Interesting things too

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 21 Nov 2019 at 2:21pm

For when one interesting things thread isn't enough.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 8:58am

“ ..... but announcing idiot "solutions" is all the rage these days ....”

You mean like sending KRudd over to Beijing to kiss some Chinese arse to fix Scomo’s “mess”?

Yeah what sort of imbecile would suggest that?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 9:10am

Not sure what’s idiotic about DSDS suggestions above or what Zen backed it up with.
Oh and just for your general knowledge VL when mining under the water table the water is often used for irrigated cropping..........guess where? That’s right, the desert!

It would appear that the two noisiest lefties on here aren’t that left. They’d rather just virtue signal their way through arguments. True colours shown gents. Well done.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 9:21am

I wasn't talking about nationalising the mining industry but simply the government investing in its own backyard for the benefit of all Australians. Why should the mining industry be separate to public/private consortiums?

Should we just leave that to toll roads?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 9:40am

You’ve nailed it Soggy, the so-called lefties are happy to support a right-wing party, virtue signal to buggery and shout down any talk outside these parameters.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:54am

Huzzah!

Realpolitik!

You may have to google.

While you're there, throw in Rex Connor; Petroleum and Minerals Authority; Petroleum Resource Rent Tax; Resources Super Profits Tax; and finally the Mineral Resources and Rent Tax.

A bit of informed history is good.

Or you could just read this short and snappy piece (I know, I know...reading! Maybe there's a youtube vid? Dunno, have a look):

https://www.crikey.com.au/2014/10/23/fairer-share-of-mining-profits-stil...

If all too hard, here's a personal anecdote/recollection too. We all love a good yarn (you can even fact-check it if you can be arsed).

In a recent state election, the popular Nats leader put forward a proposal for a mining 'tax' increase specifically targeting the big boys - the BHPs, the Rios etc. This miniscule tax increase proposal - it hadn't gone up in real terms since the 60s! - subsequently, after a blitzkrieg negative advertising campaign lead by the miners, and the Libs ditching their usual preference partners for One Notion (both Libs and ON didn't back the plan one iota), and of course the PR of the usual suspect corporate media 'news' megaphones, lost him his seat in the Pilbara, and the leadership.

A Nat!

Anyway, back to work.

'Discuss'.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:00am

So basically confirming what I mused in my second to last post?

Seems like commonsense doesn't prevail and the rich get richer.

You get the picture.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:10am

There has been two books written and published about Australia titled Lucky Country.

Compulsory reading to learn why we are governed very poorly and how we are a wealthy country despite our best efforts to make a dog’s breakfast of it all.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:21am

I’ve told that story many times on SN facto, seems to go over the heads of a few. Hung out to dry by all sides was Brendan Gryls.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:26am

"Compulsory reading to learn why we are governed very poorly and how we are a wealthy country despite our best efforts to make a dog’s breakfast of it all."

nicely put

and nice post facto, set that tone of condescendation right from the third line (well, first one actually...) and followed all the way through your last line, one word display of hubris

...from the fascist cunt that discusses nothing

nicely played, or not....

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:37am

I reckon you blokes have jumped to a few weird conclusions. Just because I mocked your "solutions" doesn't make me a right wing supporter of the mining industry. Far from it. I reckon tax loopholes needed to be closed 2 decades ago so these shonky bastards pay their fair share.
The idea that the government should be massively investing in the mining sector is pure nonsense. Unless of course you blokes know about a government cash fairy hanging around with a spare couple of hundred billion dollars.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:42am

"Fascist cunt"?

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

And no bookie in this 'lucky' country would take the bet that you didn't read that article, let alone google anything, Sepp.

Carry on...

Winning...whining...

Whatever.

Haha.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm

And Zen, regarding your musings, check how WE, the Oz voter, responds.

Look at the little trip down history lane I chucked up.

All moves roundly rejected. Govts given the arse. By US, the Oz voter.

WE don't like it!?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:48am

Strange indeed Mr. Facto.

Cutting the nose off to spite the face?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 11:51am

Cutting the nose off or 'mysteriously' getting battery chooks to vote for KFC?

How does that happen I wonder?

Anyway, if we really wanna go full utopian, forget MMT, (well, don't), let's talk Universal Basic Income!

Wowsers.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:04pm

Norway is an interesting case freeride. Basically they never abandoned the high tax welfare state and have done pretty well out of it, particularly since the oil came on stream. How that relates to Australia in 2020 is problematic. I suppose if there was sufficient political will and some sort of charismatic leader, Australians might be persuaded to go that way, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then we would benefit from better resource management as we would from better management and policy across the board. Shorten gave it a go by proposing mild reform but even that was too much for the billionaires and their mates in the media. And looking at the commentary on here it seems the perfect is still the enemy of the good. Unless the ALP can produce a recipe for the workers paradise, then they're just as bad as the COALition. It's the type of irresponsible thinking that leads to poor governance. If people refuse to recognise significant, demonstrable differences between the parties then there is no incentive for either party to develop decent policies. They can just do SFA and rely on their election strategy.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:15pm

Hey blowfly,
It doesn't help when any reform to the mining sector can be stifled with a $20 million ad campaign.
Remember when Gina and co, told everyone a super profits tax would cause the sky to fall in, and the bedwetters in the street got the bedwetters in Canberra to ditch the plan.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:29pm

It is a long term problem, and not just in Australia, that too few people actually pay attention to the policies of the various parties....and some of those that do are only looking at a single issue. A significant part of the electorate vote on either their hip pockets or in response to increasingly carefully targeted advertising. The two most essential reforms in our political system are a Federal ICAC and legislation to control the funding and truthfulness of political advertising.

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:43pm

I hear you blowfly. It's amazing that some people here complain about corruption and then go vote for political parties who actively undermine an ICAC and loosen the rules on political donations.
But hey, for the usual suspects on this site, voting for people who share their racist opinions means they are happy to gloss over their corrupt shitfuckery.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 12:49pm

"too few people actually pay attention to the policies of the various parties"

But you must draw distinctions between stated "policies" and actions.

For example, the Libs have lovely literature about protecting our environment, reducing emissions, protecting threatened species etc etc.

But their actions spell out something entirely different.

Point being, why would we take Labor policies at face value (because surely that's what you're getting at) when it's been shown time and time again that these policies will change in an instant if it suits them.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 1:18pm

"Point being, why would we take Labor policies at face value (because surely that's what you're getting at) when it's been shown time and time again that these policies will change in an instant if it suits them."

Got an example of that? One in which policy change was driven by purely political considerations rather than changing circumstances. Personally I think the historical record of the parties when in power is strong evidence that Labor governments have been more progressive and have introduced the most significant reforms across all areas of social policy.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm

How about the ALP policy taken to the last election which wanted uncapped visas for Chinese grandparents ? Concocted overnight and without any considerations to its imposition after the NSW labor candidate for premier inconveniently spoke his true feelings .

Doesn’t get much more purely political or cynical than that hot mess.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm

"How about the ALP policy taken to the last election which wanted uncapped visas for Chinese grandparents ?"

Well no the discussion was about sneaky changes of previously advertised policy while in government. The policy you refer to, though it was not quite as you describe it, was put up during the elction and, presumably, would have been implemented had they been elected. So you see your example is irrelevant and as we already know your feelings about China and (in an absolutely non-racist manner) Chinese immigrants, it was a waste of time. But I suppose you felt some satisfaction asserting the same (absolutely non-racist) position you have asserted with nauseating frequency over several years now.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm

What about talking about emissions reductions while supporting the Adani mine.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:37pm

BB ....it was a vote buying stunt as poorly disguised as the sports rorts saga.

Actually....it was worse. At least the sports rorts had a set limit on what it would cost the country and there was genuine projects for communities. Instead it was LIMILTESS Medicare dependant, non productive elderly people which completely contravenes one of the ALP’s own stated reasons for their immigration Ponzi ie younger demographic immigrants to counter an aging population.

Blatant vote grab . Promise anything without costing to get them over the line. Hard core lack of integrity.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:34pm

Not really Andy. The same applies as to The Dude's point. It was a policy that they announced and presumably (if sadly) would have stuck to in power. Your complaint was about the difference between policy and action.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:40pm

So youre saying that the ALP should be forgiven their purely political and destructive policies because they were driven by political opportunism ?

Not really selling it too well , mate.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 2:40pm

"....it was a vote buying stunt". I am shocked to the core. I struggle to imagine the Labor Party doing anything as crass as pandering to public opinion.....ha ha ha. What did you think? It was populated by political virgins determined to retain their chastity? Now from this, I expect you will jump (yet again) to the conclusion that since Labor, in this instance, behaved pretty much as the COALition would have, then there is no difference between them, which is a total, unreconstructed, gigantic, stinking pile of bovine faeces.....but one to which you seem particularly attached.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm

Blowfly, I see their support of the Adani mine as going essentially against their stated goals as a party.
That's my point.

Political opportunism and "flexibility", same as the LNP.

So again, why would I take their platform seriously?

Another example.

Labor's platform (which incidentally still mentions Bill Shorten as leader) talks about "opportunity and fairness" on p.13.
https://www.alp.org.au/media/1539/2018_alp_national_platform_constitutio...

Last time they were in power this opportunity and fairness extended to implementing the following:

"in January [2013] around 80,000 single parents (90% of whom are women) were moved onto Newstart, effectively reducing incomes already considered under the poverty line by between $60 and $110 dollars."

https://theconversation.com/current-super-concessions-favour-the-wealthy...

Fuck me mate, sign me up for Labor and their fight for the battlers, their representation of the working class.

Again - remember the Henry Tax Review which recommended a restructuring of the superannuation taxation system with a view to a fairer and more equitable system?

Ignored, gathering dust while Labor watched the "really rich ... suckling on the teat of government through disguised spending programs like superannuation tax concessions".

Seriously Laurie, please read the above article and see where Labor stands when it matters most, when they're in power.

Yes, Labor are preferable to the Libs but they are still Liberal-lite and do not represent a reasonable direction for this country to continue heading in.

Maybe check this one out as well.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-23/henry-tax-review-ten-years-on/118...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 4:20pm

"What about talking about emissions reductions while supporting the Adani mine."

Although the coal mined from Adani's operation in QLD isn't as good quality as much of Australias black coal (that is some of the best quality in the world) however its still better quality than most Indian & Indonesian coal India already uses.

Technically speaking Adani Aust supplying coal to India reduces emissions compared to if they just burnt Indian or Indonesian coal. (which like it or not already do and would do if Adani Aust didn't supply coal)

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 4:57pm

You're a fucking contortionist Indo!

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 4:59pm

"in January [2013] around 80,000 single parents (90% of whom are women) were moved onto Newstart, effectively reducing incomes already considered under the poverty line by between $60 and $110 dollars."

I agree it was an appalling move and pretty much indefensible. In terms of superannuation the problem is the strength of their lobby. You have a cohort of wealthy retirees with plenty of time to protest through all available media and enough money and influence to intimidate any political party. The franking credits scare they ran against Labor was as nothing to what would happen to any party supporting more thorough reform of the system. Single parents, of course, are at the opposite end of the spectrum. I was actually a single parent for two years with two children under 5. I was lucky in having enough family support to be able to keep working.

"Yes, Labor are preferable to the Libs but they are still Liberal-lite and do not represent a reasonable direction for this country to continue heading in."

Well they're all we have and as such need to be encouraged. In power there is the chance that Labor would move to more progressive policies as the opportunity arises.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 5:06pm

"they're all we have"

You know my stance on that.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 5:36pm

Yeh, but the key thing is to see the difference and act on it in your preferences. If you have some idea how to create a fairer more progressive government I would be pleased to hear them.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 4 Sep 2020 at 6:37pm

#FakeEquivalence?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 7 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm

"Now where were we before the pandemic interrupted? Ah yes, the Prime Minister and Sports Minister were up to their necks in the $100 million #sportsrorts scandal."

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2020/09/07/michael-pascoe/?fbclid=IwAR2M...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 12:14pm

"Ex-ambassador Craig Murray picks up the latest startling developments in the show trial of Julian Assange. As his reporting makes clear, these hearings are an unconcealed charade that shames the UK legal system. You've heard nothing like it since Kafka."

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/09/your-man-in-the-public-g...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 12:35pm

It's a charade alright....

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 2:07pm

Trumpy:

• October 10, 2016 in Wilkes-Barre, PA: “This just came out ... WikiLeaks, I love WikiLeaks.”

• October 12, 2016 in Ocala, FL: “This WikiLeaks stuff is unbelievable ... It tells you the inner heart, you gotta read it.”

• October 13, 2016 in Cincinnati, OH: “It’s been amazing what’s coming out on WikiLeaks.”

• October 31, 2016 in Warren, MI: “Another one came in today ... This WikiLeaks is like a treasure trove.”

• November 4, 2016 in Wilmington, OH: “Getting off the plane, they were just announcing new WikiLeaks, and I wanted to stay there, but I didn’t want to keep you waiting ... Boy, I love reading those WikiLeaks.”

• April 12, 2019 in Washington, DC: “I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It’s not my thing ..."

September 8, 2020 in London: Assange remains jailed pending the outcome of the US extradition request.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm

Screen-Shot-2020-09-09-at-2-38-04-pm

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 3:41pm

#ThereIsAlwaysATweet

DudeSweetDudeSweet Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 3:57pm
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 5:46pm

??

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 5:47pm

I guess a tennis court is her office?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm

From Jonathan Cook:

Here's one reason the Guardian is so quiet on the Assange show trial.

The US is citing at the extradition hearings comments from two of its reporters:
David Leigh, who divulged a vital Wikileaks password; and Luke Harding, who was outed *fabricating* a story to suggest Assange colluded with Russia.

John Goetz of Der Spiegel has denied Assange made the damaging comment attributed to Assange by David Leigh at a meeting they attended.

Luke Harding, meanwhile, has been shielded by the Guardian from any consequences for his entirely made-up story about Assange meeting a Trump aide and unnamed "Russians" while confined to the Ecuadorian embassy: https://theintercept.com/2019/01/02/five-weeks-after-the-guardians-viral...

Luke Harding's role as a conduit for disinformation from US and UK 'national security' officials – the people now determined to put Assange behind bars for life – was exposed in glaring fashion in this interview with Aaron Mate:

&feature=emb_title

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 at 6:35pm

"Ex-ambassador Craig Murray continues his blow-by-blow coverage of Assange's show trial. It is only because of sterling work by him and a few others that the hearings aren't simply a star chamber. Now at least, we can see *how* injustice is being served."

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/09/your-man-in-the-public-g...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 9:53pm

"I've always been really interested in ideas but as we've seen with this kind of free speech, culture wars, campus wars I was really surprised to see the kind of really limiting climate at university when it came to free speech."

"Perhaps in all the things that have happened in the last twenty years, the race relations situation I would argue is one of the few things that we've triumphed and achieved and at this very moment we are now being told that our society couldn't be more racist, more sexist, more cesspool.  I find it really dangerous that this narrative is being taught."

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 10 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm

She covers the victim narrative and how it can become self fullfilling, she talks about that popular swellnet topic systemic racism, about the differences in outcomes between those with Jamaican heritage and those with Nigerian heritage (West Africans are high achievers), reducing everything to skin colour is unhelpful and more.

Covers a lot that's been talked about on SN in the last week.

What I wrote sounds simplified and doesn't do it justice but check it out, it's great.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 8:25am

100% agree with everything she says, covered pretty much everything and so many aspect's that to me seem obvious but are ignored time and time again.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 11:12am

"Reducing everything to skin colour is unhelpful and more."

N(f)SS.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 11 Sep 2020 at 11:14am

Northern Support Services?

Non-Surgical Symposium?