Do you like or hate Donald Trump, and why?

dimitrios10's picture
dimitrios10 started the topic in Tuesday, 29 May 2018 at 5:10pm

I am curious if you guys like DonaldTrump, or do you hate him?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:02pm

Blowin I would go for the obvious with the pipe bombs, that being some fool, stirred up by Trump's reckless invective, decided that violence was the solution.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm

Obvious?

My first thoughts were subterfuge to create sympathy for the Dems.

Al least ten bombs mailed, not a single one ignited.

That's some serious backyard shit...or it's deliberate.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:44pm

great word (I had to Google it). I think that whoever did it was sick and twisted about something & so it has achieved the goal of inflaming partisanship.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:46pm

and in that case it could as just as well be from a non-partisan player outside the country who wants to see all Americans in panic.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:54pm

Ha, when the choice is a conspiracy or a stuff up always go for the stuff up. Conspiracies are for the tin foil hatters amongst us. Very high probability it was some of Trump's good ole boys.

I love the good ole boys

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm

I don't rule that out Stu. I just think it is less likely than a rogue Trump supporter who has taken his tweets too seriously. Assuming that the bombs were all the same design, if one didn't work chances were none would.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 4:04pm

What about the March , Stu ?

Nice coincidence.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 4:11pm

Could be. It seems to be getting a lot of airplay.

But I'm really not inclined to say one side or the other, just that anything's possible.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 4:37pm

"Assuming that the bombs were all the same design, if one didn't work chances were none would."

Ted Kaczynski would disagree.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 4:42pm

True Stu, but I am sticking with Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is the most likely.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 5:00pm

Perfectly legal to buy Pipebombs in U.S. also Suicide Jackets & soon Molotov Cocktails
After signing paperwork and very short cooling off period if not the same day...
They'll package your complete Pipe Bomb thru the Mail + your free packet of powder.

If by chance they should make lots of mistakes on every one of your Address Labels.
US POST may just deliver your Bombs to Imaginary People with pretend Addresses.
Possibly maybe scare the shit out of... A listers/media moguls/political leaders...Not nice!

This is going nowhere fast as 1st amendment untouchable trolls are the new easy riders.
Fuck all that sissy online kiddie shit... trolling!
Hey kidz check out this massive old school "Off Grid Troll". USA! USA! USA!
Mock Isis claim comes complete with legal USA Suicide Vest, middle finger salute & virgins!
Duck and cover!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 5:02pm

That and the alternative would be unpalatable for you to consider.

Easier to blame the violence that Trump has incited with his unprecedented language ....

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 5:21pm

Anotherway of looking at this...
Baton Grenades are also legal to sell and post thru US mail.
Homemade Pipebomb is easily argued as restoring an unfinished baton grenade.
Eitherway your just protecting your family. No! You can't make this shit up!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 6:38pm

Seen this bit of posting by an author-of-sorts, Adam-Troy Castro, that's gone viral?

"Another anguished post from a Trump supporter: "Why do liberals think Trump supporters are stupid?"

The serious answer.

Sigh; we do sometimes fall into that rhetorical trap, out of frustration, but if we were to be 100% honest with you we would admit that we find quite a few people on our own side stupid as well, mostly people who have boiled all the complicated issues into slogans and really don't comprehend what they're saying. I think you guys probably look at the dumber of your compatriots and think, "Jesus, this guy's barely rubbing his brain cells together, but at least he can wave a sign."

No, this is what we really think about Trump supporters, the rich, the poor, the malignant and the innocently well-meaning, the ones who think and the ones who don't.

That when you saw a man who had owned a fraudulent University, intent on scamming poor people, you thought "Fine."

That when you saw a man who had made it his business practice to stiff his creditors, you said, "Okay."

That when you heard him proudly brag about his own history of sexual abuse, you said, "No problem."

That when he made up stories about seeing muslim-Americans in the thousands cheering the destruction of the World Trade Center, you said, "Not an issue."

That when you saw him brag that he could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue and you wouldn't care, you chirped, "He sure knows me."

That when you heard him illustrate his own character by telling that cute story about the elderly guest bleeding on the floor at his country club, the story about how he turned his back and how it was all an imposition on him, you said, "That's cool!"

That when you saw him mock the disabled, you thought it was the funniest thing you ever saw.

That when you heard him brag that he doesn't read books, you said, "Well, who has time?"

That when the Central Park Five were compensated as innocent men convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and he angrily said that they should still be in prison, you said, "That makes sense."

That when you heard him tell his supporters to beat up protesters and that he would hire attorneys, you thought, "Yes!"

That when you heard him tell one rally to confiscate a man's coat before throwing him out into the freezing cold, you said, "What a great guy!"

That you have watched the parade of neo-Nazis and white supremacists with whom he curries favor, while refusing to condemn outright Nazis, and you have said, "Thumbs up!"

That you hear him unable to talk to foreign dignitaries without insulting their countries and demanding that they praise his electoral win, you said, "That's the way I want my President to be."

That you have watched him remove expertise from all layers of government in favor of people who make money off of eliminating protections in the industries they're supposed to be regulating and you have said, "What a genius!"

That you have heard him continue to profit from his businesses, in part by leveraging his position as President, to the point of overcharging the Secret Service for space in the properties he owns, and you have said, "That's smart!"

That you have heard him say that it was difficult to help Puerto Rico because it was in the middle of water, big water, and you have said, "That makes sense."

That you have seen him start fights with every country from Canada to New Zealand while praising Russia and quote, "falling in love" with the dictator of North Korea, and you have said, "That's statesmanship!"

That you have witnessed all the thousand and one other manifestations of corruption and low moral character and outright animalistic rudeness and contempt for you, the working American voter, and you still show up grinning and wearing your MAGA hats and threatening to beat up anybody who says otherwise.

What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2018, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.

Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering."

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 6:41pm

There's always room for Jello!

I cried when they shot John Lennon
Tears ran down my spine
And I cried when I saw "JFK"
As if I'd lost a father of mine
But Malcom-X and Ice-T had it coming
They got what they asked for this time

[Chorus:]
So love me, love me, love me,
I'm a liberal

I go to pro-choice rallies
Recycle my cans and jars
I'll honk if you love the Dead
Hope those funny Grunge bands become stars
But don't talk about revolution
That's going a little bit too far

I'm a liberal

I cheered when Clinton was chosen
My faith in the system reborn
I'll do anything to save our schools
If my taxes ain't too much more
And I love Blacks and Gays and Latinos
As long as they don't move next door

I'm a liberal

Rush Limbaugh and the L.A.P.D.
Should all hang their heads in shame
I can't understand where they're at
Arsenio should set them straight
But if neighborhood watch doesn't know you
I hope the cops take your name

I'm a liberal

Yeah, I read the New Republican
Rolling Stone and Mother Jones too
If I vote it's a democrat
With a sensible economy view
But when it comes to terrorist Arabs
There is no one more red, white, and blue

I'm a liberal

Once I was young and had an attitude
Stickers covered the car I drove in
Even went on some direct actions
When there weren't rent-a-cops to be seen
Ah, but now I've grown older and wiser
And that's why I'm turning you in

I'm a liberal

(Phil Ochs would approve this message)

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:02pm

"That and the alternative would be unpalatable for you to consider.
Easier to blame the violence that Trump has incited with his unprecedented language"

Its beyond debate that the US has more than its fair share of fully armed/locked and loaded alt-right nut cases so all the more reason for its president to be moderate in his public pronouncements.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:05pm

Isn’t it amazing that all of the above can be absolutely true and people are still right to be glad that Hillary isn’t president ?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:11pm

Old mate is a small arms weapons instructor in the Australian military. He teaches recruits to fire guns from pistols to sub-machine guns and has represented the country at international military shooting events. While his politics are always are on the right don't get him started about Americans and their gun laws.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:11pm

Yeah but understand that Trump is just a demagogue that had a savvy campaign manager.

If Bannon hadn't clued him into the vein of unrest he wouldn't be POTUS.

Not like he's putting out a consistent message with those people.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:17pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:27pm

factotum, all that is fair comment but fails to get to the real issue of why people are prepared to support him. Your post demonstrates that it cannot have anything to do with rational thought, so it must be entirely emotional or arising from some deeper mythic-type level. The question then is what is it that draws people to him even when his behaviour offends some of their deeply held beliefs?

I am very far from sure that my view is correct but, for the moment, it runs something like this. In trying to improve social conditions and, ineffectively, limit the power of the military industrial complex Obama seriously pissed off its most powerful elements. They turned to breakthrough technologies that could be used to target individuals via social media. The company they formed to do this, Cambridge Analytica turned out to be more successful than they could ever have hoped. Most of the Republican candidates for the nomination would have been acceptable but when it became clear that Trump was in with a chance, well he was gift from the fucking gods, already off to the right of Genghis Khan and, just as a bonus, incredibly easily manipulated.

The most terrifying part of this is that it is just the beginning. This is the power of mass media raised by orders of magnitude. You no longer have to pick the issues that appeal to the majority, you just tell ever individual voter exactly what they want to hear via social media.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 7:48pm

Jesus , BB .

“They turned to breakthrough technologies that could be used to target individuals via social media. The company they formed to do this, Cambridge Analytica turned out to be more successful than they could ever have hoped. “

Talk about your mythical delusions.

5 minutes ago you were all about Occam’s razor and now you’re saying that it was Internet mind control that won the election for Trump.

Why can’t you accept people voting for Trump even though you think he’s not acting in their interests, but you easily accept that half of the USA voted for Hillary even though she has at least as much contempt for her supporters as Trump has ever had ?

What is the difference ?

Or workers in Australia voting for the ALP who just OKed the anti - worker TPP ?

People approximate who is working in their interests amongst the handful of useless pricks on offer . Closest illusion to their needs wins.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 8:03pm

A few quick things before I go home:

The real deal in the US is convincing people to actually vote.

Don't jump to conclusions and cliches about who Trump's (or Hanson's or UKIPs) voters really are.

They're not working-class by number.

Also, while I don't necessarily agree with that viral post in its entirety, these sentences I can wholly concur with.

"What you don't get, Trump supporters in 2018, is that succumbing to frustration and thinking of you as stupid may be wrong and unhelpful, but it's also...hear me...charitable.

Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering."

This gives a clue to the real nature of some of the white noise surrounding Trump, methinks.

Shalom.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 8:06pm

Blowin, Clinton may have had equal contempt for her voters but she has not repeatedly indulged in outrageous behaviour that clearly goes against their values. That is what requires explanation. Why people would vote for, and continue to support, someone whose behaviour should, according to their previous standards, grossly offend them.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 8:55pm

"...Why people would vote for, and continue to support, someone whose behaviour should, according to their previous standards, grossly offend them."

Simply.

Because Clinton is more offensive.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 9:06pm

"Blowin, Clinton may have had equal contempt for her voters but she has not repeatedly indulged in outrageous behaviour that clearly goes against their values."

You sure about that?

All clinton offered was more and more selling out of working class values, on top of an already established heap of selling out on the working classes, and their values (yes, possibly dubious values to some, but values nonetheless).

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 11:36pm

Whilst factobum is making sense for a minute...well jello is anyway...

I have to take you up on this...

"...Because if you're NOT stupid, we must turn to other explanations, and most of them are *less* flattering."

This gives a clue to the real nature of some of the white noise surrounding Trump, methinks"

Why not just come out and say it factobum? What you're really saying...

It clearly may be true to a point, but it's a very little point. A minute point of nutters actually.

And while your list of trump quotes may be true to a point as well. I'd say the number of people that fall into these two categories is actually quite small. Way way smaller than you lot are carrying on about.

This is closer to the mark...

"...Don't jump to conclusions and cliches about who Trump's (or Hanson's or UKIPs) voters really are.

They're not working-class by number."

Exactly. One article immediately post trump was spot on, its about white collar workers who could see their jobs disappearing just like blue collar workers had seen their jobs disappear to offshoring and automation. With no change in sight.

That's who got trump over the line. Not a bunch of nazis from bumfucksville.

There just aren't enough deplorables really. Trumps voters are a very wide cross section I reckon. Made up of all sorts of idiots, oddballs, and dissidents. And some normals too, all who could stomach the bullshit and corruption no more. Quite rational really given the state of play.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 11:38pm

"Yeah but understand that Trump is just a demagogue that had a savvy campaign manager.

If Bannon hadn't clued him into the vein of unrest he wouldn't be POTUS."

Dunno about the demogogue bit, but bannon yeh, so true.

But, you could just as easily argue, if Clinton had come remotely close to doing her job, by appealing to key states - traditional democrat states, he wouldn't be POTUS either.

Clinton failed at the basics while trump mined a miraacle.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:54am

1989 Ma & Pa Bush went to London for a Tea Party with the Queen.
One taste of a right royal cucumber sandwich & good ol' USA had blue blood in their veins.

Bush/Bush Jnr/Ma /Bro & Bro..Pretty much all ranch-hands...Presidents/Pollies all.
Mr & Mrs Clinton & daughter tipped to run in future presidential race v Trump's Daughter
Trump has his kidz run US Administration...
Mr Obama's wife Michelle is still favoured to topple president Trump
Ivanka v Chelsea v Bush's cat v Obama's Dog in fakebook presidential stareoff ...press like.

30 years on Kingdom USA has a wall, just needs a moat...Trump: "Make moats great again!"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 29 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm

Suck up, punch down. The character trait of the sons & daughters of Thatcher, Reagan, Howard, Hanson, Farage, Trump.

Me first & the gimme gimmes. The under-educated & over-mortgaged. Downward envying, forelock tuggers. The petty bourgeoisie.

As an idiot savant once said, "these are some bad hombres."

Which side are you on?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 6:54am

Sounds like they found the bloke.

https://www.gq.com/story/alleged-maga-bomber-cesar-sayoc-timeline

His Twitter account is enlightening too.

https://twitter.com/hardrock2016

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 7:55am

“Me first & the gimme gimmes. The under-educated & over-mortgaged. Downward envying, forelock tuggers. The petty bourgeoisie”

Well I voted One Nation and I’m literally none of those things. Back to the drawing board, mate.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 8:34am

Damn it was what is seemed not what it could have been, not half as interesting.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 9:23am

sypkan, a little challenge for you. factotum posted a list of the numerous ways in which Trump's behaviour has breached commonly held values. If you think Clinton was worse perhaps you could post a similarly specific list for her.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 9:27am

Just like Trump the truth is what you see in front of you

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:10pm

"sypkan, a little challenge for you. factotum posted a list of the numerous ways in which Trump's behaviour has breached commonly held values. If you think Clinton was worse perhaps you could post a similarly specific list for her."

Values are a slippery subject blindboy. I suspect your 'commonly held values' are quite different to the workng classes values I was referring to.

Values like honesty, loyalty, look after your own, don't knife your mate on the way ro the top.

Hilary blew them all on her way to the top. She even knifed her sisters protecting her hubby (or her career, it's not clear, I'd say the latter).

Then when she got to top she threw more sisters to the the wolves cosying up to saudi money. She threw workers to the wolves chasing her globalist agenda. She threw black people to the wolves with her neo liberalisation of the prison system. She threw any semblance of legitimacy to the wolves with her clinton foundation.

She's a woeful specimen of the ultimate career politician.

No credibility whatsoever.

For some people, actions speak louder than words. You seem to get caught up on words.

Trumps words are also woeful. However many people see trumps woeful words as a necessary means to cut through the bullshit lip service you love so much.

Hilary doesn't have a list, because she's a snide conniving covert professional. With a 'public position' and a 'private position' on everything that matters. Exactly what people are sick and tired of.

Trump's an ogre. But he's aa legitimate one.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 11:43am

Roid Republican bomb hoaxer with Destroy Democrats bongo billboard is a prime suspect ?
Republicans Judge stacking is likely to defend NRA right to mail pipebombs for Xmas Gifts.
Sissypants Democrats will argue their sick of pipebomb mobiles hanging in the nursery.

As much as Roid Republican begs for free shower & gym. US ain't gonna end arms mail race.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:28pm

"Values like honesty, loyalty, look after your own, don't knife your mate on the way ro the top."

Ha ha ha, you have to be kidding!

Honesty? Trump is a compulsive liar who wouldn't recognise the truth if it slapped him in the face.

Loyalty? Well certainly not to the numerous White House functionaries he has fired for no reason beyond their refusal to lie for him.

Look after your own? Who exactly would be Trump's own? He has no regard for anyone but himself

Don't knife your mate on the way to the top? The list of carcasses along Trump's road to the top would make Ted Bundy jealous.

"Values are a slippery subject blindboy. I suspect your 'commonly held values' are quite different to the workng classes values I was referring to."

So identity politics are OK when you find them convenient?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:43pm

“Me first & the gimme gimmes. The under-educated & over-mortgaged. Downward envying, forelock tuggers. The petty bourgeoisie”

Well I voted One Nation and I’m literally none of those things."

Ha ha, Blow In, says you!

You also said this:

"Australian politics bores me and US politics is bored + Temazepam."

Anyway, here's some pertinent "just saying" about the pipe bomber from our good ol' "Im not that political savy, but..."; "I don't follow it and I'm not that academic or savy with politics, but..."; "I'm not _ _ _ _ _ _, but...", the one but not only, Indo Dreamin':

"Damn it was what is seemed not what it could have been, not half as interesting."

Is this all part of the wider problem?

"Back to the drawing board, mate", indeed!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:52pm

nice work there facto.

good ole boys, dumb arses

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:56pm

You asked me about clinton, and you made it all about trump...again...

It's not about identity politics. It's simple mathematics. The democrat party needs their traditional base, the sooner they realise that the better.

I've gotta say two years on, and they're nowhere near that simple revelation.

They're all over the shop...still...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm

Sypkan, you seem really angry about the corporate Democrats and, of course, Hillary in particular. Like, really, really angry.

Having to prop up Trump wouldn't help your frustration levels either, I imagine.

Especially if you're not a true believer.

Lot of wild rage out there. Anger is an energy but impotent rage ain't healthy.

Maybe a nice drive down to the coast in your van, and a paddle, is the go, hey Sypkan?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:11pm

I'm not angry factobum, I'm bewildered, that the democrat party can still be so clueless as to what's going on.

It's not just hilary it's the whole liberal wing of the party. Lost and confused in a sea of corruption. They've just got to face it they fucked up.

"“You must bend the knee to us. Not the other way around. You have been proven as failures, and your entire world view has been discredited.” "

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/22/chapo-trap-house-podcast...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:13pm

"...John Mason, professor of political science at William Paterson University, says this counter-reaction has been building for a decade. “They are very anti-establishment, and believe neoliberalism as a doctrine has failed, and they want centrist Democrats to acknowledge that it was their failure that destroyed the working class and allowed this atrocity to take place in the White House.”

He adds: “It’s the feeling that the new liberal agenda resulted in a whole generation of young Americans being shafted, locked into a gig economy, loaded down with student debt and no access to healthcare. A reaction has been building against Democrat politicians of the 90s who tried to make a compromise with corporate capitalism and then defined liberalism around cultural issues of diversity, immigration, women’s rights and so on, while riding along with the shafting of the working class.”In a recent edition, Jezz In My Pants, Chapo hosts cited the success of Jeremy Corbyn’s social democratic platform in the UK as proof of the potency of “dirtbag” politics. “It’s the beginnings, or the contours, of something else, like a shaft of light.”"

Blob's picture
Blob's picture
Blob Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 4:35pm

Indo-dreaming

The term 'The Left' is, for me at least, a generalisation for the purposes of this discussion, so, even though calling it wrong about everything sounds absolute, that is also a generalisation.

I have a lot of admiration and sympathy for the part the Left played in the past in putting controls on unrestrained capitalism.
IN THE PAST.....and not without help from conservatives and Methodists and Catholics and others.

Many 'lefties' of the past are turning in their graves over what the Zombie Left of today has become IMHO.
Don't fall for the propaganda they peddle that says the left is all soft and cuddly.

The Left globally have been responsible for the greatest suffering and loss of life that, perhaps, the world has ever seen.
Half the world was repressed, imprisoned, starved or killed under leftist regimes of the last century.
....while democratic, free enterprise capitalism, at the same time, was responsible for the greatest increase in freedom and prosperity in history.
Not much of a contest is it?.

Why?

'The left are wrong about everything' is a trueism because the Left are wrong on fundamentals .....that causes them to inevitably go wrong on their downstream debacles.

One example,... fake compassion for 'refugees' resulted in a thousand skeletons laying on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.
It took duped voters a while to work out the left were fatally wrong on that.
The left said Abbott could not turn back the boats.
Wrong as always

Fundamentals..
Leftism is COLLECTIVIST.....individual freedoms must be sacrificed to the imperatives of the group.

Big government. Big bureaucracy. Big tax. Big control. People must be forced to think and act correctly.

Conservatism is INDIVIDUALIST....the primacy of the individual's freedom over unnecessary government control.
Free enterprise. Free markets. Free thought. Free speech. Freedom to succeed or fail.

So downstream .....rather than being human rights heroes the Left have evaporated human rights and prosperity everywhere from the USSR to North Korea to to Venezuela to our own backyard.
Bettina Arrndt cant talk at a university about the plight of men in looney left land without being persecuted by a leftist mob.
Any scientist or actor that objects to groupthink climate hysteria or open borders will find work is hard to get and McCarthyism is alive and well.
Communist China has succeeded right in line with ditching leftist economic practice for......capitalism.

To enforce collectivism you must control individual freedoms. The words we are free to say, the light bulb we are free to use, the size of the soft drink we can purchase.....the freedom to use your own money as you see fit.
Even this conversation would be punishable as hate speech in some leftie havens.
Our grandfathers and fathers died fighting communism and Facism because they are evil.
Now communists freely indoctrinate our children in their classrooms.

Free market democratic capitalism, on the other hand has lifted billions out of poverty and oppression.
The contrast is only invisible to those infected with leftism.

Leftism is UTOPIAN ....they feel they have the moral right to impose their naive path to a perfect world on others.
Unfortunately their misanthropic tendencies mean they are happy to tread on or even eliminate bothersome people to achieve their dream.
The left want to impose an equality of outcomes.
All they impose is thought control and equality of misery.
Downstream they eliminate protective borders and free speech, destroy the profit motive, kill millions by environmental scares (banning DDT) and want to scrap scienific reality for fashionable lies like gender ideology.
Will women be better off after their countries and their gender are scrapped?.
Are starving Venezualien women better off in their new socialist utopia?.
Conservatism is PRAGMATIC....the law of the jungle and the realities of human nature must be accounted for in public policy in the real world.
Bad guys exist.
Charity begins at home
The profit motive motivates
Money don't grow on trees
What you tolerate you educate.
Some people are lazy.
Letting economic immigrants from indigestible cultures overrun borders will destroy your society, culture and economy.

Leftism is GODLESS....the post modern contempt for capital T truth leaves a vacuum of meaning that makes all ideology a self serving political narrative.
Sanctioned Fake news is truth in a lefty utopia.
Conservatism values the wisdom of the ages and the contributions of religion.
All religion is true insomuch as it makes men happy and political ideology should also be judged on practical outcomes.
The left come out bad on outcomes.

We were at war with Leftist nations for a generation. We were at war with their ideology too,.
We have accommodated Marxism in unions and universities but even our limited economic socialism is actually paid for by our capitalism.
Our grandfathers and fathers died fighting the same communism that our children are now being freely indoctrinated in.

Justin Trudeau tweets : 'to those fleeing persecution, terror and war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength.

Donald Trump tweets: 'anybody entering the United States illegally will be arrested and detained, prior to being sent back to their country!.

Open borders or secure borders....who is right?

Camille Paglia recently called anti male second wave feminism a poison to society.
Leftist identity politics is poison.

Stunet says lefties are as compassionate as conservatives because although conservatives give much more all the extra charity they give through churches just doesn't count.

Blindboy says he thinks it is immoral to abort babies but we should be able to do it anyway.

Westofthelake and Co. have a perfect record of backing every losing horse that's running.

Wrongness with a capital wrong..

Ironically, Donald Trump is a creation of the left.
Without leftist overreach the average voter wouldn't need to turn to less than perfect populists.

So they are wrong on Trump.....twice.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:28pm

Factom you can mock me but the difference between people like you and me (apart from the fact i can stick to one profile identity)

Is i admit that I'm not political savy, i have no idea how to run a country, i have no idea about real situations in countries like the middle east etc or even USA I've never been to these places and spoken to the people and lived and breathed it.

Meanwhile people like you think you know it all, you can run a country better than any government, you know exactly what is happening in the USA or middle east or anywhere in the world because you read a few articles in the Guardian, SBS and ABC.

The funniest thing about this thread is how these far left wing people like yourself think you know who voted for trump and why they voted for Trump.

BTW.my comment was tongue in cheek, as i said in my post yesterday it's most likely exactly as it seems but still a chance it's not.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:35pm

Blob, answer my question, just a date will do. Don't try to avoid the issue, it destroys your credibility!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:49pm

Blob blob blob...

So much...

But I've got ask. Do you really think blind faith in free markets has worked over the last 30 years?

Australian electricity market?
Banking sectors in oz and uz? Globally?
Global real estate pyramid scheme?
Global manufacturing?
Health insurance?
Privatisation of essential services?

The faith in markets is especially dubious considering both sides of politics embraced free markets through this period allowing hypermarkets to develop. And where did we find ourselves?

Totally broke with formerly conserative free market freaks telling us to print more money.

Republicans in US, Liberals in oz, running up the biggest debts ever trying recover from letting the markets rip.

I'm all for reducing big government, but your view of an eloquently ticking away monetary merit system fostering a joyous life of individualisn is as fanciful as any socialist utopia.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 5:04pm

Indo, one quote, then off for another paddle and a feed:

"No ones dumb Goofyfoot, being clever with words or well educated or academic or whatever often means jack shit in the real world, life experience is where it's at and every view and opinion has value."

Er, no. Well, kinda. Yeah, nah. Whatever.

BUT...

as has been said before...

everyone is ignorant about different stuff...

it's how you deal with that fact that matters.

There's no real excuse for willful ignorance.

Well, there is...but it isn't pretty."

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 1:59pm

Blob, do not go to Home Depot this weekend under any circumstances. Go for a surf or something. World Junior titles are on at HB pier. Finding a park for the van might be a bit of a headache, but.