Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 9:31am

Hear hear !

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 10:42am

I will give it a go .

When we were 15 , three of us ( still best friends) camped at New Brighton near the soccer field in the May holidays , The year before we did the same and made a tent from clear plastic and masting tape . The first night we had 10 inches of rain .

So we decided to be prepared and asked the scout troop in Mullum to borrow one of theirs . It was big ( 8 by 4 meters ) and had a fly . We had real beds and all the other luxuries .

Of course it did not rain . Perfect weather for the whole week . It might have been a La Nina as we had perfect 4-6 ft waves the whole week and off shores all day . Unreal !

We did the same the next year expecting the same . Of course the weather and surf was crappy the whole week .

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 10:54am

Business as usual - another example of how big business lobby groups corrupt the political process.
All pollies know that if they toe the line, there're huge financial benefits waiting after time in parliament is over.

#delayedbribes

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/wayne-swan-to-take-the-reins-at-cbu...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 6:27pm

"Week in, week out, we are treated to whining by the leaders of Australia’s business lobby. Taxes are too high, wages are too high, government debt is too high; these are the common refrains.

We see them on the ABC, we see them on Sky “News”. They are all over the press, pontificating to politicians and anybody who will listen how Australians should conduct their affairs.

But where are they now, where are they on the issue of the biggest transfer of wealth in history, a transfer of almost $100 billion in JobKeeper subsidies from ordinary Australians to business, much of it to big business which did not need it to survive?"

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/jobkeeper-shame-and-the-collapse-of-busin...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 6:44pm

What about the government’s cash bonus payment?

The third largest government expense in Australia’s history and you’ve probably never even heard of it unless you were a recipient. Almost $36B handed out to business no questions asked.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 7:09pm

Ive been looking into these payments as they come out hoping i can get some free cash, but all the ones ive seen havent been no questions asked they have all had prerequisites that need to be met.

I actually just got another email from my accountant today for a another one.

This ones called

"Small Business COVID Hardship Fund.

Victorian small to medium businesses that have been severely impacted by the latest lockdown may be eligible for a once-off payment of $14,000.

To be eligible your business must have:

Been severely impacted by COVID restrictions that have been in place between 27 May 2021 and August 2021

Experienced a minimum 70% reduction in turnover due to the restrictions

Are ineligible for other Victoria Government business grant programs that have been offered since 27 May 2021"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 8:20pm

Everyone still certain that Australia isn’t trending towards authoritarianism?

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/australia-surveillance-bill/

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 1 Sep 2021 at 11:09pm

Yeah I saw that today.

That apple isn’t tasting so sweet anymore either -

https://edwardsnowden.substack.com/p/all-seeing-i

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 11:38am

You would have to vote for Rex Patrick wouldn't you?

"Senate demand for JobKeeper data escalates to threat of fines or jail for ATO boss"

"Senator Rex Patrick has led a push for more information about JobKeeper recipients, moving two successful Senate orders requiring the ATO boss to hand over data about payments to all companies with a turnover greater than $10 million.

Some public (ASX-listed) companies have returned JobKeeper payments in the wake of the corporate regulator, ASIC, requiring them to publish details of how much they received, but the same requirement does not apply to private firms."

"As the table below shows, $4.6 billion in JobKeeper wage subsidies were sent to firms that saw their revenues rise in the first three months of the program alone."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-03/ato-boss-threatened-jail-if-doesn...

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 11:48am

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 3:59pm

Best friend and Instagram show Steven Marshall's Stasi app. superfluous.
And these are, in the modern context, the best and brightest amongst us.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9953911/Daniel-Andrews-rea...

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Friday, 3 Sep 2021 at 11:27pm

Read this and cry...

Shamelessness is the only currency this government knows

"It’s getting all a bit much, isn’t it? The sheer, maddening, shamelessness of this Government? Their incompetence, their venality, their insulting refusal to acknowledge realities that we see with our own eyes, their denial of past statements that we heard with our own ears, their base bleak morality that seeps into our bones.

It’s dispiriting, it’s exhausting, and above all it’s endless. There is literally no end to the depths to which they sink."

https://theshot.net.au/opinion-news/shamelessness-is-the-only-currency-t...

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 8:36am

I focus - that's a bit harsh on Dan Andrews, but close enough to the truth here in Vic.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 10:40am

Can’t get into hospital and are wondering who to blame?

Australian Medical Association (AMA) Victorian president, Roderick McRae, was quoted extensively over the weekend in The Age (here and here) warning that Victoria’s hospitals were already overrun pre-COVID, suffering from a decade of extreme population growth and a lack of funding. This, in turn, has left the health system in a precarious position to cope with COVID outbreaks:

Australian Medical Association state president Dr Roderick McRae says Victoria’s healthcare system had been in “dire straits” long before the pandemic hit.

Hospitals have been underfunded for years, he says, leading to bed and staffing shortages…

Victoria now has more patients than ever before and they are sicker…

McRae says: “We’ve seen the population [growth] in Melbourne double in the last 10 to 12 years and the bed numbers and hospital services just haven’t kept up. The pandemic has just further exposed every hole that was already there”…

“In a way we’ve got away with it, but COVID has ripped all of the clothes off, so it is standing there naked … it’s extremely likely we will fall short of what we wished we’d been able to provide.”

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 10:51am

Yep, the hospitals in our region do a really good - lifesaving - job all that above considered. Shout them a wave. Not immune to mad population growth now in the regions, 120,000 people going into Armstrong - but it has been matched with a new hospital.

I was in on the day of the dust storm and condition brown where some of the metro hospitals had a very large influx of asthma events, that opened the eyes a bit.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 11:32am
D-Rex wrote:

I focus - that's a bit harsh on Dan Andrews, but close enough to the truth here in Vic.

Sounding like Morrison there Rex nice work, sadly I think Morrison will get another term he is certainly one of the better political actors that I have seen for a very long time only matched by lack of vision and effective action barring throwing free money at corporations and ripping into low wage earners.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm

E5-A1-DF41-E887-459-E-AD5-D-A346-D76754-B7

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 2:38pm

Classic GuySmiley. Getting rid of O'Brien is a deadset mercy killing.
The only funny thing about this whole situation is, Guy, Smith, Newbury and Crozier actually think they'd do a better job than Mr 15%.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm

Just checked Dbar web cam for a virtual surf . Only 2 guys in the water ! Must be a first on an ok day . I hope the reason is not shark related !

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 3:07pm

Sorry. Just popping in for a victory lap before i avoid these threads.
So Hutch19, DREX and Roadkill seem to really have it in for me.
I couldn't hope to have a better bunch of dropkicks to not like me.
That's a win in my books.
I wonder if anyone will be left on these threads in a month or so. Can't imagine too many crew can be bothered putting up with this, considering the majority of posters on here are highly intellectual and actually post well researched and reasoned posts.
Anyway, i'll happily bow out til the floor is clear of these pests.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 6 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
Vic Local wrote:

Classic GuySmiley. Getting rid of O'Brien is a deadset mercy killing.
The only funny thing about this whole situation is, Guy, Smith, Newbury and Crozier actually think they'd do a better job than Mr 15%.

At least Millhouse seems honest, Guy dodgy as, how he never faced a judicial inquiry over the rezoning of Fisherman’s Bend I’ll never know and as for Smith, he’s all ambition and no substance, they are toast.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 10:37am

Oh no! Stop the presses! Johnny-come-lately BD is exiting the forums! The level of intellectual debate will forever be diminished and all we SN contributors are left to do is express our eternal gratitude for your humble, balanced and articulate views which have elevated this site to a new level. You'll be sadly missed.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 11:40am

Cya BD, it's been good to chat, maybe one day in real life on the South Coast. Haven't been on the forums too much myself, actually got some things done :)

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 12:30pm

Cheers BD, I’ve found I have to limit my exposure here, it’s been a bit overtaken for sure.

Where are you currently VJ? Would love to catch up one day if I’m ever passing by.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm
bluediamond wrote:

Sorry. Just popping in for a victory lap before i avoid these threads.
So Hutch19, DREX and Roadkill seem to really have it in for me.
I couldn't hope to have a better bunch of dropkicks to not like me.
That's a win in my books.
I wonder if anyone will be left on these threads in a month or so. Can't imagine too many crew can be bothered putting up with this, considering the majority of posters on here are highly intellectual and actually post well researched and reasoned posts.
Anyway, i'll happily bow out til the floor is clear of these pests.

OK BD, we probably all need a rest.......I think we have all become quite fatigued with Covid and the discussion between the vaccinated/unvaccinated.
It's quite clear now that NSW/Vic will have a Covid bubble and the rest of the Country a Covidless bubble. Vaccinations is the only strategy in play now....politicians are now at each other for political purposes....they don't give a flying F#uck about the people...and that Liberal and labor same bunch...
We will see a fight break out when everybody realizes that Australia has been cutting back it's health services for decades , and we the people will pay the price with overloaded health services....so the real shit fight is yet to come.....so see ya on the other side BD!

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 1:24pm

BD - you could just not read my posts . Why miss out on all the good stuff you like on this site . I am sure everyone else will work out that so I don't think Stu will need to worry about others leaving .

Don't take things so personally ! I would guess you are a nice bloke . It is only your comments and abuse that I don't like .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 3:46pm
Hutchy ....Don't take things so personally ! I would guess you are a nice bloke . It is only your comments and abuse that I don't like .[/quote wrote:

Hutchy .....I am with BD...just because you don't like someones comments and their abuse....FFS....you are nonsensical sometimes.......time for me to have a break from SN....the neighbourhood has taken it's toll........

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 4:09pm

Brutus - I have decided to take a break from responding to any posts you write ( including those directed at me ) . If you want to , you can tell BD I will also do the same to him . I will not be taking a break from SN .

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 5:16am

Totally not authoritarian

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/nsw-health-limits-resident...

Locked in a building whether sick or not and having their mail rifled through and items confiscated. Limits on alcohol.

Completely normal and acceptable way to treat innocent citizens.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 8:26am

Jeez, you’d be looking to test that in court wouldn’t you?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 8:57am

Hutchy……..still bouncing around upsetting the locals. You’re a funny fella aren’t you.

Do you own a surfboard?

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Friday, 10 Sep 2021 at 9:32am

4 wetdog/soggybrain .

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 2:10pm

labor really cannot win a single trick...

"“huge failure for Labor on diversity”.

"Diversity, equality and multiculturalism can’t just be a trope that Labor pulls out and parades while wearing a sari and eating some Kung Pao chicken to make ourselves look good,” she told the ABC on Saturday."

scathing...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/11/anne-aly-says-lab...

why you'd boot that highly competent (local) chick out for keneally i do not know...

well I do actually... keneally has the right 'look'... which is irony off the scales... and shows just how superficial and desperate contemporary labor truly are...

keneally also has the midas portaloo touch...

ie. everything she touches turns to poo

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm

Who cares about this stuff - Melbourne's in the granny!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 2:41pm
D-Rex wrote:

Who cares about this stuff - Melbourne's in the granny!

Not my team, but very happy to see them knock off Geelong and they deserve a premiership, playing amazing this year.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm

And thanks to that Covid business, their 'supporters' don't have to make the impossible choice between the Long Room or the chalet at Hotham.

Come on number 11! Yes, the tall chap with the beard. That's the stuff! Eh what!

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 5:52pm

Cheers indo! And you sound like a sour Collingwood supporter, roker old son! PS I love no. 11, whatever his name is.

Roker's picture
Roker's picture
Roker Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
D-Rex wrote:

Cheers indo! And you sound like a sour Collingwood supporter, roker old son! PS I love no. 11, whatever his name is.

Guilty as charged D-Rex.

Although a Redlegs v. Scraggers GF might be something to get exited about. I was coached (many moons ago) by one of the members of Melb's last flag winning team (can't remember his name or number!), so that might be enough for me to enjoy a Pimms or two and cheer for your stout fellows.

Good luck D-Rex. Tally Ho!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 11 Sep 2021 at 9:04pm

Didn't even bother to get out of the car and check the surf today. Carparks were as full as a centipedes sock draw. Almost as bad as any long weekend .
Instead I went home and listened to some tree loppers destroy another few acres of pristine bush near me to make way for another multi million dollar mansion. The sound of wood chippers , chainsaws and trees crashing to the ground have become the 'new normal' round here for me. DA application approvals and construction permits for the land that was bought up last year have been coming through frequently over the last couple of months. Admittedly my view is better now but I'm just not happy with it. I preferred the trees. I know the owners have a lot the rights on their properties , but there are plenty of examples in my area where people have built nice homes without destroying too much of the bush ,to the point they barely contrast with the landscape . Kept every tree they could , especially old growth ones.
Then you have these slash and burn cockheads who seem more worried about showing off their newly 'built by designer architects' palaces in an old fishing town and justify the killing of massive trees by 'planting a few new native shrubs' . Fark you.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 3:24pm

That’s shit tubeshooter. There’s a great Australian architect of world renown, Glenn Murcutt, whose architecture motto is ‘to touch the earth lightly’. Doubt he would design anything that didn’t keep as many trees as possible. I hate the new fad architecture, bigger is always better it seems, and just follow whatever the latest fad is.

As for crowds, went down to my Sydney local yesterday and had to park in a street 300 metres away, as bad as the summer crowds. Lucky I know where to go. Had a very enjoyable body surf for about an hour.

Too small today even for that, but got there before the crowds took over, 20 minutes or so of bobbing around catching the odd one big enough to take a human. Boardies only, I’m embracing the cold.

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 5:00pm
tubeshooter wrote:

Didn't even bother to get out of the car and check the surf today. Carparks were as full as a centipedes sock draw. Almost as bad as any long weekend .
Instead I went home and listened to some tree loppers destroy another few acres of pristine bush near me to make way for another multi million dollar mansion. The sound of wood chippers , chainsaws and trees crashing to the ground have become the 'new normal' round here for me. DA application approvals and construction permits for the land that was bought up last year have been coming through frequently over the last couple of months. Admittedly my view is better now but I'm just not happy with it. I preferred the trees. I know the owners have a lot the rights on their properties , but there are plenty of examples in my area where people have built nice homes without destroying too much of the bush ,to the point they barely contrast with the landscape . Kept every tree they could , especially old growth ones.
Then you have these slash and burn cockheads who seem more worried about showing off their newly 'built by designer architects' palaces in an old fishing town and justify the killing of massive trees by 'planting a few new native shrubs' . Fark you.

Fark, that sort of thing makes my blood boil. I farken' hate it when trees get cut down. Like you say, it's possible to build a house and keep most of the trees on the property. Why do these fuckers have to build such big houses anyway? Oxygen thieves.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm

Yeah it's getting depressing lately , a lot more than usual ., I'd rather the hide-away styles than those flamboyant monstrosities on display by the status seekers any day.
That Glenn Murcutt guy has the right idea Batfink, I just had a quick look at some of his work , thx.
I also checked the architects and builders listed on the signs of some of these properties about to built around here , and I'm pretty sure they don't share the same motto as Glenn unfortunately.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm

Murcutt knows where it’s at, great empathy for the environment.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 12 Sep 2021 at 11:21pm

Yep , I wish more architects would take a leaf out his book.
But it's usually the owners wishes to go full retard and clear fell as much as they can legally get away with. And there's plenty of 'prestige' show pony designers and builders out there to meet their demand.

Gotta love the sound of nature,,,,,,,,

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 9:15am

Tubeshooter,
Feel your pain. Live in a very 'leafy' part of the MP, in fact one of the main reasons we moved here. But the constant sound of chainsaws as people clear their blocks to build the biggest ugliest Melbourne town house or unit development is soul crushing.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 9:22am

and for anyone on the MP, here is what the Shire is planning.

https://shape.mornpen.vic.gov.au/planning-scheme-amendment-c219morn-hous...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 9:30am

Just remember san Guine, an extra 1200 houses per year for the next 15 years is all part of “Protecting the Peninsula's special values and character”.

Bewdy.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 9:55am

Dr chant is left with a hard road ahead. The reality of mismanagement from higher level of order. I wish I was dreaming but I'm not.

Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19's picture
Hutchy 19 Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 10:01am

Don't blame to people who show lack of judgement ( there will always be people like this ) blame the council's building and planning regulations .

If we want to make housing more affordable we need to increase supply and build more . Lots more !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 13 Sep 2021 at 10:07am
AndyM wrote:

Just remember san Guine, an extra 1200 houses per year for the next 15 years is all part of “Protecting the Peninsula's special values and character”.

Bewdy.

There is zero need for that kind of environmental and community destruction. Without the importation of humans through mass immigration we would never be forced to submit to abhorrent situations such as the MP expansion plan. There is nothing natural or organic about that level of growth. It’s imposed top down by business. Australians need to reject this unmandated bullshit out of hand. It’s not fait accompli to have our country drowned in development and imported humanity.

The exact same plan is being revealed all over Australia as though there is no alternative future. There is many alternative futures which don’t include arbitrarily and artificially growing our population by millions of people. Everything is at stake.