velocityjohnno Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm

Two stroke exhaust stings
The forming lungs of summer
Groms. Away, cockhead.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm

Didn't we go through this already?

As an old mate prone to malapropism used to say, "I've got a strong feeling of rendezvous."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:26pm

What I've always wondered about 'Ode to a Jet Ski Hoon' is that, not only did it get a letter of the month in ASL, but a few years later it also appeared in a best of ASL, again credited to 'Mad Cow'.

Did no-one at ASL realise it was ripped off after they first ran it?

Did no-one - not friends, family, or fans - tell them?

If only I could find an ex-staffer from ASL to ask them about it...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:27pm

Well, your post did take my swear word off the front page, so there's that.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:28pm

Forget the structure. This is the most perfect line ever put to page .

“Noisy, smoking dickhead fool,”

Pure.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:33pm

It was almost haiku, that line, hence the inspiration

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 25 Jan 2021 at 7:36pm

Going back to the Facebook/Google vs AusGov fight, secondhand reading suggests only verified/approved media will be linked to (& paid for I assume)... This might just mean Rupert as pointed out. So, what happens to Swellnet? If independent media gets the cold shoulder on linking from searches, will Swellnet links come up in searches as a safely approved media format?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 28 Jan 2021 at 12:20pm

Blowin- Huge price drops on this..
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wombarra/surfing/al-merric-surfboard-gro...
team light glassing could be a worry - and Posca over the Stars n Stripes

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 2 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 3 Feb 2021 at 5:11pm
bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 3 Feb 2021 at 5:55pm

Natural selection at work

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 3 Feb 2021 at 7:13pm

“The clinic was shut down in December last year….”

Wonder if there's many job opportunities available for out of work colonic irrigators

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Wednesday, 3 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm

Guess they could probably snake any blocked drains on the cheap?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 8 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm

Oh shit .....the truth is starting to creep out from under the carpet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-08/ian-verrender-do-your-bit-for-aus...

The ABC luvvies must’ve coughed in their rompers when they came across this factual passage in their own name :

“Immigration and the GDP growth myth
Wages have been kept in check for the past 30 years for a variety of measures.

The industrial relations system is far less tolerant of union action and strikes, the number of workers signing up as union members is dwindling and our large immigration program — which constantly adds new workers — keeps a lid on wage growth.

Ask most Australians, and they’ll tell you we’re tough on border control and immigration.

But it’s not the case. We’re tough on a tiny number of desperate refugees fleeing political turmoil and war.

But that’s all for show. When it comes to immigration, it’s pretty much open slather.

Immigration was a boon for Australia in the post-war era. But during the past 20 years, it has been used as a cheap and easy way to make it look as though our economy was growing.

In fact, we’ve been running one of the biggest immigration policies per head of population in the developed world.

More people, by definition, equals a bigger economy and it gives the impression of strong GDP growth.

While the economy overall may be getting bigger, individually, we can end up worse off.“

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 8 Feb 2021 at 9:39pm

The most interesting thing about that article is that graph on "Foreign born as a percentage of population" (it's from 2017)

1.Luxembourg
2.Switzerland
3. Australia
4. NZ

Now compare that too countries with highest min wage (2020-21)

1.Luxembourg
2. Australia
3. France
4. NZ

Yeah different years but i know the min wage doesn't change too much, expect the same with the foreign born as a percentage of population.

It can't be pure coincidence, there must be tied in some way?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 8 Feb 2021 at 10:19pm

And in 2016 nearly half (49%) of all Australians were either born overseas or had at least one parent who was born overseas

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Feb 2021 at 10:51pm

The Green Cathredal - South Coast Hippie living
https://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1006&context=ccs

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 9 Feb 2021 at 5:49am

That was epic Udo.

Thanks so much to the writer - Joseph Davis - was brilliant. Cheers.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 9:03am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 9:08am

The 'Rattlesnake' currently has a great lump of sand 3/4 of the way down the point, which, on the upstream side, makes the wave so fast even Mick Fanning couldn't keep up, and on the downstream side a slower version of itself so anyone who's not Mick Fanning can make the wave.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 10:48am

"Have it cunts"?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 11:05am

Ain't nuthin' but a homepage cuss removing post.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 11:19am

Sorry, but it is the subtitle of this thread...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 11:27am

No it isn't, it's the first post, edited after the fact.

What's your point?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 11:44am

Have it cunts?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 10 Feb 2021 at 11:45am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 15 Feb 2021 at 10:29am

Some really interesting stuff last night on our lockdown walk. We go late to have the place to ourselves (and maybe evoke a little of the post-apocalyptic fiction we got as high school kids with titles such as 'Day of the Triffids', 'Z for Zachariah')

After saying hello to the neighbourhood turtle shell cat that was out watching the roosting cockies, there was a distinct flash in the sky behind the clouds, appearing to the south. I thought maybe a transformer going up (that happened last year one night) but no:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/once-in-a-lifetime-exploding-meteor-lights-up-...

Check out the video!

Would be really interesting to find where the actual location was that it blew up in the atmosphere!

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 15 Feb 2021 at 10:44am

Saw it on may way home from work last night!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 16 Feb 2021 at 2:50pm

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/mick-fanning-duplex-sells-after-biddi...
initial Purchase price and renovated Sold price ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 20 Feb 2021 at 4:31pm

Isolation Blues
Bazza you Legend.....YEW !

&feature=emb_logo

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 20 Feb 2021 at 5:23pm

funny as...rewind it

&ab_channel=GaryDelaney

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 26 Feb 2021 at 1:07pm

Amazing in the story of Melissa Caddick and her likely jumping from around Dover Heights, drifting with the EAC down to the far South Coast. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-26/melissa-caddick-found-dead/13195242

Those surfing would have been aware of the warm tongue of the EAC that projected back down that way, but looking at the currents from November 13th from when she was reported missing, it looks like the body could have drifted first south, then back north, east and then pushed down into the South Coast.

Gruesome yes but interesting none the less..

November, current initially flowing south mid-month but reversed back north and then pushes into the warm core eddy some distant east of Sydney.

December likely fair way offshore in that tongue extending in a south-west direction towards Jervis Bay.

January, the tongue pushes into the far South Coast.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Feb 2021 at 3:13pm

Malcom Douglas had an old video about the dangerous bar crossings of various rivers on the East coast. It included a story about a woman who decided to commit suicide by swimming directly out to sea at Wattamola in the Royal National Park. She swam a few kms out to sea at night before changing her mind and decided she wanted to keep living. The EAC had her in its grasp and she drifted offshore down to Bellambi where a couple of very surprised old fishos spotted her drifting past as they deep dropped the shelf for cod.

They brought her to shore and she kept on keeping on.

Yet someone else gets taken out by a Noah in thigh deep water off the beach. Funny old world,

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Friday, 26 Feb 2021 at 6:44pm

Been a couple of ocean rescues lately but I reckon this one takes the prize for the luckiest

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/25/sailor-survives-for-14-hou...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 26 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Friday, 26 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm

OK Udo, you got the last one wrong, had me googling some poor guy and it wasn't even him! So this time do your thing that you do on the internet and find out who the alleged rapist is. Entered parliament after 1988, senior minister possibly from NSW.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 22 Mar 2021 at 12:56pm

Crazy flying at the end as well..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 10:48am

Anyone ever been stung by a giant stinging tree, either Dendrconide moroides (the Gympie Gympie tree) or Dendrocnide excelsa?

A week ago I'd barely heard of them, then last Sunday my son and were touched up by D. excelsa - which thankfully is the lesser of the two, the Gympie Gympie sounds like a right bastard.

I went back up to the track where it happened and was surprised by the sheer numbers of them growing: knee-high specimens next to the track, established trees tens of metres high, and everything else in between.

I've spoken to a few people since then and very few of them have heard of these plants - also known as the Australian nettle tree, funnily enough.

So, anyone else had close encounters with them?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:07am

Never even heard of them!

Terrible or minor irritant?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:18am

Anecdotally, the Gympie Gympie is called 'the suicide tree', and some people describe it as the worst pain imaginable, and if that aint bad enough the pain doesn't diminish for days, sometimes weeks, with people reporting recurrences months after being stung.

And get this, the Gympie Gympie is such a hard bastard that it'll still sting you when it's dead. In fact, century-old leaf samples sitting in a museum have been known to still deliver stings.

Fortunately, Dendrocnide excelsa is a bit milder, say, a few notches up on the pain-o-meter from a bluey. Often the problem is that you're way in the bush and far from help.

Trick is to carry strong gaffer tape, sticking plaster, or even wax dilapidation strips. Stick them to the affected area, then strip them off and they should remove the fine silica needles from your skin. If you don't remove them then they keep on stinging.

Amazing plants.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:23am

I googled the plant, but dont recall being stung by it, and here i was thinking id been stung by everything possible.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:24am

This is the leaf of a small one:

Other leaf samples from an older plant so with less distinct serrations on the edges:

And an established tree:

Walking this track I reckon I saw upwards of fifty specimens in the first 500m. 

Having been stung I'm a bit edgy about going back up there.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:41am

My daughter got stung up at Dorrigo a couple of weeks ago. She described the pain as similar to a nasty burn and electric shock. The old wax strips trick was an effective treatment. I’ve even heard of people getting stung just walking beneath the tree! Left untreated, the pain can persist for months. I read about someone who wiped his arse with one of these leaves and later died. Sounds like a good specimen to plant along the boundary of your property if you’ve got terrible neighbours.

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 11:55am

"I read about someone who wiped his arse with one of these leaves and later died."

Imagine the funeral, mourners trying to keep mental images of the deceased's last moments at bay.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 12:46pm

Went sight seeing up to Dorrigo once, went to the national park and chose a 5 k walk. It was wet and pretty muddy so I left my shoes and decided to jog through the park...Was having a lovely jog when I noticed my feet were heating up...and up and up...until it turned into a hardcore 5 k race with my feet on fire and dying to get back to my car. Maybe the mud helped settle it down but it was friggin nasty. Found out I'd jogged through giant stinger leaves everywhere after a big blow...Learn something everyday ya do..

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 24 Mar 2021 at 1:21pm

"Sounds like a good specimen to plant along the boundary of your property if you’ve got terrible neighbours."
Or around your cash crop!!