2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 13 May 2022 at 1:33pm

"Privatisation has also been a positive in most cases"

Mate for god's sake at least try to justify these claims you throw out there.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 13 May 2022 at 1:45pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

* (lost half my post, might leave it until latter)

Good, I’ll only have to use the 1/2 flush button to clear your sinking contribution.

PS I genuinely hope your daughter recovers quickly, jeez it’s going to be interesting in your household when your kids are teenagers. They don’t see things in strict black and white terms like you @info, especially daughters ... many mates say they fear their daughters more than their wives. Good luck with that ...

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Friday, 13 May 2022 at 1:48pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
dandandan wrote:

I can't fathom how you can be a lifelong surfer and a self-confessed conservative. You need to do some soul searching Indo.

What a weird comment sure most surfers might lean left more than lean right but being a conservative and a surfer is not at all strange. (only on Swellnet)

As ive mentioned many times i use to share views like yours and be a Greens voter for most of my voting life, before making a transition to a more conservative view.

I've done my soul searching i use to be like you whinging about the government and system thinking i can fight it and it was everything else that needed to change not me, it got me nowhere, but my change has brought me the things i desire, family, property, business, life/work balance and even satisfaction with current government & the capitalist democratic system we live under, im more appreciative than I've even been of my life and my country.

But hey each to their own

I was going to say: "Greens voter for most of my voting life," What happened?

Then read further and it all crystallized.

I have always had the feeling that rusted on Liberal voters such as yourself have the long standing belief that they: think their ideological belief systems are more fiscally responsible; that they are individually successful or wealthy, or aspire to accumulate for the sake of accumulation; or one day may become wealthy and already consider themselves of that ilk. So they vote for people who promote the interests of the wealthier middle/upper-middle/upper class instead of voting for people who want to raise the minimum wage, create affordable housing and improve and further fund the education sector across the board, particularly higher education. Extremely broad brushed generalisation here, but IMO you fit the bill of the characterization perfectly ID.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:16pm

An ex Liberal voter has a magic pen

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:17pm

I did the abc vote compass today just for fun and it seems I’m directly in the middle 50/50% LNP and Labor …kinda already knew that though but there ya go….I think Keneally will get trashed in her fake seat as will others both sides doing that sort of thing and that would make me feel better about a Labor win….I’m not overly concerned who wins this one but a few proper intelligent non fraud like independents in the mix would be good……one clean green Zali steggall climate fixer just got busted taking 100 k donation from a big coal family ha ha….unbelievable.
….fortunately the greens are looking publicly looney as usual so they won’t get many votes…. Morrison admitted today he’s been like a bull at a gate which everyone already knew….but he’s learnt a lot and I think with a bit more experience and listening to a few more compassion for the battler sermons at his local church under his belt he might just turn out to be ok…will he stay in politics if he loses?….probably not but who knows , he seems to froth on it….interesting times eh.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:19pm
AndyM wrote:

"Privatisation has also been a positive in most cases"

Mate for god's sake at least try to justify these claims you throw out there.

Firstly like i said im not for the privatisation of everything, i personally believe services where here can be competition should be privatised, but services where there is no competition im less in favour of, and of course there is pros and cons each way.

Let's take phone services and electricity for instance that were once owned/operated by the government.

Back then you had one choice and that was it, can you imagine if it was still the same imagine how much it would suck, obviously Telstra would have taken over mobil and internet, you would have a dozen packages to choose from that's it.

Privatisation has created a wide range of choice for the customer, you can shop around for a product that suits your needs at a price that suits you, or for say something like energy if you want to support renewable energy you can support companies that only use renewable energy.

The other bonus is are range of companies competing in a free market create more jobs than one public owned company.

And here is some more points from a website

1. Improved efficiency

The main argument for privatisation is that private companies have a profit incentive to cut costs and be more efficient. If you work for a government run industry managers do not usually share in any profits. However, a private firm is interested in making a profit, and so it is more likely to cut costs and be efficient. Since privatisation, companies such as BT, and British Airways have shown degrees of improved efficiency and higher profitability.

2. Lack of political interference

It is argued governments make poor economic managers. They are motivated by political pressures rather than sound economic and business sense. For example, a state enterprise may employ surplus workers which is inefficient. The government may be reluctant to get rid of the workers because of the negative publicity involved in job losses. Therefore, state-owned enterprises often employ too many workers increasing inefficiency.

3. Short term view

A government many think only in terms of the next election. Therefore, they may be unwilling to invest in infrastructure improvements which will benefit the firm in the long term because they are more concerned about projects that give a benefit before the election. It is easier to cut public sector investment than frontline services like healthcare.

4. Shareholders

It is argued that a private firm has pressure from shareholders to perform efficiently. If the firm is inefficient then the firm could be subject to a takeover. A state-owned firm doesn’t have this pressure and so it is easier for them to be inefficient.

5. Increased competition

Often privatisation of state-owned monopolies occurs alongside deregulation – i.e. policies to allow more firms to enter the industry and increase the competitiveness of the market. It is this increase in competition that can be the greatest spur to improvements in efficiency. For example, there is now more competition in telecoms and distribution of gas and electricity.

However, privatisation doesn’t necessarily increase competition; it depends on the nature of the market. E.g. there is no competition in tap water because it is a natural monopoly. There is also very little competition within the rail industry.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:36pm
Ben Harding wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
dandandan wrote:

I can't fathom how you can be a lifelong surfer and a self-confessed conservative. You need to do some soul searching Indo.

What a weird comment sure most surfers might lean left more than lean right but being a conservative and a surfer is not at all strange. (only on Swellnet)

As ive mentioned many times i use to share views like yours and be a Greens voter for most of my voting life, before making a transition to a more conservative view.

I've done my soul searching i use to be like you whinging about the government and system thinking i can fight it and it was everything else that needed to change not me, it got me nowhere, but my change has brought me the things i desire, family, property, business, life/work balance and even satisfaction with current government & the capitalist democratic system we live under, im more appreciative than I've even been of my life and my country.

But hey each to their own

I was going to say: "Greens voter for most of my voting life," What happened?

Then read further and it all crystallized.

I have always had the feeling that rusted on Liberal voters such as yourself have the long standing belief that they: think their ideological belief systems are more fiscally responsible; that they are individually successful or wealthy, or aspire to accumulate for the sake of accumulation; or one day may become wealthy and already consider themselves of that ilk. So they vote for people who promote the interests of the wealthier middle/upper-middle/upper class instead of voting for people who want to raise the minimum wage, create affordable housing and improve and further fund the education sector across the board, particularly higher education. Extremely broad brushed generalisation here, but IMO you fit the bill of the characterization perfectly ID.

Basically i grew up and developed a much broader understanding of politics, economics and social issues and started thinking about things much more rather than just voting for a party based on a cliche perception of what they are about like you might when young when you vote Green thinking they are only about the environment or vote Labor cause thats what blue collar workers are suppose to do.

Im in no way well off, i vote LNP because their ideology's align with mine both socially and economically and I've also been very happy with their governance over the last 30 years.

BTW. I will be voting LNP this time, but ive never directly voted LNP last election was the first time i voted for them via preferences.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:26pm

I didn't read all your post Indo cause I'm busy, but I agree, privatisation would be a raging success if you could only eliminate collusion, price fixing, gouging, nepotism, cronyism, foreign ownership and rampant corruption.

Other than that, It's a winner!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:33pm

BTW. Thanks for any well wishes for daughter, she is Covid positive but apart from a few sniffles last night, 100% fine not even any flue like symptoms today..

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:41pm

Indo, selling off public assets to benefit political mates is the definition of Australian cronyism in a neoliberal context, and neoliberalism puts markets and companies before society and the public interest.

There are so many examples of how privatisation has failed people and lead to rip offs and price gouging, check these out just for starters.

The network arm of Telstra should never have been sold by John Howard. If the network arm had been kept in public hands, we would now be well on the way – or have completed – a successful fibre rollout of NBN instead of the mess that Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull have bequeathed to us. If the network business of Telstra had been retained in public hands, it would have rolled out fibre broadband as part of its core business like NZ.
The Hawke and Keating governments sold off the Commonwealth Bank. We are not better off with the privatised CBA leading the race to the bottom in record profits, greedy executive salaries and unethical behaviour? We need to consider again a new ‘peoples bank’ like CBA was before privatisation.
Medicare has operating costs one third of those of private health insurance. But the government is using $12 billion of taxpayers’ money each year to prop up the inefficient and confusing mess called PHI. Our health system is being privatized by stealth through an enormous corporate subsidy to PHI. Medicare was established by the Whitlam Government because of the shambles that private health insurance had become in 1974. It is the same story again today.
Governments facilitated unscrupulous private providers to compete with TAFE with disastrous results. Rod Sims the Chair of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said that the mess of the VET-fee scheme with vocational training carried out by the private sector would take two years and counting to clean up.
He has also warned us that privatising the NDIS services could be a repeat of the VET-fee mess.
We sold off natural monopolies like our airports. We should not be surprised that these new private monopolies exploit consumers with excessive charges.
Seven hospitals in NSW and SA were privatised, but then reverted to public ownership because of poor services and high costs.
The NSW government sold Port Botany and Port Kembla to the same buyer, making competition between the two ports impossible. The result was increased rental charges of up to 400%.
The efficient Newcastle container port has been privatised, with a cap placed on its container business in order to protect Port Botany. That is real crony capitalism.
To top it off, the NSW government sold off the Land Titles Office which underpins the whole property system in NSW. It was no surprise when we learned that the new owner attempted to increase some land title fees by 1900%
Other privatisations are attempted through the back door. The federal government says that it will not privatise the ABC despite its federal council proposing just that. Instead the government is cutting funds to the ABC at the behest of Rupert Murdoch and the Institute of Public Affairs that he and Gina Rinehart fund. Further the ABC is subject to continual harassment and intimidation by ministers.
In similar fashion the NSW government says that it will not sell National Parks but starves them of funds to force commercialisation to benefit its political mates.
A major privatisation mess has of course been in electricity generation and distribution. As Tim Colebatch has reported in Inside Story, electricity prices have soared 187% since 2000. He commented ‘the privatisation and deregulation of gas and electricity has failed consumers’

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:50pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 2:55pm
AndyM wrote:

To top it off, the NSW government sold off the Land Titles Office which underpins the whole property system in NSW. It was no surprise when we learned that the new owner attempted to increase some land title fees by 1900%

Nasty business that one. The old boy began his career as a 17-year old surveyor in the LTO and rose to the top seat - finished a law degree and wrote a few books along the way. Lot of pride in that office as the Torrens Title System was developed here in Australia and has been a great knowledge export to the world.

Under his tenure the LTO turned a significant annual profit for the government, but LNP ideology won out, Gladys went and sold it, added the windfall to her bottom line, looks good on the report card, and now there's a lot of uncertainty ahead.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Friday, 13 May 2022 at 3:04pm

Sale of LTO shameful and unnecessary

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 13 May 2022 at 3:31pm
burleigh wrote:

Vote 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeH1Y1MFqc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Malcolm Roberts received 77 first preference votes in 2019. That the bloke is even allowed into the House is a travesty.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 13 May 2022 at 3:42pm

Here’s a little nugget from 3 years ago on wages and a ‘ strong ‘ economy .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 4:52pm

Just did the vote compass for a bit of fun below is my results.

Im not sure where i went wrong, im not as conservative on social issues as i thought, and i answered as honestly as possible..go figure.

And WTF is with this 17% Greens shit???....

https://votecompass.abc.net.au

Second go just incase i stuffed up a question pretty similar

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 13 May 2022 at 4:53pm

I coud just picture Indo answering;
"strongly in favour" of drowning illegal immigrant babies
"strongly in favour" of men only voting
"Strongly against" those 1st nations no hopers recognised in the constitution.
I'd be ashamed to post that abomination of a vote compas Indo hahahahaha rotfl

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 13 May 2022 at 4:53pm

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 4:58pm

Greens are far right on the most impactful economic metrics. They are far right on the most impactful environmental metric whilst they’re at it. Not so much of a suprise that your beliefs align with theirs Indo. Probably the only difference is the pronouns you’d use to describe yourself.

Greens are basically ALP with dyed hair. And the ALP is basically LNP with less outward pride in being beholden to corporate masters.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 4:57pm
AndyM wrote:

Indo, selling off public assets to benefit political mates is the definition of Australian cronyism in a neoliberal context, and neoliberalism puts markets and companies before society and the public interest.

There are so many examples of how privatisation has failed people and lead to rip offs and price gouging, check these out just for starters.

The network arm of Telstra should never have been sold by John Howard. If the network arm had been kept in public hands, we would now be well on the way – or have completed – a successful fibre rollout of NBN instead of the mess that Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull have bequeathed to us. If the network business of Telstra had been retained in public hands, it would have rolled out fibre broadband as part of its core business like NZ.
The Hawke and Keating governments sold off the Commonwealth Bank. We are not better off with the privatised CBA leading the race to the bottom in record profits, greedy executive salaries and unethical behaviour? We need to consider again a new ‘peoples bank’ like CBA was before privatisation.
Medicare has operating costs one third of those of private health insurance. But the government is using $12 billion of taxpayers’ money each year to prop up the inefficient and confusing mess called PHI. Our health system is being privatized by stealth through an enormous corporate subsidy to PHI. Medicare was established by the Whitlam Government because of the shambles that private health insurance had become in 1974. It is the same story again today.
Governments facilitated unscrupulous private providers to compete with TAFE with disastrous results. Rod Sims the Chair of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said that the mess of the VET-fee scheme with vocational training carried out by the private sector would take two years and counting to clean up.
He has also warned us that privatising the NDIS services could be a repeat of the VET-fee mess.
We sold off natural monopolies like our airports. We should not be surprised that these new private monopolies exploit consumers with excessive charges.
Seven hospitals in NSW and SA were privatised, but then reverted to public ownership because of poor services and high costs.
The NSW government sold Port Botany and Port Kembla to the same buyer, making competition between the two ports impossible. The result was increased rental charges of up to 400%.
The efficient Newcastle container port has been privatised, with a cap placed on its container business in order to protect Port Botany. That is real crony capitalism.
To top it off, the NSW government sold off the Land Titles Office which underpins the whole property system in NSW. It was no surprise when we learned that the new owner attempted to increase some land title fees by 1900%
Other privatisations are attempted through the back door. The federal government says that it will not privatise the ABC despite its federal council proposing just that. Instead the government is cutting funds to the ABC at the behest of Rupert Murdoch and the Institute of Public Affairs that he and Gina Rinehart fund. Further the ABC is subject to continual harassment and intimidation by ministers.
In similar fashion the NSW government says that it will not sell National Parks but starves them of funds to force commercialisation to benefit its political mates.
A major privatisation mess has of course been in electricity generation and distribution. As Tim Colebatch has reported in Inside Story, electricity prices have soared 187% since 2000. He commented ‘the privatisation and deregulation of gas and electricity has failed consumers’

Ooohh….don’t forget toll roads and privatised public transport Andy.

Some scorchers in there.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:02pm
blackers wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Vote 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeH1Y1MFqc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Malcolm Roberts received 77 first preference votes in 2019. That the bloke is even allowed into the House is a travesty.

He will get loads now. One of the only people standing up for rights of the people who did not wish to be jabbed.
I just don’t know if I’m voting for 1 nation or UAP. The majors will be dead last giving every independent a fighting chance.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:07pm

@ Blowin
I think the Greens aspect might come from dental care question, maybe first time i answered somewhat agree next time i think i answered neutral.

Its about the only Greens policy i kind of agree with.

@ Sheepdog

I answered honestly as possible and those are the results, im surprised to be honest i thought i would have come in much further to he right socially. economically its where id expect to sit.

I think its because im pretty much neutral on questions about things like abortion.

BTW. Im super pro women in politics, i actually think they actually make better leaders in a lot of cases than men, for instance of all the Labor leaders going back to Hawk, id take Gillard over the rest

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:06pm

"And WTF is with this 17% Greens shit???...."

Hahaha, you have heard of renewable energy yea? (actually don't answer that)

Good on ya for having a go by doing the Vote Compass survey though.

I did the VC thing a few days ago, but didn't save it, but I remember clearly where I sat on the compass after answering "as honestly as possible"...

vc2022

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:10pm

.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:12pm

Labor has indicated that its proposed national anti-corruption commission will be given powers to investigate misconduct retrospectively. Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus has indicated that the commission is likely to have the power to investigate corruption or misconduct that is alleged to have occurred up to 15 years ago. Dreyfus adds that politicians and public servants could face scrutiny even if they are no longer in public office.

The anti-corruption commissions in NSW and Victoria also have retrospective powers.

From The Age:

Unlike the Coalition, Labor has promised to create an integrity body with retrospective powers, meaning it could examine decisions taken before the commission came into being.

Shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus said in an interview there was “every reason” to believe Labor’s integrity commission would investigate alleged misconduct conduct that occurred 10 to 15 years ago – especially if the politicians or public servants in question remain in senior positions.

“Once the commission is established, not only will the commissioners be able to respond to allegations that occurred in the past – it might be that they occurred a long time ago,” he said.

A 15-year time span would cover the end of John Howard’s prime ministership, as well as decisions made under successors Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, Tony Abbott, Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison.

“There is no barrier to Labor’s commission looking into the past,” Dreyfus said. “It will entirely be a matter for the commissioners to decide upon.”

Labor’s proposed anti-corruption commission could pose a serious problem for the Coalition, which has featured in many instances of alleged corruption over its nine years in office.

Accordingly, Transparency International has recorded a stunning decline in Australia’s Corruption Perceptions Index over the Coalition’s term:

Corruption perceptions index


Earlier this week, Teal candidates backed an even stronger anti-corruption commission that would have the power to start its own investigations, conduct its hearings in public and investigate wrongdoings retrospectively, and examine the misuse of public funds “for political or private gain”.

This came as the Coalition has targeted 10 marginal seats with almost $3 billion worth of pork over this election campaign. This includes some $500 million worth of spending pledges in the Tasmanian seat of Bass, which is held by Liberal MP Bridget Archer on a margin of just 0.4%. Other Coalition-held seats that have benefited from the government’s pork barreling include Lindsay in NSW and Leichhardt in Queensland, as well as Labor-held seats such as McEwen in Victoria.

In contrast, Labor has pledged to spend only $1 billion in 10 of the most marginal seats.

While all governments make spurious decisions, it is hard to deny that this Coalition government is the most corrupt in modern history.

Only a warts-and-all anti-corruption commission like Labor has proposed can prevent such corruption in the future. It’s time to drain the swamp.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:09pm

Could we even dare to dream about Scummo and his band of thieves going to gaol for their corruption?

Oh what a day that would be!

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:11pm
DudeSweetDudeSweet wrote:

Greens are far right on the most impactful economic metrics. They are far right on the most impactful environmental metric whilst they’re at it. Not so much of a suprise that your beliefs align with theirs Indo. Probably the only difference is the pronouns you’d use to describe yourself.

Greens are basically ALP with dyed hair. And the ALP is basically LNP with less outward pride in being beholden to corporate masters.

What economic and environment policies of the Greens do you think are far right? A genuine question.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:12pm

This is the first I’ve heard it would be retrospective. Great news

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:12pm
Westofthelake wrote:

"And WTF is with this 17% Greens shit???...."

Hahaha, you have heard of renewable energy yea? (actually don't answer that)

Good on ya for having a go by doing the Vote Compass survey though.

I did the VC thing a few days ago, but didn't save it, but I remember clearly where I sat on the compass after answering "as honestly as possible"...

vc2022

This might surprise you but im pro renewable energy and pro EV's.

The Greens transition to renewables by 2030 is completely unrealistic though, even experts would agree because we dont yet have the capacity to provide a few weeks energy safety net needed.

This aspect was even highlighted in a recent ABC podcast on climate change/fossil fuels/ renewables ect and was the opinion of a number of experts the host talked too

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:16pm

Their stance on immigration.

It’s a neoliberal policy which destroys the environment, wages and living standards for Australians. As long as they support the mass immigration Ponzi scheme- which is overwhelmingly rejected by the electorate- then their position on almost any issue is rendered moot.

Sarah Hanson Young was crying crocodile tears for Koalas a few days ago. Let’s see her reaction when it’s suggested that the best way to protect Koalas is to stop ripping down bush to build houses to accomodate her planned 50 million people living in Australia by 2040.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:19pm
burleigh wrote:
blackers wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Vote 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeH1Y1MFqc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Malcolm Roberts received 77 first preference votes in 2019. That the bloke is even allowed into the House is a travesty.

He will get loads now. One of the only people standing up for rights of the people who did not wish to be jabbed.
I just don’t know if I’m voting for 1 nation or UAP. The majors will be dead last giving every independent a fighting chance.

You mention Malcolm Roberts burleigh.*
Is this really the sort of bloke you think represents your views? A real anti-jab-whack champion of the people eh.

malcolm-roberts

*lol

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:22pm
Westofthelake wrote:
burleigh wrote:
blackers wrote:
burleigh wrote:

Vote 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeH1Y1MFqc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Malcolm Roberts received 77 first preference votes in 2019. That the bloke is even allowed into the House is a travesty.

He will get loads now. One of the only people standing up for rights of the people who did not wish to be jabbed.
I just don’t know if I’m voting for 1 nation or UAP. The majors will be dead last giving every independent a fighting chance.

You mention Malcolm Roberts burleigh.*
Is this really the sort of bloke you think represents your views? A real anti-jab-whack champion of the people eh.

malcolm-roberts

*lol

You act like the majors don’t do shit like this too….. lol you’re a fool.

I’m voting for what’s important to me. Vaccine mandates, un vaxxed travel/re-entering Australia is important to me. I’ll be voting accordingly.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:25pm

"This might surprise you but im pro renewable energy and pro EV's."

I know you are indo, hence the 17%. And yea the Greens 2030 date is ambitious, and even though it might be unrealistic, they are still acting on what many see as the climate situation needing urgent action, sooner rather than later.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:27pm

@DudeSweetDudeSweet

Id expect our corruption index drop also largely has to do with corruption at state levels because it's been under investigation or exposed, Dan Andrews is in an out of investigation by the Anti-corruption Commission like a Yo Yo only last week he was under investigation again..

Those things you would expect would weigh larger on a corruption perception index than aspects that havent been investigated yet.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:30pm

burleigh said "I’m voting for what’s important to me. Vaccine mandates, un vaxxed travel/re-entering Australia is important to me."

Good on you burleigh, your fellow anti-vaxxers would be proud.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:34pm

I'm really hoping we see an ICAC in the future

280062928-4985286368192740-5235505115786824829-n

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:46pm

Indo….I’m under no illusions that Australia hasn’t always been beset by political corruption which has mostly been gentrified and laundered by our culture and our media. One only has to think of the Rum Corps or to read “ Power without glory” to realise you’d be kidding yourself if you believed Australia was ever anywhere approaching squeaky clean.

But the new wave of politics and the rise of the political careerists has brought about a distinctly different form of corruption. A more blatant and unapologetic corruption. Whereas the decades prior to the new millennium were tainted with a denied undercurrent of corruption, there’s now an aura of “Catch me if you can” exhibited by the highest office holders in the land and this is taken as green light for the rest of society to follow suit.

State level corruption is intolerable but this starts at the top. The top is federal politics. Nip it in the bud there and the nation will follow.

Politics is downstream of culture but if you want to change a culture you’ve got to change it by altering the behaviour of the most powerful examples.

Scott Morrison’s smirking nudge and a wink as Australia gets walked down a dark lane to be rolled, is a line in the sand which we can’t back away from.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:41pm
Westofthelake wrote:

burleigh said "I’m voting for what’s important to me. Vaccine mandates, un vaxxed travel/re-entering Australia is important to me."

Good on you burleigh, your fellow anti-vaxxers would be proud.

Fool again, I’m not anti-vax. This is where people like you fail badly. It will show come election time.

I have been and still are being discriminated against because I choose not to take a vaccine that I didn’t need. There a lots of angry people out there. Vaxxed or not.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:43pm
Westofthelake wrote:

burleigh said "I’m voting for what’s important to me. Vaccine mandates, un vaxxed travel/re-entering Australia is important to me."

Good on you burleigh, your fellow anti-vaxxers would be proud.

I’m proud of him for prioritising his freedom whilst most sell their vote for a dollar in their pocket. I don’t agree with who Burleigh is planning to vote for but I very much respect the integrity behind it.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 13 May 2022 at 5:43pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

@DudeSweetDudeSweet

Id expect our corruption index drop also largely has to do with corruption at state levels because it's been under investigation or exposed, Dan Andrews is in an out of investigation by the Anti-corruption Commission like a Yo Yo only last week he was under investigation again..

Those things you would expect would weigh larger on a corruption perception index than aspects that havent been investigated yet.

No, there was a time the states were rotten to the core and Federal politics fairly clean as.

Morrison has changed that dramatically with spending for party political gain on steroids, states now have some sort of accountability for their actions (Andrews being called up is a good example) where as the Feds have zero accountability and zero transparency, down that road is corruption 101.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 6:09pm

Thats what i mean states being investigated for all kinds of things would surely drop the perception index, while if nothing is investigated at a federal level like currently, then its nothing but hearsay until it is, so wouldn't expect to weigh to heavy on a perception index, while if a ICAC thing comes and starts investigating things , then yeah it would have a big effect.

Well that's how i expect it would work most likely on a points style system

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 13 May 2022 at 6:46pm

Indo, considering that you said "Privatisation has also been a positive in most cases" and considering that you've been provided with a pretty decent little list of examples (there are thousands more, I'm sure) that show it's got massive issues around "collusion, price fixing, gouging, nepotism, cronyism, foreign ownership and rampant corruption", I'm genuinely wondering if this has provided any food for thought.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 13 May 2022 at 6:56pm

With slomo’s desperate announcement today that if voted back in he will change and rumours of more leaks about certain ministers playing up , it won’t surprise me if this price doesn’t blow out even more . 74-C6618-E-E82-A-46-F1-A69-C-1056-EB72-F1-D1

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 13 May 2022 at 7:17pm

From the Age comments today …..

“Where was the "bulldozer" when the country was on fire or needed vaccines ordered?”

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 13 May 2022 at 7:23pm
AndyM wrote:

Indo, considering that you said "Privatisation has also been a positive in most cases" and considering that you've been provided with a pretty decent little list of examples (there are thousands more, I'm sure) that show it's got massive issues around "collusion, price fixing, gouging, nepotism, cronyism, foreign ownership and rampant corruption", I'm genuinely wondering if this has provided any food for thought.

Sorry no most of it was opinion based i mean seriously trying to argue selling of the commonwealth bank was not a good thing is crazy, we dont need governments to own banks or airlines or even energy companies or communication companies, we sure dont need government owned business competing against other private business it's just completely pointless.

And where do you draw the line?

Do you want BOM to do surf reports and forecast for free and take over all the cams on surf life saving clubs?

But like i said there are things that ideally shouldn't be privatised, especially areas where a business would have a monopoly, but ideally you want the government to own and run as little as possible.

Again it's funny that the people that are most critical of the government and rarely happy with anything they do always want them to own and control more, its just makes no sense at all.

BTW. Thing's like corruption or price gouging are far more of an issue when a government has a monopoly over one area like say if Telstra (telecom) was still the only communication provider.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 13 May 2022 at 7:57pm

"BTW. Thing's like corruption or price gouging are far more of an issue when a government has a monopoly over one area like say if Telstra (telecom) was still the only communication provider."

I strongly disagree.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 13 May 2022 at 8:08pm

E6-CD2-F93-14-A1-4-D1-F-BFCC-38065392-F80-E

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 13 May 2022 at 8:11pm

Mate how was it opinion based?
Did you read any of it?

Figures for increase of rental prices for ports and increases in electricity prices are not opinion.

As I've said before, you're either not for real or something's not right with you.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 13 May 2022 at 8:25pm

Vote Fox Compass cast tbb adrift-left of centre out in the socially progressive economic zone.
Darwang's Supreme Leader Dutto ceased the moment, launching hypersonic starshot postal ballots.
Saw them whizz by the Chinese Space station but fell short of intended 402kms all at sea target.

Had yer all scared for a minute...All were thinking Dutto's seat was under threat...will you be serious tbb!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300588049/chinese-warship-tracke...

Libs might wanna play their essential ACA Oz Last $10 Postie Wheelie Bin Review!
Interim Report found $10 Postal Fee was too good to be true! Did any get that Postie's Phone number!

1986 : Suzanne Vega...Left of Centre ( Factchecked & more than suitable for Gromz to give it a whirl! )

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 13 May 2022 at 8:30pm

#ScottyTheBulldozer