Australia - you're standing in it

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 18 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

The "I can't believe it's not politics" thread.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 2:20pm
frog wrote:

Hitching your wagon too closely to The Empire of Truth and Peace which has the following track record of misadventures is not without risk:
Vietnam
Haiti
Central America - multiple
Bosnia / Serbia etc
Iraq
Afghanistan
Syria
Yemen
Libya
Ukraine

Has anything ever gone well for the exceptionals since WWII ?

But Albo signed up to AUKUS within 24 hrs of getting the sales pitch. Either he is a Geopolitical and Military genius with remarkable prescience, or he got totally steamrolled.

Or he did not have a choice????

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 3:45pm
frog wrote:

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2023/may/08/nato-...
Balkansation (fragmentation) and fermenting internal divisions of countries in eastern Europe (and the ME) keeps them weak - easy to manipulate and dominate. Not so nice for residents:
"The test run for NATO as human rights superheroes was Yugoslavia in 1999. To everybody but NATO and its neocon handlers in DC and many European capitals, it was a horrific, unjustified disaster. Seventy-eight days of bombing a country that did not threaten NATO left many hundreds of civilians dead, the infrastructure destroyed, and a legacy of uranium-tipped ammunition to poison the landscape for generations to come.

Just last week tennis legend Novak Djokovic recalled what it felt like to flee his grandfather’s home in the middle of the night as NATO bombs fell and destroyed it. What a horror!"
A lot has been done under the seductive flags of promoting Democracy, Human Rights and Freedom that you would wish on no country with often the opposite results.

Sorry frog but this is utter rubbish. Although I feel for Djokovic and 79 days in 1999, the actions were taken to bring down a genocidal regime that killed thousands and displaced hundreds of thousands in the name of 'ethnic cleansing'. While 79 days must have been horrific for Serbia their counterparts in other places (including myself as I was there) had to endure 8 years of bloodshed before finally seeing the end of this madness. And if it wasn't for UNPROFOR early on the bloodshed would be 10x.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 4:03pm

or, as Stu would say, the Nato and the Unprofor.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 4:05pm

Some money needs to be spent on police training, is this the best response they can currently come up with ? https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/18/nsw-police-twice-...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 5:17pm
basesix wrote:

Whatever. The aim should be to act quickly and decisively. It's quite contrary to a lot of nonsense being shared online. Legendary Nordbat 2 comes to mind.

https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2017/9/20/trigger-happy-autonom...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 5:37pm

Or maybe start taxing the miners so they pay their fair share for the 'Commonwealth' of Australia's resources.
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/18/gina-rinehart-tells-sum...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 5:39pm
Supafreak wrote:

Some money needs to be spent on police training, is this the best response they can currently come up with ? https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/18/nsw-police-twice-...

That's sickening and so sad. Surely there were other options.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 6:04pm
Supafreak wrote:

Horrible....

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 6:19pm
andy-mac wrote:

Or maybe start taxing the miners so they pay their fair share for the 'Commonwealth' of Australia's resources.
¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
9805-C187-F816-4-FB9-AB5-E-5-E3-DF86-CD65-E https://twitter.com/squizzstk/status/1659096715830472705?s=46&t=5RczxwAf...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 6:53pm
basesix wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, don't you even joke about that!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 7:07pm

haha, AM.. programme or program? Is oftentimes acceptable in Oz? Oxford comma? Prime Minister or prime minister?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 7:17pm

I'm going to touch base and say that oftentimes I hunker down when it comes to creeping Americanisms.
First I go to the ANZee bank, then I put some gas in my Tucson or Tribeca and put my kids Montana and Dakota in the back.
Then we go hike some trails as long as there's no wildfires in the forest.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 7:30pm

nice...high five, haha...
funny how words acclimate given enough time though, people will order a (soft r) cwoissant with an elegant affectation, but do so at a RESTRONT then use the TOYLET.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 7:34pm

I heard an announcer on the ABC a while back pronounce poignant in a way that brought tears to the eyes.
And not in a good way.
We're all doomed :)
And then there's the letter haitch...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 7:40pm

Yup. I've even heard a few people accusing others of hyperbowl recently.
#rikmayallaheadofhistime?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 8:57pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
9805-C187-F816-4-FB9-AB5-E-5-E3-DF86-CD65-E https://twitter.com/squizzstk/status/1659096715830472705?s=46&t=5RczxwAf...

What a horrendous piece of work he is....
On side of foreign owned corporations and a few billionaires over Australians....
May he long be leader of leftovers...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 9:19pm
AndyM wrote:

I heard an announcer on the ABC a while back pronounce poignant in a way that brought tears to the eyes.
And not in a good way.
We're all doomed :)
And then there's the letter haitch...

We could all take some lessons from former PM Malcom Trumble.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 9:20pm

"On side of foreign owned corporations and a few billionaires over Australians...."

Don't think Labor is too much different.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 9:29pm
AndyM wrote:

"On side of foreign owned corporations and a few billionaires over Australians...."

Don't think Labor is too much different.

Maybe, maybe not.
I seem to remember though a previous government talking about taxing the mining companies properly and that had Gina and Twiggy in the back of utes in work clothes screaming it would bankrupt Australia, or something like that.
MCA had a lot of ads on telly also....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 10:06pm

I hope you're right.
Hasn't looked good so far.

- Albanese government opens up nearly 47,000 sq km of Australian waters to oil and gas exploration

- sends immigration through the roof at the expense of housing and rental affordability, employment, wages, environment etc etc, all to please the usual masters.

Labor to lead us towards a fairer, more equitable and sustainable Australia?
Meh.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Friday, 19 May 2023 at 6:12am
AndyM wrote:

I hope you're right.
Hasn't looked good so far.

- Albanese government opens up nearly 47,000 sq km of Australian waters to oil and gas exploration

- sends immigration through the roof at the expense of housing and rental affordability, employment, wages, environment etc etc, all to please the usual masters.

Labor to lead us towards a fairer, more equitable and sustainable Australia?
Meh.

I agree with your sentiment. My hope (maybe deluded) is that the Labor government is just trying to place themselves in this term as a safe pair of hands whatever that means and then go to electorate next election with some more progressive policies.
The msm is just waiting to jump on anything they do as breaking promises etc and blame them for any economic problems after giving LNP free ride for decade or more.
How is it that Dutton and other LNP members get so much media space to sprout their bullshit. If situation was reversed I cannot see Albo and his party members get the platform Taylor Dutton etc are getting with an unquestioning media as members of opposition.
Sunny Coast local radio on news only ever really states what the opposition has said, no counter narrative or govt position. 'Dutton says immigration too high,' 'Dutton says inflation Labor's fault' etc etc. Then end of report.
Ok may be raving a bit now, but this is the environment Albo's govt have to deal with.
If they go too hard too early they will be one term govt and Dutton will be PM.
I'm pretty pissed with them in a number of areas, :
Aukus being no. 1.
Stage 3 tax, even though I will benefit personally,
Reckon they should be going harder after opposition members who stink of corruption, eg Taylor. Maybe waiting for ICAC to get going?
Anyway let's see next term if they get one.
Choice between LNP shit sandwich or ALP shit sandwich, I'll still go Labor.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 19 May 2023 at 3:42pm

Even CNN has picked up the story of the 95 year old 43 kg dementia patient who was advancing on police with her wheely walker armed with a steak knife . https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/19/australia/australia-95-year-old-woman-tas...

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 19 May 2023 at 4:39pm

It's everywhere, our reputation as a totalitarian state is growing again.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 19 May 2023 at 5:21pm

Jim Chalmers with a short but very accurate appraisal of spud .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 19 May 2023 at 7:53pm

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 7:38am
Supafreak wrote:

https://youtu.be/pkVYtJw1hMg

Crazy that the law allows an ex PM to go and work for the interests of a foreign country.
Especially with the pension he will be receiving.
Geez..... Will the NACC find anything on him??? Surely there must be something.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 11:18am

The temptation of Scommo

And so it came to pass,
After 40 days and nights fasting his ego in the back bench desert
The devil came to Scommo to tempt him.
Scommo looked deep into his empty soul and chose his path
Henceforth Scommo set off to the land of Mammon to be a salesman for the machines of war whose feverent desire is the killing of men in their multitudes.

Jesus wept.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 3:53pm

Robo-debt royal commissioner Catherine Holmes requested a one-week extension to the inquiry’s reporting date so she can make referrals directly to the new national corruption watchdog, which does not begin operating until July 1. https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2023/05/20/exclusive-r... …..still waiting on the findings for glady’s and co. ( you can put in a fake email if you want to read the full article )

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 7:22pm

Really, The Murdoch media really is a cesspit of rotten racist red neck nasty misinformation...
Freedumb speech....

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/20/stan-grant-faced-...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 9:20pm

I knew mum would want to watch when she got home and actually called her to avoid watching via ABC as they were completely off topic and it just sounded like Uni social sciences griping tbh, very little to do with what was happening in the leadup to the ceremony. Can't tell you if they improved as time went on as didn't listen to them.

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/sharri-markson/abc-failed-to-understa...

Rule #1: understand your audience, or market.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 9:00am

Sky News criticises ABC. Now there is an example of “know your audience“.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 9:25am
velocityjohnno wrote:

I knew mum would want to watch when she got home and actually called her to avoid watching via ABC as they were completely off topic and it just sounded like Uni social sciences griping tbh, very little to do with what was happening in the leadup to the ceremony. Can't tell you if they improved as time went on as didn't listen to them.

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/sharri-markson/abc-failed-to-understa...

Rule #1: understand your audience, or market.

I never watched it, but i did hear lots of callers on ABC radio the next day complaining.

Theres a time and a place and obviously it wasn't the time and place, bad judgement by ABC and bad judgement by Stan.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 9:58am

I've kinda been following this a bit and I can't say I've seen any published racism towards Stan in the media, both liberal and conservative.

Social media is a different story, but that's a cesspit and there are always going to be tons of slack-jawed morons sticking their red necks out. I still think the people that hold those extreme racist views are firmly in the minority though

Two points, have to agree that the ABC didn't read the room and underestimated the affection a huge swathe of Aussies have for the monarchy. I don't think it was the time and place to put forth indigenous issues. Kinda akin to protesting on ANZAC day. Second, Stan wasn't exactly rating so probs jumped ship and pulled the racism card as his justification. Shame though, he's an intelligent, articulate man and one of the more sensible voices out there.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 10:42am

I was expecting sites like the ABC and the guardian to publish specifics.
I’m guessing it’s extraordinarily dumb stuff on social media like “if you hate the monarchy and English colonialism etc then you should give up using modern technology”.
But like he said it’s more a case of the ABCs failure to back him up.
Yeah I like Stan too, it’s Australia’s loss if he really does walk away.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 3:03pm

Interestingly enough, my old man is 90, a proud Englishman, quite conservative in his views and only ever watches the ABC. He is also not one to keep his opinion to himself. He had nothing to say about their coverage. I reckon Stan will be be a great loss.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 3:57pm

Andy M "I’m guessing it’s extraordinarily dumb stuff on social media like “if you hate the monarchy and English colonialism etc then you should give up using modern technology”.
Twitter was pretty harsh on Stan even prior to the Coronation telecast. A lot of accusations about being a LNP shill and his hosting style on Q&A, also accusations he was "blacking up" with dark makeup and pointing to his role in ASPI and the fact he was interviewed for Liberal Party pre-selection at one stage. He was copping it from all sides and some of it pretty ugly, and racist.
I actually watched the part of the ABC Coronation telecast he was so heavily criticised about, over 150 articles and stories in The Australian and on Sky News alone, and didn't think at the time it was too over the top or would attract so much attention. It was pretty factual and contextual, it was also a conversation which Craig Foster participated in just as much as Stan, but he seems to have escaped the vitriol which is interesting and might in part explain Stan's feelings that racism is involved. Whether it was appropriate to discuss Australia's colonial history during a coronation telecast or not probably depends on people's own personal views but to me it didn't seem out of place. They had a lot of air time to fill.
I think Stan has also been hurt by the lack of back up he got from ABC management when the pile on started and I think he has a point there when you compare his situation to other ABC presenters like Lisa Millar, Fauziah Ibrahim and Leigh Sales who copped it and ABC was very quick to publicly support them.
I have never been a big fan of Stan but think he's been given a rough ride with this, also think it has a lot to do with the right side of politics and the Murdoch's hate of the ABC looking for any excuse to go on the attack. It's a bit ironic when you consider the platforming the right and Murdoch journalists get on air and the number of LNP appointees on the ABC Board and management today, maybe a hangover from the Howard era where people like Kerry O'Brien and Barry Cassidy would hold politicians to account and the ABC was seen as a "leftie" network.
Also find it interesting that Stan has come out and quit and criticised his bosses yet will still be hosting his last Q&A tomorrow night. It might finally get some of the ratings back it has lost since Tony Jones left.
Will also be interesting to see who they replace him with and hope it's not David Speers. I might have to watch it again to see. It will be a big loss to the ABC and journalism generally to lose the guy, whether you agree with him or like his style or not, the fact is he has a great knowledge and intellect and is highly capable and it is very sad to see him feeling this way about a profession he has devoted his working life to.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 4:10pm

thanks adam12 and the above commentators. Not being a telly or socials watcher, (mostly an RN listener), I find these considered observations interesting.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 4:45pm

I've read lots of the blackface comments, "hitting the solarium" etc etc. the insinuation that he's hamming up his Aboriginality.

Now for the evolution of the argument:

Can't win really.

Hopefully this fan mail Stan received 31 years ago encourages him to keep going.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 5:51pm

Anything specific prompt the fan mail? were(are) you a frequent correspondent Stu?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 6:10pm
loungelizard wrote:

Anything specific prompt the fan mail? were(are) you a frequent correspondent Stu?

Can't recall the story, LL. Couldn't even recall the letter till I rediscovered it a few years ago.

I've also got similar replies from letters that I wrote to Daryl Somers and Gene Simmons - kinda hard to find a link between them all.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 21 May 2023 at 6:39pm

I'm impressed that he signed off with the word cordially.
Should be bought back into common usage.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 22 May 2023 at 8:25am
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 22 May 2023 at 3:16pm

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 22 May 2023 at 5:25pm

I’d like to see it made public who funds the defendants in these high profile court cases .
No prizes for guessing who the accused grub is in this case . https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/22/high-profile-man-...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 22 May 2023 at 5:42pm
Supafreak wrote:

I’d like to see it made public who funds the defendants in these high profile court cases .
No prizes for guessing who the accused grub is in this case . https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/22/high-profile-man-...

Just read that article and was about to post it....
Yep good to have friends in high places.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 8:37am

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 10:21am

^^^ good onya stan

'the media is the problem'

yep

and there, stan grant has shown he is wise enough (and big enough a man enough) ...to acknowledge his role in the wider problem...

be good if abc could do the same

I still 'love my abc'

but...

(they really really can be just as trashy as sky news - just different)

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 1:13pm

Good on you Stan, you're allowed to be a proud man, and you're allowed to be overtly sincere. And you're allowed to hang stick on an industry you feel you have had to step away from.
Laughed out loud at your well-rounded fan-letter list Stu, maybe a school project? or maybe a dream (nightmare?) three-piece - Daryl on drums, Gene on bass, and Stan on guitar:

&t=164s
('I ain't got no home in this world anymore' - poignant)

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 7:38pm

Danka, Wilhelm.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 27 May 2023 at 7:51am

FJ on point again. You mightn't like his style but he raises legitimate points....

https://m.

&pp=ygUPZnJpZW5kbHlqb3JkaWVz