Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 1:26pm

"it's a fucking minefield for kids these days"

Point being, it was interesting to see young men recognise this and reject it but not in a yob way.
Those fellas were having a good hard think about it and telling people that they're just going to have to deal with life's micro-aggressions.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 2:18pm

Not sure what’s changed over the years , whether the girls have adopted some masculinity, or, social media is to blame, but the amount of girls fighting in high school these days is very sad for modern society.

I can recall maybe a couple fights between girls the whole time I was at high school, but my oldest kid reckons there would be a girls fight about every month. And that is just an average public high school, wouldn’t call it a particularly rough school.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 3:58pm

I hope this gets off the ground. Would be epic hearing from some of this crew

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 5:24pm

Yes , that would be very interesting.

But what’s with all the crowd funding ? Is that an investment vehicle with reciprocal returns or is it just hitting crew up for seed money so you can make out like a bandit if successful but not risk anything if it goes cnt up ?

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:30pm

Tim Winton portrays toxic masculinity in some of his fictional characters. Here’s an interesting article in which he writes about his own experiences and observations:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/09/about-the-boys-tim-winton-...

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 6:45pm

You want to see some serious crowd funding / grifting look no further than Donald J Trump who has raised $170 million from his followers when he begged them to fund legal challenges to the election.
Avi the wife bashing shit gibbon Yemimi raised $100K for a legal challenge into the state's lockdown laws when they were being eased. So far no court case.
But hey, the big issue is artists doing a bit of crowd funding.

** make mental note. Start up crowd funding for nuclear arsenal to defend us against China / take some money off blowin and his fellow travellers.

oops. I've said too much.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 9:01pm

Another good idea that someone else pays for. Hope it works out though

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Dec 2020 at 8:59pm

VL as per usual you are full of shit , Avi's crowd funding that is over 100K was not about lockdown laws it was about his unlawful arrest when he had all his papers in order and video evidence that he was doing nothing wrong, in the area reporters should be etc, it's been taken to the supreme court, expect the case is still on-going.

BTW. the biggest crowdfunding scam this year has been BLM millions have been raised, where do think that money went???

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Saturday, 5 Dec 2020 at 12:29pm

Song for the Thursday last thread. Joe asks the question decades ago

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Dec 2020 at 12:53pm

Epic song.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 5 Dec 2020 at 1:10pm

how profound is that song in the modern context...

often springs to mind

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 10:04pm

China is building a $200M multi-functional fishery industrial park in Torres Strait, Daru Island, where there is not much in the way of fish.

Interesting stuff for the locals, local fishermen and ... Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-12/australia-recognised-threat-png-v...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 13 Dec 2020 at 1:37pm

That's going to be like the French boats coming up to the UK shoreline... or the Brit boats and the Icelanders!
Cod wars here we come

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 13 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 13 Dec 2020 at 3:35pm

hey Vic, heard about the friendly dolphin at pt roadknight hanging around the lineup for hours at a time?

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 9:21am

the dolphin has also being playing around at Addis.....happy we are out of lockdown ?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021 at 8:29pm

Hahaha..

A post shared by (@we_surf_for_life)

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm

Hahaha classic - totally beaked it!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Jan 2021 at 9:32pm

What’s that you say ?

You wonder what Scottish Twitter looks like ?

https://imgur.com/gallery/PPF2vrT

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 7:35am

Remember a few months ago when the ridiculous notion that calling COVID the China virus was considered the epitome of racism ?

Of course it was absurd then and it’s still absurd now and is quite readily proven absurd to anyone who’s read about the UK mutation and the South African strain of Coronavirus without falling apart at the blatant racism of the nomenclature .

Just goes to show how effective and insidious the CCP propaganda arm can be when it can alter the global narrative so easily to protect the China brand. Lot of useful idiots willing to jump in feet first and spread their propaganda rubbish for free including some on these comments boards who strangely enough don’t feel the need to accuse those who use the term UK mutation of hate speech.

From today’s SMH :

“Greater Brisbane will head into lockdown on Friday over fears the so-called British variant of the coronavirus, which is believed to be more infectious, leaked from hotel quarantine“

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 9:03am

I kinda thought the same thing but was reluctant to say. The highly infectious mutant British and South African strains or when kids were supposedly developing Kawasaki disease. Not a blip in the media about that but rightfully mention the C word and you're immediately labelled a racist. Go figure.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 3:02pm

That's why I like the term "Kung Flu". Practitioners can be from all races :)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 8:56pm

Jen See on a tear at Beachgrit . Very Seppo but very good.

https://beachgrit.com/2021/01/surfline-man-orders-a-surfboard-part-ii-he...

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm

Jen See’s ‘Surfline Man’ has gotten better imho. It was punishing shite to start with. As you said, very Seppo.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 9 Jan 2021 at 9:59pm

Yep. This episode was good. Others ....meh.

Finding her rhythm.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 10 Jan 2021 at 10:51am

I’m no Luddite and fully understand that humanity is driven by creativity and the desire to invent tools which further the development of our society. I’m also very aware of the incredible advantages and opportunities that this creativeness , inventiveness and pursuit of technological progress may hold for us all. The mind staggers at the potential applications for the technology displayed below. So perhaps it’s more a reflection of my own mindset when the very first potential application i imagine is these things being used to oppress people / surveil and police humanity / brandishing weapons etc

Amazing stuff nonetheless.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:44pm
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm

Cheers Udo. That was a good read FR. Funny and horrific all at the same time....

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 5:27pm

Agreed Freeride. Great writing and summed the place up perfectly. Spent a long time in Byron and it's the other side that stands out more the longer you're there. The rest of it just washes in and out. There's a heavy energy to the place underneath it all. Glad i left, but when i tell people i moved from there, they look at me as if i'm crazy. ha!

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:02pm

Eloquently written...that would be capturing the zeitgeist, wouldn't it?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:43pm

Never been to Byron. Would have loved to many moons ago but now its on my least likely place to visit, ever.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 6:48pm

That was really good FR. Loved the focus on those in the shadow, and the literary mentions.

I never did discover Nirvana in that town. Midyear 1997, I did the road trip over east with the old man. He chose a hotel overlooking the CES, and recently retired, I got to see him fume just a little at everyone lined up getting their pay for paradise. The wave quality - it was different, and I liked it. Lightyears above the metro closeouts, and completely alien to the raw power and dark water and real consequence of Down South. Looong rides too, predictable faces. It was just... nice. An easy option.

Years later, I returned on a road trip with my son, he was learning and the pass was small and kind. We both reflected a similar setup at home was better, though, as less crowded.

Then later, getting to Broken marked the point at a road trip north where we really noticed, felt, crowds for the first time. There was a little lamenting, but I did surf over a baby bull shark on the inside, which was cool.

I must've missed the start of insta influencers, but it's nice that Australia has a sacrificial anode for that thing going on - somewhere else.

If FR can parallel a topic to Halldor Laxness' "Independent People" and Bjartur's heroic/moronic fight in the blizzard, I'll shout him a beer if I ever meet him.

Until then, hooray for cold water and grey skies.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 7:24pm

Havent been there for about 15 years, cant imagine whats it's like now was already full of dodgy people, rich yuppies and hipsters even back then, never lived there but use to spend a lot of time there enough time to go to the pub and know a lot of local crew.

Have a lot of great memories of the place though use to love doing a bit of a pub crawl normally starting at the Railway onto the Beach then onto The Great Northern, seen some great bands there too.

90% of my time I spent surfing in that area though was between Suffolk Park to Boulders, love Lennox especially a good day at low tide.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm

Got my best ever gobby at Byron from a fine local lass after a Dreamkillers gig. That experience definitely skews my image of the joint towards the cosmic side cause I saw all kinds of shooting stars and magic on the way to the Little Death.

More of a Ballina sort of guy myself. Byron is beautiful whilst Ballina is not but you can only witness so many people struggling to reconcile their actual selves with the third person ego narrative they wish to present before your stomach contents seek daylight through your mouth.

Excellent story by Freeride. Bit of craftsmanship in his prose. Me like much.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm

cheers gents.
I guess I will always have a love/hate relationship with the joint.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm

I'm so outta of the loop. what is VAL - is this a new street slang thing now? short for Valhalla? .. i just came up for air from that vanity fair article link. could only stomach a scan..... car crash stuff.... spew in mouth whole way through..

last time I was in the area was probs 6 or 7 years ago. was passing through for a cpla nights, stayed in the hinterland. observations: every 2nd 'local' was a reiki masseur with a FIFO northern beaches banker hubby. but i am a cynical prick

but good stuff FR. hope it hits home with the audience. its very serious

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:36pm

VAL is an acronym for Vulnerable Adult Learner. It’s built upon a derivation of the derogatory Seppo centric term Val which is short for kook from the San Fernando Valley in California. Their version of Westies or Bogans .

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Go%20back%20to%20the%20v...

It’s a term birthed and sustained by Beachgrit. The same site which hosts Freeride’s excellent scribblings alongside unrepentant shark and snatch based click bait articles. Funny , incisive and well written when the proprietors are focussed . A stalking horse for the vomit inducing and unrepresentative SIMA perspective of surfing as conduit for consumerism whilst being self aware enough to avoid going Full Stab.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 8:53pm

thank you. gunna file that that the Laugh out Lots. hip to the g

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:34pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:39pm
blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm

He he he .

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:50pm

3 cheese and an upvote for Betoota.

Love it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 6:02pm

And a three piece with a soda for Byron-style narcissists ;)

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm

Our rescue mutt has enough followers....
B4524-DE9-5-C90-42-AA-BA45-EA956-C33-DE3-B

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm

That's a lovely photo. What a cool looking dog.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 8:12pm

Cheers Zen, he is a ripper.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 Jan 2021 at 7:19pm
Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 21 Jan 2021 at 11:39am

World's first domestic hydrogen battery developed by Australian firm

"LAVO’s chief executive, Alan Yu, says the unit can store three times as much power as the largest popular commercially available wall-mounted batteries, allowing it to power the average household for two to three days on a single charge.

"Unlike other lithium batteries, it can also constantly recharge itself rather than waiting until it has been fully discharged.

"He said the system, which costs around $34,000, has a lifespan around three times longer than current lithium batteries and should last users around 30 years. When the hydride is degraded it can be melted down and reused, giving the system significant environmental advantages over its competitors."

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/world-s-first-domes...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 21 Jan 2021 at 11:46am

Awesome.

Also (don't have a link atm) but check out what Japan is doing in developing solid state batteries for cars. Improving existing tech which will probably make the standard lithium ion battery tech obsolete.