2022 Election

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 13 Nov 2021 at 7:46am

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 2:43pm

Your currently and often on 4 forums at once….find something productive to do with your life. It’ll do you good.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 3:02pm

.... and what is your excuse and who is your witness @opti as a, you know, devout Christian being on here posting such vile things moderate people like @udo told you to go fuck yourself yesterday? Fair dinkum you seriously are a living breathing example of a religious hypocrite that has turned good people off religion. Which church do you belong to anyway, would be interested in resurching the teachings ... now fuck off

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 3:14pm

Guy Smiley, you often call people muppets and yet you actually are one.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:03pm
Supafreak wrote:

Here you go optimist a nice smiley face that you will happily vote for . 586-DB4-B9-F608-4-FF6-9-CE8-866-AA3781213
link symbol emojis

You have turned into a real fuckin idiot Supa with your lies and bullshit

This family was given protection in Australia on a temporary protection visa's, visa's that are regularly reviewed and if it's found to be safe to return home they most go home, they knew this from day one.

Immigration and courts a numbers of times have found it safe to return home.

They have been in limbo for years trying to fight the decision in court because they don't want to return home, quite obviously pushed by refugee advocates for their own political agendas.

You know this, so stop spreading your bullshit.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:18pm
andy-mac wrote:

Read the below comment from another news paper comments section.... Not my writing but some more inconvenient facts for LNP supporters...

"The myth that is constantly trotted out by the Coalition that they are the better economic managers is patent nonsense.

And the proof:

1) The first time Australia secured triple AAA credit ratings from *all* the international credit ratings agencies was in November 2011 when Labor was in government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-29/fitch-rating-australia/3701752

2) Australia moved from being 15th-largest economy in the world to become the world’s 12th-largest in October 2012 when Labor was in government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-09/australia-now-12th-largest-econom...

There have only ever been two Australian treasurers who have been declared the best in the world by the top economic brains on the planet.

They were both Labor treasurers with the Libs front runner Peter Costello not even making the short list, in fact he wasn’t even a blip on the radar.

One of those honoured was Paul Keating who transformed the Australian economy.

The other was Wayne Swan who was named as one of the most influential economists in the world by Time magazine.

Thanks to Swan's brilliant stewardship during the Global Financial Crisis, Australia was one of only two countries among the 34 OECD countries that did not slide into recession and thanks to the measures he took, the only developed nation which emerged almost unscathed.

World Bank president Robert Zoellick calling it a "significant and deserved" honour, and a "tremendous achievement" and Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz declaring “The Rudd Government’s stimulus package is one of the most impressive economic policies I've seen, ever!”

It’s worth noting that Anthony Albanese has an economics degree from the university of Sydney.

Scott Morrison has a science honours degree. His honours thesis was (wait for it) a “demographical analysis of Christian Brethren assemblies in Sydney”.

Yeah that’ll come in handy (chortle)"

Ha ha we are going back ten years now?

Yeah off course it was a few years of Labor that was responsible for the mining boom and strong economy, cause that's what Labor do right...encourage investment in mining???

Off course it had nothing to do with Howard building up the economy for almost 12 years and encouraging investment in mining.

A cardboard cut out could have done what Krudd did, the hard work was already done.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:16pm

Haha @info, when I saw Supa’s post earlier I thought to myself crikey @info will be onto that later, you didn’t disappoint!!

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:44pm

Off course again FreeMoney, try again. Actually it was a Labor policy to have a mining profits super tax that would have been a massive win for the citizens of Australia. Scrapped by those economic powerhouses the LNP. And while BHP and Rio report increased exports and record profits the LNP rack up the public debt to the tune of trillions. Your an ignorant tool FreeMoney

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:45pm

Putting politics aside for a minute.

It seriously does my head in how people can't understand this situation and the system we have in providing temporary protection.

The media is too blame though, if you asked people on the street i bet 9 out of 10 people would not understand the situation or even know what a Temporary protection Visa is or how it works, the media are just more interested in painting them as hard done by or victims somehow, i guess because its a better story.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:45pm

56-E15-DD6-F1-C5-4-EE9-A147-C0-C0-E56-E883-A

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:47pm

Next thing indo will be saying is the LNP is the reason China buys iron ore .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:52pm

If you asked people on the street about the Biloela family , 9 out of 10 would have said let them stay , not hard to work out who would be in the minority .

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 4:59pm

Tell us exactly what Howard did, what where his policies. He reduced the unemployment rate by redefining employment as 1 hour per week. No structural change to policy.

You listened to the podcast, he flip flopped hard on climate action only to take up the IPA stance in the end.

What are his other great policies. What do you know that the experts and professionals in their field don’t that makes you think that excerpts from the article telling the truth are wrong. What insights into the economy would make you refute that Paul Keating and Wayne Swan aren’t the Australian economic powerhouses that chief economists banks and other leading professionals have lauded them to be. Or is it just your opinion hourly daily yearly

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Here you go optimist a nice smiley face that you will happily vote for . 586-DB4-B9-F608-4-FF6-9-CE8-866-AA3781213
link symbol emojis

You have turned into a real fuckin idiot Supa with your lies and bullshit

This family was given protection in Australia on a temporary protection visa's, visa's that are regularly reviewed and if it's found to be safe to return home they most go home, they knew this from day one.

Immigration and courts a numbers of times have found it safe to return home.

They have been in limbo for years trying to fight the decision in court because they don't want to return home, quite obviously pushed by refugee advocates for their own political agendas.

You know this, so stop spreading your bullshit.

Actually their foreign Australian community embraced them and their efforts they have made to be part of it.

Time and time again we see Australian government not take positive action. It could also be said for the situation that faces Julian Assange's extradition and the now dead indo drug trafficker's . After all they are or were once upon a time Australian citizens, so why so much silence from government on those issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine

compassion don't cost a thing

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:20pm
Supafreak wrote:

If you asked people on the street about the Biloela family , 9 out of 10 would have said let them stay , not hard to work out who would be in the minority .

If you actually explained the situation to them, i doubt many would agree.

They would go oh okay, so they knew from the start then they must go home when safe to do so???...oh they should go home then, there's no reason why they shouldn't is there?

And then i bet they would say...oh i thought they had been resettled here and the government just wanted to send then home for no reason at all.

Most people with half a brain would understand if you bend the rules for one, then what's to stop the rules being bent for everyone else on temporary protection visas???

And then whats the point of even having temporary protection visas if anyone can avoid going home when safe to do so?

Off course you people then say well just give them all permanent resettlement .

If you then just give everyone permanent resettlement even to those that can return home when safe to do so....in effect you just neglecting a whole heap of refugees who will NEVER be able to return home like stateless refugees.

What would you rather?

A: 18K refugees resettled permanently in Australia who can never return home and an additional huge number that can stay in Australia on temporary protection visas until safe to return home.

or

B: 18K refuges resettled in Australia and half of them going home on holidays visiting family etc in 5 years time.

???

Do you honestly think B is a better and a better use of our resettlement quota???

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:28pm
Robwilliams wrote:

Actually their foreign Australian community embraced them and their efforts they have made to be part of it.

So you think processing should be based on popularity???

So if there is two seperate people from the same country on temporary protection visas, and it's been found after 10 years it's safe to return home as the war has ended and government changed and situation improved.

You honestly believe if one person is liked in the community they should be able to stay, while the other might be a great person, but just not that social so dont have a community of people behind them so they should be treated differently and sent home??

Do you really think thats fair?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:27pm

I would prefer in certain cases that the government would listen to the township where this family was living as part of the community instead of being locked up and costing tax payers millions of dollars over many years.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm

See post above:

Tax payers should pay nothing unless they win the case, all expenses including accomodation should be paid by their legal team pushing the case if they fail, and obviously we need reform to the legal system to process things fast and limit appeal to one time only.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm

They weren’t just popular indo , they were contributing and embraced their community something that not all immigrants with the correct visas do . Ive said it before , you have a black heart indo dreaming.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:42pm

Yeah i have a black heart because i believe resettlement should go to actually refugees who can't return home like stateless refugees or highly persecuted groups, instead of people who are actually not classed as refugees anymore because it's safe to return home.

Ignorance is bliss i guess.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:43pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

See post above:

Tax payers should pay nothing unless they win the case, all expenses including accomodation should be paid by their legal team pushing the case if they fail, and obviously we need reform to the legal system to process things fast and limit appeal to one time only.

Says the able bodied person with 3 properties in 2 countries who works less than the average full time worker and collects whatever welfare his wife can rustle up. Are the taxpayers paying for your trips to Indo FreeMoney. You going to pay us back in full seeing as you don’t really need it.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:43pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Read the below comment from another news paper comments section.... Not my writing but some more inconvenient facts for LNP supporters...

"The myth that is constantly trotted out by the Coalition that they are the better economic managers is patent nonsense.

And the proof:

1) The first time Australia secured triple AAA credit ratings from *all* the international credit ratings agencies was in November 2011 when Labor was in government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-29/fitch-rating-australia/3701752

2) Australia moved from being 15th-largest economy in the world to become the world’s 12th-largest in October 2012 when Labor was in government.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-09/australia-now-12th-largest-econom...

There have only ever been two Australian treasurers who have been declared the best in the world by the top economic brains on the planet.

They were both Labor treasurers with the Libs front runner Peter Costello not even making the short list, in fact he wasn’t even a blip on the radar.

One of those honoured was Paul Keating who transformed the Australian economy.

The other was Wayne Swan who was named as one of the most influential economists in the world by Time magazine.

Thanks to Swan's brilliant stewardship during the Global Financial Crisis, Australia was one of only two countries among the 34 OECD countries that did not slide into recession and thanks to the measures he took, the only developed nation which emerged almost unscathed.

World Bank president Robert Zoellick calling it a "significant and deserved" honour, and a "tremendous achievement" and Nobel Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz declaring “The Rudd Government’s stimulus package is one of the most impressive economic policies I've seen, ever!”

It’s worth noting that Anthony Albanese has an economics degree from the university of Sydney.

Scott Morrison has a science honours degree. His honours thesis was (wait for it) a “demographical analysis of Christian Brethren assemblies in Sydney”.

Yeah that’ll come in handy (chortle)"

Ha ha we are going back ten years now?

Yeah off course it was a few years of Labor that was responsible for the mining boom and strong economy, cause that's what Labor do right...encourage investment in mining???

Off course it had nothing to do with Howard building up the economy for almost 12 years and encouraging investment in mining.

A cardboard cut out could have done what Krudd did, the hard work was already done.

Again demonstrating you have idea except what the biased msm of Australia has sold you ...
Deflecting again...
Howard rode Hawke Keating reforms with biggest mining boom in our history. A drovers dig could have run the economy under these circumstances but he along with Costello still left a structural deficit. And with GST became highest taxing govt in our history.
Re: KRudd, well world renowned economic experts will disagree with you, so no offence, but I will go with them over a tradie from Oz....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:49pm
andy-mac wrote:

Again demonstrating you have idea except what the biased msm of Australia has sold you ...
Deflecting again...
Howard rode Hawke Keating reforms with biggest mining boom in our history. A drovers dig could have run the economy under these circumstances but he along with Costello still left a structural deficit. And with GST became highest taxing govt in our history.
Re: KRudd, well world renowned economic experts will disagree with you, so no offence, but I will go with them over a tradie from Oz....

Im going with MSM bias over YouTube opinion piece bias and not even You tubers that get out of their bedrooms.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 5:59pm

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:03pm
Supafreak wrote:

I would prefer in certain cases that the government would listen to the township where this family was living as part of the community instead of being locked up and costing tax payers millions of dollars over many years.

+1 why bring more immigrants in to replace them if they have taken up opportunities and are part of their community in a positive way. Totally pointless other than applying the law to their situation with no possibility of real benefit. I can swap you a dollar for a dollar style. Wasted energy and effort. If politicians talk about inclusion of minorities they should reflect on this.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:00pm

. Jason Clare is going well , every media conference he’s fronted he’s put them in their place .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:05pm
Robwilliams wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

+1 why bring more immigrants in to replace them if they have taken up opportunities and are part of their community in a positive way. Totally pointless other than applying the law to their situation with no possibility of real benefit. I can swap you a dollar for a dollar style. Wasted energy and effort. If politicians talk about inclusion of majorities they should reflect on this.

Okay so you obviously believe its a popularity contest and the person that isn't so social misses out.

So what's the prerequisite.

How many people in he community do you need support from?

10, 20, 50. 100, 500. 1,000, 5,000, 10, 0000???

What about those in an area like a city where there isn't so much of community as such?

Tough luck?

FFS its seriously a good thing you people don't have too much of a say in how these things are run.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:11pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Deflecting again...

Im going with MSM bias over YouTube opinion piece bias and not even You tubers that get out of their bedrooms.

Haha OECD data...
Yeah rightio....

Joseph Stiglitz: Nobel prize winning economist.

Robert Zoellick: President of World Bank

Yeah coupla YouTubers....

Crikey!!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:18pm

Off course you realise Indo there are far more over stayers from Western nations hiding in the cities than any boat arrivals
I’ll just post this screenshot from google search. You can research if you want.
920-AC877-56-AD-4-E79-8186-A678-FB6-FA444

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:22pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Robwilliams wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

+1 why bring more immigrants in to replace them if they have taken up opportunities and are part of their community in a positive way. Totally pointless other than applying the law to their situation with no possibility of real benefit. I can swap you a dollar for a dollar style. Wasted energy and effort. If politicians talk about inclusion of majorities they should reflect on this.

Okay so you obviously believe its a popularity contest and the person that isn't so social misses out.

So what's the prerequisite.

How many people in he community do you need support from?

10, 20, 50. 100, 500. 1,000, 5,000, 10, 0000???

What about those in an area like a city where there isn't so much of community as such?

Tough luck?

FFS its seriously a good thing you people don't have too much of a say in how these things are run.

No it's not a popularity contest. just a storm made in a tea cup about a foreign family thats had a go in the community they have been apart of. Their contribution has be beneficial to that community and should be accessed accordingly and realistically. To they way they have conducted themselves amongst that community. We are talking about a young family not blood thirsty criminals. Showing basic adaptation to a set of laws with leniency and compassion can be relevant to such cases.

Or is that just for people such as Christian Porter? Also with the avoidance shown, Australian people have been excluded from seeing how Australian politics is run. One set of rules for them, and one for us.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:21pm

What do you prefer indo , a family that works , gets involved in its community and makes a positive contribution or a family that rejects the society its in and prefers to live by the rules of its country of origin . As long as they have the correct visa , its all good ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:33pm
seeds wrote:

Off course you realise Indo there are far more over stayers from Western nations hiding in the cities than any boat arrivals

Thats a seperate very different issue, and i havent heard of any high profile case in the media where people are fighting in courts trying to stay when they have no legal right to do so.

I have zero issue with people staying in the community on temporary protection visas, the issue is about this one family that is really a test case for the future..

For instance lets say Labor gets in and Albo gives them a free pass, whats to stop a whole heap of others on TPV's doing the same?

Whats Albo going to say, others dont deserve to stay or just go okay to everyone????

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:30pm
Supafreak wrote:

What do you prefer indo , a family that works , gets involved in its community and makes a positive contribution or a family that rejects the society its in and prefers to live by the rules of its country of origin . As long as they have the correct visa , its all good ?

It's completely irrelevant what people on temporary protection visas do they could be active in the community or a loner, what decides if they continue to stay here or go home is the situation in their home country, if its not safe to return home they stay and their visas and situation gets looked at again in a few years, if its safe to return home, they return home....its very simple.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:54pm

A very simple and inhumane way of treating people and encouraging non positive outcomes.
If we also look at temporally work visas we know they a ripe for exploitation. How is that healthy or positive considering the plight of those concerned. Let alone looking at the christian values so many of our leaders identify with?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murugappan_family_asylum_claims

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 6:47pm
Robwilliams wrote:

A very simple and inhumane way of treating people and encouraging non positive outcomes.
If we also look at temporally work visas we know they a ripe for exploitation. How is that healthy or positive?

Well it’s healthy for the Scott Morrison Party because it keeps wages down.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 7:07pm

Was Christian Porters situation a test case? And if so should it have been a test case?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 8:02pm

Just wondering why you reckon they were on “temporary protection visas” Indo? This class of visa introduced by John Howard’s government, and reinstated by Toons Abbott, A deliberate decision made so the country could abrogate its duty to refugees as per our signature to international treaties. More shitfuckery so they could be seen as “tough on borders”.
On a similar front, the LNP government/s piss poor attitude towards international obligations, including foreign aide, has come back to bite them with the recent Solomon Islands/China deal. Treat people like shit, and they bite back. Condescending maroons.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 9:22pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://twitter.com/squizzstk/status/1517313039577776128?s=21&t=re1Ab-q_.... Jason Clare is going well , every media conference he’s fronted he’s put them in their place .

Penny Wong in WA today the same it will be interesting.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 22 Apr 2022 at 11:07pm

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/this-is-a-joke-farcical-scenes-a...

buy mr Smith a drink if you see him
Sick of walking on eggshells or just sick of being fed bullshit?
Kathrine Deves is not fit to serve let alone talk from a Rsl club.
Makes a mockery of respect that the institution represents. They have never served and never will. Wearing a poppy whilst spreading intolerance and division don't change a thing. If she can't front the media what can she do? pathetic

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 7:57am

In an amazing display of forward thinking, the Labor party who were paranoid about their leader contracting COVID during his campaign, allowed him to go to blues fest and after a stiff booing as nobody wanted to see a politician there, he proceeded to shake as many hands as possible. ….and guess what…he got COVID .
Wow let’s let these guys run a country……their forward planning is second to none….or…..just none.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 8:13am

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 8:30am

Australian taxpayers currently give the Solomons 170 million dollars a year which is more than 10% of their GDP…..not enough for ya supa?….but unlike the Chinese we won’t give their Mao suit lookalike wearing PM a bribe…..now the Chinese will police their people, cut holes in their reef for giant ships, bully their neighbours and take all their fish….he sold his country and people out because he’s a greedy corrupt man and Morrison couldn’t do anything about it but hope other islanders will learn from it.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 8:45am
Optimist wrote:

Australian taxpayers currently give the Solomons 170 million dollars a year which is more than 10% of their GDP…..not enough for ya supa?….but unlike the Chinese we won’t give their Mao suit lookalike wearing PM a bribe…..now the Chinese will police their people, cut holes in their reef for giant ships, bully their neighbours and take all their fish….he sold his country and people out because he’s a greedy corrupt man and Morrison couldn’t do anything about it but hope other islanders will learn from it.

I see you have found someone to blame , good for you .

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 8:43am

Look….Constance B Gibson has made it clear that any concerns about CCP expansion are dog whistling expressions of racist bigotry.

Scott Morrison is just acting on the wisdom from Constance and acknowledging that any thoughts towards security for Australia are racialist and very, very not woke.

It says a lot when I can’t even work up the enthusiasm for a tepid ironic “lol” when pondering our national security under the alternative presented by an ALP government. Sad days indeed.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 8:50am
Optimist wrote:

In an amazing display of forward thinking, the Labor party who were paranoid about their leader contracting COVID during his campaign, allowed him to go to blues fest and after a stiff booing as nobody wanted to see a politician there, he proceeded to shake as many hands as possible. ….and guess what…he got COVID .
Wow let’s let these guys run a country……their forward planning is second to none….or…..just none.

Is there something in the Bible or Christian teaching about bearing false witness, or its bad to bullshit?

Had friends at Bluesfest and most of crowd were stoked Albo was there. See Twitter link below to clear things up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidCampbell73/status/1515898338440511490

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 9:21am
blackers wrote:

Just wondering why you reckon they were on “temporary protection visas” Indo? This class of visa introduced by John Howard’s government, and reinstated by Toons Abbott, A deliberate decision made so the country could abrogate its duty to refugees as per our signature to international treaties. More shitfuckery so they could be seen as “tough on borders”.
On a similar front, the LNP government/s piss poor attitude towards international obligations, including foreign aide, has come back to bite them with the recent Solomon Islands/China deal. Treat people like shit, and they bite back. Condescending maroons.

Like most countries that resettle refugees(not host which is different) Australia has a set yearly quota and tries to give priority to the most needy refugees and refugees that can never return home like stateless refugees.

Its important to ensure that every place is used wisely and not wasted on someone that in years to come can return home, remembering this is the actual aim of most refugees, to return home when safe to do so and rebuild their countries and life's.

Australia has two main systems for refugees, with about 4 different related visas, but basically.

1. Permanent resettlement for those who apply through official avenues UNHCR or direct through Aussie embassy, be it off shore or onshore, as said we try to give priority based on need, this is obviously the best way to manage things.

2. Temporary protection, for those that arrive illegally, these provide people with temporary protection until it's safe to return home, if its no safe to return home they stay.

Yes this is an important aspect of discouraging people from not applying through the correct system, your reward those that do the right thing and discourage those that don't

BTW. The true number of refugees we resettle every year in much higher than our intake indicates, as many come to Australia on family reunion visas, the number of people on TPV's seems to not be released as far as i can see, but 30,000 a year get re accessed and its done i believe every 5 years so in theory thats about 150,000 refugees that get protection in Australia on top of our permeant resettlement quota

Scrap TPV's and there is a hell of a lott of people who will miss out on protection.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 9:16am

Sounded like all the crowd were booing him when I watched but I’m glad he had a crew who liked him there…..
Another thing which concerns me though, is that when a prime minister calls an election, the govt goes into caretaker mode….this then allows the opposition access to all the top secret national security information so they can get up to date on the current status as they may be in charge of the country soon…..it’s the 23 rd and I saw it reported that they haven’t even asked for it yet….no interest?…dont know but it seems pretty slack.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 9:18am

BTW Blackers If you really think anything Australia has done has anything to do with Solomon Islands/China deal then you are extremely naive, the reality is China and many other countries play by different rules to us, we have a long history of helping Solomon Islands and other pacific nations (China much less so), but its totally irrelevant when China can always promise much more than we can and more importantly is willing to pay officials large sums of corruption money to get what they want.

Do you believe we should also provide officials with corruption money???? and out bid China with how much corruption money we are willing to give officials????

Because that's the reality of the game.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at 9:24am
Optimist wrote:

Shit didn't know that, 10% of GDP wow.