Interesting things too

factotum's picture
factotum started the topic in Thursday, 21 Nov 2019 at 2:21pm

For when one interesting things thread isn't enough.

Albertthegreat's picture
Albertthegreat's picture
Albertthegreat Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 12:21am

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 8:06am

"Wages growth did go backwards during those years at a faster rate than at any time in recent history and in real terms this translated to a negative impact on living standards ."

The drop in wage growth in 2008/2009 was caused by the GFC. You can't blame that on Labor. You might notice that the recovery was rapid. This was a direct result of Labor stimulus policies which were opposed by the COALition at the time.

" I find your opposition to recognising the impact of immigration confusing. "

I have no problem with the hypothesis that immigration lowers wages. The problem is that, last time I did the research, the evidence for this was weak and contradictory. About the only thing the studies agreed on was that, whether or not it did impact wages, immigration was not the fundamental cause of low wage growth.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 8:32am

Yet we still have the highest minimum wages in the world and jobs still going offshore.

https://www.afr.com/work-and-careers/workplace/australia-now-has-world-s...

Not complaining though my job can't go offshore and my money goes as far as possible in Indo and prices of many things like electronics and bikes etc are now cheaper than when i was a kid in the 80s (a few times cheaper when take inflation into account), and we can all buy as much useless cheap Asian made crap as possible..yay!.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 10:08am

The graph you provided illustrated the downwards trend in wage growth as a result of the GFC ( 2008-2010 ). A seperate and unrelated downward trend in the graph (2012-2014 ) illustrates the effect that the ALP’s immigration policies had on the rate of wages growth of Australian workers. This trend was as impactful as the global financial crisis on the living standards of workers whilst under the federal governance of a party which purports to represent those same workers.

Please bear in mind that the intermittent upswing between the two periods is more illustrative of the resumption of regular wage growth, after the fear inducement and subsequent wage freeze by employers caused by the GFC , than it is of any political accomplishment by the ALP with regards to rate of wage growth.

I’ll leave you do provide evidence to the contrary if you choose to ignore the reality of excess immigration within a closed loop of labour supply. Most experts contend that your position is more fanciful than evidence based. Maybe it’s time to review your sentiment ?

DudeSweetDudeSweet Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 10:19am

Also worthy of consideration is the fact that during the years of ALP federal power , the rate of wages increase didn’t just trend downwards in isolation, it did so in contrast with a rapid rate of inflation. Wages didn’t just go backwards in real terms , they did so at quite a clip.

The increase in the rate of inflation was a direct result of the same immigration policies the ALP elected to pursue. Increasing population leading to increased demand for goods and services which drives prices upwards in virtually any example save the cost of labour. This created a situation whereby Australian workers were being persecuted with a double dose : retreating wages growth experienced during a period of lessening purchase power in real terms.

Obviously the LNP would have employed the same policies or similar in order to achieve the same result. The question is therefore: Why would the ALP choose to follow a course of action which is detrimental to their voter base ?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 25 Aug 2020 at 11:00am

Yo Dude, when you say 'immigration', who are you referring to? Or rather, what are the stats referring to?

People coming here to live permanently? Asylum seekers? TWVs? Students? Backpackers?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 1:10pm

"Why would the ALP choose to follow a course of action which is detrimental to their voter base?"

It's the neoliberalism three-card Monte that's been going on for decades, the old bait and switch which appears to look after the voters but of course looks after the corporate masters to an infinitely greater degree.

Blowfly was essentially correct the other day when he defined Labor as right wing and the LNP as far-right.

The only question left to answer is why the fuck does the average Jo vote for either of them, especially with a view to the longer term.

With regard to Blowfly, I suspect that it's because he prefers to deal with black and whites, absolutes, the "which side are you on" school of thinking.

Can make you look righteous (to the uninitiated) when you're having a discussion but in reality it's counter-productive.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 2:01pm

Dude, I am not responsible for disproving your various hypotheses (as stated below) until you provide some evidence beyond your confident opinion. Sorry but that's how it works. Correlations are a good starting point for research but on their own prove nothing.

"The increase in the rate of inflation was a direct result of the same immigration policies the ALP elected to pursue."

"A seperate and unrelated downward trend in the graph (2012-2014 ) illustrates the effect that the ALP’s immigration policies had on the rate of wages growth of Australian workers."

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 2:02pm

"With regard to Blowfly, I suspect that it's because he prefers to deal with black and whites, "
As opposed to the infinite shades of grey that can be used to avoid accountability for ...well anything at all really.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 9:30pm

That’s the real news, who’s fault a Covid outbreak is means fuck all really.
And if picking sides is in, neither the coalition or the labour party can be on my team.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 9:37pm

Would I be racist if I said the Chinese are rapacious scum with no moral compass, that’s their nature and culture.
Check out what’s happening off the Galapagos with the Chinese fishing fleet before answering.

Just asking for a friend.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 9:42pm

Answer:

Yup.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 9:53pm

And your friend is that fuckwit that used to stink up this place 24/7?

What was that Special AKA song again?

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 10:01pm

Well, what would you call a 200 strong fishing fleet of Chinese origin sitting just off a foreign island ready to strip it’s waters of life?
No not for that dude, Just wondering why they can’t be called out.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 11:09pm

After looking at ivory figures maybe not all Chinese can be stereotyped by their country’s global business practice.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 11:33pm

Exactly Blowfly, what we're dealing with is good and evil, right and wrong. You're either with us or you're against us.
I love that you share the same sort of absolute thought processes as the fellas that were responsible for those quotes, you're in good company.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 11:38pm

And in case you missed my point, if your thinking revolves around "LNP bad, Labor good" and Labor is still fucking you over in the broader picture then that rigid, binary way of thinking is counter productive.

Don't you think?

I mean, you yourself called Labor right wing so surely progressing beyond a good/bad mindset is necessary in this case and also many others.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 17 Aug 2020 at 11:40pm

How should a country react where an armed militia masquerading as part of a fishing fleet continue their incursions in to another countries EEZ (because they illegally claim it as their own) and deplete the previously managed fish and squid stocks by 80% within 5 years?

And ignore the ruling by the international court of arbitration but then claim the international law is broken when the countries (Japan and North Korea) want to assert their territorial rights?

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 7:26am

Zen, the Incursions by China into the EEZ’s is an extension of their constant harassment of Japan’s air space, there is an obvious military intent.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/asia/japan-china-fighter-jet-scramble...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 8:41am

There's that Distracted but attracting less attention is the hundreds of (armed) Chinese fishing trawlers stripping the Japanese sea to the north-west of Japan and east of North Korea of squid and sanma (Pacific saury) which are a staple in these two countries. So much so that the fishery is collapsing (believe it or not the Koreans and Japanese managed this fishery well with quotas and a strict season) with the overall catch down 80% in 5 years. I'll try and find a link.

The Chinese have no regard to managing the catch and basically their strip-mining of the Sea of Japan amounts to wholesale theft.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 8:57am

So not just the Galápagos Zen. They want everything from the ocean?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 9:29am

Illegal shark finning and giant clam in the Torres Straight. They're everywhere mate.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:12am

So let me get this straight, they fuck it for everyone, yet if I say “the Chinese are rapacious see you en tee’s” I’m the bad guy ‘cause that’s racist?
It’s a confusing situation.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:17am

“China can act fast- if they wish to do so”............it would appear they do not wish to do so.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:18am

Not really soggydog. It is more of a sexist insult than a racist one. On the other hand if you start calling them rats....that is racist. One issue is to do with credibility. More people will pay serious attention to what you are saying if you cut out the abusive discriminatory language. Another issue is the chances of getting a positive response to your complaints. As the link shows there have been on going negotiations which look like resulting in more sustainable fishing by China. That was not achieved by insults.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:20am

The new rules are being introduced over the course of this year. it is too early to know how well they are being followed. By all means remain skeptical, their record in this area is poor.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 10:34am

Whoa! The conundrum is greater than first expected.
So if I just said that their policy is rapacious lacks any vision for future sustainability and is a threat to the fish stocks globally. As well their new sustainability policy appears to be little more than some feel good clap trap as they continue to clean out the oceans.
And this same approach is used across many extractive industries, mainly to do with the collection of wild animal products.
That would be ok, but if I use the c word as a description that becomes sexist and/or possibly racist.
Oh yeah I’m no foreign diplomat either so just commenting on what I see. And it would appear that they really don’t care for diplomacy if they’ve already decided what the goal is.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 1:30pm

Today's Google memo.
Scomo allows Rupert to audit Google in order to up rank NEWS (Ad) credits.
Rupert ordered Scomo to trawl our search history to police NEWS copyright crimes.
Also means Google must Rank Murdoch credits prominently in search results...

Dutto scans yer history & then cordons off yer searches toward News Subsription.
So Largest Corps Rule Top 100 search Results by banking off credit compliance.
All Govt Alerts on Facebook + Govt news behind Rupert's Paywall...(Not suss!)

Oh! Ok! So the crew kinda thought that was already happening! Fair call...
Well, Dutto just twisted the knife a little more, then put the boot in & spat on them!

All said! Corona Nationalism is rationing the www into isolated Corp Paywalls.
We all see Covid morphing www into Big Brother SPORTSBET for CEO's.
Team Oz is on top of the Social credit Table with China a far distant 2nd.
This week NEWS (vs) Google search Engine...played on Scomo's level playing field.

You wake to find China has more www freedom than yer dark side of the Paid Wall.
Simpletons drooling over Chinese Tickety Tockheads...Gimme some of that shit!
https://www.tiktok.com/foryou?lang=en#/@elektrobotz_/video/6859788723907808518

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 1:55pm

soggy your first paragraph is good and I am happy to discuss Chinese fishing, particularly if you have links that show the progress (or lack of it) with the new policy. Beyond that the question for me is, why do you want to use sexist or racist language?
Most peope seeing that language will make the reasonable assumption that you are sexist and racist and for a majority of people these days that's a problem. It lowers you in their eyes. Racist and sexist language were common as I was growing up and racism and sexism were acceptable. No doubt in some circles they still are, but those circles are ever diminishing. These days I make an effort not to use a lot of the words I grew up with. You might like to give the same approach some thought.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 3:35pm

Soggydog your not the bad guy you say it how it is and its about time the
rest of us do the same. China has declared war on the world just because
they didnt use a missile nobody wants to say it. But its a fact.
They have no humane rights they overfish the worlds oceans they want every
endangered and exotic animal caught tortured and eaten or used in some other
absurd manner they are making a big move on the worlds economy they are on
the move in a very cunning rat like way to control the world and the world should
stop worrying about Me2 over the top rubbish and black lives matter protest and
concentrate on protesting and boycotting China.
Because soon it will be too late. Then see how all your political correctness works.

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 4:10pm

That’s what I don’t understand about left politics Blowfly. We all agree on the issues in principle but language and political correctness causes us to canabalise those that would happily stand shoulder to shoulder.
Why not just call a spade a spade and move on.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm

OTT?

MY PLAN FOR HOW TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE AN ELECTION, TRUMP IS REMOVED, AND THE REPUBLICANS ARE GONE FOR GOOD

by Michael Moore

TRUMP HAS DECLARED WAR ON US AND OUR DEMOCRACY.

IT’S TIME FOR US TO PUT OUR LIVES ON THE LINE, IF NECESSARY, AND TO MAKE HIM THE LAST REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT OF OUR UNITED STATES.

Trump, right now, tonight, is up to some very nasty, scary stuff — stuff we can’t even imagine — and of course we can’t imagine it because we don’t think like Trump. Our brains are wired for love, empathy, solidarity, compassion, freedom, person, woman, man, camera, TV.

You know like I know that Trump has a devious, wicked plan to destroy this Election. We need to declare, immediately, that it is he and the Republican Party who have to go, for the sake of this country’s existence, they must be crushed and removed.

Trump actually has an arsenal of plans already in action to ensure he never leaves office. He has them all in high gear — some visible, some not. If you could see them all you’d be so stunned, you’d have to immediately convince yourself that there’s no way he can pull this off.

We are all caught in Trump’s Matrix, a mad web, the work of a psychopath-in-chief with tricks so devious that fascists of old, if alive today, would marvel at what Trump has accomplished.

For the next 11 weeks — and then for the 12 weeks between the Election and the Inauguration — Trump is planning nothing but anarchy, chaos, a call to arms of his angry white male followers and the complete destruction of our democracy. You think I’m kidding? You think I’m overstating the case? Do you want to take the risk that I might not be wrong? Most of you understandably chose not to listen to me four years ago when I warned you Trump was going to win the Presidency by taking Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. May I please ask that you now give me your serious attention for what I am about to say — because if I’m right again this time, there won’t be a next time. There will be nothing left for me to warn you about. There probably won’t be much left of me.

Here’s how Trump plans to end our right to choose the next President and Congress. It will happen fast. I am also laying out here a battle plan for us to defeat this takeover of our democracy. We must act now.

HERE ARE TRUMP’S 5 PLANS ALREADY IN MOTION:

PLAN #1: Create Chaos. Instill Fear. Fire Up the Base with Racist Vigor. Pandemonium Ensues.
CHECK. DONE.

PLAN #2: Suppress the Vote
•Dismantle the Post Office.
•Create 4-Hour-Long Lines by Drastically Reducing Number of Polling Locations.
•Throw Black and Brown Voters Off the Rolls.
•Stop Those Who’ve Served Time from Voting.
•Place 50,000 “Poll Watchers” at Voting Sites Around the Country to Intimidate Voters.
VOTER SUPPRESSION IN ACTION AS WE SPEAK.

PLAN #3: Postpone the Election. Place the blame on a “legitimate” national tragedy or emergency — massive deaths from the pandemic, a terrorist attack, an assassination, a deadly hurricane, a civil war in the streets, one or both Presidential candidates falling ill to Covid-19 — anything that reasonable people, even people who are opposed to Trump, will agree that “we just can’t hold an election right now! We just need to postpone it for a couple days, a couple weeks (a couple months... a couple years...)” Or perhaps he’ll just cancel the Election outright and see if he can get away with it.
TRUMP READY TO PULL THE TRIGGER.

PLAN #4: His September Surprise.
His October Surprise.
His November Surprise.
His January Surprise.
You think you can guess what it will be, but trust me, it’ll be far worse. We need to be ready. Stay on high alert, my friends. Millions of us will need to act on a moment’s notice. It’s the grim reaper of Democracy at our doorstep. We made the mistake of letting Trump get this far — why wouldn’t he now think he can get away with everything??
THE SURPRISE IS UNKNOWN. THAT’S WHY IT’S A SURPRISE.

PLAN #5: He Will Not Leave.
When Trump loses, he will declare the Election invalid, rigged, stolen — and he will refuse to step down.

So, what will we do then?

HERE IS OUR BATTLE PLAN TO REMOVE TRUMP AND THE REPUBLICANS:

1. Do Not Wait — Biden/Harris Should Start Running the Country Now.
We simply don’t have time to wait until January 20, 2021. Nearly 200,000 of us have already died from Trump’s reckless incompetence with the coronavirus. By Election Day it’s possible another 100,000 to 200,000 of us will have needlessly died. A total of 400,000 dead? That’s the equivalent of one hundred and thirty-three 9/11s! Or 532 planes being flown into 532 buildings. If something that horrific ever happened, and the President not only didn’t do anything about it, but tried to pretend it wasn’t all that bad - “it is what it is” - he would be run out of the White House by an angry mob of millions of Americans, lucky not to have his head put on a spike on the Key Bridge over the Potomac.

It doesn’t have to come to that. Biden and Harris should present to America a simple nationwide plan to end the pandemic — and then act on it immediately.

They should call a meeting of all the Governors and ask them what help do they need — and then find a way to get them that help, going around Trump and just making it happen. They should ask industry, in lieu of campaign contributions, to produce hundreds of millions of instant-result tests. They should call their Heads of State friends overseas and ask them to send all the PPE they can spare. They should get 250 million Americans to take the “Face Mask Pledge.” And they should promise the scientists in our top universities all the money and help they need once they’re in office. Ignore Trump. Treat him as if he’s irrelevant and get the job done.

2. The Republican Party Must Be Crushed and Destroyed. Trump Must Become the Last Republican President.

In the Michigan county where I live, the August primary this month set a record turnout for a presidential-year primary. In fact, more people this year voted by mail-in ballot than ALL those who voted in 2016 — by mail-in AND in-person combined. This is a highly encouraging sign for what we now need to do:
• We must create an historic massive turnout between now and November 3rd — a tsunami of voters the likes of which have never been seen, and may never be seen again. In 2016, 66 million Americans voted for Hillary Clinton. This time, though, we have to WALLOP Trump with an electoral concussion, a blow so profound he won’t know what hit him. This must be a defeat so crushing, so humiliating, a whooping of such epic proportions that he will be forced to leave 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue with his tail between his legs on January 20th. This mammoth landslide must not only ensure that no president ever behaves this way again, we need to see to it that Trump is the last Republican president. The Election Day Uprising must put an end to this party of Trump enablers and traitors. They had a choice. They chose Trump over Democracy. They chose Putin and Netanyahu over fair elections and freedom for all. They chose the 1% over the 160 million working Americans. They chose the NRA over the massacred children of Sandy Hook. They chose to rig our elections, our textbooks, our economy. Democrats helped them along the way, and we’ll take the stick to them and fix that. The Republicans, though, chose to let hundreds of thousands of their fellow citizens perish from Covid-19 because loyalty to Party and to Trump was greater than their duty to the American people. For that alone, the Republican Party must be put out of business for good. Vote out every last one of them. Conservatives will have to form a new party, much like when the Whigs were sent packing in the 1800s. The Republicans must pay for their crimes.

• We must flip the Senate —- and not just by the three seats we need for control. We should shock the pundit class and, as the Republican Party is reduced to ashes, grab a solid 55+ seat majority. Colorado, Arizona, Maine, North Carolina, Georgia, Iowa, Montana and even Kansas, South Carolina and, yes, Texas (a state that is now 57% non-white) — are all possible Democratic Senate wins. Think about spending a weekend or a week helping out in one of these states. The Republicans will wish they had managed this pandemic better and had everyone busy back at work by now. All this “free time” should make for their undoing.

• Finally, we have to vote the local Republicans out of office, too. State Houses and Senates will be drawing the electoral map for the next ten years. We can’t let the cheating Republicans do this again. Do what you can to elect Dems in your state and local elections. The punishment of the Republican Party — a certified terrorist organization for having helped kill at least 200,000 Americans — is an imperative.

3. Who Would Be Willing To, If Need Be, Put Their Life on the Line To Ensure This Election Is Held and EVERYONE Gets to Vote? I Would. Would You?

These steps must be taken immediately:
• The Secret Service, the FBI, the Capitol Police and the Joint Chiefs of Staff must be called before Congress and swear under oath that they will guarantee that the election will be held, they will enforce the Constitution they swore to uphold, and if he’s defeated but refuses to leave, they will escort the former President of the United States out of the White House.

• Biden and Harris must put Trump on notice that if he does one more thing to interfere with the Election or issues one more threat to suppress the vote, they will turn him and his crime family over to the new Justice Department for prosecution.

• Every single one of us must be strong in our publicly-stated resolve that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON ON EARTH TO POSTPONE OR CANCEL THE ELECTION. That’s our unmovable and intractable position. No national tragedy, disease, threat or the melting of all of Greenland will cause us not to vote on or before November 3rd. Even if, God forbid, either candidate passes in their sleep between now and Election Day, the Election will continue — and the winner’s VP - or Nancy Pelosi - will become President on Inauguration Day.

• Let’s all pledge that, if Trump tries to cancel the election or if he refuses to accept its results, millions of us will go to DC and encircle the White House, a thousand deep, until he backs down, resigns or is removed.

• And, if you can, quietly make this commitment to yourself: “There are only a very few things I’d be willing to give my life for. This is one of them.” I know. That’s dark. And heavy. And awfully sad because it shouldn’t have come to this. But if we can’t even say that, then what good are we? If we aren’t willing to make that sacrifice, then America is already over and we might as well just fold our tent and see if Canada will take the non-racist, non-homophobic, non war-mongering ones of us who have manners and get satire.

4. Become an Election Defender.

Each of you should form an urgent action group - a rapid response team - in your neighborhood or town and do the following:

• Hold a daily protest at your local post office
• Picket the home of your local Postmaster (he/she may be on your side, so bring them some baked goods)
• Chain yourself to a local blue USPS dropbox if you can find one. Or chain it to something that won’t move.
• Sign up with the city clerk to be a poll worker on Election Day - especially if you’re young. Because of the pandemic, polls will be very short of poll workers. If you’re told they have enough help, then call the local Democratic Party and offer to be a “poll watcher”, the group of people from each party who get to oversee the voting to make sure there are no irregularities.
• Demand your city create more voting locations. Convince owners of arenas, theaters, ball parks, malls - places with large open spaces - to offer their facilities as polling places so that everyone gets a chance to vote.
• Canvas your neighborhoods over the next month to get people to fill out the form you’ll have them sign to get a mail-in ballot — and if they want to vote in person, let them know when the first day is so they can do that. Make a list of who needs a Covid-safe ride. The earlier the better!

5. The Uprising We’re In Is Only Getting Bigger. The People Will Now Call the Shots.

Why wait for the politicians to fix the mess of a country we’re in when they helped orchestrate the mess in the first place? Why don’t we just declare how we want to live — a new way to govern and function as a country — and we will finally fulfill the promise of the American Dream that has never been realized. Life, liberty, true equality, a sharing of the wealth, being good citizens of this world and kind stewards of a fragile Earth.

What have we learned from this pandemic? What we already knew: That employer-based health insurance can evaporate in an instant. Health care is a human right.

That being told “we can’t afford that!” (free college, free child care, free medical care - the things most advanced nations have) is total BS — the government CAN afford anything we decide we need!

We’ve learned that teachers, nurses, the mailwoman, farm workers, mass transit drivers and the minimum wage workers stocking the grocery shelves at 3 in the morning are our most important citizens and they need the respect and income they deserve immediately. 74% of the country now believes a guaranteed annual income is a great idea — fifty percentage points higher than when Andrew Yang proposed it 7 months ago!

We’ve learned to slow down, consume less — and that is what may be the path to saving the planet (when the 4% of its inhabitants [US] is no longer sucking up 25% of its resources and hoarding more than half its wealth).

We’re about to go elect more women than ever before — a time to turn the reins over to the gender that stands a better chance of getting us through the deadly viruses of Covid, Capitalism and Republicans(R.I.P.).

None of this will be launched by politicians. It will only come about through you and me taking action as part of the largest protest movement in our history — still growing, still going strong! — to end the racism, the abuse of the police state, the disgusting income inequality and the hateful misogyny that is going to come to an end in our lifetime.

America, post-pandemic, must become a very different place. Let’s make this happen. Doing the above will be the best cure for the trauma of these past four years.

Commit to being the change.
Organize your friends and family today.
Make your plan to campaign in a swing state Sept. or Oct.
VOTE AS EARLY AS YOU CAN—and take 5 people along with you!

We can do this. Trump - we’re coming for you. I’ll be in the first U-Haul truck that pulls up to your door.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 4:17pm

"Why not just call a spade a spade and move on."

Indeed, but that was not what you were doing. The relationship between Chinese fishing and female genitalia used as an insult is not one that is immediately obvious. My basic point is...well stick to the point. Put forward the evidence. A clear description of whatever abuses you are complaining about is much more persuasive than gratuitous sexist insults and has the added benefit of not being labelled an anachronism.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 4:39pm

"If we aren’t willing to make that sacrifice, then America is already over and we might as well just fold our tent and see if Canada will take the non-racist, non-homophobic, non war-mongering ones of us who have manners and get satire."

Hell of a treatise by Moore, tempted to TL;DR, but did read the whole damn thing and can expect we're in for a wild old ride.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 4:48pm

Facto, yeah seems a bit OTT, but Moore's description/predictions of the game of silly buggers Trump is playing is probably pretty accurate.
I'll add another prediction: Trump will announce and roll out a SARS-CoV2 vaccine in the weeks leading up to the election (whether they've got a safe and effective one ready or not by then; hopefully they do...)

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:18pm

Whilst I appreciate Michael Moore’s passion , I wonder if he’s any longer aware that Donald Trump was elected as the result of a fair and equitable democratic process ? It bothers me that such an obviously clever individual would find themselves subject to the conspiracy theories and spurious conjecture regarding the President’s intentions for the upcoming elections.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:20pm

Which part do you assert is 'spurious conjecture'? Trumps been pretty clear as to his motivations regarding the postal service and has refused to commit to accepting the election results.

I wouldn't really describe US elections as fair and equitable either.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:28pm

So Dude still struggling to accept the findings of 17 different investigations into the influence of Russia on the election? The ones that revealed that 126 million Americans saw Facebook material promoting Trump. Material generated and paid for by the Kremlin. Not to mention that he lost the popular vote by 3 million votes.
"...a fair and equitable democratic process ?" Not by any reasonable standard.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:26pm

facto, I will see your Michael Moore and raise you a Michelle Obama.

Good evening, everyone. It's a hard time, and everyone's feeling it in different ways. And I know a lot of folks are reluctant to tune into a political convention right now or to politics in general. Believe me, I get that. But I am here tonight because I love this country with all my heart, and it pains me to see so many people hurting.

I've met so many of you. I've heard your stories. And through you, I have seen this country's promise. And thanks to so many who came before me, thanks to their toil and sweat and blood, I've been able to live that promise myself.
That's the story of America. All those folks who sacrificed and overcame so much in their own times because they wanted something more, something better for their kids.
There's a lot of beauty in that story. There's a lot of pain in it, too, a lot of struggle and injustice and work left to do. And who we choose as our president in this election will determine whether or not we honor that struggle and chip away at that injustice and keep alive the very possibility of finishing that work.
I am one of a handful of people living today who have seen firsthand the immense weight and awesome power of the presidency. And let me once again tell you this: the job is hard. It requires clear-headed judgment, a mastery of complex and competing issues, a devotion to facts and history, a moral compass, and an ability to listen—and an abiding belief that each of the 330,000,000 lives in this country has meaning and worth.

A president's words have the power to move markets. They can start wars or broker peace. They can summon our better angels or awaken our worst instincts. You simply cannot fake your way through this job.
As I've said before, being president doesn't change who you are; it reveals who you are. Well, a presidential election can reveal who we are, too. And four years ago, too many people chose to believe that their votes didn't matter. Maybe they were fed up. Maybe they thought the outcome wouldn't be close. Maybe the barriers felt too steep. Whatever the reason, in the end, those choices sent someone to the Oval Office who lost the national popular vote by nearly 3,000,000 votes.
In one of the states that determined the outcome, the winning margin averaged out to just two votes per precinct—two votes. And we've all been living with the consequences.
When my husband left office with Joe Biden at his side, we had a record-breaking stretch of job creation. We'd secured the right to health care for 20,000,000 people. We were respected around the world, rallying our allies to confront climate change. And our leaders had worked hand-in-hand with scientists to help prevent an Ebola outbreak from becoming a global pandemic.
Four years later, the state of this nation is very different. More than 150,000 people have died, and our economy is in shambles because of a virus that this president downplayed for too long. It has left millions of people jobless. Too many have lost their health care; too many are struggling to take care of basic necessities like food and rent; too many communities have been left in the lurch to grapple with whether and how to open our schools safely. Internationally, we've turned our back, not just on agreements forged by my husband, but on alliances championed by presidents like Reagan and Eisenhower.
And here at home, as George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and a never-ending list of innocent people of color continue to be murdered, stating the simple fact that a Black life matters is still met with derision from the nation's highest office.
Because whenever we look to this White House for some leadership or consolation or any semblance of steadiness, what we get instead is chaos, division, and a total and utter lack of empathy.
Empathy: that's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. The ability to walk in someone else's shoes; the recognition that someone else's experience has value, too. Most of us practice this without a second thought. If we see someone suffering or struggling, we don't stand in judgment. We reach out because, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." It is not a hard concept to grasp. It's what we teach our children.
And like so many of you, Barack and I have tried our best to instill in our girls a strong moral foundation to carry forward the values that our parents and grandparents poured into us. But right now, kids in this country are seeing what happens when we stop requiring empathy of one another. They're looking around wondering if we've been lying to them this whole time about who we are and what we truly value.
They see people shouting in grocery stores, unwilling to wear a mask to keep us all safe. They see people calling the police on folks minding their own business just because of the color of their skin. They see an entitlement that says only certain people belong here, that greed is good, and winning is everything because as long as you come out on top, it doesn't matter what happens to everyone else. And they see what happens when that lack of empathy is ginned up into outright disdain.
They see our leaders labeling fellow citizens enemies of the state while emboldening torch-bearing white supremacists. They watch in horror as children are torn from their families and thrown into cages, and pepper spray and rubber bullets are used on peaceful protestors for a photo-op.
Sadly, this is the America that is on display for the next generation. A nation that's underperforming not simply on matters of policy but on matters of character. And that's not just disappointing; it's downright infuriating, because I know the goodness and the grace that is out there in households and neighborhoods all across this nation.
And I know that regardless of our race, age, religion, or politics, when we close out the noise and the fear and truly open our hearts, we know that what's going on in this country is just not right. This is not who we want to be.
So what do we do now? What's our strategy? Over the past four years, a lot of people have asked me, "When others are going so low, does going high still really work?" My answer: going high is the only thing that works, because when we go low, when we use those same tactics of degrading and dehumanizing others, we just become part of the ugly noise that's drowning out everything else. We degrade ourselves. We degrade the very causes for which we fight.
But let's be clear: going high does not mean putting on a smile and saying nice things when confronted by viciousness and cruelty. Going high means taking the harder path. It means scraping and clawing our way to that mountain top. Going high means standing fierce against hatred while remembering that we are one nation under God, and if we want to survive, we've got to find a way to live together and work together across our differences.
And going high means unlocking the shackles of lies and mistrust with the only thing that can truly set us free: the cold hard truth.
So let me be as honest and clear as I possibly can. Donald Trump is the wrong president for our country. He has had more than enough time to prove that he can do the job, but he is clearly in over his head. He cannot meet this moment. He simply cannot be who we need him to be for us. It is what it is.
Now, I understand that my message won't be heard by some people. We live in a nation that is deeply divided, and I am a Black woman speaking at the Democratic Convention. But enough of you know me by now. You know that I tell you exactly what I'm feeling. You know I hate politics. But you also know that I care about this nation. You know how much I care about all of our children.
So if you take one thing from my words tonight, it is this: if you think things cannot possibly get worse, trust me, they can; and they will if we don't make a change in this election. If we have any hope of ending this chaos, we have got to vote for Joe Biden like our lives depend on it.
I know Joe. He is a profoundly decent man, guided by faith. He was a terrific vice president. He knows what it takes to rescue an economy, beat back a pandemic, and lead our country. And he listens. He will tell the truth and trust science. He will make smart plans and manage a good team. And he will govern as someone who's lived a life that the rest of us can recognize.
When he was a kid, Joe's father lost his job. When he was a young senator, Joe lost his wife and his baby daughter. And when he was vice president, he lost his beloved son. So Joe knows the anguish of sitting at a table with an empty chair, which is why he gives his time so freely to grieving parents. Joe knows what it's like to struggle, which is why he gives his personal phone number to kids overcoming a stutter of their own.
His life is a testament to getting back up, and he is going to channel that same grit and passion to pick us all up, to help us heal and guide us forward.
Now, Joe is not perfect. And he'd be the first to tell you that. But there is no perfect candidate, no perfect president. And his ability to learn and grow—we find in that the kind of humility and maturity that so many of us yearn for right now. Because Joe Biden has served this nation his entire life without ever losing sight of who he is; but more than that, he has never lost sight of who we are, all of us.
Joe Biden wants all of our kids to go to a good school, see a doctor when they're sick, live on a healthy planet. And he's got plans to make all of that happen. Joe Biden wants all of our kids, no matter what they look like, to be able to walk out the door without worrying about being harassed or arrested or killed. He wants all of our kids to be able to go to a movie or a math class without being afraid of getting shot. He wants all our kids to grow up with leaders who won't just serve themselves and their wealthy peers but will provide a safety net for people facing hard times.
And if we want a chance to pursue any of these goals, any of these most basic requirements for a functioning society, we have to vote for Joe Biden in numbers that cannot be ignored. Because right now, folks who know they cannot win fair and square at the ballot box are doing everything they can to stop us from voting. They're closing down polling places in minority neighborhoods. They're purging voter rolls. They're sending people out to intimidate voters, and they're lying about the security of our ballots. These tactics are not new.
But this is not the time to withhold our votes in protest or play games with candidates who have no chance of winning. We have got to vote like we did in 2008 and 2012. We've got to show up with the same level of passion and hope for Joe Biden. We've got to vote early, in person if we can. We've got to request our mail-in ballots right now, tonight, and send them back immediately and follow-up to make sure they're received. And then, make sure our friends and families do the same.
We have got to grab our comfortable shoes, put on our masks, pack a brown bag dinner and maybe breakfast too, because we've got to be willing to stand in line all night if we have to.
Look, we have already sacrificed so much this year. So many of you are already going that extra mile. Even when you're exhausted, you're mustering up unimaginable courage to put on those scrubs and give our loved ones a fighting chance. Even when you're anxious, you're delivering those packages, stocking those shelves, and doing all that essential work so that all of us can keep moving forward.
Even when it all feels so overwhelming, working parents are somehow piecing it all together without child care. Teachers are getting creative so that our kids can still learn and grow. Our young people are desperately fighting to pursue their dreams.
And when the horrors of systemic racism shook our country and our consciences, millions of Americans of every age, every background rose up to march for each other, crying out for justice and progress.
This is who we still are: compassionate, resilient, decent people whose fortunes are bound up with one another. And it is well past time for our leaders to once again reflect our truth.
So, it is up to us to add our voices and our votes to the course of history, echoing heroes like John Lewis who said, "When you see something that is not right, you must say something. You must do something." That is the truest form of empathy: not just feeling, but doing; not just for ourselves or our kids, but for everyone, for all our kids.

And if we want to keep the possibility of progress alive in our time, if we want to be able to look our children in the eye after this election, we have got to reassert our place in American history. And we have got to do everything we can to elect my friend, Joe Biden, as the next president of the United States.
Thank you all. God bless.

Video here if you prefer
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/michelle-obama-speech-transc...

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm

I’m afraid that without any evidence of causation to back up the assertions that some media on Facebook altered the outcome of the election, I’ll continue to rely on the accepted truism that it reflected the will of the US democratic system as it was designed.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:46pm

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/cyber/russian-interference-in-2016-u-s-elections

Not enough evidence for DSDS, but enough for the FBI to indict 12 russians. You sure have a high bar DSDS. You know, you really remind me of someone.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:49pm

Quite a lineup for the Democrats in support of a Biden . Do you think that the word of Bill and Hillary Clinton still holds currency since Bill was established by eye witness as a participant in the Epstein sexual trafficking exploits ? Particularly as it builds on his reputation as one who abuses his power over subordinates in order to satisfy his sexual urges with the Monica Lewinsky debacle.

Biden has already been accused of sexual assault by his own VP nominate . I’m not sure that enough clear air has been provided on this topic for those voters who find sexual crimes appalling. Which you’d hope would be the vast majority of the voting public !

Even Michelle Obama carries the stain . Her last glowing character reference was for Harvey Weinstein.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:52pm

I’m sure that some Russians were found guilty of attempting to influence the outcome of the election. This is not evidence that the election was influenced in any way whatsoever. If you can provide evidence that the election was not fair and equitable I would greatly appreciate it . Perhaps you could also forward it to the FBI .

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 5:57pm

Thanks JQ, beat me to it.

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm

"Michelle Obama did indeed once describe Weinstein as a “wonderful human being.” The footage and remarks included in those social media posts were authentic and unedited. However, many posts did not include an important piece of context — Obama made those remarks in 2013, four years before dozens of women first publicly accused Weinstein of rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, and various other sexual improprieties. As a result, her praise of Weinstein should not be interpreted as an endorsement of his offenses. "
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/michelle-obama-harvey-weinstein/

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 6:19pm

I’m assuming you also found no issue with Tony Abbott providing character witness for George Pell ?

Perhaps you just have more tolerance for those guilty of sexual assault than myself ? I can’t imagine providing a good faith reference for anyone who had a decades long history of sexual assault regardless of how influential they may have been for my career . I’m sure Michelle Obama assumed that Weinstein’s open secret of sexual impropriety never came to light as public knowledge just as neither did the dozens of high profile actors who accompanied him prior to the public exposure of his true nature.

Either way , it doesn’t sit well when viewed in context of the sexual indecency of both Clinton and Biden. Not to mention Hillary’s shameful behaviour when she cast doubt on the veracity and besmirched the characters of the unfortunate women upon whom Bill Clinton predated.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm

...or indeed this, Dude?

blowfly's picture
blowfly's picture
blowfly Tuesday, 18 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm

If, as in Michelle Obama's case, he had done it before any accusations were made, not only in the court case, but also in the matter of Pell's handling of abuse allegations by other priests, then I would have had no problem. From memory that was not the case, so yes there is an issue.