Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 8:02am

Actually I Focus the problem is the left ignoring these important issues and painting anyone that is concerned about these issues as racist or xenophobic.

Day to day these peoples voices are not heard then when they do get to vote bang the silent majority speak and you get the results seen.

And we are talking all ethnicity's and skin colours in these countries, the common bond is where they live, all they want is the best for their country.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 10:07am

Take a few minutes to watch the Bojo victory speech:

BoJo’s is a traditional Labor Government in all but name, far to the left of Tony Blair for instance, with key priorities for national health, carbon neutrality, managed migration, strong borders across the spectrum and working class electorates.

Here’s what Catherine West, born and raised in Australia, Labour member for the London seat of Hornsey and Wood Green wrote for Domain this morning:

“I don’t want to see Johnson turn Great Britain into Little Britain, no longer celebrating the huge contribution of the people from all around the world who have made it their home, instead trying to close the doors. In the months ahead, I’ll keep fighting Johnson’s hard-right vision for Britain and standing up for a United Kingdom that is inclusive, welcoming and open.”

“Hard right”? That is unelectably bonkers. All BoJo did was occupy centre-left politics seasoned with a bit of sensible nationalism. No wonder Britain threw out Labour.

In Australia, the same fate awaits Albo. The contemporary poltical divide is NOT progressive versus conservative. It’s globalist versus nationalist. There is only one winner given nation’s vote for themselves.

This conflict comes to bear most importantly in QLD which is Australia’s least globalist state. Labor holds oodles of seats across Australia to govern but is has completely lost QLD where nationalist parties have captured the swing vote (driven especially by anti-immigration sentiment) and preferenced the Coalition.

This has happened as a combination of support for coal, social conservatism, Canberra revulsion, strong borders and immigration cuts have won the hearts and minds QLDers via Pauline Hanson and Cliver Palmer.

Labor must change if it is to win QLD back and govern. The obvious choice is to offer a version of Brexit, large immigration cuts and more nationalist economic policy.

Instead, Albo has embraced coal.

In normal times that might have helped but right now it means Labor can’t attack Morrison on this:

“A 375,000 hectare megafire has destroyed up to 10 buildings in the Blue Mountains region west of Sydney, as the city is once again expected to be blanketed with smoke haze from backburning and bushfires during an intense heatwave.

Residents in Mount Wilson, Mount Irvine, Mount Tomah and Berambing have been told it’s too late to leave, as flames reach 70m high in some areas.

7NEWS reports up to 10 structures have been lost overnight in the region, as 109 fires burn around the NSW, 58 of those uncontained.“

Or this:

“A joint statement signed by 22 organisations has labelled Sydney’s poor air quality a “public health emergency” that requires urgent government action, as NSW braces for more smoke and a looming heatwave.

Released by the Climate and Health Alliance on Monday, with signatures from the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Australasian College of Emergency Medicine, Public Health Association of Australia and 19 other organisations, the statement said “there is no safe level of air pollution”.“

Or this:

“Perth fires LIVE: Bushfires close freeway as firies battle blaze in Kwinana”

Nature itself is trying to put Labor into power and it is so unbelievably stupid that it is fighting against it.

Labor will never out-coal the Coalition and all Morrison will need to do to win the next election is make another tiny 10k cut to the permanent migrant intake.

Albo is already dead, along with all global labour parties that don’t recognise the rise of new nationalism.”

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 10:06am

The above was reposted from Macrobusiness. Far and away the most astute political overview and encompassing media outlet available .

Such a great analysis. Tell me where else this perspective is being elucidated in Australia.....no where. And it is entirely accurate.

PS You should actually watch Bojo’s speech to hear what an ALP leader SHOULD be saying. Unfortunately for the Poms , the UK conservatives will no doubt revert to type and ignore virtually everything that Bojo has promised, but a Labour Party should deliver .

The reality of an Australian style immigration system is going to underwhelm those Pommys who imagine it implies a modicum of restraint on population growth or an inherent selectively in the process.....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 10:26am

I don't agree i think Albanesse just turned the labor ship around last week, i don't think he needs to out coal Scomo he just needed to tone things down a bit move a bit more to centre and have a more balanced view between economy and environment and not forget regional areas and seems like he/labor have woken up to this.

IMHO I think he played everything perfectly last week, i was skeptical of him at first but at this stage i think he is doing fine and much more likeable than Shorten and he has plenty of time until the next election, IMHO he has already increased labor's chances next election.

What he should be doing now if not already is, is spending as much time as possible on the ground in fire effected areas and not going to hard on blame games, but just showing his face and support in the community.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 10:56am

Well , Indo.

As you know , I was previously a die hard Labor voter and would love to be again, and I wouldn’t vote for him in a million years.

His ideology is wrong. Just another inner city globalist.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 10:58am

I'm also struggling to appreciate his recent overtures.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 11:07am

How long before Albo tells us his preferred pronouns you think ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 1:34pm

"Just another inner city globalist."

Yeah you're probably right, i don't go looking to hear his views, just what i read but i still think last week was perhaps a real turning point for labor, moving back to a more realistic balanced view, it seemed like they are at least acknowledging where they have gone wrong, instead of just saying no we are right, its the people who are wrong.

All that said it's not too hard to be an improvement on Shorten either.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 2:08pm

Any links so I can get up to speed on Albo's latest would be appreciated.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 3:30pm

Cheers Indo.

Brilliant strategy by Albo, he's clearly looking to alienate both parts of the electorate and at the same time make himself look duplicitous and untrustworthy.

Genius.

"spending as much time as possible on the ground in fire effected areas and not going to hard on blame games, but just showing his face and support in the community."

Better strategy at the moment.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 5:24pm

Forecast heat wave for the rest of the week in NSW is going to result in brutal bushfire conditions .
Those massive fires on the Dividing Range have been incrementally growing in size and and with some hot westerly winds the Sydney basin and Central Coast could really cop a hammering.
By the New Year I wonder just how much of the entire National Park Estate will be up in smoke.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 5:43pm

Good interview with Bob Brown on the issues raised by Blowin (minus nationalism) and good questions by Karvelas. It was on the box last week. Can't find any vid or transcript - just the audio

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/bob-brown-welcomes-m...

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 6:12pm

I watched the Bojo speech Blowin. The carbon-neutral, infrastructure, and technology points are hopeful (especially the carbon-neutral). But I saw Howard give several gracious, even inspiring victory speeches where good words were said. Some Tories might say the right thing, but I don't trust them to do the right thing. Hopefully I'm wrong about Johnson - haven't followed their election at all closely so don't know his policies

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 6:31pm

If they go green (in the way it is being promoted, see the previous Greta links I posted), then The City will become the premier clearing-house for all kinds of carbon and green contracts, futures and trades. It's very clever, and probably a perfect way to land on one's feet after Brexit. UK has nuclear industry and quite a bit of renewables already, so they should be able to do it.

If any of you have been to The City, perhaps you noticed the gargoyles above street intersections at its boundaries? The history of the place is that there are two cities of London, the original Roman town of Londinium (which has become the financial centre named "The City" and is, I believe it's own jurisdiction) and the city of Westminster which is the political capital. It is possible to walk from parliament to every important office the nation needs within about 3 minutes - great system of government. The elder city, over 1000 years now, is most probably the financial capital of the world. Particularly spun-out was seeing an Egyptian obelisk in front of an important building on the Thames - some very old themes being played out.

There are also absolutely lovely areas of London, and dodgy areas in the surrounding megapolis. The M25 puts an end to it. I took some mirth as a child in a report of a man on the M25 who missed his turn-off, so did another lap to line it up. Then missed it again. He was on the road for 3 days...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 6:40pm

Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2020 to all swelltonians. Thread of the year, the yellow peril, unanimous winner and thanks to Blowin and all contributions that really touched the core of ourselves and our surfing passion. Photographer of the year, Peter Jovic, legendary stuff mate, thank you. Champion of the year, TBB, for his wonderful research. Funniest of the year, Velocity Johnny for some quick witted classics. Thanks to all, especially Ben, Stu and Craig for a great site and for Shaina their wisdom. My poor old mac has finally surrender and is now just an iTunes stereo, so I will be taking a break from all Internet activities for a while. I am off to cairns so happy surfing to you all and may happiness, good fortune and great waves be your daily companions in 2020.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Dec 2019 at 7:49pm

Watched these two videos yesterday, pretty interesting relevant to the renewables discussion

1. on electric planes, they have already done small ones which are viable but big ones, hard to see that ever happening unless batteries get very light/smaller and hold heaps more charge.

2. Hydrogen cars, sound good at first but by the end of the video you will be going nah, could suit big planes though.

&t=784s

Pretty interesting, only short but well done videos.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 12:27pm

Merry XMas and happy new year, Dave, have a great trip!

Nice Indo, I have an electric plane, it's a 24 year old Makita ;)

And, keeping on this little 'cui bono' theme I'm doing behind all the gnashing of teeth of climate change, here comes the squid:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/750-billion-reasons-why-goldman-rootin...

What kind of a world do we have when new head of IMF suggests part of the bank's mandate is tackling climate change and enforcing equality - I dunno, seems awfully directed from the top down. Now we have the largest TBTF banks coming in behind this. No point in raging against it, it is what it is. Enjoy the green bubble everyone, it will actually make a difference and clean things up which will be a good thing, but I suspect the capital misallocation will eventually be in a league of its own

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 6:30pm

breaking news ....human leg washed up south of coffs with part of a wetsuit attached.....just in now.....probably shark attack of surfer or diver

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 7:25pm

With bootie still on sounds like a diver.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 8:20pm

Far out, hard to think what else it could have been other than a shark. I'm not familiar with the area to know whether there are any open ocean dive sites or not, but looks like there are a few river mouths around there.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 17 Dec 2019 at 8:37pm

Wow don’t get that every day but wasn’t it at the start of the year that human bones were being found off Port Macquarie beaches. 

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 10:33am

Feb/ Basher Raz went missing from Ballina wearing-flipperz
Very few boardriders wears booties for northcoast winter...

Distracted...Diver (Booties-Mid Winter?)

https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2019/06/20/police-divers-join-the-search-for-...
Notice: [Verifying tbb did report same missing person info to NSW Police]

(Non Stop Northerlies send down a host of missing Qldurrz)
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/search-scaled-back-...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 9:12am

Stay surf board shorts......anyone got any contact info on this company ? I bought a pair and love them . When I went back to get more they were out and the crew at the shop were no help . Nothing online about them.

Their tag is “ remember to surf “

Cheers if anyone has any info.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 10:17am

Studio Surf Burleigh - try them

Edit: Stay shorts may no longer exist

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 1:25pm

Cheers Udo.

Only got these off the rack couple of months ago .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 1:30pm

You mean Stay shorts have gone?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 2:40pm

Ironically enough , it seems they have.

Mine haven’t had a day off since I got them....they’re staying put.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 4:42pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 7:50pm

So hot right now, lioness.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 10:06pm

That’s them !

You’d think that the belt would be a liability in the surf .....and you’d be right . But when you look that good who gives a fuck ?

PS They’re advertised as mid-waisted but they do just fine up high.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 8:06pm

The Stay boardies are all black . A discrete little black logo and stretchy, comfortable goodness which just seems to stay clean despite the fact that they’ve coddled my sweaty nutsack for weeks now and been the recipient of all kinds of embarrassing and unsavoury spills .....inside and out .

I rate them very highly.

Zero scrot rot.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 8:55pm

Apropos of not much at all, I was looking through the local paper and found myself casting an eye over an article about local junior surfers.

One thing that always tickles me are the modern Australian names - we had Nyxie, Rino, Niamh and Juniper.

And then we had Touma.

Touma?

It can't be, it's not a Touma.

I mean, really?

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 9:00pm

Blowin the missus came back from Sideways up here at Tweed last week, and she bought a couple of pairs of boardies for me. I was reading this thread going "who the hell is Stay", and then realised that's what I'm currently wearing. They seem to go alright, only had them about a week.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 9:33pm

Europe: "OMG, look who's just moved in, hide the beer, there goes neighbourhood!
G'day...Sorry 'bout spewing in yer front garden at last Octoberfest...we're still good!

OZ takes up UK spot on EU as soon as we can kick the coal habit.(...Pretty soon!)
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/climate-policy-no-barri...

"Hey cuz, wanna plush Asian group upgrade!"...Socceroos gotta date with UEFA.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/27/brexit-could-deny-englan...

Check this cuz, wanna a gold ticket to Eurovision ...'Sweet ... swing yer mates in!'
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/05/16/brits-w...

Wimbledon now held at Wonglepong ('Come get yer Strawberry needles'n'cream!')
Hey Kiwis...wanna share an FA Cup'
'You couldn't lend us half for the Grand National could ya!.
Sorry! We kinda lost yer Ashes to the Kiwis...(We'll win them back, promise!)

Please all thank Brexit for "Austerity"
The Fall - Australians in Europe (It's ours now...How easy was that Cuz! Cheers!)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Dec 2019 at 9:57pm

Thanks for the lead ,Jono. I’ll try and hunt them down.

Like yourself, I tend to just build my wardrobe around one or timeless pieces and accessorise as seasons and trends dictate.

You’d better not have bought out their stock of 56” waist !

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 5:46am

Good to see you've 'trimmed' down Blowin.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 4:17pm

It's Broke - Fix It!
A former public service chief unloads

Former head of the public service Martin Parkinson has offered an acute diagnosis of what is going wrong with politics, in a podcast conversation with Guardian Australia’s political editor Katharine Murphy. It’s compulsory listening for anyone wondering WTF has happened this past decade. Unplugged after a 40-plus year career that put him at the centre of the biggest reforms undertaken in this country, from the GST to the carbon price, Parkinson observes that if there is one takeout for him it is “how ill-prepared ministers are to become ministers”. Parkinson criticises the ubiquitous career path, from student politician to unaccountable staffer to poorly informed backbencher to – all of a sudden – minister shouldering awesome national responsibility. As Australia’s problems pile up while the Morrison government perfects the art of doing as little as possible – about the economy, about climate, about constitutional recognition – Parkinson delivers his blows in the dignified language of a career public servant.

Some standout highlights from the discussion: Parkinson does not believe the public service tradition of giving “frank and fearless” advice to government is dead, and he urges public servants to keep giving it. He also believes that, while Scott Morrison has a sophisticated view of the role of the public service under the Westminster system, too many members of his government have a dismissive attitude – summarised as “we’ll do the thinking, you do the doing” – which undermines both policy development and implementation. Most ministerial advisers, Parkinson laments, don’t understand the Westminster system at all and remain completely unaccountable, particularly since the government has rejected a key recommendation from the Thodey review of the public service, to impose a code of conduct on them. Parkinson criticises populist politicians who pretend there are easy solutions to difficult policy problems – and we can see the results of their failure everywhere. 

On climate, Parkinson says the decade’s failure has gotten so bad that business will not wait on the Commonwealth any longer, fearing a combination of mitigation risk that will leave legacy assets stranded, adaptation risks as the costs of inaction mount, reputation risk as institutional investors become more concerned (and on that note today’s Chanticleer column points to [$] the massive inflows to industry super funds this year) and liability risk as climate criminals start getting sued. Parkinson is scathing about the Green’s decision to vote down Kevin Rudd’s emissions trading scheme in 2009 – admitting to a “visceral dislike” of the minor party – and believes Tony Abbott as incoming prime minister in 2013 had political debts, which meant he was obliged to get rid of anything to do with climate change. That included Parkinson, who was then Treasury secretary but was formerly head of the climate change department that developed the Rudd emissions trading scheme, which was in turn based on work he’d done on the Shergold review under the Howard government, at a point where there was a major-party consensus on the best way to address climate change. 

Parkinson’s observations come at a time of reflection on a lost decade in Australia politics, and after the ANU Australian Election Study revealed trust in government had sunk to an all-time low, with 75 per cent of people agreeing that “people in government look after themselves”. Crikey’s Bernard Keane argued [$] that it showed Australia’s political class was “no longer fit for purpose”. The Australia Institute’s chief economist Richard Denniss put a fine point on it last week, tweeting that “Morrison’s denial re the need to do more to fight bushfires is consistent with his denial of the need to stimulate the economy, reduce emissions or fight corruption in Canberra. His government isn’t just post-truth, it’s post governing.”

Scott Morrison is entitled to have his holiday – although Lara Worthington getting stuck in on #wherethebloodyhellareyou has got to hurt – but his do-nothing, footy-watching, daggy dad routine is not going to cut it in 2020.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 4:59pm

Stu, a very well written summation, as someone who once routinely met and provided verbal and written briefings to ministers and their advisors it’s hard to ignore, this current malaise.

I see this inaction as very deliberate, the electoral settings were first established under Howard, the messaging, the largesse, the priorities and he was so successful it’s Morrison’s only role to maintain the status quo of favour and inequity. Hence, small target do nothing government otherwise explained in the total lack of any reform agenda; and heaven help any labor opposition who dares to put forward a policy agenda like last election.

I personally don’t see any of this ending soon, it’s entrenched this aspiration, it’s going to take personal pain like a hard recession or perhaps a summer or two of fires like this one so far before people might forget their free franking credits cash or other such bribes and vote labor

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 6:14pm

Trump Impeached!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 6:21pm

Agree 100% Guy.

And now that the framework is in place and has been proven to be so successful, it's just a matter of continuing the progression.

And it's clear they feel untouchable, you can see the open contempt on Scummo's face as he stands in front of the press.

I know what you mean when you say they're a small target government but at the same time, it's clear their agenda is all-encompassing.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:03pm

“and heaven help any labor opposition who dares to put forward a policy agenda like last election.”

Rubbish. If the ALP put forward a policy of reducing immigration to historical levels and put forward the factual argument that it was imperative for sustainability, preservation of the environment , the nature of Australia’s water scarcity and then hammered home the realities of the economic benefits then the LNP would be toast.

And the ALP only has to return to its foundational tenets to do so , it’s not like it would be betraying the fundamentals of the party. Their current stance is the aberration.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:15pm

The ALP put forward (poorly sold) factual arguments at the last federal election and the electorate wiped their arses with them.

And Labor will never do that for the two basic reasons we've discussed many times.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:17pm

They put forward the wrong policies.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:19pm

The Trump impeachment vote is basically the consolation prize for those who lost the election it seems.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:35pm

I too want our immigration levels drastically slashed but, unfortunately, to do so will slow the economy and how will any political party sell that against Murdoch, the IPA, the property council(s) and their lobbyists linked to the mother of all scare problems about falling property prices.

Not going to happen as much as we all might want, maybe a gradual incremental fall associated with a 3-4 term government or maybe if we have that recession many say we are years overdue to suffer.

We’re screwed.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:40pm

Blowin, cutting immigration is going to be the wrong policy to the must powerful lobby groups in the country.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the people apply more pressure to the government than the big corporations.

Yeah it's grim Guy, all the old hands in the staff room say the same thing - this country is fucked and there's no foreseeable way for things to come good except going through the major trauma of a big shakeup.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:41pm

It all comes down to whether the ALP actually want to serve the people then doesn’t it ?

And if the ALP had the courage of their convictions then they would back the reduction and they would then get elected.....and then the corpo donors come running anyway .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 19 Dec 2019 at 7:55pm

Gudang'd be good about now.