What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 5:31pm

I wonder Facto, someone on here would be totally priapismic if it were.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:20pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 25 May 2019 at 9:21pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 6:42pm

BB Well we learn something new about BB, thats cool i love Japanese people, i use to hang out with lots of japanese surfers on the Goldie, they were classics.

Do you eat much home prepared Japanese food?

I really want to start incorporating more Japanesee food into my diet some of that food they eat at home is super healthy.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 6:48pm

I can't stand Japanese people.

Good tucker though.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 6:58pm

Onya GS re JA.

Midnight Oil rocks. Much more than just the singer. Awesome muso's all round.

Stu, Probs a bit late, but if you see old mate Pete can you ask him when is he going to run as an Independent in the Senate? Labor leader perhaps?

Do I hear a yea nah?

Moderation for the nation vs Go hard or go home.

From the other page Stu wrote:

"Nationalise it.

Jobs.
Energy.
Economy."

Yea, It would look good on a placard.
All encompassing.
Yet simple. (which helps)

You'll be labelled a communist though if you mention 'nationalisation'. Crikey, you'd be media bashed for just thinking it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:16pm

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:27pm

STOP THE PRESS

The mural honouring Jacinda Ardern is located in Brunswick right next to the Upfield railway line and bike path so thousands a people a day get to admire it.

PS: ridden that bike path many times as my grandparents are buried at Fawkner Cemetery and I go up there to pay my respects.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:39pm

let's hope common sense prevails here and someone works out how to rig a spray can to a drone and really fark that shit up.

Oh well the left can have their mural but we had our Trump moment...yay!!!!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:48pm

ahh Peter Garrett, appropriate somehow in a political thread,,

I thought they were changing the name of the band,,,
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/midnight-oil-takes-environ...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:51pm

The spirit according to Indod,

"let's hope common sense prevails here and someone works out how to rig a spray can to a drone and really fark that shit up."

Oi!

Common sense apparently.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 7:58pm

BB, my diet is about as Japanese as it gets. Rice every day, natto, eggs, lots of fish, lots of veg, miso. Rice toppings- konbu, mekabu etc.

NHK, gotta love Japan- making national news today, a monkey broke in to a library in Niigata prefecture. Gold!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 8:26pm

"...we had our Trump moment...yay!!!!"

God bless V.I.

Meanwhile in Australia...

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-23/married-to-the-alt-right/11043...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 23 May 2019 at 9:47pm

Zen, the first thing I found as 15 year old Aussie kid in Japan was 2L tinnies of beer in vending machines. High trust society not designed with Aussie teenagers in mind.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:05am

A story of great environmental detective work:

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-looks-like-someone-is-producing-an-inter...

It seems the Montreal Protocol is not being taken seriously.

NYT picks it up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/24/world/asia/china-ozone-cfc.html

And sources of the pollution are located:

https://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-scientists-know-where-all-tho...

Map of change in emissions of CFC-11 here:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-22/scientists-expose-world-killer...

Well done Carly Casella. Top work.

And, because good editorial involves the repetition of themes; I give you, once again, the Honey Badger:

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 May 2019 at 7:25am

BTW speaking of chlorofluorocarbons are they used in the production of blowing surfboard foam/blanks?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 24 May 2019 at 10:27am

I believe polyurathane foam {including surfboards} previously used CFC-11 and HFCs as blowing agents but some checking indicates these have been replaced by dichloromethane and diisocyanates such as MDI {Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate} and TDI {Toluene Diisocyanate}.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:14pm

@Blowin, precisely and both sides of politics are to blame. Martin Ferguson hang your head in shame.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:15pm

Blindboy, your comment about settling into your community, thanks it would certainly help with those links.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:21pm

Has stu surfaced yet?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 May 2019 at 12:59pm

I'm here...bit dusty, but here. Proud of the way I paced myself despite how easy it woulda been to scarf that snitty, neck ten beers, and revel in the aftermath. Friend's band was unreal, better mix than Midnight Oil, and they were positively buzzing when they came off stage, while MO gave what felt like a curated set, shaped, I think, around lyrics in response to last Saturday. Few songs I'd never heard them play before. 'Twas also good see gender equality down on the dance floor when a blue between two blokes to my right was later offset by a barney between two lasses to my left.

P Garrett gave a nod to RJL Hawke, a timely reminder that jobs and economy was the ballast used to argue the damming of the Franklin, and the same argument is trotted out now even on the most tenuous of pretenses. As a kid I remember suits on TV justifying the Franklin being dammed. I also remember suits justifying nuclear weaponry, calmly explaining Mutually Assured Destruction while dismissing protestors as if they didn't understand the world. The latest flashpoint is only the most recent place where this condescension gets trotted out. Humanity is underrated, conservatism sells it short. Last song was Best of Both Worlds and if you know that song you'll know the line about the Great South Land.

Anyway, I've put a personal fatwa on politics for a while but feel free to get stuck in if you don't agree with me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 May 2019 at 1:16pm

Stu - Cheers for that quote yesterday.

It snapped me out of the Autumn Daze I had succumbed to. On my way to the Great Barrier Reef now. Coffee at Grafton. Might have to jam Flame Trees to start the next leg.

Surf looks micro. Great winds and good tides for diving/ fishing though.

Best of both worlds is such a great song. Good sentiment and awesome guitar riff.

Best hit the road....only another 850kms to go.

I’ve gotten “Life” narrated by Keith Richards himself to ease the distance on Audible .

PS The worst stretch of Highway in Australia......Grafton - Ballna or Tweed - Brisbane?

Give me strength, Keith.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 May 2019 at 1:18pm

Watch out for those kids out driving saturday afternoon just passing by.

Jeez, a road trip would do wonders now.

Jealous...

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 24 May 2019 at 1:50pm

Ha Blowin - wait 'till you get north of Cooroy, you'll look back at those stretches of highway with fondness. Worst stretches of highway are still to come.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 May 2019 at 2:02pm

"PS The worst stretch of Highway in Australia......Grafton - Ballna or Tweed - Brisbane?"

Pffffffft...... Try the princes hwy - Millicent thru Kingston SE up past the coorong to Meningie to Tailem Bend

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 24 May 2019 at 2:08pm

Actually sheepie, any road outside of a capital city, highway or not.
Except possibly the NT, they have great roads, even the dirt ones are good.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 May 2019 at 2:44pm

Interesting to see the lack of political talk here about Albanese?

Im surprised labor are taking this route surely there will be internal dramas in the camp as Albo continues to go left and some will feel that is what lost them the election. (and rightly so)

What they need is a leader to tone things down a bit and bring things back closer to the centre?

If they are going to continue to go further left, they might as well just form a coalition with Greens.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 24 May 2019 at 2:48pm

God bless V.I.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 24 May 2019 at 2:59pm

If you're looking for the V.I Facto, take a good close look in the mirror.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 May 2019 at 3:31pm

"I'm surprised labor are taking this route surely there will be internal dramas in the camp as Albo continues to go left and some will feel that is what lost them the election. (and rightly so)"

Since the election there's been much talk on here about labour protection, maybe not so much from yourself but definitely our boy Blowin, and I tend to agree with a fair whack of it, but what that means is more left thinking, not less. More protection for workers, not less.

I guess we'll be getting the opposite now: a more casualised, more insecure, and more mobile labour market, with the concomitant effect of (continuing) low wages, but for the life of me I cant understand why workers would want that?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 24 May 2019 at 3:45pm

"IIm surprised labor are taking this route surely there will be internal dramas in the camp as Albo continues to go left and some will feel that is what lost them the election. (and rightly so)"

"What they need is a leader to tone things down a bit and bring things back closer to the centre?"

You know some days you have to call a spade and spade and yell BULLSHIT.

Excuse me but the latest pronouncement from the self described person who doesn't take much notice of politics and yet proudly boasted voting One Nation and here yesterday used the royal we to gloat about the LNP victory, well that sort of bullshit can't be driven by and ignored.

So Indo, where exactly is your centre? Remember we have had this conversation many times before, knock knock is there anyone home? Hello, remember all political parties have drifted to the right with neo-liberalism, the closest thing you have to a traditional Liberal Party right now is the ALP so where does the centre line sit and how far to the right of it is the falsely name Liberal Party and even further out there the National Party and right our there on the edges your Pauline?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 24 May 2019 at 4:31pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 May 2019 at 4:37pm

There is no set centre the public decides where the centre is, when we talk about left right we are not just talking about economic we are talking about social and environmental issues, immigration etc

The reality is labor have moved to far left and alienated much of Australia the line between Labor and Greens is bluring, this may be your wish and many others but its not the wish of most Australians.

That article Blowin posted i think yesterday was a good one that basically also said Labor need to move back towards the centre, this is the only way they can get back the leadership..

Albanese is from the left side of Labor how can this work?

Im not overly familiar with Albanese personality only from what ive read, but it does appear from what ive read and heard he is atleast more likeable and has more personality and that Aussie spirit that helps an Aussie PM, but this is only what ive read, i will make my mind up on this as time progresses.

But hey, if you want to hand the coalition a two the three term government, fine...but seems a bit weird.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 24 May 2019 at 4:39pm

"...what that means is more left thinking, not less. More protection for workers, not less.

I guess we'll be getting the opposite now: a more casualised, more insecure, and more mobile labour market, with the concomitant effect of (continuing) low wages, but for the life of me I cant understand why workers would want that?"

- Stunet

"...we had our Trump moment...yay!!!!"

- V.I.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 May 2019 at 4:54pm

"...when we talk about left right we are not just talking about economic we are talking about social and environmental issues, immigration etc"

Well I wish we weren't. In fact it was you who said the economy was the most important thing. Left/right is political, anything is progressive/regressive and has little sway in my mind.

Do you find it odd that, in the words of Richard Denniss, chief economist at The Australia Institute, "Landlords backed Labor and their renters backed the Coalition. The landlords voted to give their tenants free child care and free health care while their tenants voted for their landlords to keep their tax concessions."

But the tenants won.

And in so doing they've done themselves out of child care, health care, pay rises, and installation of penalty rates, and all because, what?, they wanted to teach the landlords a lesson? There's no lesson here. Rich elites will simply get their $11,000 they voted against and the tenants will get shafted through reduced workplace conditions.

It's some sick version of Stockholm Syndrome.

I get that people are sick of Identity Politics, I really do...fuck I was called a racist by a militant, Green-voting, silver-spoon sucking lesbian that insists on showing off her doctorate even when signing off the kids soccer sheet on a Saturday morning, but it has nothing to do with the welfare of a country.

There's too much spite, from both sides.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 May 2019 at 5:01pm

"If they are going to continue to go further left, they might as well just form a coalition with Greens."
There it is, the most stupid thing I'll read today

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 24 May 2019 at 5:09pm

As I said on Sunday/Monday, Australians are simple folk, stupid folk.
If you go to an election with more than 3 big ideas, you'll lose. Kevin just had to say 2 things - "I'm Kevin, and I'm here to help", and "workchoices is un australian".
He won in a landslide.
Not everyone has the time to digest that "50% of all vehicles to be electric by 2030" means they wont be FORCED to buy an electric. They just hear someone say "they're gonna take ya ute"!!!!!!!

"KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 May 2019 at 5:34pm

Isn’t it cool the way you can breezily say -“Australians are stupid folk”

But you would lose your mind if someone else said
“Jews are stupid folk
Italians are stupid folk
Africans are stupid folk
First Nations people are stupid folk
Japanese are stupid folk
Indians are stupid folk
Iranian refugees on Manus are stupid folk”

Lucky Australia has you , Sheepy. The rest of the nation can just coast in the slipstream of your sharpened intelligence.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 24 May 2019 at 5:39pm

Sigh..........left......boomers screwing everyone............Australia rejected fairness over a shape changing base ball hat wearing fossil.

Boomers had the courage to help vote in Whitlam changed Australia for ever for the better.

Todays heroes cannot even vote in a very basic Labor government against extreme chaos

SD yer right need simple.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 May 2019 at 5:53pm

This is really happening.....

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/05/darwin-reeling-us-ban-chinese-s...

Australia will be the first Western domino to fall under CCP control.

It’d be wishful thinking to imagine that a new Brisbane line has been imagined as a bulwark . Im afraid the reality is that our politicians are so beholden / corrupted/ swooning / afraid that it’s more likely just the most convenient starting point logistically.

Same thought the Japanese had.

Thank fuck for US interests in the North of Australia. They contribute virtually nothing to our nation,the corporations themselves are loathsome , but the US reaction to a perceived threat to their financial interests is what could be between us and complete, uncontested overthrow of our country.

Team USA !

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 24 May 2019 at 8:08pm

"...Not everyone has the time to digest that "50% of all vehicles to be electric by 2030" means they wont be FORCED to buy an electric. They just hear someone say "they're gonna take ya ute"!!!!!!!

"KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID""

This is so true sheepdog. And this doesn't mean at all that australians are dumb. Moreso just not engaged in politics....'no time' ...aparently...

Labor's message got caught up in the intricacies of policy, which is kinda strange, as I thought they did absolutely everything they possibly could to not go into the intricacies of policy, which not so loosely translates to.... being cagey as fuck. Which also didn't help.

They had a lot of stuff out there, but they just didn't know the detail. Just look at shorten trying to bluff his way through the electric car debacle with kyle and jackie o. But that wasn't a one off, it was across the board. I challenge anyone to tell me what labor actually planned to do about climate change? (without google). Clearly they did not have - or want to release the costings, but it wasn't just about that, they didn't let on anything that they actually planned to do beyond "act on climate change'.

You can have an ambitious policy agenda, but you need something to tie it all in together. Like I suggested, '....we are tightening these tax loopholes, and with the money saved, we will fund our actions on cancer clinics and climate change. This how we will do it...'

They had no cohesive message, just random talking points, and vague policy floating in the ether. All over the shop.

Indod, you've got to seperate your 'left' from your 'left'. I don't particularly like albo, in fact he shits me big time, but when people say he's from 'the left faction', this time they mean the workers faction. Which hopefully hasn't totally forgotten what workers need and want. So albo could be an improvement.

This is in contrast to the identity politics factiion going more left. Basically the greens/labor coalition dudes, that are obsessed with lbgtq stuff, obsessed with refugees, obsessed with climate change, love open borders but won't say it publically etc etc. And want to sell the world to the highest bidder - whoever that may be, because to them it doesn't matter - through neo-liberalism. These people are very different to albo's workers background.

Basically, as I see it, shorten is more a centrist. So more neo-liberal, more free trade, more immigration, more student/457 like visas, etc. etc. all with more identity politics to make his economic syrup of shit go down.

He's the hilary clinton of oz politics ...so so hilary!!

Whereas someone from more of a workers perspective, would be happy to criticise free trade, bag open borders, and say enough is fucking enough with this identity politics bullshit!

A bit like bernie sanders did...

Trump also did this, but people don't like that example...

Unfortunetly labor has no one whatsoever remotely close to saying what bernie did. In fact it's quite saddening how silent the whole labor apperatus is on these issues (or is it compliant and servile?), with the exception of sally mcmanus that is.

but maybe, just maybe.... hopefully ...albo might just have a little more sanders/trump in him...

I fucken hope so

bcos you couldn't possibly find anyone, anyone at all, that's any more like hilary clinton than bill fucking shorten!

right down to neither having any testicles

bill just needs a man boob bra and a better stylist

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 May 2019 at 7:28pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 May 2019 at 6:44pm

I read in news Albo was pro open borders and more extreme on climate change action etc?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 24 May 2019 at 7:34pm

Oh there's a lot of assumptions in there blowin. And frankly, I have no confidence whatsoever. None.

Shorten's concession speech was very revealing, incredibly dull but very revealing. No self reflection whatsoever, no 'we need to think harder', no 'we need a new direction', nothing. Just ...'we did all we could'. And some rubbish about " ...there's no more ideas we could have explored..."

Like fuck there isn't.

The campaign was dull and safe, it was enraging. Then with a week or so to go, they went all - war memorial, gender centre, fracking in the NT, and importing grandmas.

All over the shop and radical in all the wrong ways. They clearly haven't got a clue.

Or, they are corrupted much more perversely and pervasively than has yet been revealed...

But you've gotta have hope...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 24 May 2019 at 7:14pm

The reintroduction of fracking is directly aligned with the post regarding the LNG export/import Rory link I pasted earlier.

Create an energy emergency and solve it with the creation of a new industry. It’s not double dipping , it’s triple , double , quadruple dipping of the Australian people as farmed livestock to be milked.

We get fucked in every hole .....and then some.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 24 May 2019 at 7:36pm

Exactly!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 24 May 2019 at 8:02pm

This year here's hoping we can get through the AFL's indigenous round on Swillnet without controversy.