The United States(!) of A

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 27 Aug 2020 at 11:12am

Septic Tanks are going to Septic Tank

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:22am

The Ukraine is fighting for their lands and for their people, Russia is fighting because an autocratic ruler told them to. Ukraine is pretty much united and Russia is not united at home. I think Putin will run to the negotiation table the Ukraine has suggested because if he doesn't end this soon he is fucked at home…he might already be fucked if the gathering dissent at home gets stronger.
War is fucking stupid.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:31am

And, on the subject of Finland.
Here’s the Russian MFA threatening another neighbouring country:
Edit: and Sweden too

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:25am

The west is providing weapons to the Ukraine…if Putin thinks he is clever, he ain’t got nothing on the intelligence the west is providing to Ukraine. Anything he does, has already been factored in and passed onto the Ukraine. He has zero surprises…but will be surprised himself.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:31am

This is a good thread:

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 10:48am

Keen to hear what VJ, gsco, donw (and anyone else) etc make of all this with your finance brains.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 10:51am

Unbelievable that the old bloke survived. https://twitter.com/9newsaus/status/1497348651626156032?s=21

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 11:28am
Roadkill wrote:

The west is providing weapons to the Ukraine…if Putin thinks he is clever, he ain’t got nothing on the intelligence the west is providing to Ukraine. Anything he does, has already been factored in and passed onto the Ukraine. He has zero surprises…but will be surprised himself.

If the anti-air systems that Stoltenberg has just referenced get there in good time the problem is going to get a lot harder for the Russians. They haven’t achieved air superiority, let alone supremacy, yet.
If the Ukrainians are smart (yes, I think) they’ll have moved all their air assets as close to the polish border as possible, limiting the avenues of approach that the Russian Air Force can use for their attacks. This will make the deployment of UKR anti-air systems more efficient as they’ll effectively have reduced the aperture that they need to protect. Then push a bunch of man-portable AD systems forward to assist in the urban fights, where Russia is going to need close air support.

Helicopters and fixed wing attack aviation are going to be more vulnerable in those environments.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 11:25am
Supafreak wrote:

Unbelievable that the old bloke survived. https://twitter.com/9newsaus/status/1497348651626156032?s=21

Social media and phones will be the downfall of this attack/invasion/war. When innocent people start getting done support will drop away.

Truly amazing that guy lived.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 11:45am
Optimist wrote:

Good post at 6.15 last night Blowin….and some of what Stan Grant wrote in Andy m’s was good too….I particularly liked the comment that the west seemed to be “on a journey to anywhere”…. Russia seems to want some of its motherland back without communism and I think they will stop there. China however is a different story, they have a global vision and their new soldier could be a quantum computer with Ai. Our problem in the west is that we have become so “ loose” in our way of life ,pandering to every weird desire from anyone from any minority group and then making it law that our adversaries no longer have any respect for us or our culture……we are fast becoming a Godless fractured tribal dogs breakfast and other cultures don’t want it anymore whereas we used to be desirable.

Agree to some of this we are so consumed by consumerism and keeping up with jones. We fail to have in depth moments of meaning for along time like in the past. Eg constantly conected. Tech advancement was ment to make life less busy we are now contactable twenty fours a day etc. we have lost simple conection to lifes most basic roots in the rush to get where. Signs of this are everywhere. People have become further consumed with themselves etc. a detriment to society as a whole. Do people really consider the virtues of democracy in an already busy life from one day to the next unless their is something in it for them of benift. I think simple observation of a lot of issues this can be seen. We can only control or direct or inner circle. Basic rights of democracy still remain the same. Collectective movements are connected stronger than ever now. For good or bad.
Take off our shoes stand on the grass or sand. Reconnect.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 11:49am
etarip wrote:

Keen to hear what VJ, gsco, donw (and anyone else) etc make of all this with your finance brains.

https://twitter.com/rtperson3/status/1497250049004380165?s=21

Just helping some friends save their belongings in the floods on the not-so-Sunny Coast.. But I’m definitely keen to look into that.

A few things I’d say is the sanction environment is still very fluid, a lot also depends on the trajectory of the war, it’s hard to predict the way Russia‘a ties with currently relatively quiet countries like China and India will evolve, and the crypto economy is very big and hard to quantify.

Another thing I’d say is this invasion seems very planned and I actually doubt anything is playing out in a way that isn’t predicted and contingency planned by Russia.

It seems that Russia is fed up and no longer cares too much about being part of the US-UK-EU political and economic world, and will have planned very carefully for this.

Overall I think it’s currently way too early to start speculating about longer term financial and economic consequences.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:00pm

Thanks gsco. look forward to hearing from you when you get your mate sorted! Priorities! We just got rained out helping my dad do some fencing.

“ Another thing I’d say is this invasion seems very planned and I actually doubt anything is playing out in a way that isn’t predicted and contingency planned by Russia.”

Disagree. Russia’s already had a number of tactical and operational stumbles. I linked an article a few weeks ago that talked about the dangerous concentration of influence around Putin. There’s risk in ascribing some kind of mythical strategic genius to Putin. He’s not necessarily getting ‘good’ advice. It’s likely that people are telling him what he wants to hear. That’s a recurring feature in authoritarian states. Russia’s got form in poor operational planning and execution. And hasn’t come up against a ‘peer’ adversary in recent memory.

“It seems that Russia is fed up and no longer cares too much about being part of the US-UK-EU political and economic world, and will have planned very carefully for this.”

Agree, but I’m not convinced that they control all the levers. You can plan all you want, but that doesn’t remove risk.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:06pm

The Chinese, have hung Putin out. I doubt the Russians will be happy. Very isolated now.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:24pm

"Disagree. Russia’s already had a number of tactical and operational stumbles. I linked an article a few weeks ago that talked about the dangerous concentration of influence around Putin. There’s risk in ascribing some kind of mythical strategic genius to Putin. He’s not necessarily getting ‘good’ advice. It’s likely that people are telling him what he wants to hear. That’s a recurring feature in authoritarian states."

heard a few commenters say how they think putin has 'changed' of late... gone colder and harder of late - if that's possible... you could see it when he gave his security council dude a dressing down the other day. it was like something straight out of a james bond film

he's stepping into ultimate villian territory

“It seems that Russia is fed up and no longer cares too much about being part of the US-UK-EU political and economic world, and will have planned very carefully for this.”

he's thinking of legacy, he sees opportunity, he thinks the west is cooked, weak and divided, ...he thinks the planets have aligned...

he also couldn't give a shit about sanctions and them sending his people into decades of poverty and isolation

his 'mission' is more important

seems he's gone full looney on a quest

seems he may have overlooked a lot of things too

but I don't think he cares

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:33pm
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:54pm
sypkan wrote:

"Disagree. Russia’s already had a number of tactical and operational stumbles. I linked an article a few weeks ago that talked about the dangerous concentration of influence around Putin. There’s risk in ascribing some kind of mythical strategic genius to Putin. He’s not necessarily getting ‘good’ advice. It’s likely that people are telling him what he wants to hear. That’s a recurring feature in authoritarian states."

heard a few commenters say how they think putin has 'changed' of late... gone colder and harder of late - if that's possible... you could see it when he gave his security council dude a dressing down the other day. it was like something straight out of a james bond film

he's stepping into ultimate villian territory

he's thinking of legacy, he sees opportunity, he thinks the west is cooked, weak and divided, ...he thinks the planets have aligned...

he also couldn't give a shit about sanctions and them sending his people into decades of poverty and isolation

Psycollogically and the environment he has lived in and under has all formed this to a T. The Russian leader legacy is most profound. In relation to his east west views and Russia's future direction. Russian people remain devided and isolated because some of these ideas and practices in relationship to how the west thinks behaves etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:46pm

I see the question above, will answer later if I get time, but in the meantime, memes are more important.

How not to win hearts and minds with Ukranian citizens:

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:48pm

We are starting to see themes being recognised within military ranks:

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:49pm

and

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:52pm

sypkan wrote;

he couldn't give a shit about sanctions and them sending his people into decades of poverty and isolation

Same could be said about Biden.
U.S. president with waning popularity and under preforming economy already involved in a foreign conflict.
Biden delivered what everyone expected from Trump,war.
Sheez,sure didn't see this coming?
It takes two to tango.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 12:55pm
etarip wrote:

AK47s to every man, woman and cat,

https://twitter.com/giantcat9

Thank me later.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 1:12pm

Don’t think this young man has plans of returning home anytime soon.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 1:12pm

Don’t think this young man has plans of returning home anytime soon.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 1:13pm

A quick note: if we remember the 1930's into Dec 7, 1941: the US was in the grip of depression, mass unemployment, shanty towns, violence at times (eg Gangsters with their 'Chicago Pianos', division. It was at about a loss of 40% utilisation of what it was capable of. Of course they began before, but war galvanised them and by 1944 they were putting out the most stupendous military output the world has ever seen, and won a war on two fronts.

https://www.navyhistory.org/2015/09/historical-murderers-row-photograph-...

They built 24 of these in record time.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 1:41pm
troppo dichotomy wrote:

sypkan wrote;

he couldn't give a shit about sanctions and them sending his people into decades of poverty and isolation

Same could be said about Biden.
U.S. president with waning popularity and under preforming economy already involved in a foreign conflict.
Biden delivered what everyone expected from Trump,war.
Sheez,sure didn't see this coming?
It takes two to tango.

yep, and that is why this situation is so dangerous...

the difference is though, putin is a one man pschyo show

and biden is s puppet

incapable of dressing himself in the morning without help, he's the face of an operation and that's it

putin is feared as a one man psycho show

joe is mocked as a one man puppet show

which is also dangerous, and no doubt got us into this mess, but thankfully, biden isn't actually in charge of much at all...

(you could probably even include his toileting in that)

views from the cockpit's picture
views from the cockpit's picture
views from the ... Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 2:17pm

Lets just hope we see Putins decapitated head paraded on a stick real soon.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 5:27pm

velocity so after reading what you spat out does that mean Hitler didnt invade countries
and kill millions of people and Japan didnt attack Pearl Harbour and invade other countries
as well. Was all this just a Hollywood propaganda movie. Wow I think you should rewrite
the history books. Im shocked

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 5:51pm

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 5:51pm

I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick there evo

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:09pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:26pm

Geez that’s nuts. Resistance in full effect.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:47pm
seeds wrote:

Just look like ordinary people in the small flash you get of the crowd.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 26 Feb 2022 at 9:49pm
evosurfer wrote:

velocity so after reading what you spat out does that mean Hitler didnt invade countries
and kill millions of people and Japan didnt attack Pearl Harbour and invade other countries
as well. Was all this just a Hollywood propaganda movie. Wow I think you should rewrite
the history books. Im shocked

Hi Evo I think I may not have been clear - as this is the US thread, the thought occurred to me to compare the US then with the US now (gets ripped so much as it's divided, policy isn't right, politicians bought - they thought the New Dealers were commos, too...). In both cases it is not at peak economic performance. What I wanted to point out, is last time, when it was required, the US shaped up well, very quickly.

This detracts in no way from Imperial Japan's expansion from 1931 onward (WW2 really began in 1937 with Japan in China) which made war inevitable, nor does it detract from Hitler's expansion.

There are very few books that are banned in the West. One of them is (was?) David Irving's "Hitler and His Generals." Perhaps it was that the German 'economic miracle'* under the nazis was due in no small part to taking over a country, amalgamating resources, channeling into war material, then repeating. Not sustainable.

* the other part was Hjalmar Schacht and his mefobills - remarkable economic story.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 12:29am

Seems to be a serious backlash inside Russia against this war already. Declarations yesterday of Nobel Prize winner Dmitri Muratov, possibly the most respected journalist in Russia and editor-in-chief of Novaya Gazeta. He announced that Friday's Novaya Gazeta will be published in two languages, Russian and Ukrainian. He said:
"We will publish this issue of Novaya Gazeta (coming out on Friday) in two languages--Ukrainian and Russian. Because we do not recognize Ukraine as an enemy, and the Ukrainian language as an enemy. And we will never recognize it´.
Thirty different Russian news outlets including among others RT, Kommersant, Novaya Gazeta, and even TASS, claiming to represent the entire independent news industry in Russia- pretty unprecedented - put online a joint statement reading:
"Today President of Russia Vladimir Putin started a war with Ukraine. Pain, rage, and shame--those three words reflect our feelings about these events. This avantyura [cognate to "adventure", but with a negative tone, "reckless act"] will bring grief to thousands of families in Ukraine and Russia. This avantyura will start a big war which will involve other states. At the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis the world was not so close to global crisis."

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 1:38am

Invasion > Crisis > Conflict > War (Rhetoric changes to suit the Agenda)
All unify against Russian Invasion...Oops! It's just one of them Local War thingies...[Press] to opt out!
Not our War! Sounds warm & fuzzy & rings familiar!

I mean, Chicken Kiev is a Russian Dish & always will be! Right...say Wot (A Ukrainian / Russian #@! Ok!)

Salute to Wiki (very good concise version of events) tbb will run a few of these links...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia%E2%80%93Ukraine_relations

2019 Poll 77% Ukraine / 82% Russians think positively of one another (No reason to Kill each other!)
Defies belief that these kindest of neighbourly folk are at war! (Take nothing for granted!)

10 Dec 1991 Founding state Ukraine ratified agreement to Commonwealth of Independent States
April 1994 Ukraine joined the CIS Economic Union ( Free Trade Pact)
7th May 2009 Ukraine joined "EU > Eastern Partnership" (Avoids stepping stone Membership Focus)
This is where Putin draws the line...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Partnership
2018 Ukraine "Stopped Participating in CIS" (Nowhere does it state they left...still tied to the mast!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States

Wiki claims Ukraine's de facto states are under de facto control of Russia (Very Diplomatic!)

Ukraine Citizens can't stay longer than 30 days in Europe nor work there...(Reffos are Illegal Aliens!)
Pretty soon they'll need Biometric scans to visit & those from Frontline or conflict zones are banned.
Sure! More freedom & longer stays on offer just more alienation during the process (It's a life!)
https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/ukrainians#:~:text=Although....

After like ages...Ukraine has never really been openly welcome to join EU or NATO as West makes out.
Likely thru fear of retaliation...as being played out now.
Must be said that DFAT Australia / Canada peace corps are Democratizing Ukraine with Care Programs.
This is all level > very slick on Yuppie scale. (Think Democrat Jocks!) Lots of Glossy fanfare.
Australia will ensure Free Ukraine Dental to deny Oz healthcare Dental. (This is War!)

Wiki : In Contested (de facto) East zones...twice as many residents favour Russia over EU.
Most in Contested Zone prefer ECU Eurasian Union over EU.
Not sure if that counts as Invasion perhaps a heavy handed Conflict.
All agree it's off the charts & would feel much better if it stops!

Ukraine Provocation : Any Pollie opting out of Ukraine EU deal would become politically dead!
Strictly not true as in itself screams of lack of identity. (Many wish Oz to join EU) We're not dead yet!
But it does show why Putin's warning has warn out...reeling Ukraine back in from the Yuppies!

Everything is opposite to what we see on the Telly & that's how Conflicts fester.
We only get the one version of events.

Here's an obvious example of most bizarre open acceptance of 'Ukraine' by Putin. (Never heard of this!)
2014 Russian Olympics approved Ukraine to compete under their own flag...(During the revolution)
2022 IOC would back Russia in banning athletes for staging political protests with a Rogue Flag.
As it is...we see Fifa / Eurovision / IOC / Russia accept Ukraine Sovereignty but not EU/Nato ?
Not sure if that's a big deal..but Putin never banned his own Rogue State from his own Olympics (Odd!)

Sanctions / Commodities.
2014 Russian incursion of Ukraine ( EU Sanctions) are still in force.
https://www.sanctionsmap.eu/#/main/details/26/lists?search=%7B%22value%2...
Russia has long banned Oz commodities (Beef / seafood / Fruit / Dairy etc) in response to EU sanctions
World agrees that loudest chest beater Oz stands to benefit the most from Russian sanctions.
Vaccine / Medications are not included in any sanctions...or so we're led to believe! (cont...below!)

(Vaccines!)
Over 100 nations approve world's first vax Sputnik V but EU/WHO forever stalls it's approval.
US / EU have said, even if WHO approve it they will never approve Russian Vax ever.
Yes! They openly admit that it's political as they fear Russia will access more strategic outposts.
However! Some part/Euro States have approved it & others (Italy / Germany) are supportive.

Ukraine are not in the EU but also banned Russian Vax. (This is of Vital divisional importance!)
Fueling the Conflict as Russians must leave to get vaxed & Quarantine on return to de facto zones.
Once a Russian leaves Ukraine they are mandated a 2 wk Govt Quarantine + screening + tracking.
Basically a default border check / Division + weapons check
Fully Vaxed must download apps to be "Fully Tracked" as political Prisoners beholden to Ukraine.
Ukraine are only 34% Vaxed > Russians doing the right thing are imprisoned for being Double Vaxed
Again (Vax is hugely weaponized) In this case used as an instrument for default War Camps by Ukraine.

* 8th Jan 2022 Oz banned, bullied, chased, strip searched & then deported a Russian Tennis Chick.
17th Jan during the Tennis...TGA quietly approved Sputnik V without EU / WHO / FDA endorsement.
https://www.tga.gov.au/international-covid-19-vaccines-recognised-australia

Why did Daggy Dad lift his knee from Putin's Neck at such a crucial moment?
Coalition EU / US / Canada / Japan & even China all ban Sputnik V. (vs) Scomo luvs Putin's Vax.
Vaxed Russians can up periscope our Wahzoos! (vs) Unvaxed Aussies can't even do a Titans drug run.
Are unvaxed Aussies more dangerous than Fully Loaded Comrades...(Whose side is our Leader on?)
How & why did Daggy Dad cross over to the Dark Side.

Answer! Nepal! (Huh!)
Russia supplies Oz # 3 Student Market with their Sputnik V...
Daggy had to get down on one knee to appeal to his Bully coalition to sanction a Vax Exemption...
Again! All about friends with benefits! Nothing to do with Gold Standard (Wanna see that again!)

9th April 2021 Germany were set to rollout Sputnik V & are super keen on the shot.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/09/germany-health-minister-calls-for-lockdo...
24 Feb 2022 Germany says even if Sputnik V is approved they will block production...(100% Political)
https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/02/24/us-ukraine-crisis-germany-sputnik
Reminding that emergency vax is exempt from sanctions & freely available to all during War/Peace.

tbb thinks the vax is looming large with all players...it keeps jumpin' the queue to rear it's head.
One reason being the endless reports that Sputnik V is the best performing omicron brew!
Russia could be sitting on a few $billion with a stamp & in a free market...not gonna happen!

Vaccine is an ongoing war in it's own right.
Few of the crew will know this....
March 2020 > China partnered with mRNA BioNTech before Pfizer was on the scene.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/03/16/2000704/0/en/BioNT...
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/biontech-to-prov...
Pfizer had already tied up Chinese market / distribution rights but China approved Pfizer not Sputnik V.
Don't assume China will rubber stamp all things Russian...that's wot most of this War is about.

*Chinese have full access to western Nations where Russians have none! (No one shares these facts)
We don't know or care to review this power shift in world order. (Check the latest East vs West)

World friendly beautiful Vax-Ukraine (West) //xXx\\ (East) > Russia-Evil Vax > No World access...(B&W)

You see! Just like them Comic books & yet again all totally ignore this Vax flashpoint in the War!
Similar loving people torn in half by 2 opposing Vaccines...one a dead world the other a living world.
No one can argue that away, yet very few see the evil of the vaccines playing out on a world stage

* World Powers are militarising Vax to deny Russia & Comrades access to western promise.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/09/27/us-travellers-sputnik-ru...
* Will nations rally to order WHO to block Russian Vax even if it's more accessible than current Vaxes?
* Will coalition demand fellow nations to stop rolling out Russian Vax?
* Will Scomo pull the plug on Russian Vax to lose Student's pocket money & Uni backing at the Polls!
We once again see Lib Govt up skirting Coalition sanctions to feather their own nest..(Now a Hobby!)
No one says a word that Evil Oz toasts Sputnik as Angelic Germany smashes unopened vials..
Crew know a break in the ranks is unforgiving but none here will read about Daggy Dad's dirty laundry.
Scomo roasts China but not even they are traitorous enough to shoot up that evil Sputnik...(All say Aye!)

Just saying that Putin is proud of #1 Vax & all deny Russia world access / entry to any that gaze upon it!
Putin has Vaxed 1 billion people & now they're dead to the world & west will ensure Putin is blamed.
Russian folk are spooked & ( Sputnik V ) Represents Russian Frontline at the heart of the Conflict.
Almost like Whole world are using Putin's Sputnik V as Kryptonite against him & He's going wild! He is!

East meets West do the right thing, line in the sand...Putin is seeking restitution & Ukraine will do nicely.
Trump: "The dude is so smart...he takes over this nerdy country for $2. "...(Blow Kiss..Luv You!)

Putin don't give a shit about Ukraine...he's teaching the world a lesson in iron glove diplomacy.
Ukraine is a personal punching bag, coz he's counting on it to restore global access to 1m more.
Just guessing if WHO / EU / FDA would just tick the goddamn boxes...this nightmare would go away!

Still think tbb is pushing shit up hill...this will hammer it home!
25th Feb 2022 Ukraine calls on International Community to sanction (RDIF)...Who & Why?
(RDIF) market Russian Covid Vaccines. (Ukraine made No exemption for Vax! Why is that?)
West are baiting Ukraine as a puppet to ban Russian Vax from entire World Market...
Already started...First Germany now Korea & soon the rest will follow...just doin' the right thing!
https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/02/779_324550.html
tbb doesn't need to go looking for this shit, coz it's oozing out of the matrix. (Experts don't notice!)

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 2:29am

"After like ages...Ukraine has never really been openly welcome to join EU or NATO as West makes out."
Maybe missed the point TBB but this isn't the case. Ukraine attended the EU summit in Vilnius on 28–29 November 2013 where the association agreement was originally planned to be signed (next step is full membership), at the time their president was pro-Russian Viktor Yanukovych.
The decision to put off signing the association agreement led to widespread protests and unrest in Ukraine and the pro-EU Euromaidan movement. This led to the removal of Yanukovych (who fled to Russia) and his government by parliament after the 2013–14 Ukrainian revolution in February 2014. Ukraine are due to apply for full EU membership in 2024.

Not sure about the link between this war and covid/vaccines, don't see that at all.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 6:01am

This was illuminating.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 7:03am

This is also an excellent read.

"HarperCollins settled agreeing to make changes most wouldn’t notice. It never went to a full hearing, but the case cost £1.5m – 178x the libel trial in France. HC was fined a small fortune for publishing a Putin book by the UK legal system."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/26/putin-british-rich...

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 8:46am
etarip wrote:
seeds wrote:

Just look like ordinary people in the small flash you get of the crowd.

That’s incredibly brave but incredibly sad too. Next time Putin won’t send armoured vehicles but will send tanks and there will be mass casualties.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:10am

What a disgraceful disaster for humanity this whole situation is.

What a spectacular failure of the international system, order, and major powers.

Every stakeholder in this situation - US, Russia, Ukraine, UN, EU, UK, NATO, etc - needs to spend significant time in the room of mirrors being brutally honest to themselves about their role in contributing to this situation.

How did things come to Putin being so enraged, so backed into a corner and so out of diplomatic options that he resorted to invading a whole country?

What a trajectory humanity is now suddenly now on.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:26am

"How did things come to Putin being so enraged, so backed into a corner and so out of diplomatic options that he resorted to invading a whole country?"

Because he is a classic autocrat realising the west would not intervene and he could capture Ukraine for immense geopolitical, strategic and economic gain for relatively little cost.

These are not the actions of some kind of enraged, reactive crazy.
This has been a highly coordinated and planned out exercise in military strategy by Putin.

He has been considering the cost/benefits of these incursions over a decade, including Georgia, Crimea and now Ukraine.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:29am

As he did for Georgia and then Crimea.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:32am

Things looking good in Ukraine over night. Things looking bad in Moscow over night. Not going to plan.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:39am

That’s straight up bullshit gsco. How the fuck was Putin ‘backed into a corner’ that his only option was a full-scale invasion of a sovereign country? Whatever your view on NATO / EU expansion, where is the consistency with Just War Principles? Where was the ‘imminent’ threat to Russia.

Looks like he’s made a couple of huge strategic and operational miscalculations. He may still achieve some of his objectives in Ukraine, but at what cost? The next phase of this increasingly ugly war will be horrifying. Russia, faced with the realisation that it is factually, structurally and doctrinally unable to conduct the type of precision / manoeuvre war it wants to, will turn to its legacy doctrine of massed fires. That’s going to result in massive casualties and damage.

The Putin apologists on this thread and in the media need to spend a bit more time looking in their own mirrors.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:44am
gsco wrote:

What a disgraceful disaster for humanity this whole situation is.

What a spectacular failure of the international system, order, and major powers.

Every stakeholder in this situation - US, Russia, Ukraine, UN, EU, UK, NATO, etc - needs to spend significant time in the room of mirrors being brutally honest to themselves about their role in contributing to this situation.

How did things come to Putin being so enraged, so backed into a corner and so out of diplomatic options that he resorted to invading a whole country?

What a trajectory humanity is now suddenly now on.

How is he backed into a corner?

The diplomatic community has tried to engage and work with Russia…you can’t force a country under autocratic rule to play by certain rules.

Putin is a megalomaniac that does want more power. The current situation is nearly all on Putin…blaming others is an excuse.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 9:48am

This is a decent read, providing the counterpoint to many of Putin’s (and his sympathisers’) hysterical accusations about NATO. Read it, or don’t.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_111767.htm

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:02am

It's an equally massive failure by all parties involved and no one single party is solely to blame, no matter how badly one wants to believe so and wishes it to be true.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:05am
gsco wrote:

It's an equally massive failure by all parties involved and no one single party is solely to blame, no matter how badly one wants to believe so and wishes it to be true.

While there may be contributing factors that can be considered in the wider geostrategic realm, the decision to undertake, and now continue and potentially to escalate, decisive military action against Ukraine is Putin’s and his alone. At least you can call that out.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:21am

Kind of weird being able to actually watch a war unfold these days online, especially a non middle eastern country (that you always expect to be unrest or war in)

Makes you glad to live in a country like Australia, but she shouldn't take our peace and prosperity for granted, everyone might hate the word patriot but one day we might have to all do what may Ukraine's are doing and become a patriot and fight for our country.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:32am

Only other comment I would make is the media coverage from both sides and across all platforms is just a disgraceful hyper-intensity of misinformation and propaganda straight out of Chomsky's playbook. Another completely embarrassing disgrace to humanity that is also part of the cause of the whole situation in the first place. And our ABC is the worst of the lot.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 27 Feb 2022 at 10:35am
gsco wrote:

Only other comment I would make is the media coverage from both sides is just a disgraceful hyper-intensity of misinformation and propaganda straight out of Chomsky's playbook. Another completely embarrassing disgrace to humanity that is also part of the problem of the whole situation in the first place. And our ABC is the worst of the lot.

I won’t disagree with that. I read a piece by Laura Tingle yesterday that was embarrassing in its lack of analysis.

I’ve stopped reading it. There’s so many better balanced and insightful resources out there.