Women's Surftag A First For Long Reef
The third event of the 2022 SURFTAG Series will hit the waves at Dee Why Beach, Sydney this weekend with the Women’s SURFTAG Presented by BEACHFOX Sunscreen seeing over fifty competitors representing their local Boardriding Clubs.
North Narrabeen Boardriders won the Women’s Title last time the event was held in 2019 at South Curl Curl Beach, Sydney in huge waves finishing just ahead of the Central Coast’s North Shelly Boardriders. Both Club’s have entered teams in this year’s event along with current SURFTAG Series Rankings leaders Long Reef Boardriders who will be competing for the first time in the Women’s SURFTAG.
Like many Boardriding Clubs over the past five years Long Reef’s Women’s division has boomed with over 60 members competing in their monthly competitions. Club President Tash Gee said the new brigade of girls are hungry to compete and are inspired by the Women surfers on the World Tour who compete in big surf.
“Most of our girls compete all year round and have some great role models to look up to,” Gee said. “Gabi Spake and Sydney Chevalier are two of our younger surfers coming through the ranks and compete in events all around the world, Gabi recently represented Australia at the ISA World Junior Championships in El Salvador.”
“We have a wide range of female surfers in the club with beginners as young as 5 years-old all the way up to our oldest who is 58 years-old, they all just love surfing.”
Torquay, Scarborough, Elouera, Cronulla Girls, North Shelly and Bondi Boardriders will all head to the Northern Beaches to take on defending champions North Narrabeen, Queenscliff, Long Reef and North Avalon. North Narrabeen have dominated the Women’s SURFTAG winning 7 x Titles since the event was first introduced in 2008.
Competition is scheduled to start 8.00am Saturday, Dee Why Beach, Sydney.
Women’s SURFTAG Presented by BEACHFOX
- Heat 1 – Long Reef, Elouera, North Shelly B
- Heat 2 – Queenscliff, Scarborough, Cronulla Girls B
- Heat 3 – North Avalon, North Narrabeen, Torquay
- Heat 4 – North Shelly, Bondi, Cronulla Girls
The 2022 SURFTAG Series is proudly supported by Surf Culture Bondi, Guzman y Gomez, The Manly Club, Beachfox Sunscreen, Pine Property, Swellnet, Manly Observer, Tawny Frogmouth and Lifeline Northern Beaches.
2022 SURFTAG Series
- Junior Surftag Presented by Guzman y Gomez – 13/14 August, Dee Why Beach
- Grommet’s SURFTAG Presented by Surf Culture Bondi – 27/28 August, Queenscliff Beach
- Women’s SURFTAG Presented by Beachfox - 10/11 September, Dee Why Beach
- Master’s SURFTAG Presented by The Manly Club – 24/25 September, Curl Curl Beach
- Men’s SURFTAG – 1/2 October, Queenscliff Beach