What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 7:04pm

Baked again, huh?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 7:14pm
talkingturkey wrote:

Baked again, huh?

Mate maybe you should whack a couple of gold tops in the pot.

Might give you the broadened perspective that you seem to be lacking.

Or maybe you can explain how your riveted attention to the politics and discourse of those that are fleecing you like a piece of D grade livestock is improving your lot.

Or how your scrawl in box X,Y or Z on ballet day is going to fix the issues that you're so aghast over .

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 7:28pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Great post Sheepy, classic movie. Ties in well with what Blowin is saying although the question seems to be (and has been for quite some time) do you stay and "fight" or do you bail out or somewhere in between?
Blowin although I feel like you do on my worst days, I think that that degree of cynicism will eat you from the inside out.
I reckon emotionally disengage just a touch (to keep your sanity) and keep fighting the good fight which can extend well beyond simply voting and all that voting does or doesn't entail.
As Old Mate said in Sheepy's post, fighting the good fight can be as simple as planting a tree.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 7:30pm

any post that includes the words ... clueless fuckstains, fantastical dream, self flagellation and limited paradigm has got my attention ....... nice post blowie

like your work sheepy

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 14 Jun 2016 at 9:33pm

Love it when certain swillnut old timers come into politico, and complain or whinge about the political conversation..... Two words for you...... Fuck off......

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Wednesday, 15 Jun 2016 at 6:43am

And we get an equal amount of laughs when you stamp your credentials in any surfing thread. :)))))

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 15 Jun 2016 at 3:20pm

Ever sat through that film, comrades? My Dinner with Andre. I concur with the review that said: " It is, to be blunt, about 30 minutes of interesting dialogue packed into a 110-minute film."

Funny you include it after poor old Blowie's blow-ups (and Sweet Jeezus, where do you start with some of that over-wrought insecure muddle? And the personal pejoratives! Tch tch. As the philosopher Max Cady once said: "It's not necessary to lay a foul tongue on me, my friend. I could get upset. Things could get outta hand.").

In the film Andre does the majority of the philosophising. He is also a schizo. The other bloke, Wally, plays the part of the audience for the bulk of the film. He's a champion of the scientific method.

Oh, and they're both involved in the experimental theatre scene.

So, who's who in our little swell-nuttin' zoo? Where's Wally? Who's Andre?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 15 Jun 2016 at 6:24pm

Muddle ?

I thought it was pretty plain.

You seem to think that continuously debating Labour Vs Liberal covers the entire spectrum of politics.

Seems a bit like arguing for West Coast over Fremantle and believing you're discussing the totality of sports to me.

PS ...maybe you'd better expand on why I'm the problem.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 15 Jun 2016 at 6:58pm
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:

And we get an equal amount of laughs when you stamp your credentials in any surfing thread. :)))))

Is it my imagination, or did it just get a whole lot more dumber in here?

How about another "I don't like you don't ever talk to me again" tissue tantrum, bro?.. I've respected your wishes..... Now make like hay and bail.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 15 Jun 2016 at 7:04pm

"You seem to think that continuously debating Labour Vs Liberal covers the entire spectrum of politics."

Ummm, ya get that in a 2 horse race..... When we have a green or family first or Nick x or shooters party pm, they may take more of a centre stage in popular discussion... But for now, people will talk about Fremantle dockers and wescoast eagles more than the Millicent saints.......

Hako o hakonde ... Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 5:58am
Sheepdog wrote:

How about another "I don't like you don't ever talk to me again" tissue tantrum, bro?.. I've respected your wishes..... Now make like hay and bail.....

Suck on it kookdawg, lawd of the political thread, but it's a surfing forum so what you doing here?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 10:57am

Quick Hacko, I think someone's just posted a photo of [insert Victorian 'secret spot' that isn't] on another thread. Go get 'em, champ.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 11:07am
Blowin wrote:

Muddle ?

I thought it was pretty plain.

You seem to think that continuously debating Labour Vs Liberal covers the entire spectrum of politics.

Seems a bit like arguing for West Coast over Fremantle and believing you're discussing the totality of sports to me.

PS ...maybe you'd better expand on why I'm the problem.

Blowie, your simple and simplistic vision/summation/opinion above of what's literally what in this thread SHOWS WHY YOU'RE THE PROBLEM.

You fucking retard.

(that's another quote by the way...from you!)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 12:26pm

You'll have to do better than that Turkey .

Explain how I'm part of the problem and just what that problem might be.

Relevant to the thread as I'm a valid member of Aussie society, with a valid opinion and a valid vote.

Curios to see how that presents as a problem.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 12:35pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Suck on it kookdawg, lawd of the political thread, but it's a surfing forum so what you doing here?

I've noticed a trend with the hack..... When he argues with someone, he pulls out the "you can't surf" line.... Does it with everyone he argues with.....
Insecurity....... I take it you are useless at surfing..... And by deflecting the way you do, it raises your self esteem..... Whatever works for you , hack......

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 4:47pm
Blowin wrote:

You'll have to do better than that Turkey .

Explain how I'm part of the problem and just what that problem might be.

Relevant to the thread as I'm a valid member of Aussie society, with a valid opinion and a valid vote.

Curios to see how that presents as a problem.

Huh?

Man, your whole output of late is full of little "curios".

Weeeelll, for starters, in regards to this thread, this particular thread, you haven't got a clue. Really. It's all about your footy team political analogy?! Really?

Go back a couple of pages. Go back to the first page. Actually, go to page 19. On there is a lively discussion about the duopoly that plagues us. Yes, the COLES/WOOLIES duopoly.

There's even some wag who posts this:

"Waleed is either nowhere near as bright as the Logies Voting Panel (C) would have us believe or he's a genius at evasive thinking .

The world is rejecting Globilisation.

No one is into - anywhere.

Easier to ascribe an accusation of malcontentedness to the global population than to accede to the unpalatable concept that it's not mere xenophobia....it's that people aren't that keen to lose their cultural identities in the name of economic expediency "

I don't quite know what he/she is trying to get at here (the language seems forced and clunky to me...the writer not comfortable and confident), but, hey, he/she is having a go. As is their inalienable right as a valid swell-nutter.

The commentator (who quoted this) wasn't as erm, impressed.

"This guy is embarrassing."

And yet another commentator stated (perhaps in solidarity...or piss-takery?):

"I like the boy".

Ah, life's rich pageantry all in one thread!

I think you may be getting mixed up with the more partisan Australian political thread (with the ever-revolving name): Tony Turnbull has got nothin but another fear campaign.

And yet even in this more focussed thread, things aren't wholly black n white, and/or on script.

For example, these exchanges:

AndyM wrote:

Blowin the way I see it, you have to identify what is not up to scratch with the current situation so you can have a conversation about it and hopefully come up with a solution or compromise that people can live with - I don't see this as denigrating the present situation.
Although I have concerns about the direction in which Australia is heading politically/socially/economically, I enjoy day to day. There's some poo on my proverbial glasses but I'm ok with the amount, there are a lot of things I get immense pleasure and enjoyment from such as a surf yesterday and seeing the birds in the forest today.
I'm not going to write a thesis on my political views but I'll put down a few points.

Something closer to real democracy, free of "donations" and string pulling by media monopolies, mining lobbies, real estate lobbies etc.

Recognition and dignity for minorities including Indigenous, gay, disabled and to an extent, women.

Recognition for the necessity of a sustainable future, taking into account population, resource use etc.

Stopping the politicisation of issues like asylum seekers/indigenous

Non-partisanship of the Federal Police, Border Force etc.

Transparent government with regard to asylum seeker boat arrivals, offshore detention, donations received, pork barrelling etc.

Scaling back of a materially aspirational society i.e. recognising the relationship between humans and the natural environment. None of this should interfere with sustainable farming, forestry and fishing.

Supporting capitalism, technological advances etc. but avoiding monopolies/duopolies because that's when things start to get ugly.

Supporting a social democracy where there is universal healthcare and education.

I could go on but there's a start.
Needless to say, neither side of politics gets my tick of approval. The LNP especially goes against everything I've said above and I see this as extremely dangerous for every reason.

After some time and some goading there came this reply:

Blowin wrote:

Halt foreign ownership of real estate...all forms .

Limit population growth through restricted immigration .

Halt or extremely limit the use of imported labour in Australia .

Prioritise spending on Health, welfare , education.

Subsidise tertiary education.

Discontinue the privatisation of government functions - transport, ports, education, health and welfare.

Nationalised infrastructure spending that produces exportable products - Oil/ Gas , mining etc. Achieved through a commited and non politicised sovereign wealth fund that is accumulated as a result of an annual flat rate tax payable by every Australian citizen.

An Australian constitution guaranteeing freedom of access for individuals to natural resources eg fishing, hunting.

Complete transparency, limitation and curtailment of political donations / lobbying.

Political sphere should consist of - true democracy : continuous referendum style establishment of the desires of the Australian people. People often denigrate policies as being " populist " - isn't that the hallmark of democracy , to reflect the will of the majority ? Constitution / laws established through plebiscite .

Removal of the relevance of individual politicians from consideration - political parties should be faceless, though not unaccountable . Same as every other government department. Make people vote for policy, not projected personality. This could be achieved by a regularly scheduled release of each parties / independents stance on a range of issues displayed in a matrix format for the easy comparison / contrast with each other. Political sanctions as deterrence towards failure to follow the nature of the stated policies .

Dedicated sovereign partnerships with all approved foreign investment in Australia.

An opposition to the acceptance of free trade agreements particularly those containing an ISDS clause.

A focus on the unity of Australians - ie the sustenance of the common language .

Removal of dual citizenship options.

Tightening of tax loopholes for transnational companies . Limited deferral of tax obligations as a result of capital deduction.

Flat rate of tax commencing and ceasing at minimal and maximum earnings respectively for individuals.

Removal of state governments and bodies.

Foreign aid to be concentrated on directly neighbouring nationalities.

Increased antitrust legislation.

All the above is of course conditional on approval by the constant plebiscite process that I advocate.

How the tide of political corruption would be prevented from being spread from the individual power of the current politicians to the diluted, though accumulatory power of the plebiscite approach is beyond me.

Though you can guarantee that if there is political power it will be purchased by those with power , one way or another.

Australia should resist all efforts by non -representational ,transnational bodies to subvert the democratic prerogative of Its citizens as a primary concern .

Better give me a chance to digest what I've written before you start flaying me Andy, I just spat that all out, .

Then this!

Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Interesting comments, people.

Good to see any discussion on how things are run - be it offering alternatives or even just 'radical' tweaks to the seemingly entrenched monolithic political systems we seem to be beholden to in the Western democracies especially.

Engagement is all good, surely?

There are a myriad of alternatives and tweaks offered out there. Always have been. From the theoretical to contemporary 'real world' examples.

Speaking of the 'real world', realpolitik, where to from here, in Australia, on July 2nd? Which way to jump? What voting strategies to employ? Does any party have a policy platform or any parts of it that are amenable to some of what YOU believe or would like to see happen?

Or conversely, are there parties whose policies are so far removed from anything you believe or would like to see implemented in any way, shape or form?

How to process and act?

Strategic voting? Informal voting? Protest voting? The 'nuclear option'?

YOUR particular vision is best served by voting how?

Interesting and exciting times to be an Australian.

And then finally this!

talkingturkey wrote:

Blowie chucks in some prescriptions/suggestions. Gets a "hear, hear" from some of the peanut gallery - T (cough, cough) B & (not so) Zen. Huzzah!

AND YET...

I can't see a lot of correlation between what is suggested/supported by these fine fellas and ANYTHING in the 'realpolitik' world and what the LNP is spruiking for this election...In some cases, things are seriously diametrically opposed.

Huh? What gives? Cognitive dissonance?

Yeah, yeah, OF COURSE no-one votes for the LNP on here EVER...apparently. Yet Labor and the Greens are totally shit...apparently. Yep, I'm looking at you guys again.

So, in the 'realpolitik' world, what IS the strategy for the upcoming election, fellas? Seeing as the parties are all the same and NONE of 'em would even look at YOUR quaint little remedies...let alone try any of 'em out... apparently. Flip a coin? "Nuclear option"? Indy rock? Null n voided?

'Cos I reckon the LNP, as is, as always, hates you*! And yet loves you too (if you submit)! Go figure. S & M kinkarama! Australia, you're standing in it!

Now where'd I put my "real solutions" pamphlet from last time? Maybe Australia does need Tony? Again?

*Disregard if you're in the top percentile of earners and went to [insert recognised brand name] private school and a (pick a state) 'sandstone' uni. Oh, and a cynical soulless cunt to boot that's in on the whole joke.

The point of all this? Well, sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And even if he's an intellectually lazy man - quite possibly the laziest in Australia, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Wow, I lost my train of thought here. But, aw, hell. I've done introduced him enough.

Over to you, Blowie.

Got any answers to offer in regards to that last quoted post?

('cos there were none at the time)

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:13pm

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.

We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'

I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:21pm

Yeah mate, a new political system as I suggested.

That also in referral to the two party race that you seem to think is essential for life on Earth, and thus the footy analogy.

As for the rejection of Globilisation ....maybe you'd better wait till you see which way they jump on the Brexit proposal for instance.

Its hilarious the way you've assumed the mantle of smartest man in the room.

Then the self quoting.

Glorious stuff.

PS. Don't see why my writing would be anything but clunky....I'm a punter on a surf forecast forum after all.

PPS. Still not sure how any of this is a problem. It's just an opinion.

You'd better inform me how this is detrimental to the world / Economy / the price of gym membership in South Aussie backwaters ?

Just state it clearly mate, for a writer of your talents it shouldn't be too difficult to string together a precise, descriptive sentence.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:25pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be.

We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.'

Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get MAD! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'

I want you to get up right now. Sit up. Go to your windows. Open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!...You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first, get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!'"

You're part of the problem Shatner.

Anyway back to the third quarter of LNP vs Labour Vs Greens vs Name your unrepresentative shills that would dearly love your vote so it can be their turn to sodomise you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:47pm

So are you into Globilisation Turkey ?

AKA The New colonisation.

Only this time it's faceless corporations and soon it will be unaccountable transnational beaurocracies that will be sucking the nation's dry from afar rather than inbred monarchies and imperious states.

Apart from provide cheap TV s, what has Globilisation done for you that your stoked about ?

That outweighs the negatives such as the colluded de skilling of our nation in order to flood the market with cheap, casualised foreign labour with no allegiance to our country or the tax system that provides for our community ?

Or are you a cheerleader for the final dismemberment of self determination through political means ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 4:48pm
Blowin wrote:

Yeah mate, a new political system as I suggested.

That also in referral to the two party race that you seem to think is essential for life on Earth, and thus the footy analogy.

As for the rejection of Globilisation ....maybe you'd better wait till you see which way they jump on the Brexit proposal for instance.

Its hilarious the way you've assumed the mantle of smartest man in the room.

Then the self quoting.

Glorious stuff.

PS. Don't see why my writing would be anything but clunky....I'm a punter on a surf forecast forum after all.

PPS. Still not sure how any of this is a problem. It's just an opinion.

You'd better inform me how this is detrimental to the world / Economy / the price of gym membership in South Aussie backwaters ?

Just state it clearly mate, for a writer of your talents it shouldn't be too difficult to string together a precise, descriptive sentence.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 6:51pm

One mans turd is another mans fertiliser.........And one mans gain is another mans loss...... There is no kumbaya.... there never will be.....
And in the words of the great Kenny, "the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep..... You gotta know when to hold em', know when to fold em', know when to walk away, and know when to run"........

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 11:37am

Always been a fan of Kenny the philosopher's quotes...well, this Kenny:

"There's a smell in here that will outlast religion"

(I dunno if this applies to these threads?)

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 12:16pm

Hah! Kenny about some of the stuff on here?

"It's as silly as a bum full of smarties."

Howzabout "Australians all let us ring Joyce..."?

One for you, Blowie.

Now let's start wading through some of your output of late...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:08pm

Kenya..... A christian country....... 82.6% christian population...... 14 years jail in proven to be homosexual..... They will legally hold you down and examine your anus....

So..... Where's the outrage? Or is outrage confined to islamic preachers?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:10pm

Ben..... The comment above rejected a link to a Guardian article; " Kenya upholds use of anal exam to determine sexual orientation"..
Mollom deemed it as spam..... Ridiculous.....

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:25pm

Sorry mate, it's an automated system we have no control over. SPAM has been an issue for the last few weeks so we're playing with the settings but it's hard to find the perfect balance.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:42pm

Thats the way it is, mate.... people can google the headline if interested..

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:56pm

From Kenny to Kenya?! What fresh lunacy is this?

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 1:59pm

BTW Ben, I'm seeing DELETE, EDIT and REPLY as options. No QUOTE. And that's on all the comments not just my own!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 2:02pm

"Howzabout "Australians all let us ring Joyce..."?

One for you, Blowie.

Now let's start wading through some of your output of late..."

(there I go quoting myself again, hey?)

From the Blowie archive (directed at me):

"You seem to think that continuously debating Labour Vs Liberal covers the entire spectrum of politics.

Seems a bit like arguing for West Coast over Fremantle and believing you're discussing the totality of sports to me."

"Yeah mate, a new political system as I suggested.

As for the rejection of Globilisation ....maybe you'd better wait till you see which way they jump on the Brexit proposal for instance."

"So are you into Globilisation Turkey ?

AKA The New colonisation.

Apart from provide cheap TV s, what has Globilisation done for you that your stoked about ?"

Are you confusing me with someone else or just going "full strawman"? Actually, in regards to 'globalisation', you're gonna have to give me your definition of what it means to you. 'Cos I'm hard-pressed to see where I fit in as some kind of cheer-leader of it (as I understand what 'globalisation' is) as you claim.

Another one of yours:

"The world is rejecting Globilisation.

No one is into - anywhere.

Easier to ascribe an accusation of malcontentedness to the global population than to accede to the unpalatable concept that it's not mere xenophobia....it's that people aren't that keen to lose their cultural identities in the name of economic expediency "

This was in regards to a Waleed Aly article, yeah? This one (I'm a bit loathe to post links these days...who reads 'em? Also, there have been Mollom problems. But, lest I be hoisted on my own 'strawman' petard, or rather trapped and burned alive inside one a la The Wicker Man, here it is):

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-age-of-dissent-20160526-gp45fc.html

I don't agree with what he offers in a number of ways, but what you take out of it, and what we're mining into here, is "easier to ascribe an accusation of malcontentedness to the global population than to accede to the unpalatable concept that it's not mere xenophobia....it's that people aren't that keen to lose their cultural identities in the name of economic expediency"?

This "cultural identity" mention is interesting. "Xenophobia" too. Tie this in with some of your other posts regarding "multiculturalism" and "nationalism", and I'm getting a picture about what 'globalisation' means to you. Or again, trying to understand at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ACTUALLY SCRATCH ALL THAT.

I went trawling through the threads trying to find some weird shit I remembered you saying about John Howard and multiculturalism and stumbled on even more weirder shit you've spewed on here in the past. FULL-ON WEIRD RACIALIST "I'M NOT A RACIST, BUT..." TOTAL SHIT.

Waste of time. Up there with Tony fucken Barber's stuff.

Ah well.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 2:47pm

FWIW!

Vote however you will this election, and while I agree with Blowin basic premise (sorry if I've misunderstood Blowie) that the system itself is corrupt, that isn't going to change before the 2nd July, so get out there and vote, or turn up at least, and if you will, draw a dick and balls on the ballot sheet and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Be polite to the electoral office officials, they're just out there making a quid, but feel free to give the odd knee to the groin to anyone proffering how-to-vote cards. If, however, you need one of those how-to-vote cards to work out how to vote then please write nothing on your ballot paper, fold it up and put it unmarked in the voting boxes. You do not deserve the be able to vote.

Yes, the system is corrupted, but it's not just the system, it is the underlying ideology. This is the end days for capitalism. It's a failed ideology, it doesn't work anymore and it can't. It is unsustainable and we are here to witness that end. I wonder whether its end will come with evolution or revolution.

But whatever else happens, don't think for a minute that either party is as bad as the other. A vote for the Liberals is a vote for corporate power and privilege over human beings. Baby-faced Mike Baird is enacting some of the nastiest laws that democracies have seen in some time, he is the wolf in sheep's clothing and is a foretaste of what inevitably follows from a vote for the LNP.

So no, they may be equally venal and incompetent, but a vote for LNP is not the same as a vote for Labor. As for the others, well, except for a very few seats, your vote will either fall to Labor or the LNP, so better that you know that up front and think about it.

Had an interesting conversation with a pommie work friend about Brexit. Only a couple of weeks ago now and both of us were undecided. Since then I have moved towards hoping they vote to get out of the EU. The EU is a failed experiment, and the common currency a disaster. The exit of Britain, hopefully soon after followed by the break-up of the EU, is as likely to be a good thing as a bad one. The reasons I'm now hoping for a Brexit is that top-down management just doesn't work, and yet everything in the free world is moving towards more of that. The world will work more effectively when nation states are broken down to smaller levels, not larger ones. Bureaucracies, whether they be governments or big business, are just mindlessly inefficient and the bigger they get the more they move towards the establishment and maintenance of power. That is where the corruption is.

That may be the only way that we don't end up going down the path of violent revolution, world-wide. Better that smaller nation states have their squabbles then complete breakdown.

Anarchy works. A form of socialist anarchy is the next form of government and ideology for the secular world. I for one would like to publicly praise the new overlords, except in anarchy there aren't any!

Sorry, carry on, just felt like a ramble on here.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 3:26pm

Appalling Brexit related news today regarding the murdered MP. I thought you'd be all over it, Doggo. Especially in regards to the "let's take care not to jump to conclusions about motives" bollocks from the media. Oh really? What's changed?

That kind of hypocrisy will be the death of me.

The whole Brexit/EU issue is devilishly complex. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, a lotta strands to keep in my head, man.

If there was a referendum in Britain about signing up to the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership how would the populace vote?

Would it circumvent the flag-waving and dumb-arse xenophobia associated in the Brexit campaign?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 3:40pm

Was it flag waving xenophobia that saw Indonesia get rid of the Dutch ?

Xenophobia - the second most overused and inappropriately used word in the English language.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 4:25pm

Quite, or that saw the Gweagal get rid of their invading nemesis?

(rolls eyeballs into back of head)

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 9:56am

Right.........................

Meanwhile in Australia, and talking about hypocrisy, and I guess trade and nationalism and 'globalisation', I always found the John Howard years fucken weird. Well, weird is a polite way of describing the period. Actually, we're still enduring the legacy, and may continue to do so.

On the one hand, we had the flag-waving; the ANZACKERY; The 'history wars'; the 'culture wars'; the whole "we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come" xenophobia 101; ALL THIS CRASS NATIONALISM AND FORCE-FED AUSTRALIAN IDENTITY BALDERDASH.

I dunno about you but to me it all felt a little...un-Australian.

And yet, in the same period while all this Aussie pride was exploding, we had the most hardcore entrenchment of the 'special relationship' between us and the Yanks going on since, well, the last time the Libs were in charge. Even moreso.

We had the signing of the so-called 'free trade' agreement, and then of course the big one, the going to war FOR/WITH the US of A in Afghanistan and especially Iraq.

Bush gives Howard a 'booty call' and we're all a-quiver and all for whatever you say, big daddy! "Will you still love me, tomorrow?"

I dunno about 'special', this relationship just seems tawdry...and embarrassing...and toxic.

Definitely one-sided.

And yet, TPP, no probs, where do we sign? Syria? Iraq again? No worries, bombs away.

Yanks = good.

BUT Chinese = ??

The jury's out? $$$$ alone ain't cutting it anymore? Or should that be the yen alone ain't good enough anymore? We're losing our identity, I think? Our Howard-approved national identity? Bust out the yellow peril stuff again? Get out the flags...again? ISIS! Muslims! Asylum seekers...again!

All F.E.A.R* brought to you by the same mob doing the dodgy deals that you're ultimately scared about?!

And probably should be but not for the reasons you think you think!

True Aussie patriots, the LNP. Never a more exciting time to be a (certain kind) of Australian.

Fuck, beam me up.

* F.E.A.R = Fuckwits Exalting Ayn Rand

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 4:41pm

The right wing conservative is peculiarly schizophrenic. All over the place like a mad-woman's shite. Well, at least the true believer is.

All for dodgy 'free trade' agreements that leave our sovereignty exposed, yet uber-nationalists!

Vilify multiculturalism (their definition of) and 'illegal immigrants', yet welcome the foreigners on dodgy visas working for below-award wages.

Love the Chinese $$, and them buying heaps of our stuff 'cos there's heaps of 'em, yet don't like them because there's too many of 'em.

I could go on...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 5:16pm

A couple of hundred years ago you'd call it a war, but by today's parlance it would be xenophobia if modern indeginous Aussie's wanted to get rid of whitey now.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 5:45pm

"As silly as a bum full of smarties."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 6:32pm

Cmon Turkey - that's intellectually lazy.

Oh , please stop it , my sides are splitting.

So - who is it your voting for turkey ?

Straight out ....who's winning the turkey's grim faced, furrowed brow , chin cradled , eyes cast to the heavens in ponderance vote ?

Who are the intellectuals siding with these days ?

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 6:57pm

'Intellectuals' always side with Labor because they don't live in the real world. Those who do can see the sad state of leftist politics and generally give them a wide-berth. Abbott would have won in a canter but Turnbull, being left-leaning, is gunna make it a close call.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:01pm

There seems to be something wrong with the QUOTE option, so here it is (from Batfink above):

"Yes, the system is corrupted, but it's not just the system, it is the underlying ideology. This is the end days for capitalism. It's a failed ideology, it doesn't work anymore and it can't. It is unsustainable and we are here to witness that end. I wonder whether its end will come with evolution or revolution.

But whatever else happens, don't think for a minute that either party is as bad as the other. A vote for the Liberals is a vote for corporate power and privilege over human beings. Baby-faced Mike Baird is enacting some of the nastiest laws that democracies have seen in some time, he is the wolf in sheep's clothing and is a foretaste of what inevitably follows from a vote for the LNP.

So no, they may be equally venal and incompetent, but a vote for LNP is not the same as a vote for Labor. As for the others, well, except for a very few seats, your vote will either fall to Labor or the LNP, so better that you know that up front and think about it."

I can only concur in the main. Though I believe BF is specifically referring to the House of Reps. In any event, put the LNP last...it's where they put you!

Unless you believe the hysterics of Morrison/Murdoch Inc. and their 'caravans of chaos' bullshit, I think a hung parliament may be a good thing.

The senate is a different kettle of lime-scale. But go buck-wild. Make the fuckers work to get things done.

I'd go the more than 12 below the line myself. I see the HEMP Party is havin' a go! Takes me back to when they ran the Aussie Uni titles!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:09pm

The Weeeeeen, you the sole member of the L.G.B.T.I ( Let's Glass Barbie The Ice) party? Crunch the numbers, comrade, do the meth...

"As silly as a bum full of smarties."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:11pm

So you also feel the frustration at being beholden to this two inch windswell on a lake of socio economic effectiveness ?

That makes you part of the problem....cobber.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:13pm

Might not register too highly at your Mensa meetings now that you're part of the proletariat , turkey.

Don't worry, I won't tell.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 7:48pm

Shats writes "From Kenny to Kenya?! What fresh lunacy is this?"
This is "what's what", isnt it? "AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.
LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY"

I've got the right thread haven't I, Shats??

Turkmanistan writes "Appalling Brexit related news today regarding the murdered MP. I thought you'd be all over it, Doggo. "...................... No..... i generally give it 1 or 2 days..... Let the initial false news reports fall by the way side, allow for some reflection..... Kneejerk opinions based on fox news live reports are just that, kneejerk opinions......

Blowin writes; "Was it flag waving xenophobia that saw Indonesia get rid of the Dutch ?"...... No..... It was Japan....

Ween writes "'Intellectuals' always side with Labor because they don't live in the real world. Those who do can see the sad state of leftist politics and generally give them a wide-berth. Abbott would have won in a canter but Turnbull, being left-leaning, is gunna make it a close call."............
I really think that deserves a meme......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 9:44pm

To quote the corporate embodiment of vicissitude that dumped the mewling Joel Turpel upon our subcultural doorstep , the WSL - You can't script this.

Thanks for the meme and the heartfelt plea to our lack of intelligence Sheepy.

As you yet again Wikidogged your way into : Ironic insult of the month - June 2016.

Sorry mate , if you're not sure what I'm on about, it's because the Dutch left Indo years after the Japs left due to diplomatic pressure as the colonisation was starting to get a bit whiffy even in those heydays of imperiousness .

Not your fault.

You can't be expected to be able to make up for your extreme lack of real world exposure in a few minutes of googling.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 9:16pm

"embodiment"..... "Vicissitude"......"Imperiousness"...... Get yourself a new dictionary, Blowin?

And of course you are fully educated at modern Indonesian history.... (slaps forehead).... Is there nothing blowin doesn't know.......

Sounds like gammon famacidal obscuration to me........

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 9:53pm

Shatner - I loved your " Please , just leave us alone in our living rooms " quote by the way.

It was even used in Green Iguana unless I'm mistaken. Accompanied a Sublime song.

Good times.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 10:40pm

I generally scroll past your excremental waffle these days blowin..... Apart from your obvious conservative Howardesqe leanings macramed into your semi essays, what the fuck are you trying to get across?

I've got a tip for you...... Go surfing . Hold your loved ones. Appreciate the inalienable realities of our beautiful country and turn off your news feed.