gsco , yeah some profits are outrageous for vaccines TB vaccine which is nearly useless now due to mutations was 17 cents to make it in india , in the US it was $200 , the US unlike Australia never rolled it out decades ago . I forget the drugs name but the treatment for HEP C was originally $100,000 until it was later distributed for $1000 by india , not sure what it is now , bit off subject but the margins are surely what it costs to make the drug once they get back the original investment , is that right ?