The United States(!) of A

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 at 11:12am

Septic Tanks are going to Septic Tank

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:12pm

I totally understand that Jr wasn't asking his Dad to put the US Military on four hours notice for deployment, but can you see how some of the more over-zealous Trump fans might have read a little too deeply into this Tweet?

Again, irresponsible. 

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:17pm

Definitely inflammatory language.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:21pm

yep that one is over the top

but the other one was clearly pointing out the hypocrisy around blm

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm

"but can you see how some of the more over-zealous Trump fans might have read a little too deeply into this Tweet?"
Spot on Ben, and just one over-zealous Trump fan can do so much damage given their penchant for guns.
Trump's refusal to concede is seen by his fans as a sign of a coup. His family need to stop encouraging the nutters.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm

Is it an indictable offence inciting violence in the US?

Paging the FBI .....

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:25pm

Hey GS, do you know why Donald can't return to the White House after January 21?

Answer: It's for Biden.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:40pm

Huh?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm

GS that was a VL joke, he's loving this shit.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:45pm

forbidden.
Dad joke.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:46pm

Listened to a Waleed Aly podcast today which I found fascinating.

I thoroughly recommend giving it a listen if only to gain some broader perspective.

It echoes what Facto and I were saying the other day i.e. the U.S. has been damaged and divided for a long time before Trump, and to say that he is responsible for the current mess is to give him too much credit.

To roughly quote Waleed Aly -

“The significancy of the Trump presidency is overstated, and even the consequence of this election result is overstated, in that one of the dirtiest secrets of the Trump administration is how little it has achieved.

It has accelerated really malignant forces but I don’t think those forces will go away depending on the result of this election.
Those forces have been building in the United States for a long time, and even in other parts of the world.

The reason I think this election result is less consequential than other might think is because you already have a country that has no basis on which to agree on facts and knowledge and information – we debate about what the facts mean but we don’t usually debate the existence of really basic facts.

Democracy only works when there is a basis for discussion.

I’ve been surprised at how quickly and thoroughly that basis has been eroded.

That’s not just about Trump.

Trump emerges at a certain moment in post-modern history that makes that possible.

This lack of a basis for discussion has to be corrected for democracy to have a viable future.”

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/theminefield/has-trump-rev...’s-fragility-or-resilience/12847200

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:53pm

no shitt, I said that to my wife before the 2016 election.

there are enough people getting news off Facebook or other social media with such totally separate realities that the winner is the one who manipulates this" fact" the best.
Trump has been ruthless at using conspiracy to bolster this separate reality amongst his supporters.

He still is.

Whether some kind of consensus view of reality emerges under Biden is very much an open question.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:56pm

And Australia is close behind the U.S. with regards to being confused, divided and conquered.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:57pm

You reckon Trump deserves the "credit" he's getting FR?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 7:59pm

we are definitely on that path.

I think compulsory voting keeps our political systems more oriented towards the centre ground.

what credit do you mean Andy?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:12pm

“The significancy of the Trump presidency is overstated, and even the consequence of this election result is overstated - these issues (credited to Trump) have been building in the United States for a long time, and even in other parts of the world."

Trump seems to be credited/blamed with dividing the U.S. - I trace this division back to at least George Dubya, Facto went for Nixon.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm

Where I would disagree with Waleed Aly is when he says the preferential voting is a godsend for Australia.

I think we'd be better off with some sort of proportional representation .

Preferential voting is hostile to non-major parties and is less representative and less democratic.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:20pm

Trans?

Can't believe I looked at that link Megzee.
I feel dirty.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:26pm

Sorry AndyM.....Just trying to claim my Carton of Pale Ale from my earlier prediction...
Tranny, MILF or Cougar.......American politics is so hard to understand..

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:42pm

waleed would be right, exactly what stan grant was saying today

we are caught up in an unfortunate time of propaganda and blame, as one system fails to be replaced by another

30 - 40 years of neoliberalism enabled and exploited by the 'third way' bullshit has squeezed all it can from the lemon, then ran over it a few more times to make sure

we are now in a time of reckoning

'libtards' putting all the blame on trump achieves nothing and just continues division

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:41pm

Where's the Stan Grant piece Syppo?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:46pm

'insiders' this morning

he was on abc 24 all morning too

but he was all over it on insiders, made peter hatcher and lenore taylor (?) look like the two (triggered) bias amateaurs they are...

insiders is easily accessable

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:46pm

Speaking of neoliberalism and identity politics-

"as class inequalities have dilated, establishment politicians ally with identity groups to shore up neoliberalism against any resistance to it."

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/identity-politics-gay-rights-neoliber...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm

I really like how Stan Grant doesn't necessarily toe the politically correct line if he doesn't believe it.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 9:58pm

Too right Andy.

Too soon?

toosoon

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 10:13pm

I mean who doesn't like a meme?.. it's that sort of a day...

5 for Trump and one for Joe

081120-uber
081120byebye
081120letgo
081120speech
081120who
081120wonwat
image upload site

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 10:29pm

The republicans must be going into meltdown...

Interesting times indeed.

“Now more than ever, we NEED to keep the Senate in Republican hands,” tweeted Loeffler. She said Saturday that she and Perdue are "the last line of defense against the radical left.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/fight-senate-control-awaits-ge...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 8 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm

Salute...Westofthelake's raw sense of humour...Comedy Gold Combo nails it!

Trump's Traineeshipwreck goes off the rails...
Stranding the crew...laughing their Trump training pants off!

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:16am

West of lake keep them coming you have chosen the memes well and not a partisan affair you have my applause. Humour always helps.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:27am

So................................................................

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:28am

Did I miss anything?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:30am

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:59am

VL I said I wouldn’t engage you but I can’t help it.

I was giving my two cents on what the DNC should do/have done before Trump got ‘smacked’, indeed before the election started. Here is just one of many examples.

“I’m not a Bernie Sanders fan, but I like him better than Biden. Remember after the primary debates when everything was Bernie, Bernie, Bernie. And then like magic Biden was endorsed. Same thing happened in 2016 with Bernie and Hillary. Their establishment shows nothing to their true supporters but arrogant contempt”.

And getting spanked, that didn’t happen. The states that decided this election were VERY close, obviously, that’s why it has taken days to announce a winner.

Besides ripping the DNC pre election I also predicted Trump would claim an early victory, before voting started...

“I can imagine Trump CLAIMING victory on election night, considering the rate of registered republicans to vote in person is around 2 to 1, much higher than the Dems who are favouring postal votes, which indicates that the Dems should be stronger finishers as the postal votes come in.”

Trump didn’t get smacked and that is why the DNC has their knickers in a twist, because really, considering the DNC should have smacked Trump (by 6 to 10+ Pts apparently) they didn’t, they almost lost. They got smacked in the house and it seems the GOP will retain the senate majority. it was a terrible result for the Dem’s in this election even though they won.

The blindly partisan, sanctimonious attitude you display here is the reason the DNC are losing. The way you constantly deride anyone with an opinion that doesn’t match your own is so off putting, bigoted and agitating to anyone with a half a brain that many would gladly put in a protest vote just to give righteous people like you a big FU.

I hope you are without sin the way you carry on, you should be at least. Keep throwing stones if you want, but put some plywood over your windows like the stores in most of the DNC governed cities around the US.

The left wing is no better or worse than the right wing, they are different parts of the same thing. If you think the left wing is better then read Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn and read the details about how people like you filled the Gulags with their ‘comrades’, who were worked to death, slowly and painfully, tens of millions of people. Good labour is hard to find in a far left society. I’m paraphrasing - you pretend to pay us and we pretend to work. That’s why they imprison their workforce.

Remember that extreme Left wing ideologies (communism) killed many more people than extreme right wing ideologies (fascism) in the 20th century. I acknowledge that Franco, Mussolini and Hitler did their murdering in a shorter amount of time and I acknowledge that Fascism is evil, but the fact that Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot etc took longer to kill scores of millions more of mostly THEIR OWN people means nothing. They are the equal of each other, don’t you get it.

Slagging off anyone with a right wing perspective or even someone who just questions the current state of the left wing just makes me think you would have been the kind of person who would have dobbed in their own father for picking up grains of wheat off the harvested field to feed his starving kids.

But keep ragging on anyone who dares to question your blindly partisan left wing perspective. (My favourite candidate for the 2020 US pres was a democrat).

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 2:39am

American States Covid -19 deaths / 100,000

185 New Jersey / 173 New York / 146 Massachusetts / 131 Connecticut / 129 Louisiana / 115 Rhode Island / 114 Mississippi / 92 Cloumbia

Trump paid WHO/Gates for renowned false [+] Tests Kits.
US Health said ..."whatever your game, just target the Covid Hot Spots. Please!"
Emergency Trump armed Rep Governors to Quarantine Swinging Black Hot Spots.

A bit like this....

Note: Blacks must isolate > Post test > Positive > Re test > Whole Class > Care Wards
Note: The exaggerated lowest death rates mirror the highest false positive Tests Rates.

Basically! Trump has faked Covid cases by false positive racial profiling. (It's sick!)
He did this to deny young / elderly > Black / Native / Hispanic voters in swing states.
Here's exactly how Trump targeted citizens to deny their the right to vote!

(Low d/100K) > US Top Case Rises % > Ramp more [+] Tests # to ensure Quarantine

84 Arizona > 123% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 105,200 Black > No ballot for group
79 Florida > 35% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 310,520 Blacks > No ballot for group.
78 Michigan > 156% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 144,360 Blacks > No ballot for group
77 Georgia > - % > Ramp false [+] Tests on 153,480 Blacks > No ballot for group
70 Pennsylvania >119% >Ramp false[+]Tests on 185,000 Blacks >No ballot for group
65 Texas > 36% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 419,000 Blacks > No ballot for group
59 Nevada > 176% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 44,000 Blacks > No ballot for group
57 Iowa > 94% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 45,000 Blacks > No ballot for group
47 Ohio > 122% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 169,00 Blacks > No ballot for group
46 Minnesota > 192% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 81,000 Blacks > No Ballot for group
43 Nth Carolina > 62% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 151,600 Blacks >No ballot for group
41 Colorado > *350% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 83,240 Blacks > No ballot for group
38 Wisconsin > 206% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 84,160 Blacks > No ballot for group
36 New H'shire >154% >Ramp false [+] Tests on 19,640 Blacks > No ballot for group
11 Maine > 42% > Ramp false [+] Tests on 19,400 Blacks > No ballot for group

The Colorado *350 high cases > due to 1,730,000 Tests (30% non white targeted tests)
Note: Republican Governors exceeded > shown Tallies > Emergency records waved.
Yes, that was reported as such..records of test numbers are not a priority, even now!

Trump's Swing States : (Recap).
Highest Tests > Highest Fake Cases > Highest Black Quarantine = Lowest Deaths
(Consider Blacks have highest death rates?) God Trump really can cure Covid Deaths.

Colorado > 1,730,000 Tests > 350% case jump but hardly registers any deaths.
Leading light example on how to turn the Pandemic around & None give a fuck?

That's some kind of miracle folks...yet no Media , Medicos, Pollsters raise an eyebrow!
Trump cooked up a 350% Covid test anomaly + Youth votes 380% anomaly!

Trump cooked Pandemic cases & WHO / Gates know this & now the crew also know.
Wake the fuck up USA...Trump should be in jail for corrupting Pandemic Tracing.

Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne's picture
Michael Bourne Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 7:47am

‘Did I miss anything?’

Hahaha, did you what... the ‘dream’ tag team have been putting some big, some huge, some massive days in on the keys, led by hall of famer sykko. Whoever is paying him is sure getting their money’s worth.

Goofball made a startling confession too... well, part confession.... again...

I exposed the truth about the NE NSW.... endless tears....

In a nutshell...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:03am

So a whole lotta TL:DR* (as above....as usual).

Sickballz!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:04am

*Trump lost: Dems rule?!

In a nutshell.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:17am

Few more

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:30am

Something I find quite fascinating:
Before this year, the most votes a presidential candidate had won was Obama in 2008 with ~69m.
Both Trump and Biden have comfortably beaten that mark (Biden's smashed it).
Add to that the fact that Biden seems to have outperformed the democratic party as a whole in a number of key states (comparing his %s to congress/senate votes %s), and that kinda puts the mockers on the idea that Biden was a "weak" (in terms of electibility) candidate. Especially given the democratic party's "electoral college disadvantage".

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:35am

Or alternatively Pops, the people were so desperate to get Trump out, the Dems could have fielded a nutless monkey and still have got the same numbers.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:41am

Disagree with that Zen, given both the sheer number of votes Trump did get, plus the difference between Bidens vote % and the generic democratic party's vote % as I wrote above. If a candidate who's popularity mirrored that of the party as a whole was put forward, it would have been really bloody close - Trump may well have got up.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:57am

Agree Zen you could have put anyone up against Trump and the results would be similar, people didnt vote for or against Biden

They voted for or against Trump, last time was different because no body thought Trump had a chance, so didn't bother going to the effort of voting.

Next election numbers might be up again cause it will be about voting for or against Biden, it will be the Trump fans time to get payback (That's if Biden is still alive or of health to run again)

But after that i bet the voting numbers will be down again.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:53am

I think that Biden got the white elderly vote who may have voted Trump in 2016 but were disgusted with his pandemic response.

thats a huge voting bloc.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 10:58am

Indo, how then do you explain Biden outperforming his party by a solid amount? If it was purely a referendum against Trump, you'd expect that voters would have moved to erode his power base (republican senate seats etc) in an equal measure to voting against him in the presidential election, no?

Not denying that the election was in a large part a referendum for/against Trump, but the data does seem to suggest that Biden was a more electible than average (i.e if you interpret the wider democratic party vote as a proxy for some "generic" democrat) candidate.

FR, yeah seems that way, + a good chunk of suburban white women perhaps?

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm

Not a meme...but pretty damn funny.
Check these stupid old Geezers out.

and....Tom Morello's response.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tom-morello-responds-to-trump-supporters-...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:30pm

It’s laughable that Trump apologists here are saying anyone could have beaten him. Pathetic really, first Donny was cheated, next expect pro trump riots now anyone could have beaten him. Well maybe that’s true coz Trump was so fucking terrible for America and liberal democracies around the world. Now anything substantial? Piss and wind isn’t cutting it not with Trump not here.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm

This is almost as pathetic as General Bone Spurs playing Credence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son at his rallies.
It's like his fan club have a genetic abnormalities which impacts a person's ability to understand musical lyrics.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:55pm

I don’t see how you can speculate about Biden’s success compared to other potential Democratic candidates when we really don’t know how they would’ve performed, it’s a guess. They had a few excellent, much younger candidates, capable of taking the US into the future for two terms. It’s a far stretch to say Biden could see out two terms let alone one.

Biden is a career politician who has frankly, not been very impressive, IMO. Seems like a nice enough guy in a grandpa sort of way sure, and he has had some very horrible things happen to him in his life too which would give him credentials as a leader. But inspirational, no, that is something Biden isn’t.

I think the best thing Biden has to offer is his understanding of suffering.

Even Biden acknowledges he is a transitional president. He will be president for at least two years, then Kamala can take over and run for a further 2 terms! This is why Biden was the man for 2020, he offered a strategy for the Dems to be the incumbents not just for the 2024 election but the 2028 election as well. My prediction is he will abdicate to Harris early in 2023.

I don’t understand why people think he was the only way to beat Trump. When Obama won in 2008 he did it coming from relative obscurity but built momentum with a message of hope, positivity and spoke to the US people as a whole even though they were fractured. ‘Yes we can’ I thought was a genius message to inspire voters and I cannot understand why people think that at perhaps the zenith of US polarisation, appealing to the citizens hope for building a better future would be a lesser option than appealing to the citizens fears for the future. My guess is that the potential for almost ten years of President Kamala Harris had something more to do with it.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm

The sympathy for Trump that keeps on flowing on here is so bizarre.. Maybe these people are watching something else unfold.....

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Monday, 9 Nov 2020 at 1:47pm

No sympathy here Rabbit. He made his bed. Time for him to put the big boy pants on and step aside.