Interesting stuff

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 21 Jun 2019 at 8:01am

Have it cunts

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:35am

If people don’t want to read bullshit then they shouldn’t put bullshit up here.

How many times have we heard the lie repeated that mass immigration doesn’t drive up house prices ?

Would you describe that as fake news , misinformation or just plain lies ?

All of the above.

Do you think it’s toxic masculinity which drives them to feel that they should bolster their flawed arguments with patently untrue information ?......Lol.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:36am

You want bullshit? What about this?
"Blindboy.- if you are willing to forsake your principles for a few dollars ....then you never really had principles."

So what exactly are you saying, what few dollars? Got an naswer to that? No. Just your usual crap, throw out gross insults with no evidence to back them and scuttle back into the dark.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:38am

Wot?

Just to be clear: We're under no illusion that the forums will ever make any money, it's wilful in the extreme to think it can ever happen and only people with a 90s understanding of the 'net would think it's any other way.

We do it because we like the exchange of ideas, design ideas, economic, books, music, and yes, political ideas too. Some people don't like parts of the content or some of the commenters, we've received emails saying as much, but overall I think more people appreciate having a space to air their views or read other people's.

A fault of some commenters is to treat it as a battle that has to be won, that they MUST have the last say in. If you don't like what someone proffers, then counter it, if you think it's heading towards gridlock then have a laugh, walk away. The world is still turning, your friends are still your friends, and you'll see that what's happening on the Swellnet forums has no bearing on that.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:47am

Blindboy....that was a rhetorical statement. Truely it was . It was in response to something you’d said but you weren’t implied.

But your unrelenting claim that mass immigration didn’t push up house prices was pure bullshit. Even worse was that aside from lying , you claimed that I was peddling fake news because I was racist. That shit is disgraceful.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:43am

there has been massive land clearing around where you are, blowin....masssive agricultural land clearing, and logging for timber.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 11:55am

Most of the logging around here is selective logging, not clear felling. The vast majority isn’t clear felling.

Every single bit of clearing to accommodate population growth is clear felling. Not just clear felling but dewatering of wetlands, land reclamation and then every toxic chemical under the sun used in construction.

Ask yourself this , Chook .....it’s blatantly obvious to even the most casual observer that the habitat destruction resulting from rampant population growth is a major contributor to habitat loss and species extinction....why are you arguing against this fact ?

Is it because you feel that you should disagree with me due to animosity ?

The environment doesn’t give a fuck about you and I . It just gets overrun and arguing against its protection to score points against me is fucking ridiculous.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:17pm

you view the claim that the north coast has suffered biodiversity loss from logging and argricultural land clearing as a personal attack on you? you're so warped and crazed by your anti-immigration rantings.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:24pm

A word from your boss (May 2019):

"Yep, Politico threads have been removed from the front page.

Totally happy for you guys to nut it out in these threads, but TBH we've been getting pretty tired of the front page displaying a revolving door of political commentary (via the 'In The Forums' latest comments). The Politico forum attracts a tiny percentage of our users, but over the last year or so, has seemingly occupied a permenant position on the homepage. I was hoping it'd abate post-election but the reverse seems to have occured.

We're a surfing site, and would much prefer to promote a broader spread of discussions around more relevant topics. Like surfing. Or waves. Or surfboards. Or surf travel. Or something kinda related to surfing.

We are planning a big makeover of the entire Forums section (a general look n' feel, plus some new functionality), but in the meantime this is a short term measure designed to improve the aesthetics of the front page."

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:25pm

Didn't know frogs lived underground. I keep digging them up in my backyard planting trees, etc. Luckily haven't sliced any in half with the shovel yet.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:25pm

A couple of immediate replies to the above:

"It'll be interesting how the engagement goes. The Politico 'What's What?' thread for example has over 9000 comments!

Political interest and engagement or just interest in engagement?

I'm guessing the second. Taking it off the front page will provide an answer.

Watch out for 'engagement' though, simply transposed to the surfing stuff. Already happened.

"Be alert, not alarmed!"

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:26pm

"@thermalben ...and I'm so glad you did. I was about to cancel my subscription and leave Swellnet primarily because of that and in particular because of Blowin's continual playing the man under the guise of playing the ball."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:27pm

Not really sure of your point, Pupkin.

You'e cut and pasted a quote. But the reason?

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:32pm

And then there was this!

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/website-troubleshooting/467603

Some 'interesting stuff' in there!!!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:34pm

Is there?

Can you point to exactly which ones and why they're interesting? i.e make clear the point you're trying to express.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:35pm

From that thread, here's an COVID-19 iso game: Guess the regular!

"I don’t subscribe to Swellnet for the forecasts. Or the surfcams.

I subscribe to Swellnet because it’s the modern iteration of a surfing magazine , only you get to interact with the other surfers on the letters page.

Great editorial content . Good community. As a paying customer, forecast updates are way down on my list of priorities.

Maybe no one else who visits the site feels that way ? Makes no difference to me. I’m just letting you know how it affects my enjoyment of the site."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:36pm

"FWIW, one of the problems we have - and it's a good problem! - is that everyone values something different about Swellnet. You mainly like the editorial and community. Others only need the surfcams. Some people just require model forecasts. There's a bunch of surfers who like to cross reference our forecaster notes every so often. And so on.

Pleasing everyone is very hard. But we'll continue to try our best."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:36pm

"To be honest , you’ve endured a lot of shit from my end and there’s no need for you to be anything but straight up as you were in your first response. I enjoy the straight talk far more than the corpo speak I’d get virtually anywhere else.

I’m aware that your small crew would be flat out running the site and I’m not hassling for immediate action. Just letting you know what’s up in typically blunt fashion. Considering that I’m one of the major reasons that the politico forum was shunted to the backblocks I’m not really entitled to whinge too hard.

But sometimes I can’t help myself."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:37pm

"The real question is...

why would you remove them from the front page adding to your already lengthy 'to do' list?

seems rather silly and desperate to me

not really looking for an answer, take that as a comment (as tony jones says..)"

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:43pm

Actually, this last one is from the boss again:

"Why? Because they were pissing us off (and it took us about four and a half minutes to do so).

The Swellnet homepage is kinda like our shop front window. It's where we like to feature new articles, and allow easy access to popular content; the WOTD is a Swellnet institution. It's the one part of the site that gets more traffic than any other single webpage.

Instead, there was - in our opinion - way too much attention being drawn to a conveyer belt of repetitive, non-surf related commentary, some of which often contained language we didn't feel comfortable being showcased in this manner."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:41pm

Again...

Why are you cut and pasting comments?

What is the point you're trying to make?

Yes, there's been blow ups on the forums in the past, and yes they'll happen again, but your point is..?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:47pm

Chook....you said where I am and the ( recent ) effects of logging are far , far less than accomodating the population Ponzi. The logging around here is selective.

Whilst a large wet land in the middle of the town near here is being completely cleared and drained for more housing ....even though half the homes in town sit empty outside of school holidays.

The effects of the mass immigration Ponzi dwarf anything that the Adana mine will ever convey. The mass immigration Ponzi is the equivalent of 50000 Adani mines but it’s not cool to contemplate a future without an extra 4500 people moving to Australia EVERY SINGLE WEEK because....racism.

Morons drove from one end of Australia to protest Adani and they drove past thousands of square kilometres of recently paved Bush land in order to get there.

That’s why I am anti Mass immigration. The less intelligent and those with internationalist ideologies always attack this as driven by racism. It’s their favourite weapon ! But these same people have multiple passports....they aren’t solely committed to Australia as I am. At the slightest whimsy these people are liable to move to somewhere like Japan.

Sure logging and agriculture is responsible for a lot of habitat loss , but why do you feel that you should diminish the contribution of human population growth on the destruction of our environment ? Is it ideological ? Cause it’s not helpful to anyone except property developers and the neoliberalists/ globalists.

Surely we should be in agreement ?

That’s what I meant by not understanding your highlighting of logging. Around here logging is not responsible for that much habitat loss anymore. Most valleys are getting reforested at an amazing rate.

Blueberries pose a threat. But their area isn’t so huge yet and it’s mostly on semi- ruined ex-banana plantations.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:44pm

"plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:49pm

From the 1st page of this very thread:

"Hang on, I thought politics was off the front page?

Now we get this??

One peanut in particular forced anything political into the nether regions of this site, and now he's snivelling back like nothing happened.

And double-posting the same post so one can get on the front page??

I know attention-seeking disorder should be pitied somewhat...but really?

The front page needs to be bombarded by this kind of ill-informed guff again?

There's a plethora of threads elsewhere covering all things Trump. One post there suffices surely. Why do we need another one here on the front page?

What's next China? Immigration? Aboriginal Australians?

Make up your minds."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:50pm

"...politics was banished from the front page mainly due to the individual who is now desperately trying to sneak it back because...?

"I miss the discussions" ??

And under his terms?

"Without devolving into insult".

Laughable. From this individual who, through pure contrariness and insult, caused this situation.

But, but he's missed the discussions so much!

"Enough to have done something about it."

Born again! Hallejulah!

And as believable as Trump.

History will be the ultimate rebuttal for both of 'em, I wager. Sooner rather than later."

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:51pm

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 12:56pm

Stu, my concern is that you provide a forum for toxic bullshit and this has gone on for a long time, right back to some of the climate change threads which became a haven for climate deniers. What you have now is a place where people can post outright lies, fake news and crypto-racist crap. Now if you have some sort of libertarian commitment to free speech and fuck the consequences, well maybe just say so. If not you need to explain why you think it is a good idea to be a source of misinformation and prejudice.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:08pm

Cromwell, Do I recall that you were a school teacher once? Well, you’re not anymore. Why the operators of the site have to ‘explain’ anything to you is beyond me.

I don’t need disagree that the tone on some fora needs to be (self?) moderated, but you give as good as you get on most occasions.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:10pm

...or there's the politico dungeon for 'interesting stuff'?!

Then we're back to "interest in political engagement or just interest in engagement"?

Front page aesthetics ruined.

Again.

2GB or not 2GB?

Hmmm, seems like one unifying factor in this ongoing 24/7 soap opera.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:17pm

"you provide a forum for toxic bullshit"

Cromwell, you say some shit re: that Australia needs to sell out to China for the sake of money, you get called on it and then you have the mother of all hold-your-breath-till-you-shit-your-pants tanties.

The toxic bullshit is yours, recognise it, deal with it and stop looking for mum to step in.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:21pm

@Cromwell

I honestly think you have to take some responsibility, you and Blowin are just going back into your old back and forth patterns, it gets old pretty quick i generally just skim over it. (especially with Facto trying to get his cheap shots in)

IMHO both of you just need to agree to disagree sometimes, Blowin only goes on and on about things because you keep adding fuel to the fire..

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:22pm

"So you say some shit re: that Australia needs to sell out to China,"

Post what I actually said. But no, why not just throw up some wild allegation with no support and complainn when I decide to serve it back to you. Where did you go last night mate? Got a bit hot in the kitchen for you did it? You never did answer as to what you actually meant when you accused me of taking money, shit even Blowin decided to wind that one back and he's your big dog. Maybe you should do the same, Woofles.

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:23pm

Indo the difference is between truth and lies. Look back and see who states the facts and who makes stuff up.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:35pm

"So you are all happy to see unemployment rise in tourism, education, hospitality, mining etc etc for what?"

If that doesn't say "bend over and take it", I don't know what does.

Yeah I follow Blowin - except for the 90% of the time when I don't because I either disagree with him and/or he's laying it on way too thick.
Not to mention all those times I've had blow-ups with him, you goose.

You were manic last night, I was genuinely worried for your mental health.
I was even more worried for your dog and your wife.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:36pm

Andy....never forget that Blindboy’s ultimate goal is to deplatform any dissent to his opinion.

I’m ignoring him for a while.

He wants you to get shouty so that he’s got an excuse to whine to Ben again. Failing that he figures that if he gets shouty enough himself then the same result will follow.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:37pm

I thought we hated bullies in Australia ?

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:39pm

Just to be clear I have no offline communication with either Stu or Ben.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:40pm

Guys, guys, guys. I’m pretty good at reading between the lines, and it’s obvious this is all stemming from wanting to have a turn at being Judge Judy. Well, I’m not stupid and I won’t be swayed that easily, so give it up

I’m giving it to IndoDreaming this week.
No bull

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:43pm

Gonna repost this..

From a mate in Caba, what type is this..

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:44pm

Cromwell would've been a thug of a teacher, an absolute cunt.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:49pm

Couple of things, BB:

I've got no interest in hosting an echo chamber forum that only confirms my own beliefs - beliefs which may be incorrect. I don't mind having them tested.

Even if I don't agree with people, I want to hear different points of view. I want to understand how people are thinking and how they arrived at their conclusions. If Trump has taught us anything, it's that ignoring and/or marginalising large swathes of society will only backfire and lead to greater pain.

I despair at people I consider ideological travelling partners who, despite everything that's happened in the last five years, still try to silence viewpoints or pretend they don't exist. That for me just confirms the Left still has some way to go till they recognise what has happened; how the ground has shifted and the Right has come to own the cultural moment. It means I'm destined to be on the losing side of politics for many years, but c'est la vie.

Nor do I want to host a hornet's nest of extreme politics, which you seem to suggest is the case. In that I'd flatly call you wrong. 

As some have said above, you have to take some repsonsibilty for the toxic nature of debate here. I know you won't acknowledge that, you'll deny it, but I'm typing it anyway because that's the way I see it.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 1 May 2020 at 1:57pm

Another fine 'spared no expense' photoshop there shorey....you're about one level up from my expertise...but we get the picture, which is the main thing.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:16pm

the ornate burrowing frog.

check it out, I've dug up a few recently when planting trees, beautiful patterns on the inner and under legs

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:23pm

looks like a green tree frog to me Craig

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:42pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:45pm

C'mon I'm trying to smoke peace pipes.

Can we cut that shit out?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 1 May 2020 at 2:58pm

Fair enough. Just having a few giggles.

Ive been thinking hard about reaching a lasting compromise with my ideological opponents on the site. Been thrashing it out for hours , I have.

Figured that the best way I could express my intention to consent to disagreeable opinions on here would be through the fundamental language of graphs. So here goes ....

Here’s a little graph to establish the veracity of fake left opinions and anecdotes ::

PS ....got to thank Swellnet . It’s basically generated a need to learn basic computer skills so that I can post cringe worthy memes . I’m a big boy now !

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:24pm

It's degraded to a meme war then has it?
Well, in that case: swellnet forums today:

TEMP

(No judgement on anyone's posts intended, just observation. Though I do feel sorry for Craig and his frog).

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:30pm

Funny.Now something else I found that's funny is last night skipping through youtube after the grom's have gone to bed.Random feeds that pop up that I ignore most of the time I clicked.Gravitas it had a press conference by Mike Pompeo from a few day's ago now the funny thing is I had a pure sense of deja vu while watching"Ive heard this before"Well I had read it before it turn's out.I will now call you from here on in Pompeo's mouthpiece no more Blowin.Good outcome though came across an old O"neil vid the one when Herring was on the Webber banana kick.First song was this gem

Cromwell's picture
Cromwell's picture
Cromwell Friday, 1 May 2020 at 3:56pm

Absolutely Blowin. If your views become mainstream, I’m outta here. Buy a little place in Miyazaki, relax knowing my wife won’t cop shit on the street, enjoy the food and the impeccable manners and with my very limited Japanese, the bullshit will fly right over my head. What’s not to like?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 May 2020 at 4:12pm

Oh man, live here for awhile and see how frustrating it can be knowing that you have absolutely no voice.

But the good outweighs the bad, just like home.