Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 11 Feb 2023 at 1:19pm

I am. Against the 15min city thing, that is.

To hell with them.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 11 Feb 2023 at 1:39pm
Island Bay wrote:

I am. Against the 15min city thing, that is.

To hell with them.

it's ok it they build it...

build it and they will come and all that

it's about how 'they' enforce it

and, we've had a glimpse into that...

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 11 Feb 2023 at 2:43pm

Exactly.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 1:28pm

If any proposal for building 70 huge towers off any coast was proposed for any other purpose than wind power it would lead to local and national protests from all sides of the political and environmental spectrum on multiple grounds.

Bob Brown is no fan.

https://bobbrown.org.au/story/offshore-windfarms/

Now replicate the port MacDonnell proposal all around our coasts a thousand times ....

Must be better options.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 2:01pm

Anyone got any thoughts on the call to either not reprint Ronald Dahl’s books or to re-write parts of them?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 2:18pm

I think his name is much better rewritten as Ronald.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 2:46pm

I always wondered if they forgot the ‘n‘ on his birth certificate and it just kinda stuck?

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 2:54pm
AndyM wrote:

Anyone got any thoughts on the call to either not reprint Ronald Dahl’s books or to re-write parts of them?

I'm in the middle of reading 'The Invisible Man', for the first time. A book from 1897. He wrote the term 'I worked like a nigger' in it. When I read it, I did a double take, but it was the vernacular of the time and to change it would be to mess with H.G. Wells' creation.

If Cardi B can write about WAP and every second RAP song uses the N word, then 'who gives a flying **ck about Rohald Dahl using words like 'fat' or 'ugly'?

The world has gone PC mad.

Not that I'm a massive fan, but check out some of Ricky Gervais' thoughts on offending people.

https://twitter.com/Clark1995Clark/status/1511436314788483076?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1511436314788483076%7Ctwgr%5E632b2e8cac2bc38b35ab5cba7fd7828f3ab91fab%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indy100.com%2Fcelebrities%2Fricky-gervais-offensive-comedy-video

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 2:59pm

What if, like Ronald's birth certificate, it was simply a typo and he meant to say that Augustus Gloop was fast?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 3:04pm

My 2 cents worth. Keep them as they were written, geez if you are going to be offended don't read them. If in a school situation, let the kids know the historical context etc. My daughter loved reading 'The Twits' and they want to leave out words such as fat and ugly???
Anyway reckon what Ricky says is spot on, his stand up on Netflix nails it.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 3:26pm

Or he meant to say Mike TV was a smart-arsed little prick.

I‘m sure I read that in the book somewhere?

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 4:03pm
stunet wrote:

What if, like Ronald's birth certificate, it was simply a typo and he meant to say that Augustus Gloop was fast?

Fast at eating, which is why he was fat.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm
stunet wrote:

I think his name is much better rewritten as Ronald.

Shit

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 6:09pm

Steve Hughes nailed it.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 8:16pm
tubeshooter wrote:

Steve Hughes nailed it.

Yep. Seen it before, but good to re-watch. Perfect.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 21 Feb 2023 at 9:28pm

We've got a set of the audio books of Ro(n)ald's collected works on CD. Our kids loved them. Mind you I swear like Al Swearengen from Deadwood so it was all a bit mild. Probs best to leave them where they are, but its a commercial decision, so let them live with the consequences of it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 2:08am
AndyM wrote:

it's just weird...

isn't the whole point of calling gloop boy fat to teach kids a lesson not to eat 10 chocolate bars a day?

it is just more sheltering of kids (adults?) from reality...

kids stories, stories... nearly always have a subtle moral message, now, a certain cohort is working so hard on sanitising the world you cannot even call a glutonous fat kid fat... its a form of insanity...

then, at the other end of the scale, disney has gone full wokeazoid...

and has given up on any subtleties...

its gone full angry shouting in your face hate filled propaganda...

(with little kid's entertaiment value it would seem)

https://m.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 3:57pm

Selfie of the year so far, not sure if it'll be topped: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/22/pentagon-pilot-selfie-chin...

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 5:16pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 5:19pm

Here’s another weather one. I’ve never seen anything like this.
https://apple.news/A9TFThzP6TRGaRnmDKyLQ-Q

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 1:21pm

Fark!!!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 1:25pm

Seeds, see those scuddy features all the time just ahead of southerly busters etc and severe thunderstorms. When you see them, almost spinning and growing on themselves, you know the air is really unstable with mixing air masses.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 1:40pm
Craig wrote:

Seeds, see those scuddy features all the time just ahead of southerly busters etc and severe thunderstorms. When you see them, almost spinning and growing on themselves, you know the air is really unstable with mixing air masses.

Cheers. I’m gunna keep an eye out.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 1:42pm
Craig wrote:

Fark!!!

https://twitter.com/i_ameztoy/status/1629476443162804224

Holy shit. No chance for the poor buggers.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 3:23pm

Awful

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 5:17pm

Silly Boy

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 5:57pm
Craig wrote:

Agree Craig. My wife and I coined them ‘dementors’ quite a few years ago, and apparently so did others who saw this photo. They are pretty regular, at least over the water as a storm front gathers. Probs have quite a few photos of them, having taken more photos of clouds than anything else on my phone.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 6:04pm

Double post. The iPad froze!

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 6:03pm
udo wrote:

Silly Boy

Farkin hell. The world is such a weird place.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 8:18pm
batfink wrote:
udo wrote:

Silly Boy

Farkin hell. The world is such a weird place.

I like the way the driver made sure the kid didnt fall whilst getting off the bus before sending him on his way with a right hook.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 2:57pm

Caloundra bar nearly completed closed now, some great pics in the article: https://www.sunshinecoastnews.com.au/2023/02/24/sand-jam-images-show-cho...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 5:32pm
gsco wrote:

Caloundra bar nearly completed closed now, some great pics in the article: https://www.sunshinecoastnews.com.au/2023/02/24/sand-jam-images-show-cho...

Wow thats crazy, decent beachies there now when swell?

I lived about a kilometre from there about twenty years ago for a bit, use to surf the bar whenever it broke, heaps of potential and occasionally you would get a good one but was a kunt of a wave so hard to be in the right spot.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 6:31pm

Had a few pretty alright surfs out there this yr. Surfed somewhere else in the last cyclone but some mates said the bar wasn’t really holding the swell on the Sunday morning, which was the big morning with a nice light northerly, not sure if they were bullshitting..!

Hmm I was living at moffs 20yrs ago.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 9:28pm

I walked over to Nth Bribie yesterday evening at 6pm low tide. Through the channel it was knee deep on yesterday evening’s low. It’s ankle deep around the outer eastern bank.
22-F82920-68-F8-4-B28-B1-AC-DEC95-D204908
Walked down to the new entrance. Looks set up for a left but it’d have to have a north swell maybe more so than the old bar. Wonder if anyone checked on that first pulse of Gabrielle.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 28 Feb 2023 at 7:39am

When do we get the interview with Torren ?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 28 Feb 2023 at 8:37am

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 28 Feb 2023 at 9:54am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 11:40am

After many years of keeping the media at bay - but not social media of course - Kelly Slater has lately been doing the rounds of the non-endemics.

You may have seen him appear on a video for Wired magazine answering questions from Twitter such as "why do surfers use wax?"

Today, he's appeared in another video, this time for Conde Nast Traveller, wearing exactly the same duds (obviously not a reversible Outerknown shirt) telling non-surfers about Hawaii.

Curiously, about a month ago Slater's people contacted Swellnet for an interview. I registered interest and, as requested, sent them a list of questions we'd be asking, also telling them who'd be asking them. They were all softball questions; interesting but miles away from anything controversial.

Then, despite them contacting us for an interview, we got turned down for the interview.

Like a driver who pulls up and asks for directions, then disputes the answer.

Anyway, it was all very confusing....actually, no it wasn't. It was mildly bemusing, especially to see the media that is getting a pass mark from Slater's people.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 1:09pm

"Like a driver who pulls up and asks for directions, then disputes the answer."
Haha.
He obviously doesn't want the hard questions from the likes of you Stu. Has nothing to say, more about expanding his market I spose.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 1:18pm

Wouldna been me asking them. I put Steve's name down as the interviewer.

Maybe that explains it.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 1:39pm

Must be scared of the 'Outsider"

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 2:09pm

Most likely a deliberate strategy of courting mainstream puff pieces to keep Slater elevated as a marketable sports icon and put pressure on WSL to gift him wildcards if he fails to make the cut.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 3:12pm

Reckon if he put on a few more kilos he'd start looking like Jason Stevenson.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 3:32pm
freeride76 wrote:

Most likely a deliberate strategy of courting mainstream puff pieces to keep Slater elevated as a marketable sports icon and put pressure on WSL to gift him wildcards if he fails to make the cut.

Or sell some more boards (or both). Here's another recent post. He's ubiquitous.

&t=2s

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 3:51pm

He's full of shit. Legendary surfer for sure but I never thought of him as some intelligent person.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 3:59pm

“ Curiously, about a month ago Slater's people contacted Swellnet for an interview. I registered interest and, as requested, sent them a list of questions we'd be asking, also telling them who'd be asking them. ”

Imagine having been in the publics eye for 40 odd years and still being this desperate for publicity

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 4:34pm

Trying to improve his online content, presence and image after getting splashed across the net as a nut job conspiracy theorist and anti-vaxer etc.

Drowning out the negative publicity and content with new online content that has increased and prioritised visibility and exposure in the search engine and social media algorithms.