Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 7:46pm

Reckon if you are a media company and you have been caught out knowingly lying, any licenses should be cancelled...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/24/rupert-murdoch-fox...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 8:08pm
andy-mac wrote:

Reckon if you are a media company and you have been caught out knowingly lying, any licenses should be cancelled...

Seriously there wouldn't be ANY media left, ALL lie some are just more clever about how they do it than others.

Plus there is such a fine line between lying and being purposely misleading, you can completely change the narrative and how a viewer will interrupt something just by leaving important aspects out of a story that would otherwise completely change the viewers understanding and view point, you can also use outdated information while knowing full well what your presenting is no longer true.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 11:29pm

What does everyone think of Australia recognising Indian qualifications with equal weight to Australia's own?

Australia will recognise:

"Senior secondary education qualifications awarded by a relevant board or council of senior secondary education or awarded by any other authority empowered by the Government of India.
Technical and vocational education and training qualifications awarded by institutions approved by the All-lndia Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and/ or National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET) and/or its equivalent body and State Councils for Vocational Training (SCVT).
Higher education qualifications awarded by institutions authorised by the University Grants Commission (UGC), the All-lndia Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), as well as other equivalent bodies.
Australia is, therefore, required to recognise Indian vocational and university graduates to be “holding the comparable AQF qualification for the purposes of admission to higher education”.

“The Government of Australia will [also] deem graduates with the qualifications listed in paragraph 12 [directly above] to be holding comparable Australian qualifications for the purposes of general employment, where such qualifications are required”."

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/04/mad-albo-inundates-jobs-market-...

What does this do to young Australian undergrads? Postgrads? Apprentices?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 6:44am
indo-dreaming wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Seriously there wouldn't be ANY media left, ALL lie some are just more clever about how they do it than others.

Plus there is such a fine line between lying and being purposely misleading, you can completely change the narrative and how a viewer will interrupt something just by leaving important aspects out of a story that would otherwise completely change the viewers understanding and view point, you can also use outdated information while knowing full well what your presenting is no longer true.

False equivalence...
Bias is not knowingly bullshitting as the Murdoch mob have been proven to have done on a massive damaging scale.
This was done purely for financial and /or ideological reasons.
Yes you have point when people like Julian Assange are ignored or in the Australian case, Jordan Shanks.
Please name another similar situation involving a major news organisation. Not just a journo being misleading, but all management and owners going along with the BS which wasn't really a minor topic, ya know democracy used to be a pretty major concern in USA, hypothetically anyway...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 7:57am

@VJ , I can’t believe Albo is taking this path . I’d like to see free University degrees in area’s that have a shortage for Australians. Doctors and Engineers would be obvious ones . I wouldn’t make all degrees free , some people become professional students so if there wasn’t a demand in a certain field then it shouldn’t be free . If we can find hundreds of billions funding submarines & such, then education should be an equal priority . The current HECS debts also need adjustments .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 8:49am

Isn’t it about time charities such as sanitarium and others ( hillsong ) started paying tax on their profits ? Even the IPA disguises itself as a charity under the title of THE TRUSTEE FOR INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS RESEARCH TRUST with a climate change research program (science apparently ) no doubt all the donations are tax deductible. Yes some charities profits are put to good use for the poor and underprivileged.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 8:52am
Supafreak wrote:

@VJ , I can’t believe Albo is taking this path . I’d like to see free University degrees in area’s that have a shortage for Australians. Doctors and Engineers would be obvious ones . I wouldn’t make all degrees free , some people become professional students so if there wasn’t a demand in a certain field then it shouldn’t be free . If we can find hundreds of billions funding submarines & such, then education should be an equal priority . The current HECS debts also need adjustments .

Yep reckon higher education should be free or at least a lot cheaper, especially for the in demand qualifications. Medical, Education, STEM etc
As noted, professional students was a thing, but could get around that by if a student fails subject, they have to pay to repeat it....
Not fair for kids from lower socio economic groups looking at huge debt on completion of course, especially for relatively low paying jobs such as nurse, paramedic or teacher.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 9:13am
velocityjohnno wrote:

What does everyone think of Australia recognising Indian qualifications with equal weight to Australia's own?

Australia will recognise:

"Senior secondary education qualifications awarded by a relevant board or council of senior secondary education or awarded by any other authority empowered by the Government of India.
Technical and vocational education and training qualifications awarded by institutions approved by the All-lndia Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and/ or National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET) and/or its equivalent body and State Councils for Vocational Training (SCVT).
Higher education qualifications awarded by institutions authorised by the University Grants Commission (UGC), the All-lndia Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), as well as other equivalent bodies.
Australia is, therefore, required to recognise Indian vocational and university graduates to be “holding the comparable AQF qualification for the purposes of admission to higher education”.

“The Government of Australia will [also] deem graduates with the qualifications listed in paragraph 12 [directly above] to be holding comparable Australian qualifications for the purposes of general employment, where such qualifications are required”."

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2023/04/mad-albo-inundates-jobs-market-...

What does this do to young Australian undergrads? Postgrads? Apprentices?

As usual, immigration is the easy fix with a range of long term consequences.

Some professions are more standardised such as medicine. Others not so much and the "product" from universities can be highly variable.

Having seen a lot of job applications and interviewed candidates from overseas applicants, i have been consistently surprised to the downside in a range of ways once you looked closely at applications and then later in interviews.

My favourite candidate repeatedly stated to most questions:

"I will use my advanced xcel skills"

Or

"I will create a dashboard using my advanced xcel skills"

Just an example. But variations on that theme are pretty common.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 9:19am
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

Yep reckon higher education should be free or at least a lot cheaper, especially for the in demand qualifications. Medical, Education, STEM etc
As noted, professional students was a thing, but could get around that by if a student fails subject, they have to pay to repeat it....
Not fair for kids from lower socio economic groups looking at huge debt on completion of course, especially for relatively low paying jobs such as nurse, paramedic or teacher.

I would make it a condition that if receiving a free University degree in the medical field or teaching, then 2 years needed to be served in rural areas.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 9:28am

Macrobusiness article is missing the main point here.

Apart from the fact that importing more humans from India leads to

1. cheap labour and hence low wages growth (increased corporate profits and lower inflation pressure)...population growth that inflates property prices and rents...flooding our universities with Indian students to pivot away from our dependence on the Chinese student dollar...

the main point macrobusiness is missing is it's all just

2. another friendly gesture and prong (among many) in the large scale campaign currently underway to get India to pivot to the West in our China encirclement, containment and rollback strategy, and get them onside in any upcoming US-driven war against China.

The West is currently going all out trying to court India and get them on our side.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 9:59am

gsco, good points.
Almost always a deeper agenda to pivots and new narratives and a plausible "cover" story to make it palatable.

Interestingly, India has strong ties to Russia and an so will not necessarily be an easy puppet for the US. But who knows what mischief will be made to change that.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 10:20am

As an aside, I read a US blog once with many personal anecdotes on what happens once certain ethnic groups reach a critical mass within an organisation's management and HR functions. A silent invasion begins - cuckoo nest situation. Recruit their own. Others begin to leave. A new monoculture develops. Often for some reason this would have a strong - please the boss at all costs and look good by hiding mistakes / avoiding raising difficult issues theme - which works for a while but is not good, longer term, for organisational success.

Generalisations to be sure and so many exceptions. But also an unspoken reality coming our way.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 10:24am

Yeh, careful frog, that's just a very common 'new broom' model, and I'm sure we've all been at the mercy of insecure, incompetent, sociopathic management, it's so common.. not an 'ethnic' thing..

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 11:13am

Yes, the new broom is at play. But if you read the blog you would see a significant pattern.

Culture is real and deep.

Can't accept cultural diversity and pretend it doesn't exist at the same time.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 11:37am

Yep, agree, I had just come from thermalben's Tucker posting, and had many chuckles, one of them being the US-scared-right's idea that Western culture is a powerhouse of righteousness, and the same time a house of cards that can't stand influence. Anything strong is supple like a reed, you've seen some of the rigidity in the religion thread.. terrifyingly brittle ; )

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 11:42am

I think that Tucker's (and others') idea is that Western Culture has been a powerhouse, but that it is eating itself - or burning up in a self-fanned conflagration. I must say that I believe that the last 5 years support that.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 11:57am
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:

I would make it a condition that if receiving a free University degree in the medical field or teaching, then 2 years needed to be served in rural areas.

Agree in theory. Would increase the 2 years to 5 in some cases where the individual is young, single etc.
There is an attempt to have mature aged people with 'real life' experience become teachers. Think if a person is established in an area with family etc they may be reluctant to head to rural areas, therefore not do the course.
Education is having enough trouble attracting and maintaining teachers, there is a lot of systematic problems.... Hard one.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 12:23pm
Island Bay wrote:

I think that Tucker's (and others') idea is that Western Culture has been a powerhouse, but that it is eating itself - or burning up in a self-fanned conflagration. I must say that I believe that the last 5 years support that.

Self-flagellating deconstructionism - what could possibly go wrong?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 1:14pm
AndyM wrote:

Indeed! And would you like Deep fried locusts and 15min cities with that?!?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 1:34pm

Cheers for those views people. Currently have a young one within the Uni system and I do wonder if his degree will be made equivalent to a fly by night degree earned with less endeavour from elsewhere, but I feel pretty safe his one will have good value internationally and at home.

Tradies: is it possible that the previously invincible tradie labour will be replaced by Indian labourers in this case?

gsco good point, Indian foreign policy seems to be to balance on the fence around rival great powers, that one makes theirs unique and their own. If you look at where they sit geopolitically and the history of invasions, I guess it makes sense.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 1:56pm
Island Bay wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Indeed! And would you like Deep fried locusts and 15min cities with that?!?

As long as we cut off our nose to spite our face that’s all that matters.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 2:16pm

africa eats more bugs for protein than asia.. 15min cities were a western european aspiration (and a Maccas reality.. way grosser than bugs). The cooler futurist sci fi loves people eating fried bugs..
plus, firefly had mandarin and english as the interstellar languages.. seemed fine. It's the reavers we have to watch, and the conspiracies that create them : o

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 3:43pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-25/australia-prrt-oil-giants-chalmer.... analysisWhy Australia lags behind the rest of the world in taxing oil and energy giants

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 7:04am

Watched first episode of this last night on Netflix.
Australia is an amazing country full of great people. I was fortunate to spend last year travelling around this land and met so many interesting people from all walks of life. Miriam might not be for everyone, but I look forward to the remaining episodes.
Lidia Thorpe makes an appearance.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/miriam-margolyes-almost-australian

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 4:55pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 5:21pm
andy-mac wrote:

Australia is an amazing country full of great people. I was fortunate to spend last year travelling around this land and met so many interesting people from all walks of life. Miriam might not be for everyone, but I look forward to the remaining episodes.

That was sweet Andy.
Anyone who can call themselves a fat, jewish lesbian is ok by me.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 5:41pm

Yeh, good recommend a-m, my kids and I watched all 3 eps today.. fun viewing!

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 6:07pm
AndyM wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

That was sweet Andy.
Anyone who can call themselves a fat, jewish lesbian is ok by me.

She's a character!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 6:20pm

"This is the major stain on this country, the way the First Nation people have been treated, and what their lives are.
There are two worlds and they're not connected."

https://iview.abc.net.au/video/DO1902H002S00

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 1:00pm

Last week Australia's defence department confirmed another former vice-admiral, William Hilarides, has been paid almost $2.5 million for advice given through the Naval Shipbuilding Advisory Board and Naval Shipbuilding Expert Advisory Panel since 2016.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-27/retired-senior-american-military-... Retired US admirals charging Australian taxpayers thousands of dollars per day as defence consultants

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Sunday, 30 Apr 2023 at 8:06pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/india-darwin/1...

Ayurvedic Medicare rebate suddenly seems within reach

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 1 May 2023 at 11:04am
bonza wrote:

….

Funnily enough, until relatively recently 50% of US schools didn’t teach evolution either. It’s now down to 1/3 of schools.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 May 2023 at 12:00pm
bonza wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

That distant roar you can hear is the cheering of 10,000 Ayurvedic practitioners in Byron Bay.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 1 May 2023 at 7:18pm

Morriscum heading for greener pastures , the people of cook will be devastated. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-heading-towards-the-exi...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 May 2023 at 6:21am
Supafreak wrote:

Morriscum heading for greener pastures , the people of cook will be devastated. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-heading-towards-the-exi...

Our gain, their loss...
As long as he is back for ICAC....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 2 May 2023 at 7:17am

Liberals wonder why they’re on the nose ,this old article covers some of the reasons . Nearly half way through this year and still not hearing much from ICAC . https://newpolitics.com.au/2020/02/20/a-short-history-of-corruption/

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 2 May 2023 at 8:42am
Supafreak wrote:

Liberals wonder why they’re on the nose ,this old article covers some of the reasons . Nearly half way through this year and still not hearing much from ICAC . https://newpolitics.com.au/2020/02/20/a-short-history-of-corruption/

How's the picture of Joyce!! haha dirty old drunk. Man of family values....
Could probably just have a ICAC into him...

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 7:00pm

Interesting article ………….. Make no mistake, the Albanese government knows that in joining the US fight against China, Australia will be left defenceless on American withdrawal. And only a dodo could not know this risk is high. Maybe the government doesn’t appreciate that war for America is different. It is the war which matters, not the result. “Winning” is incidental. https://johnmenadue.com/labors-serial-betrayal-of-australia/

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 8:58pm

If America withdraws from Australia, they lose the entire Indo-Pacific. They are blocked from the Indian Ocean, and they then face the PLAN directly in Hawaii first and then the US West coast. We could be a nation of leprechauns, but they will not give up the landmass.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 7:36am
velocityjohnno wrote:

If America withdraws from Australia, they lose the entire Indo-Pacific.

Article today on why they won't give up on the South China Sea. The wording is a little ambiguous, implying that 99% of all internet traffic runs through cables on the floor of the SCS, which surely can't be correct.

Nevertheless, there's a significant traffic there and reason enough for the US to defend its commercial interests (within which its government info flows) on this side of the Pacific.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/the-future-of-the-internet-depends-on-...

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 9:21am

I love how the Western media fabricates and frames every event taking place on planet earth as some kind of epic battle of them vs us, good vs evil, democracy and freedom vs authoritarianism and oppression, capitalism vs communism, etc, in which the US and its allies are the innocent and well intentioned heroes and the Chinese are the villains routinely committing heinous acts of sabotage and spying and crime designed to undermine the "rules based order" and go against what is good and fair and decent, and in which the very future of the planet and survival of the human race depends on the allies winning out over the dark side of the force, in particular by courting and capturing all countries onto the allies' side and cause.

Do you not find it all completely cringeworthy?

https://johnmenadue.com/we-are-being-seduced-and-trapped-into-war-again-...

https://johnmenadue.com/the-coming-war-time-to-speak-up/

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 10:00am

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 10:28am

It’s true gsco…

The ‘us vs them’ is a mirage ;)

- all cringeworthy and fabricated, yet a product apparently still worth selling.

It is only effective and able to flourish if the average person is dumb enough to believe it …

- with the program of using lies as a power to convince the population that they are in the inevitable path of some sort of dire or impending threat… and through the use of continually pushing unhinged and imagined hysteria, governments can sway and control and enforce falsehood.

It is used to effectively hold us hostage and mould public opinion in a way that not only allows but also maintains the ability to create diversions from the realities of western corruption and warmongering… this further pushes an indoctrinated society into believing that they are on the ‘winning’ or ‘good’ side, yet at the same time this propaganda is aiding and fuelling more division and disharmony and fear.

We still don’t want to clean up our own backyard nor face the harsh truths of the messes we create. Our enduring fixation on China as an enemy and the US as a helpful big bro is out of whack and continues to grow in absurdity…

If we believed that the Iraq wmd’s lies were real and an actual threat, if we’re able to fall into line with the covid fairy tales and also still pretend now that ukraine is anything other than another proxy war - then it’s almost certain we’ll follow along with the taiwan tale of upholding democracy / sovereignty / liberty etc story and believe we are part of a great and free coalition of ‘good’.

But what ‘good’ is this doing to us (or the world) really ? Who benefits ? And how will peace and stability prevail and endure ?

Not sure our track record is as successful and as amazing as we’d prefer to assume ;) Also not sure if the great aussie fighting spirit and quest for mateship will prevail or endure if we continue with our blind allegiance to king and country and the military industrial complex of the US.

Imagine we are part of the problem ;)
And we think we are part of a solution …

- but are we just as guilty as anyone of provoking and escalating, of terrorising and deceiving… ?

Odd ;)

Yet our leaders and policy makers assume, with unflinching arrogance and idiocy, that we don’t need to change nor even attempt to consider that what we are doing isn’t working - and others need to tone down their rhetoric and military capabilities…

What a wild and nonsensical approach, a total recipe for further conflict … and an outright mistake to think our biggest trading partner is gunning for us.

https://m.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 10:35am

Starwars, may the force be with you. It's going to get worse with the proliferation of AI, soon it will become almost impossible to discern fake from reality, something Rupert has been practising for years.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 10:36am

And the British Empire was never racist according to Prince William

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 11:56am
gsco wrote:

I love how the Western media fabricates and frames every event taking place on planet earth as some kind of epic battle of them vs us, good vs evil, democracy and freedom vs authoritarianism and oppression, capitalism vs communism, etc, in which the US and its allies are the innocent and well intentioned heroes and the Chinese are the villains routinely committing heinous acts of sabotage and spying and crime designed to undermine the "rules based order" and go against what is good and fair and decent, and in which the very future of the planet and survival of the human race depends on the allies winning out over the dark side of the force, in particular by courting and capturing all countries onto the allies' side and cause.

Do you not find it all completely cringeworthy?

https://johnmenadue.com/we-are-being-seduced-and-trapped-into-war-again-...

https://johnmenadue.com/the-coming-war-time-to-speak-up/

Frightening...
In regard to any war in South China Sea, would not China have land-based missiles that could take out naval targets easily?
Also are the instigators in the USA really prepared to risk nuclear escalation which I assume no one could win. Does China have capability at the moment to hit the west coast of the USA with Nuks?
Whole things seems ridiculously stupid from Australia's viewpoint, they are our major trading partner and we are still selling shit loads of Iron Ore for their military hardware. Would believe that the Australian government were being serious with threat when any mineral exports were shut down.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 12:40pm

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 8:01pm

Classic Hanson “ every dollar counts “

The Greens are trying to silence me because I spoke out against their deputy leader, Meereen Faruqi, for her disgusting attack on Queen Elizabeth II, made on the very day of her passing.

I’ll be blunt. The Greens are taking me to court because they want to bankrupt me and kick me out of parliament. But I won't let them.

If they can silence me, they’ll be coming for you next, I refuse to let that happen.

I believe in free speech and the right to stand up for what we believe in. That's why I am asking you to donate what you can to help me defend myself against their attacks. Every dollar counts.

Criticism is not racism.

Together, we can show these bullies that we won't be silenced. We will stand up for our beliefs and fight for our democracy. Please consider visiting the link below and donating today to help me continue to fight for you.

Thank you for your support.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 5 May 2023 at 7:19am
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 5 May 2023 at 2:36pm