Chat forum trolling on swellnet

Clam's picture
Clam started the topic in Tuesday, 18 Jul 2017 at 4:39pm

BAITING, TROLLING, INCITING CONFLICT

“Trolling” or making posts with the intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. This includes registering an alternative ID for the sole purpose of creating problems on the forums.

A member who visits a forum only to incite "conflict" will be designated a "troll", and find his/her account temporarily or permanently suspended.

XX maintains zero tolerance for members who create posts intended to antagonize other members.

XX also reserves the right to require that a minimum number of posts, term of membership, or other criteria be met to allow posting on certain topics."

From another popular forum .

gold's picture
gold's picture
gold Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 12:17pm

Stu,
I honestly don't understand that post directed at me.
I'm not as educated as you lot.
Your calling me biased, for calling out the bias.

"Now leave the grown men to bicker and do some work."
Just say it plainly, should I not comment here anymore.
Are you going to ban me.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 12:25pm

@Blue Diamond.

"Im tuning out from here..i know what comes next..."

With due respect, but if you think someone would be banned for posting your above comments - even the mere thought about being censored - then you either haven't been paying attention here or you've missed what it is we're acting upon.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 12:26pm

No Gold, I'm not banning you.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 12:27pm

another day... same (largely) positive outlook.. about stuff,...people... geez it must suck having such a miserable outlook...

sorry to cut you out on credit due hiccups, but the question(s) still stands, for anyone who's interested...

though Im more interested, in the gta versus a strawhat one

some very odd messed up priorities going on there...

not to mention the hypocrisy...

again...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 12:38pm

adam12 - “ Moderating this site would do my head in.”

Hahaha that’s a severe understatement

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 1:14pm

Okay Gold if you are not Blindboy then fine i won't accuse you of being BB again.

But surely if you have been following these forums for years you would understand why i might think that as he does have a habit of suddenly appearing with a new profile name at times like these to dis Blowin, and others also have used multiple profiles so like it or not any new name that pops up you have to always question thinking is this such an such with another profile.

And yeah it does suck having to think that way, and i get it that it would suck being a newbie being accused of being someone else.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 1:42pm

I see the use of memes as a perfectly reasonable response to years of blind obstinance on the part of some. What is left to use after all when to engage in reasonable debate has been proven over years to be completely futile?

Praise the gatekeepers for they shall get the deepest barrels

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 1:55pm

hi guy smiley, but in a way you have answered your own question. you see debate as "futile", because you have been unable to change peoples minds. this is a constant theme of yours, "beating my head against a brick wall for years"you have also said. you don't seem to really countenance the possibility of listening/even learning? from others. a "debate" in your mind is a chance for you to tell people what to think and for them to agree.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 2:07pm

Stu’s political views appear much closer to the banned two rather than the “protected species” from my observations.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm

Gday LL, diversity of opinion is good and is not what I’m talking about.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 2:24pm

100% loungelizard

Totally nailed it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 2:50pm

too much 'wrongthink' for a certain band of posters it seems...

couldn' t it just be... possibly... just putting it out there... that they're selling a shit product?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 2:52pm

ok, 'shit product' is a little harsh...

how about irrelevant toss?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm

Hey big fella when are off to SA to sort Herc out like you threaten the other night? Interesting you haven’t been sanctioned for that seeing it’s against the law or is all forgiven seeing you deleted your threat? Stu, how did the obstinate twerp escape a good sin binning?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 3:03pm

"Praise the gatekeepers for they shall get the deepest barrels"

Based on the available evidence, there is only one gatekeeper and he has spoken. It would also appear that said gatekeeper isn't shy when it comes to scoring deep barrels.

Is what it is...

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm

A shit product would be something like a hat with corks dangling from it

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm

Wow...the legs on this one. Fascinating stuff.

Imo, fairly simple fix to all of this but I dare say it wouldn't wash with the majority of crew on here. Remove online anonymity. You will soon see that people's online behavior immediately begins to more accurately reflect their offline behavior. Sure, there will still be abusive behaviour, harrassment and toxicity to some extent as is reality, but nowhere near the levels felt by people who say they've been copping for years it seems.

After all, the internet is largely a failed unregulated state, prone to these sorts of social breakdowns regularly. A place where people hide behind avatars and disregard any need to acknowledge or take any personal responsibility for their piss poor behavior or toxic abuse. Other than forcing known members to use their own identity upon signup, the only other option is to remove the bad eggs from the forum entirely. Which in this case, appears to be the only viable option. Pervasive forum moderation and censorship comes at a high cost and not sustainable one bit.

My $0.02.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 3:44pm

"A shit product would be something like a hat with corks dangling from it"

Im glad we can agree on something...

tho it was quite innovative, resourceful, and fit for purpose

a stereotypical relic symbolic of a time and lifestyle many would want to put behind us...

a bit like...

oh don't worry

but, the irony...

again...

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 4:25pm

Nah Stu...not what I meant sorry. Meant tuning out from the next meaningless thousand word spiel about nothing from the one and only.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 4:34pm

You do realise the cork hat was a myth. Shambolic not symbolic.Tie me a kangaroo down sport.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 4:43pm

I reserve the right NOT to be offended.
The SN forums are actually pretty good compared to the rest of the social media shitshow. Obviously there are a few antagonists , and yes some threads get hijacked by some overly passionate 'contributers' .., But as mentioned by many of you , most profiles are still capable of contributing something profound and meaningful when they apply themselves. You just might have to scroll through a shitload of BS to get to it.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 4:58pm

totally agree TS

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 4:59pm

@tubeshooter, I agree, from what Ive read, i reckon swellnet and realsurf are the better forums going when it comes to reasonable discourse over anything else on social media; surfing related or otherwise. I spend fuck all time going through either of em' apart from a couple threads from both sites, so I dont really have much skin in the game but i reckon its tame compared to the other shit out there...

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:02pm

Pretty obvious why most don't use their own names - imagine the sly, nasty and harmful attacks those who disagree with you could mount. We'd all need bodyguards to ward off the nut jobs intent on killing-off the other side.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:19pm

@D-rex, haha I highly doubt you'd need body guards, all bark no bite. But yeah, there are obvious benefits of going incognito, no arguments there. I was just highlighting the fact there are clear reasons why people behave the way they do online. But I dont reckon these or any other special interest forums should require crew to ID themselves on sign up. It should always be the users choice.

FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:28pm

Hello all. Long time on the sidelines, but recent events have got me here. Ben Harding has a good idea but there are dangers as drex says. If you have nothing to hide there is nothing to fear. Maybe less personal information given. This isnt facebook.
Maybe no politics. Were surfers not politicians. When china takes over we will all wish we could be arguing about this kind of crap.
Get real.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:57pm

"though often maligned (typically by those frustrated by an inability to engage in ad hominem attacks) anonymous speech has a long and storied history in the united states. used by the likes of mark twain (aka samuel langhorne clemens) to criticize common ignorance, and perhaps most famously by alexander hamilton, james madison and john jay (aka publius) to write the federalist papers, we think ourselves in good company in using one or another nom de plume. particularly in light of an emerging trend against vocalizing public dissent in the united states, we believe in the critical importance of anonymity and its role in dissident speech. like the economist magazine, we also believe that keeping authorship anonymous moves the focus of discussion to the content of speech and away from the speaker- as it should be. we believe not only that you should be comfortable with anonymous speech in such an environment, but that you should be suspicious of any speech that isn't."

That one's from the ZH Manifesto.

Vale Facto, I did enjoy our discussion on the Spanish Civil War and his showing me that there was a form of anarchism/collectivism that really did work for a time. It was great seeing him bring ideas to the debates, some of the economic links to Kohler at the New Daily were good reads, as well.

Agree TS as well. If Swellnet can continue while the rest of social media melts into goo, all the better for these forums.

I tried to find a link to Ghost in the Shell/Stand Alone Complex's absolutely excellent 'Virtual Chat Room' scenes, but they've been taken off youtube. It's a very visual way of how these kind of forums are. Worth having a look at. It's not just the number of us debating back and forth, but also the lurkers in the back seats, and those in charge of the forums.

Now, for the game of pseudonym whack-a-mole, bags me 'Max Power' for next time around.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm

Find me a single post from the last fortnight by either of the two absentee gronks which wasn’t at least 90 percent irrelevant insult and character assassination. Cant include the tiny few posts which were a link and a hash tag.

The tiny cheer squad now boo hooing cause their favourite gronks weren’t smart enough to figure out that posting nothing but slander and then insulting the crew that work at Swellnet has zero future. I mean FFS....when BrokeBlax started attacking Stu and threatening to “see you on the track cock head Nuttle” what did you really think was going to come of it? That’s work place harassment, bullying and being an ultra flog all rolled into one.

The person on Swellnet who gives me the most curry for any of my opinions that they find disagreeable is Stunet. He actually tries to pin me down by refuting my point of view and arguing from a rational stand point.
Most other people just call me silly names and cry cause they don’t like my opinion. The weakest resort to calling me toxic when they can’t raise an opposing argument without revealing that they want their subjective stance given primacy. Fck that and fck them.

I’m totally against censorship of thought on the internet- and I’ve had a debate with Stu on this very topic- but these clowns aren’t gone because of any opinion it’s cause they’re serial pests who are here for one reason and that’s to ruin the site for others. I’ve had to change names to get away from their infatuous pursuit. I’m glad they’re gone.

Ive had many posts deleted and I’ve been blocked. I don’t care if they’re here I’m just sick of dealing with their relentless shit. I didn’t ask for them to be banned either . Sure is nice to be able to contribute something without some bitchy clown following me like a lost puppy though.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:36pm

@FrankBrownew88, just to be clear, I'm not advocating for the removal of anonymity, I was just highlighting a remedy and rationale for the issue, which is genuinely distressing for the people involved.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:43pm

#blokesworld #bornagaineshay #wheresmycorkhate #blowitoutyourass

FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:44pm

I hear you blowin. Actually how and why your still here?

That poems thread doesnt count. Whats it go to do with surfing? It needed blowin to show it up as faggy wank.
Were surfers not greeny hippy commy fags.
Keep it real.
And I bet from now on real proper stuff will flow.
Fuck politics.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:52pm

Poems thread was in retaliation for the missing two’s constant dung talk and insult at the time. I’m no angel but the rate for initiating shit runs at about 80/20 in their favour. If you don’t like that truth or you know them in the flesh or you don’t like me .....I do not care.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:50pm

Ok then, I'll start.
My real name is Spencer Chundercock.
I'm a 59 year old retired nightclub podium dancer.
I'm a natural foot. Single but still looking.
I don't vote but I like Labor more than Liberal.
My pubes have turned grey, but I dye them so I look younger.
I have a dog called Jessie and a cat with no name.
I am an athiest. I like Japanese food.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:53pm

Magic touch by L’Oreal will get that bush black as the inside of a brown dog.

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 5:57pm

My full name is Snuffred Smith Iam a recovering addict I was a high end pigeon trainer I like surfing but don't/can't surf I think corked hates are funny.

FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88's picture
FrankBrowne88 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 6:00pm

Im on your side blowin. The whole poems thread is ridclous. Shit music thread is bad enough.
No politics. Easy.
China is going to rule us all anyway. Labor will see to it. Or liberals.So get in the sea and get a wave before were all crowded out by them.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 6:01pm

Recommend you change the name adam12, that one is excellent

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 6:07pm

Blowin writes "Find me a single post from the last fortnight by either .............................................................. nice to be able to contribute something without some bitchy clown following me like a lost puppy though."........

I'm just glad you can let it out and share your pain. We're here for u blowin, and your opinion matters greatly. You're changing the world one post at a time

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 6:36pm

Thanks Sheepy. When I’m discussing the cartographical boundaries of surf zones and querying the type of boards other contributors would ride in slop, I’m always cognisant of how the UN, NATO, ASEAN and the International Monetary Fund will take the information on board.

Glad you’ve got my back, mate.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 30 Mar 2021 at 1:29am

nice quote velocityjohnno, I was going to requote it and say how wise and relevant those words are, as I thought they were part of your little history lesson, but then I realised you had moved onto newer material

...and knowing how much that newer material is on the nose round here, I thought better of it...

but nah, fuck it, thems some wise profound words...

"...we believe in the critical importance of anonymity and its role in dissident speech. like the economist magazine, we also believe that keeping authorship anonymous moves the focus of discussion to the content of speech and away from the speaker- as it should be. we believe not only that you should be comfortable with anonymous speech in such an environment, but that you should be suspicious of any speech that isn't.""

from what I can see, there's never been a more important time for dissident speach!

go ya hardest haters

"...Vale Facto, I did enjoy our discussion on the Spanish Civil War and his showing me that there was a form of anarchism/collectivism that really did work for a time. It was great seeing him bring ideas to the debates, some of the economic links to Kohler at the New Daily were good reads, as well."

agree also, he brought a good ...errr perspective and links, but why the need for such hostility?

constantly...

surely he'd be more... ummm ...'productive' ...if he could engage in civil conversation, but he can't because the 'facts' and his 'reality' are actually rather loose on the ground... a bit like a you know what...

"...Most other people just call me silly names and cry cause they don’t like my opinion. The weakest resort to calling me toxic when they can’t raise an opposing argument without revealing that they want their subjective stance given primacy. Fck that and fck them."

exactly!

fwiw, I like both of them, and think they both had a lot to contribute, if they could just tone down the sermons, and tone up the 'tolerance' a bit, which is kind of... you know...

"... mean FFS....when BrokeBlax started attacking Stu and threatening to “see you on the track cock head Nuttle” what did you really think was going to come of it? That’s work place harassment, bullying and being an ultra flog all rolled into one."

this was truly bizarre, and dare I say, showing more than just a hint of 'toxic masculinty'...

they both do, regularly, which is to say the least, somewhat ironic...

again...

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:15pm

surely he'd be more... ummm ...'productive' ...if he could engage in civil conversation, but he can't because the 'facts' and 'reality' are actually rather loose on the ground... a bit like a you know what

Because the have been silenced and Indo Sippie and Blow in sticking the boots in fully knowing you never going to get a response is really a true sign of what type of "Blokes" we are dealing with.Weak as piss.Final note I think Sheepy was being sarcastic?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:29pm

What's wrong with poems?

Too uncool?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm

silenced?

how many years?

how many profiles?

...they'll be back...

(that's if you're already not here... ohhhhh spooky twilight zone shit...)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:39pm

and fwiw, Im hardly 'sticking the boot in'...

but carry on...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 7:41pm

I've never seen any trolls on swellnet. If u wanna see trolls, join MEWE. That app is savage af

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm

Facto hasn't gone anywhere.

He's still here.

Snuffy Smith is just another of his many, many personalities and usernames.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 8:11pm

"What's wrong with poems?

Too uncool?"

Hehheh Zen, have a listen to Lord Flashheart's take on war poetry... watch it before the political officers take this wrongthink away! (We still use "I appear to have splintered my pancreas," within the wider family as a line to skive out of having to do something lol)

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 8:24pm

Lord Flashheart, brilliant VJ

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Monday, 29 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm

She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
— To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.
— Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17–28)