Regional NSW - 7 day lockdown, August 15

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Saturday, 14 Aug 2021 at 2:49pm

Just announced a short time ago. Apparently the stay-at-home orders will be in place for a week.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 2:59pm

We simply just got skunked by the electoral cycle. Unlucky that the My Sharona Myley Cyrus invaded our shores when the Libs were in power. They’re okay in the good times, when a hands off approach is fine, but when the Fed Govt needs to take action, they’re hopeless.

Morrison and Hunt have been abject failures. Frydenburg, for acting against his every instinct, maybe just about gets a pass. Cooperation between the states has been miserable.

The Menzies Govt was sleepwalking through the first years of WW2. It took the ALP under Curtin to radically transform foreign and military policy, grab hold of income tax and reform domestic policy on a national level, resulting in an ‘All In’ effort that got us through the war.

Give me Labor in a national emergency any day. They are predisposed to the type of strong central government needed to organise and implement large programs like mass vaccination, getting requisite quarantine facilities built quickly, compensation for individuals and business, and an increase in the capacity of the medical system to respond to outbreaks.

Sure, there would’ve been waste and balls-ups on the way, but we’d be much closer to living with the virus than we are now.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:11pm

Someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

God, dodged a bullet more like it, it would be the recession we had to have take two.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:28pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

BTW. Even the death toll for children is quite high in Indo about 1 in 88 Covid deaths in a child.

"Poverty, Disease, Customs: Why So Many Indonesian Children Die of Covid
The disease kills far more children in developing countries than in rich ones, and some factors make them especially vulnerable in Indonesia."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/14/world/asia/indonesia-children-covid-d...

Such sad loss of life indeed.

Unfortunately your link is a paywall which is a shame as it would be good if Blowin could read that!!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:31pm
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:45pm
adam12 wrote:

In between surfing and fishing, guy goes on internet to rail against the authoritarian state doing his head in. Meanwhile girls in Kabul.....

Puts the privileged lives we all lead into perspective, good one adam.

In other news I see @ info after all of Scott’y reaming is still willing to defend the absolute indefensible.

All this on day one of a seven day Statewide lockdown ..... mmm, sincerely sorry guys you’re going to be lockdown and/or severely restricted in your movements for months not 7 days.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:51pm
donweather wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

BTW. Even the death toll for children is quite high in Indo about 1 in 88 Covid deaths in a child.

"Poverty, Disease, Customs: Why So Many Indonesian Children Die of Covid
The disease kills far more children in developing countries than in rich ones, and some factors make them especially vulnerable in Indonesia."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/14/world/asia/indonesia-children-covid-d...

Such sad loss of life indeed.

Unfortunately your link is a paywall which is a shame as it would be good if Blowin could read that!!

Hmmm thats weird, maybe if article is googled in a different browser, it will be readable the first time i looked at it no paywall, but now it has a paywall sometimes they only let you look once.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 3:57pm

Yeah, Guy. Great point mate. Visiting my parents is a privilege I don’t need or deserve and none of that matters because, you know , girls in Kabul or some such bullshit.

Then in the next sentence you happily state that I shouldn’t expect to be able to freely visit my parents for months to come. But what does that matter…girls in Kabul remember!

Ever stop to wonder how you came to be siding with a Scummo and his corrupt cronies, Guy? Or how you came to defend the unmandated, arbitrary and unscientific draconian impulses of a fascist policeman with too much power ? I wouldn’t have thought that was a natural fit.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 4:12pm

Indo-dreaming, the other heartache for Indo is they have lost many of their frontline Drs and nurses…in the years ahead there will so much more loss of life due to an under qualified and skill lacking health system. Same goes for India and many other 3rd world countries. This is what people like blowin fail to understand.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 4:14pm

Blowin…look in the mirror. In that mirror, is the answer as to why you can’t visit your parents.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 4:19pm

Right now the Least Glamerous Surfboard in the World needs a run....

Go Surf ~Have some time out ......Yew

Goofy4's picture
Goofy4's picture
Goofy4 Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 4:39pm

"Show me the figures of deaths. At least 600 of them have been in aged care. Hundreds more in palliative care, or pre existing and dire hospital situations.Show me the numbers of young healthy ( sub 50 ) people who’ve died........" The simplicity and lack of depth attached to this type of thinking is problematic. Death is not the only significant issue connected with this virus and the scope of long term debilitating health syndromes is still unfolding......The Mayo Clinic, thus far, have found the following:

Although COVID-19 is seen as a disease that primarily affects the lungs, it can damage many other organs as well. This organ damage may increase the risk of long-term health problems. Organs that may be affected by COVID-19 include:
Heart. Imaging tests taken months after recovery from COVID-19 have shown lasting damage to the heart muscle, even in people who experienced only mild COVID-19 symptoms. This may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.
Lungs. The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.
Brain. Even in young people, COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome — a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
Some adults and children experience multisystem inflammatory syndrome after they have had COVID-19. In this condition, some organs and tissues become severely inflamed.

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle. Other parts of the body affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys.

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle.COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle. Other parts of the body affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys
Much is still unknown about how COVID-19 will affect people over time, but research is ongoing. Researchers recommend that doctors closely monitor people who have had COVID-19 to see how their organs are functioning after recovery. Many large medical centers are opening specialized clinics to provide care for people who have persistent symptoms or related illnesses after they recover from COVID-19.

It's not as simple as you get it, recover and are ok or you die.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 4:42pm

@Blowin, you can visit your parents to help them with medical issues, that was covered extensively yesterday above. Have you made an online application to do so yet?

And note I said "we".

Lockdown is and will be tough, I lived through it last year in Melb (and am now in lockdown again) - no family, no friends, no surf, planned overseas and local holidays to visit my direct family all cancelled all the while some of the O/S friends and family got Covid or had to live totally isolated lives in tiny shoe box sized flats to avoid it.

From previous posts you live in a great location, on plenty of beautiful bountiful land on the coast, near good surf and fishing. Fark mate I'm so envious Morning of the Earth stuff, Covid has knocked all those plans for us for 6 we are now priced out forever. You are perfectly entitled to your concerns and opinions but please just a little perspective that's all.

Check this out .... its why the NSW statewide lockdown was never going to be for 7 days

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw-crisis-a-risk-to-hopes-of-opening...

Cheers mate, its my shout

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 7:27pm

question guysmiley... considering you've lived through considerable lockdowns...

is it all worth it?

the first six months of this stuff it undoubtably was, but considering australia's 'plan' from here, ie, pursuing the pipedream of zero covid... is it worth living like this for another 2-3 years? ...constantly dropping in and out of lockdowns... restrictions... no overseas travel... families seperated... citizens locked out and in...

and when I ask this, my main motivation is not that I feel stifled by restrictions, it is that, I believe as a country australia is going to go through all these endless morphing restrictions, loads of hardship, massive economic costs (incurred by an already previously bitter bunch of millenials etc...) ...combating variant after variant of virus, only to eventually come to the conclusion, that it was all futile... and eventually we will accept that we indeed 'need to learn to live with covid'

at that point, there is going to be some incredibly grumpy, 'I told you so', not happy campers...

incredibly grumpy!

(not me)

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 7:34pm

Found a loop hole for those in NSW wishing to see their relos and friends visit.

Put your house on the market.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 7:47pm

“ question guysmiley... considering you've lived through considerable lockdowns...

is it all worth it?”. - sypkan

As someone who lives in an area that is classed as regional Victoria except when we’re in FUCKING LOCKDOWNS then we’re suddenly part of Melbourne I’d say no it’s definitely not worth living like this for another 2-3 years.
The only way I can see us ever getting back to some kind of normality is having mostly everyone vaccinated.
I’m so so over this shit, and I’m one of the lucky ones re my employment. I’ve been able to work most of the time.
If I was in hospitality or any other industry severely affected by this I seriously don’t know what life would look like right now. I feel so sorry for anyone in that situation. Just hope people can see some light at the end of the tunnel. We’ve got a baby due in a week, I want it to grow up and enjoy life, not live like fucking prisoners.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:21pm

Hope all goes well with the impending birth Goof.

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:24pm

Goofy,

As a resident of the MP, which has no recorded cases, I have to agree.

Wifey and I are both retired so there is no direct impact on our income, but my heart goes out to those who through no fault of their own have hade the chance of a reasonable future taken away from them.

I’ll be 68 soon, so I’m a lot closer to the end than the beginning and I’d like to make the most of every day I have left. I don’t drink or smoke and lead a healthy lifestyle . I don’t need to be saved, I don’t want to be saved but Andrews & Co seem to have appointed themselves as the saviours of all Victorians.

My view is get vaccinated and once you are, you should be free to move about: just wear a mask in crowded spaces. Use some common sense.

Covid in a variety of forms will be around for many years, so there is no point in shutting everything down when two or three people become infected. The economic cost, billions upon billions of dollars will be borne by taxpayers for the next 30 years. Then there is the mental cost of lockdowns, I know of two people who have taken their own life so great was their despair. Andrew’s won’t talk about that though. The new Police State pisses me off as well. Cops were setup in Shoreham last Friday interrogating motorists and issuing warnings.

Strangely enough we are not allowed to travel to surf but we can visit a bottle shop and load up, go home and drink yourself into oblivion. Maybe go for a drive to Woolies and wipe out an innocent pedestrian along the way.

I have had a gutful and so have most of the people I speak to.

Also, according to the ABS, in 2019, 21 people died as a result of falling out of bed. Should Dan be forcing us to sleep on the floor?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 8:41pm

A salty dog, sorry to hear about the two people you know.
Another thing that’s driving me insane is the language Andrew’s and Co use during their press conferences and updates. I can’t handle seeing his head anymore.
I’m making a point of staying away from news websites, not watching tv, newspapers etc.
Hope you get a few waves asap.

Cheers zen. Hopefully I’m allowed in the hospital

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 9:24pm

Hi Goofy,

I had enough of the news as well, and sick of the sight of any politician it their hangers on.

As far as surf goes I just noticed Cape Sorrell has hit 14 meters.

Might have to run the gauntlet tomorrow!

Best wishes for a healthy bouncing Bub!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 15 Aug 2021 at 10:37pm

@sypkan, we each come to that question with our own biases, story and current circumstances. What do I or any of us really know but I think lockdowns have been forced upon us given gross failures mostly by the Federal Govt in pandemic planning, border control, remote quarantining and vaccination. I understand why otherwise healthy 16-50 year olds would also be filthy on lockdowns and the vaccination process. Do I think it worthwhile? Personally, me and my family have suffered +/- but I remain a supporter but I do want an electoral consequence for those most obvious and indefensible gross failings come the next federal election. If Morrison walks away with a win at the next election after the last two years there is absolutely no hope for the country. There is light at the end of the tunnel however as my overseas based family and friends are now fully vaccinated and are now free to travel to many European countries and are doing so. Maybe mid next year we will be in the same situation.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 7:28am

I agree lockdowns are reaching their expiry date. I’d be furious to have them thrown away now because that means throwing away all the past hard work, but come December I suspect there will be millions of Australians like me who will flick the switch and demand to let it rip

tasting emoticons

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 7:29am
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 7:38am

Simba,

That could be Melbourne next Friday.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 7:56am

This morning is fifty days in lockdown!

Huge thank you to everyone who made this such a special day.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 8:13am
shoredump wrote:

I agree lockdowns are reaching their expiry date. I’d be furious to have them thrown away now because that means throwing away all the past hard work, but come December I suspect there will be millions of Australians like me who will flick the switch and demand to let it rip

Agree i think this is how most Aussies would think including me, I think there is only a few more months that people can take lockdowns and a hard international border closure etc.

I think it's almost a blessing in disguise if NSW cant get things under control, pushes up vaccination rates and lots of Pfizer now landing, and means will be an easier decision about loosening border control measures and hopefully move to a more relaxed home quarantine type deal like some countries in Europe, this would be harder if we remain totally Covid free.

Let's remember the most vulnerable have had plenty of opportunity to be vaccinated with AZ, and protecting them has always been the main goal, sure cant keep Covid out forever and do lockdowns forever and fark i want to go back to Indo.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 8:29am

Just a bit longer, we shut down music festivals and nightclubs on the kids to protect the old, they are well aware of the initial medical advice for their age group on AZ, we can’t just say ok us oldies are protected now so let it rip. Everyone needs their turn at defending themselves. A couple more months and it’s job done

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 9:04am

Shoredump, are are certain about that?

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/mark-mcgowan-holds-tough-ze...

120 odd years ago the colonies couldn't even agree on a uniform railway gauge. Seems like nothing has changed.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 9:35am

Yeah, I’m 100% certain that once we’ve all been given a chance to get vaccinated that that is all we can reasonably do and I will flick the switch on my stance on lockdowns

Maybe there will be a need for a cautious approach so as not to overwhelm the health system, which I would also support. Needs to be a steady and reasonably fast movement towards fully reopening everything though

Scommo went on the record saying as much, here’s hoping those separatists in WA play along

A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog's picture
A Salty Dog Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 10:24am

Shoredump,

Dan and the other premiers would win a few fans back if they allowed fully vaccinated people freedom of movement. That would encourage more people to be vaccinated. The proviso is that a mask be worn in crowded situations.

However given the predisposition of many to basically ignore the rules, it will not happen anytime soon.

The efforts to deal with Covid have been an absolute shambles at all levels.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 10:40am

I agree, the most obvious choice in strategy to cautiously open up so we don’t overwhelm the health system is to protect the most vulnerable to the virus, which is now the unvaccinated. They’d be the best ones to constrict movements, for a little while longer anyway

They will again argue they don’t want protecting totally unaware it’s not them being protected, just like last time

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:05am
A Salty Dog wrote:
Shoredump,

Dan and the other premiers would win a few fans back if they allowed fully vaccinated people freedom of movement. That would encourage more people to be vaccinated. The proviso is that a mask be worn in crowded situations.

Wouldn't hold your breath. Catherine Bennet saying on the radio this morning that it's probably fully vaccinated asymptomatic people who are responsible for spreading the Delta in Melbourne. I could see Dan imposing tougher restrictions on fully vaccinated people - until everyone's vaccinated. This thing is the full Gordian Knot.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:33am

"NSW recorded seven deaths and a record high 478 new local Covid cases to 8pm last night. "Tragically, since that time, we also had that eighth death of [a] very young teenager," says Gladys Berejiklian. Only 97 of those 478 news cases were isolating throughout their infectious period."

Note that last sentence.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:43am

The young bloke died of meningitis. It was pure coincidence and unrelated to his positive Covid test.

Why are the media so determined to qualify every death as a Covid death? If it’s as bad as they say there’s no need to exaggerate and lie.

A man in his 80s from south-west Sydney who died at Campbelltown Hospital and was not vaccinated;
A man in his 40s from south-west Sydney who died at Liverpool Hospital. He had severe underlying health conditions and was not vaccinated;
A woman in her 70s from Sydney’s northern suburbs who died at Royal North Shore Hospital;
A woman in her 80s from Sydney’s inner west who died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. She was a resident of the Wyoming aged care at Summer Hill and is the third death linked to the facility. She was not vaccinated;
A man in his 70s from south-west Sydney who died at Liverpool Hospital. He was a patient in the geriatric ward at the hospital and is the eighth death linked to the hospital’s outbreak. He had received one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine;
A man in his 80s from south-west Sydney died at Campbelltown Hospital. He was not vaccinated and had a number of co-morbidities;
A man in his 80s from western Sydney died at Nepean Hospital. He was not vaccinated and also had a number of underlying health conditions.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:50am

Hey Swellnet crew.
If your objective was to make this forum a platform for man-karen covid conspiracy theorists, Mission Accomplished.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 11:54am

"I think it's almost a blessing in disguise if NSW cant get things under control, pushes up vaccination rates and lots of Pfizer now landing, and means will be an easier decision about loosening border control measures and hopefully move to a more relaxed home quarantine type deal like some countries in Europe, this would be harder if we remain totally Covid free."

reality is, it's going to happen sooner or later...

but...

"I agree lockdowns are reaching their expiry date. I’d be furious to have them thrown away now because that means throwing away all the past hard work, but come December I suspect there will be millions of Australians like me who will flick the switch and demand to let it rip"

it's super hard to throw away all that invested energy. but you can't hold on forever... bit like a bad stock that's lost value... sometimes it's just better to let it go, easier said than done...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/08/13/why-its-time-to-move-on-from-co...

game has changed... vaccinations definitely not an abject failure, but a little too much wishful thinking and all eggs in one basket...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:18pm

even the terribly compromised crew at 'the atlantic' are conceding... or accepting reality...

"...But then what? Delta is transmissible enough that once precautions are lifted, most countries “will have a big exit wave,” Adam Kucharski, an infectious-disease modeler at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, told me. As vaccination rates rise, those waves will become smaller and more manageable. But herd immunity—the point where enough people are immune that outbreaks automatically fizzle out—likely cannot be reached through vaccination alone. Even at the low end of the CDC’s estimated range for Delta’s R0, achieving herd immunity would require vaccinating more than 90 percent of people, which is highly implausible. At the high end, herd immunity is mathematically impossible with the vaccines we have now.

This means that the “zero COVID” dream of fully stamping out the virus is a fantasy. Instead, the pandemic ends when almost everyone has immunity, preferably because they were vaccinated or alternatively because they were infected and survived. When that happens, the cycle of surges will stop and the pandemic will peter out. The new coronavirus will become endemic—a recurring part of our lives like its four cousins that cause common colds. It will be less of a problem, not because it has changed but because it is no longer novel and people are no longer immunologically vulnerable. Endemicity was always the likely outcome—I wrote as much in March 2020. But likely is now unavoidable. “Before, it still felt possible that a really concerted effort could get us to a place where COVID-19 almost didn’t exist anymore,” Murray told me. “But Delta has changed the game.”..."

"...Finally, the U.S. simply needs more time to reach unvaccinated people. This group is often wrongly portrayed as a monolithic bunch of stubborn anti-vaxxers who have made their choice. But in addition to young children, it includes people with food insecurity, eviction risk, and low incomes. It includes people who still have concerns about safety and are waiting on the FDA’s full approval, people who come from marginalized communities and have reasonable skepticism about the medical establishment,.."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619726/

"...At the high end, herd immunity is mathematically impossible with the vaccines we have now.

This means that the “zero COVID” dream of fully stamping out the virus is a fantasy...' !!!!!

oz could continue to strive for it's covid free bubble I guess... but that would mean treating the rest of the whole world as a leper colony, and locking ourselves away for years and years...

to what end? and to protect what percentage of the population?

it's hard numbers reality time...

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:26pm

“it's super hard to throw away all that invested energy. but you can't hold on forever... bit like a bad stock that's lost value... sometimes it's just better to let it go, easier said than done...”

Better to let it go?
I couldn’t disagree more with this, it’s very selfish

The young gave up so much over the last 18 months to protect the old. It’s now time for the old and vaccinated (me) to give up their freedoms, to protect the young

There are plenty of people still in the queue, the job isn’t done yet

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:28pm
Westofthelake wrote:

"NSW recorded seven deaths and a record high 478 new local Covid cases to 8pm last night. "Tragically, since that time, we also had that eighth death of [a] very young teenager," says Gladys Berejiklian. Only 97 of those 478 news cases were isolating throughout their infectious period."

Note that last sentence.

0-B7-EF361-BA38-42-EC-9-C2-C-3-D29-BFEC8-F54

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:55pm

Yep the claytons lockdown of 7 weeks has come to an end . Instead of a ring of steele around Sydney as was suggested by other premiers and go hard early , we now have areas with zero cases locked down . Insanity doesn’t come close to describing this response from leadership at state and federal governments. And let’s blame the public for doing the wrong thing not the people calling the shots . Are they going to continue counting case numbers when 70 -80 % are vaccinated ? Look forward to hearing the praise scumo will give his team at xmas .

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:10pm

Melbourne has just had its lockdown extended by 2 weeks with a curfew from 9pm-5am, further workplace restrictions introduced and greater Police enforcement promised for rule breakers. Masks must be worn everywhere outdoors.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:15pm

Any workers that live in Qld and travel back and forth across the border for work, even if essential workers must now have had at least 1 vaccination shot in order to continue.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:32pm

Outdoor masks?

WTF?

Whatever happened to “follow the science”? Then again, this is the state who thought the evil genius virus was particularly cunning after the sun went down. So much so that they imposed nighttime curfew over millions of grownups.

No , seriously. This happened. I’m not making it up. Nighttime curfews was a thing. The sun has gone down , Stay in your house like naughty children.

Oh wait….the curfew is back !

Totally not authoritarian.

People have been so brainwashed by fear propaganda that they don’t dare question an unbelievably outrageous imposition on their human rights. There is no scientific/ medical just for outdoor masks or curfew. People have been conned into thinking that foresaking their human rights and dignity is in exchange for being safe but their safety has nothing at all to do with being locked in their houses after dark. Nor does their safety have anything to do with wearing a mask outside. The authoritarian rule has won….the population has been cowed and will submit to any impost.

The most basic human right is freedom and this has been taken with impunity. The worst bit is that a lot of people seem to think this destruction of human rights is somehow something they deserve and something they should accede to voluntarily. The snitches and bitches will pressure their fellow citizens to accept this in silence.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:37pm

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:40pm

Let me explain something to you nice and slowly blowin.
Night time curfews are back because lots of people were throwing night time parties in Victoria. Nobody wants curfews, but they are a way to help stop super spreader events.
Nobody wants lockdowns, but the alternative for Victoria is the current shit show in NSW.
You and your fellow anti-lockdown travellers are a menace. Nothing but a bunch of horse-punching, loopy, selfish Karens and Man-Karens who have zero regard for anyone but themselves.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 1:46pm

In a well functioning coherent society we not only have rights but responsibilities ie to do the right thing when asked, sadly in Vic atm too many aren’t obeying Covid directions.

Now if the NSW govt had acted more like the Vicco govt 7 weeks ago 1/2 the fucking country wouldn’t be in lockdown right now.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:27pm

""Better to let it go?
I couldn’t disagree more with this, it’s very selfish

The young gave up so much over the last 18 months to protect the old. It’s now time for the old and vaccinated (me) to give up their freedoms, to protect the young

There are plenty of people still in the queue, the job isn’t done yet"

I probably worded that wrong...

I don't mean throw the baby out with the bathwater. I mean time to let some long held security blanket positions go. positions and actions that make us feel better, especially when that was all we had... all we knew... but positions that have now become more about dogma and tribalism than anything else

lots of new information out there

and, as the articles state, delta has totally changed the game

and the rest of the world is doing nothing like what we are... they are living!

I don't really get what you mean by '...It’s now time for the old and vaccinated (me) to give up their freedoms, to protect the young...'

the young will be fine... generally... it's the 30 year bill of resentment that they need us to protect them from... its already projected as a 30 year bill, imagine if we continue this shit for another two years... it'll be a 50 year covid bill... that's some twisted shit, to protect a small small percentage of the currently vulnerable

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:23pm

'horse punching' ...haha...

never let the truth get in the way of your own selfish agenda...

you should work for cnn

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 2:35pm

Hahaha, yeah, he only sees what he wants to hear.

Just like his beloved socialist Dan turning farms into camp grounds.....you just couldn't script this shit.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 3:00pm

How's the half arsed lockdown working out in NSW you blokes? And you're crying about that being too tough. NSW is looking at 1000+ cases a day by the end of August and then 2000+ a day by mid September under the current trends with the current restrictions. And that's being very conservative.
It doesn't take a genius to work out what would happen in Australia if you muppets got your way with lockdowns.
Seriously, fuck you lot. You're a danger to public health and the economy. cunts like you are making life miserable for so many good people working in hospitals and small businesses.