The United States(!) of A

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 at 11:12am

Septic Tanks are going to Septic Tank

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:50am
gsco wrote:

It's an equally massive failure by all parties involved and no one single party is solely to blame, no matter how badly one wants to believe so and wishes it to be true.

BS…there is not equal blame.
However feel free to explain how the blame is equally spread?

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 11:12am

On a slightly positive note, my contingent of friends who are Russian is like most people relatively small, but the smattering of the ones i do have in Australia, and around the world (all younger generation) are condemning Putin and calling for Russian soldiers to put down their weapons and stop immediately. None of them live in Russia however, under Putin's regime, so not sure how the general population of Russia is viewing the attrocities he's currently dealing to the Ukranian people. Can only hope the larger Russian population are seeing this for what it is, an unprovoked violent attack. I can't accept that there's any reasonable excuse why their military would enter their country and start destroying lives and properties.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 11:31am
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 11:39am

Check it out, Belarus Today, one of Belarus' biggest papers, not even a mention of it on their front page. Just links to it on sidebar in the breaking section.
Don't mention the war huh? Extreme propaganda?
https://www.sb.by/

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 12:30pm
Robwilliams wrote:

The pen is still as mighty as the sword

Abc news
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-27/russia-cracks-down-on-media-for-r...

Western nations like the United States Great Britain and Australia are clearly a lot more advanced than Russia.
Russia has to threaten its press whereas western press has largely already been brought to heel.
Manufacturing consent?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 1:05pm
Robwilliams wrote:

The pen is still as mighty as the sword

Abc news
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-27/russia-cracks-down-on-media-for-r...

Dictators, autocratic rulers, assholes, African kingdoms etc etc, don’t have the control as previous. The internet and social media spreads info far faster than print media. Pretty hard to bs the public now days.

Russia won’t be able to promote the controlled bias news they want to spread.

Things are looking pretty bad for Putin. Could be the end of him. He ain’t got many friends that will take him in.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 1:08pm
bluediamond wrote:

Check it out, Belarus Today, one of Belarus' biggest papers, not even a mention of it on their front page. Just links to it on sidebar in the breaking section.
Don't mention the war huh? Extreme propaganda?
https://www.sb.by/

Lukashenko…freely gives blow jobs to Putin. He is a committed fan boy.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 1:19pm

The west is going after rich Russians all around the world. They will limit travel, cancel visas, remove kids from schooling…it has started with sports, f1 and football. Start confiscating homes, private planes, yachts, cars. They will do this to cause mumbling at home…none of these rich Russians wants to live in Russia.
I would continue this…add tennis players and any other sports players doing their thing anywhere. Make them condemn Putin and the leaders or go home.
Stop the money flowing and people start to squeal.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 1:45pm
Roadkill wrote:

The west is going after rich Russians all around the world. They will limit travel, cancel visas, remove kids from schooling…it has started with sports, f1 and football. Start confiscating homes, private planes, yachts, cars. They will do this to cause mumbling at home…none of these rich Russians wants to live in Russia.
I would continue this…add tennis players and any other sports players doing their thing anywhere. Make them condemn Putin and the leaders or go home.

The more this is done the more effect it will have. Who's in your air bnbs restaurants business. Yes moneys tight but collective effort counts. You don't have to be nasty. Just ethical. Until pressure is felt. I don't hate Russians. Referring to Andy m and your other comment about media freedoms. We new this was going to happen. Common tactic of suppression in most conflicts. My known experience is they will filter everything and anything they can. The people in Ukraine will deliver what they can under the circumstances as they unfold. I fully support peace protests anywhere in the world
And the application of peaceful pressure. Boycott. Avoid
and condem Russia's actions where possible. If it moves into occupation and gorilla warfare at a later date. War crimes will be certain. Ugly truth is war sets its own rules so often. Despite agreements. Global collective towards peace anything less is an injustice to Ukraine at this stage. I don't really want to add to the glory talk of war but for those that defend the rights of peace I will always stand with you as I stand with Ukraine. Truma from past conflicts are still deeply embedded in my family. Freedom is the greatest gold on earth and peace to all fuck Putin

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:15pm

I’m increasingly of the view that Xi has had a significant hand in underwriting Putin’s confidence. China now have a critical role in convincing Putin to walk back off the cliff of insanity. I’m not directly linking Ukraine with Taiwan. It’s far more nuanced than that, as the link I posted a week ago outlines. Taiwan aside, there’s a lot in it for the CCP;
1. If Putin had succeeded in his military operation quickly, ‘cleanly’ and Ukrainian political leadership, military will and popular support had collapsed, it would have reinforced the decline of ‘the West’, highlighted the flakiness of US support for ‘allies’ and caused a lot of countries to take notice. This opportunity has passed, in my assessment.
2. If Putin’s adventure fails or drags out into an extended quagmire (which looks increasingly likely), then Xi may be able to demonstrate diplomatic clout with Putin. Perhaps coming out as a ‘neutral’ mediator with an reinforced global role / reputation. This would reinforce their sense of place and their narrative that they are the peaceful authoritarians.
3. Either way, Russia will be isolated diplomatically and probably financially from global affairs and markets. This outcome was apparent from the start of the sabre-rattling. What I think this does is increase Russia’s dependency on China. Recent reports have highlighted the lifeline that China has thrown Russia on trade. But this comes at a cost, concentration of markets gives the CCP a lot of leverage over Russia. A helluva lot. Over time, if Russia’s dependency continues / increases they’re a on short road to vassal statehood. Don’t forget that China and Russia have historical territorial rub points in the East.

4. Look at the the timing of their ‘no limits’ announcement and the delay of the launch of the assault until right after the Olympics concluded. This delay in the launch of the Russian offensive will not play in their favour as the spring thaw starts. This will start to reduce the ability of Russian forces to manoeuvre cross-country, further channeling their fighting echelons, but more importantly their already vulnerable resupply, onto formed roads.

TL:DR?
I think it is likely that China has played a strategically smart, and significant, role in encouraging Putin’s military adventurism.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm

Another cogent analysis from Stan Grant on the diminution of US hegemony:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-27/war-on-ukraine-where-did-americas...

Interestingly Russias' GDP is similar to Brazil and Australia, however Russia has a disproportionate influence on geopolitics (particularly in the use of proxies to pursue its' foreign policy objectives)
https://databank.worldbank.org/data/download/GDP.pdf

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:08pm

Robw:
I’m going to be a pedant… it’s “guerrilla” warfare.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:20pm
Robwilliams wrote:
Roadkill wrote:

The more this is done the more effect it will have. Who's in your air bnbs restaurants business. Yes moneys tight but collective effort counts. You don't have to be nasty. Just ethical. Until pressure is felt. I don't hate Russians. Referring to Andy m and your other comment about media freedoms. We new this was going to happen. Common tactic of suppression in most conflicts. My known experience is they will filter everything and anything they can. The people in Ukraine will deliver what they can under the circumstances as they unfold. I fully support peace protests anywhere in the world
And the application of peaceful pressure. Boycott. Avoid
and condem Russia's actions where possible. If it moves into occupation and gorilla warfare at a later date. War crimes will be certain. Ugly truth is war sets its own rules so often. Despite agreements. Global collective towards peace anything less is an injustice to Ukraine at this stage. I don't really want to add to the glory talk of war but for those that defend the rights of peace I will always stand with you as I stand with Ukraine. Truma from past conflicts are still deeply embedded in my family. Freedom is the greatest gold on earth and peace to all fuck Putin

I don’t think Russians, other than a few nationalists, want war, Russians are sick and tired of conflict because their leaders are assholes. The army on the most part looks like a bunch of guys that needed jobs.

The whole thing is sad and stupid and as usual the innocent will die and suffer and kill.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:22pm

Bang on RK. There’s more protest in Russia coming. I feel for the mums and dads of Russian kids who are dying for nothing in an unjust, pointless and ego-driven war.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:37pm
etarip wrote:

Robw:
I’m going to be a pedant… it’s “guerrilla” warfare.

Yes. I'm having trouble with text pad and correction. Unable edit some times. Outside of that my brain is occupied. No offence intended. I knew it but couldn't change it. Tech novice

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:36pm

Robw: all good. It does my head in, but I’ve had so many autocorrect fails myself that I shouldn’t be commenting on someone else’s

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:41pm

Etarip what exactly do you think Putin’s military objectives are here? What’s he trying to achieve, what’s his plan?

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:55pm
etarip wrote:

Robw: all good. It does my head in, but I’ve had so many autocorrect fails myself that I shouldn’t be commenting on someone else’s

I'm almost sure I'm a dyslexic guerrilla.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:58pm
gsco wrote:

Etarip what exactly do you think Putin’s military objectives are here? What’s he trying to achieve, what’s his plan?

Million dollar question gsco.
(Actually estimated as a 20bn dollar / day question)
Break it down into 2 parts. What did he want and what’s next.

I think he went for broke. All-in. He wanted to force the collapse of the Ukrainian military, the capitulation of the government and the destruction of the will to resist of the Ukrainians. Goal: regime change.

I think he failed in his objectives, with the operational plan he employed. I’ve outlined my thoughts on this a few pages back. Russian Army simply not capable of conducting the type of operation he wanted. Ukrainian Army was better than he expected.

What does he do now?

Unfortunately, I think he’s going to double and triple down. He’s toast domestically if he doesn’t ‘win’. His forces are still incapable of doing this ‘cleanly’ so they’ll go back to what they know: the Russian way of war. Massed fires, echeloned forces and damn the casualties and collateral damage. The Ukrainians will get better at targeting the very thing that Putin relies on for ‘surgical’ operations - battlefield aviation - as stingers arrive. So, Russians will increasingly use indirect fire - rockets and artillery - to pave the way for their shithouse infantry.

By tripling down I don’t rule out threatening the West to cease supply of weapons to Ukraine. And no limits on his threats. I now fully believe that Putin has gone from being a rational actor.

The only alternate plan for him now is to seize as much territory as he can as a bargaining chip in case he’s forced to the table (see my comments on China above). Problem is, that holding that ground will not exert the influence he thinks it will, and it will come with an ongoing cost.

Short answer, fuck knows.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 3:01pm
Roadkill wrote:
gsco wrote:

It's an equally massive failure by all parties involved and no one single party is solely to blame, no matter how badly one wants to believe so and wishes it to be true.

BS…there is not equal blame.
However feel free to explain how the blame is equally spread?

Pretty quiet there, gsco?
Would love you to explain how the UK, UN, USA, EU etc etc are all equally to blame as Putin for him invading Ukraine?

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 3:40pm

Thanks Etraip. Yes it's very hard to see where Putin is going with this and what is the intended end goal. I've been reading all your stuff above and finding it really interesting. Re China, I think there is a very strong chance Putin has even surprised China too since there's a lot of Chinese stuck in Ukraine and they appear to be having a meltdown and panic about how to stay safe.

Roadkill, you're welcome to read some books and non-popular-media commentary and analysis of the past say 150 years of modern history, and specifically European history, the cold war, US-Russia relations, NATO and the UN, etc.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 3:48pm
gsco wrote:

Thanks Etraip. Yes it's very hard to see where Putin is going with this and what is the intended end goal. I've been reading all your stuff above and finding it really interesting. Re China, I think there is a very strong chance Putin has even surprised China too since there's a lot of Chinese stuck in Ukraine and they appear to be having a meltdown and panic about how to stay safe.

Roadkill, you're welcome to read some books and non-popular-media commentary and analysis of the past say 150 years of modern history, and specifically European history, the cold war, US-Russia relations, NATO and the UN, etc.

A book is not going to tell me why you think blame for Putin’s invasion is equally spread amongst the countries and orgs you said are equally to blame.
I’m trying to work out why someone would think that.

You made the call, expand on the thinking.
Are you not able to? Is it easy to make excuses now you have said it?

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 4:01pm

haha. This is pretty classic

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 4:11pm

The media around Russian money is pretty interesting in the UK. The 2 main parties have both received quite a bit…both are trying to walk it back..both are blaming each other as guilty.

It’s a murky murky world full of deceit and obfuscation.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 4:42pm
Roadkill wrote:

The media around Russian money is pretty interesting in the UK. The 2 main parties have both received quite a bit…both are trying to walk it back..both are blaming each other as guilty.

It’s a murky murky world full of deceit and obfuscation.

heard plenty of crew say they've had inquries into this for over 10 years now, and the conclusion is always the same, UK (especially london) is awash with russian corruption money and they need to do something about it...

nothing was done

it was actually a big issue around brexit, and housing affordability being out of control due to russian corruption money buying real estate - bit like australia, except we service the chinese mafia rather than the russians...

so many warning signs have been ignored... so many chickens coming home to roost...

same with germany being warned not to make themselves reliant on russian gas... now about 60-70% reliant for their energy needs i heard the other day

the extreme globalisation / neoliberal world order is well and truly done now... you would hope... she's a stubborn bohemoth...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 4:47pm

china trying to stay out of it...

china trying to appear they've stayed out of it...

its all bullshit, they are colluding big time, heard they have cut a deal with russia to ensure their border is safe so russia can move all required military hardware from russia china border

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 5:31pm

With so much misinformation/disinformation it’s hard to know what’s what with all the various stories . This guy who I have know idea if he’s authentic or not ( disabled war vet ) has put up a lot of posts debunking stories from the war . https://twitter.com/bryandmcnally/status/1497591202937552899?s=21

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 6:00pm
sypkan wrote:

its all bullshit, they are colluding big time, heard they have cut a deal with russia to ensure their border is safe so russia can move all required military hardware from russia china border

China in it up to their elbows. My comment above.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 6:05pm

Jeez hows the unseen 911 footage.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 6:06pm

Agree, fully immersed and watching the play book unfold for their Taiwan plans

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 6:16pm
udo wrote:

@udo , I looked at that and was thinking how could people possibly believe that 911 was fake .

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:06pm
etarip wrote:
sypkan wrote:

China in it up to their elbows. My comment above.

100%. And watching the world watch. Kind of trying to distance themselves from active complicit support.

China knew all that was going to happen. Putin was in China for the Olympics but not really there for the Olympics. A convenient excuse.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:08pm
Supafreak wrote:
udo wrote:

@udo , I looked at that and was thinking how could people possibly believe that 911 was fake .

For the same reason people believe covid is fake, vaccines don’t work and it's all about govt control.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm

Finally some people can see beyond the conspiracy theories and see whats really
happening. Yes China and Russia are colluding together and are going to make
a real war they are making a move for world domination and guess what we wont
be relatively spared like WW2 we are Chinas No1 target. We are in real shit and
so is the world. Now watch all the hating American bitches on here cry for help
from our only hope good old USA.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:22pm

Thought the same Supa..

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:58pm
seaslug wrote:

Agree, fully immersed and watching the play book unfold for their Taiwan plans

Hopefully they’re taking the right lessons out of it…

Ukraine is a largely rural country of 41m, surrounded on 3 sides by Russia / Russian allies (actually 4 if you include Moldova). The US has explicitly stated that they will not put boots on the ground in support of Ukraine. Russia haven’t been able to take a single operational objective.

Taiwan is a largely urbanised country of 35 million that is 80km at its closest point to mainland China. It is under a security treaty with the US. Anyone who thinks that an successful Chinese invasion of Taiwan is a fait accompli has not read much military history. Especially if the Taiwanese are half as motivated as the Ukrainians.

That’s what I hope China is taking away from this. And they don’t revert to war.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:03pm
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:33pm
udo wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CabHVhRBKv3/

Can you really take this serious when Morrison is spoken about as being the same and having the same motivation as Putin?

What a dick comment from Doherty.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:34pm

Not a massive fan of guardian reporting. But this is a good read, from a Russian, on a historical perspective on how we ended up with the Putin that we did. It’s very Russian in its style, FR76 would be proud, but I think it is a great counterpoint to the ‘cornered Putin’ that some would like us to picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/27/vladimir-putin-rus...

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:47pm

Paging Vladalotovodka....
Hope he hasn't been sent to the front.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:09pm
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 5:52am

Belarus getting involved, like a good Putin lap dog. Putin puts nukes on special alert..due to Nato aggression.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 6:13am

Putin is losing his marbles.
Reporting that he’s fired his military chief and now put nuclear forces on alert. Are the two events linked?

The outcome of this debacle may just be regime change. Not in Ukraine. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 6:50am

I mentioned the theory that Putin wasn’t getting, or more likely not listening to, good advice.

This article by a retired Russian Colonel, published about 3 weeks ago, talking down the chances of a lightning Russian victory, appears to have been validated.

It should automatically translate via this link:
https://nvo-ng-ru.translate.goog/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html?_...

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 8:46am
etarip wrote:

Putin is losing his marbles.
Reporting that he’s fired his military chief and now put nuclear forces on alert. Are the two events linked?

The outcome of this debacle may just be regime change. Not in Ukraine. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

He seems cut off from reality, reported as holed up in a mountain location. The minions will be scared to feed him the truth/reality.
Lost the plot and believes all the publicity he has written about himself as a real manly man.

He would absolutely lose his shit as the media portrays the Ukraine leader, a comic, as a hero staying to fight compared to Putin…stuck somewhere hiding from the world.

More protests in Russia, next should be a crackdown on his own people.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 10:45am

From comfort it is always easy to speculate. Dictate. Eradicate. You will never be challenged to a sense. Easy to appear strong when you are safe. See it every where. The untouchable comfortably disingaged from the reality of untrained truths. Who are our true leaders in times of uncertainty. The regular johns always step up. You can see it daily in with who you engage with. And who's truly got your back. From a political sense to an individual sense. Truth hurts. Defiance and positive change never starts with cowards at the front. Don't wait to be led in times of uncertainty or hard reality. Appathy ignorance and negligence never changed shit. What ever the problem. Educated uneducated rich or poor. Positive change starts and ends with us. Mindset and actions. Anything less is easy comfort.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 10:37am
Roadkill wrote:
udo wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CabHVhRBKv3/

Can you really take this serious when Morrison is spoken about as being the same and having the same motivation as Putin?

What a dick comment from Doherty.

Agreed, embarrassing.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 10:41am

A paragraph from the ABC article someone shared. It summarises the heart of the problem.

"From crisis to crisis," Holslag said, "the Western world lost more of its power." America and the broader West, he said, needs civic renewal but instead is mired in culture wars that chip away at the foundations that made the West strong in the first place.

shortenism's picture
shortenism's picture
shortenism Monday, 28 Feb 2022 at 10:45am

Quite fascinating, seeing how quickly ppl forget that we have just been played for 2+ years by the same mob who are now declaring Putin is gonna nuke us all.... And a lot are falling for it. Is the threat really that big, is it even a real threat?

There are so many legacy false claims about these kind of issues. You don't have to cast your mind back too long to remember the US leaving $B's worth of artillery in Afghanistan and how we were bombarded with propaganda about how the middle east would turn into a slaughter house... And?

Whilst I don't know what is going on exactly, what I do know is if your information source is the same information source that led to you rushing out for a shot(s) of god knows what to keep you 'safe', then you are being lied to.