What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 1:29pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 1:32pm

“rolled my ankle while taking evasive action to avoid an out of control fat kid at an over-patronised indoor trampoline centre. “

That’s both the funniest and most horrendous thing I’ve ever heard.

That’s why I always try to make sure that I’m the fat kid in any situation.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 1:35pm

In voice of soup nazi :

No tubes for you !!!!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm

Blowin, I spoke too soon!

"The narrative that the class war was over..."

Who was writing it? And who was swallowing it?

"They ditched their fundamental ideology..."

Which is? I'd like your take.

"They represented SOMEONE and they abandoned them. The unions knew what was going on , therefore the labor party knew what was going on . They chose to ignore the sparks that were precedeeding the wildfire that were being ignited in the next IR battle ground because there wasn’t votes in it and that’s how we’ve found ourselves in the position we’re in : Dropping standards of living , ever worsening wages/ conditions, gig economy, permanent casual eating at social fabric , exploited, underpaid and oppressed labour force ."

Where do you start to unpack that??

Maybe a time-frame would help. Can you supply one? Where does the later work-choices backlash for example fit in? How does it fit into your narrative? Please explain?

"Yes , a lot of it had to to with political expediency."

Now you're poking towards something. Think about our historical cultural and economic partners, the UK and US. Post-Thatcher and post-Reagan. And the wrong-way 'third way' (which the 'success' of the Hawke/Keating years helped to foment in the US and UK...but which there was no excuse for here in Australia during the Howard reign). Blair and Clinton.

Rudd, the 'Sunrise Kid' and 'fiscal conservative'?? Good riddance. Messy but necessary.

Now, things are afoot in the US and the UK. Sanders and Corbyn. Trump and Brexit are the End of Days (to borrow an expression)...as directed by Michael Bay... a side-shit-show.

Oz? Stay tuned?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm

100+ pages and now 5000+ comments...on all things political, public and personal, on a surfing web-site!

There's an appetite out there for sure.

Maybe Leary - Timothy, not Paul...well, Paul too! - was onto something:

"Surfers are the ‘throw-aheads’ of mankind, not the dregs; they aren’t the black sheep of humanity, but the futurists and they are leading the way to where man ultimately wants to be. The act of the ride is the epitome of ‘be here now’, and the tube ride is the most acute form of that. Which is: your future is right ahead of you, the past is exploding behind you, your wake is disappearing, your footprints are washed from the sand. It’s a non-productive, non-depletive act that’s done purely for the value of the dance itself. And that is the destiny of man."

Hmmm, yeah, nah, it's Paul and the good ol' boys for mine...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 3:09pm

"...That policy agenda includes reducing middle class welfare, increased education and health spending and labour market reforms ..."

Sounds ok, but, good luck stripping back that middle class welfare. My friends that made it out if the ghetto are very attached to that, very very attached to that, and they're still voting labor funnily enough.

"...increased education and health spending ..."

I think labor need to realise its not just about more money. The 'building an education revolution' proved that. Lots of cash, some dodgy buildings, and no revolution whatsoever.

People are concerned about the culture around schools. The namby pamby system, the rearimg of a generation of pussies ill equipped for the real world, if I may be so crass.

And sadly, I hate to inform, that's coming from an overzealous system that's been, and being, informed, infiltrated, and overrun by a generation of.. . er.....well...how can I put this nicely... a generation or two in fact - of identity politics influenced and obsessed do gooders...with little fucking idea of the real world.

Sorry I went there again.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 3:23pm

...stunet, you should have taken out the fat kid, it can be most satisfying. Especially if they're one of those fat kids who thinks fat is big, and big is strong.

Those little tubsters require some sorting out....

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 3:32pm

Guy Smiley, "aspirational Australian"! You mean "Howard's battler" ie the under-educated and over-mortgaged?

Anyone been watching 'Back In Very Small Business'? I don't know why I thought of that...

Anyway, let me hazard a guess, Sypkan, you have little to do with today's school-age youngsters ?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 3:57pm

If only you knew turkeyman. If only you knew.

I could tell you, but that'd just give crypto more misguided ammunition.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 5:38pm

@factotum, mighty fine work this arvo quoting the acid guru and therefore referencing Kidman's Glass Love where Leary is quoted while Optus plays in the background. Was only thinking of Timothy Leary the other day and that very quote as recently I've rediscovered George Harrison's music and articles about that period when the Beatles were on acid.

Yeah, Howard's "battler" got quite a run in the day, flannie wearing cashed up landlords, it would be "unAustralian" (another Howard-ism) to be any other way. Oi.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 5:27pm

@sypkan, got no idea where your head's at man, on here ripping strips off Labor for selling out the workers all full commie like and how the media manipulates the walking brain but your last post WTF is going on there? Your comments about schools is especially ill-informed and aligned with the clap trap that comes out of the IPA and LNP's Department of Cultural Wars established in the mid 80's by the Howard the unflushable turd.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 5:48pm

I wish people wouldn't change their user names all the time, i did think Factotum was Talking Turkey or Shanter or.....

Funny how you can tell people by their writing styles and what they say and how they say it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 6:24pm

Well I was joking guysmiley...and channeling a little too much trump. I really shouldn't mix it up like that.

The culture wars is such a funny concept.

Tell me guysmiley, who do you think is winning at the moment, in terms of curriculum and education?

And, who has had the most influence over the last 30 years or so?

From a 'culture wars' perspective.

There is no right answer. I'd just like to know how ill informed I am.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 6:57pm

'My friends that made it out if the ghetto'

That says it all. What about lil' andy's 'stuck' cunts that aren't getting out? And who took the place of the escapees?

What a system, that the dream is to escape it. And the truth is, not enough room in the tunnel out of the engine room. Give the 'stuck' cunts a shot at the lottery, a one in a million shot 'out of sykply's ghetto'.

'Where the fuck have you been you lazy 'stuck cunt' I've been waiting all morning for that discount dental equipment!!!'

'Fuck sorry man, had meeting about pay cuts, then traffic... hey couldn't help us could ya, I'm in agony me tooth's fucked...'

'Sure thing 'stuck' cunt, but its a $100 bucks up front to have a look... and then probably another couple... at least...'

'Faaarkk... I only get $20 after all the deductions... and shit, I got no power, the electrician wants $80 just to park in the driveway... maybe a grand all up...'

'Well... I haven't got all day 'stuck' cunt... what's it gonna be...'

'Oye... 'stuck' cunt, where the fuck are you, you lazy 'stuck' cunt, you're supposed to have that fucking discount camera down at dribbleton by now...'

'I'm on the way, I'm in agony me tooth's fucked...'

'Take a fuckin' panadol and move it 'stuck' cunt...'

'Oye you fuckin' 'stuck' cunt, they seen ya fuckin' van parked in front of the fucking chemist... I'm docking ya 'stuck' cunt!!!'

'Big fucking deal ya 'stuck' cunt... that's what ya fuckin' lunch break is for... try a fuckin' stunt like that again...'

Its advanced... dog eat dog... with a difference but aye mmmaaayyyte!!! In a nutshell!!

We lurv's ya amesy... and we lurvs you too ya 'stuck' cunts, now get back to work so's ya can get out of the 'ghetto'...

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 7:00pm

In the spirit of the moment and with reference to a current theme on this thread, I'd like to add a timely musical interlude from a friend of a friend's band that you've never heard of.
"...Tim Leary, LSD!"

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 12 Oct 2018 at 7:34pm

A strange connection between my Leary (Paul...guitar freak from the Butthole Surfers) and Timothy.

Actually, the connection is pretty tenuous.

Here's the time Al Jourgensen (of Ministry), and Gibby Haynes (lead freak of the Butthole Surfers) and Timothy shared a house together!

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/al_jourgensen_and_gibby_haynes_were_...

Al's take:

"In addition to taking me in, Tim let Gibby Haynes stay at his house for a while. Tim encouraged us to take whatever drugs we wanted—he was the guru of LSD, after all. But as an academic and a researcher, he wanted to see what effects different hallucinogens had when they were coupled with different substances—coke, heroin, Nyquil, Hungry Man dinners. He would get all this hallucinogenic shit mailed to him from all these companies and universities and then test it on us every couple weeks. Actually, it was mostly on me. He kicked Gibby out of the house after he peed in the drawer of an antique desk in Tim’s office when he was off his head. So Gibby went and I stayed.

Tim would get me to shoot up all these laboratory drugs that were based out of MDA—ecstasy and Ayahuasca, an Amazonian concoction made from shrubs, leaves, and Virola, a South American drug that you grind into a powder and cook down. Tim had me shooting up all this shit. He would be all excited and say, “Hey, I got a new package.” And I would groan, “Okay, fuck. Let’s do it.” I would shoot it up, and he would scribble down notes on how the drugs affected me. I don’t know what he was writing because to me the hallucinations were always the same."

Gibby's recollections (in an interview):

"When [Al] hooked me up with Tim Leary a lot of weird situations happened. We got kicked out of a Johnny Cash concert at the Viper Room because Tim was heckling Johnny Cash. The killer one was waking up in Tim’s study and seeing him feverishly typing three feet away from me. I was so hungover that I had pissed in his kitchen. He was nervously typing, like I shouldn’t have been in the room, and I discovered my dick was hanging out of my pants and was warm and moist.

Errr, what caused that?

Who knows? I guess when you sleep in Tim Leary’s study your dick comes out of your pants and gets warm and moist.

Maybe you pissed yourself?

I definitely pissed in his kitchen. Oh, and I let his blind dog shit in his living room. In the middle of the summer the sliding-glass doors to his house were open. I shut them in the middle of the night. I didn’t know you were supposed to leave them open because of his blind dog: It was the only way he could go outside to poop in the middle of the night. Not only did I urinate in his kitchen but I let a dog shit in his living room. I was not the consummate house-guest.

Is that why Tim kicked you out of his house?

The urine thing wasn’t really my fault. I was like, “Dude, your entire kitchen is white. That screams toilet to me.” There were probably three times I got so drunk in the middle of the night I got up and randomly urinated. It usually involved the color white. I peed on a couple one time, in their bed in the middle of the night. Their room was white."

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 13 Oct 2018 at 5:34am

factotum, I paid my respects to the great man while I was at Anfield and sang my heart out.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Saturday, 13 Oct 2018 at 11:03am

You obviously took the wrong turnoff on your way to Findhorn blinded!!! Again...

https://www.findhorn.org

And, how are you finding the gyms!!! Doing the swillnuts proud I hope!!! On the local scene... so to speak... stup’es ‘radical’ - ness has suffered a blow, he’s done an ankle... ankle bone attaches to the neck bone saga kinda thingy thing... again... but with a difference but... pain level 18 out of 10... so you’ll have to wait for that ‘rad’ event with a difference but... we lurv ya amesy!!!!

Say hello to ‘em at Findhorn for me blinded!!! In a nutshell!!!?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 14 Oct 2018 at 2:21pm

Supreme Commander and Protector-in-General Dutton arranges urgent visas for latest boat arrivals stating these are exceptional circumstances and besides French au pairs are always welcome in this country.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Sunday, 14 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm

guy smiley takes the award for best post ever.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 14 Oct 2018 at 5:24pm

Perhaps Guy it was a diplomatic gift from the French government to help aid the $50 billion submarine building project in Australia?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 12:11pm

“It’s no good in complaining about the world’s environmental problems if you vote for the people that want to put their foot on the accelerator of a growth economy.”

Former Greens leader referring to rampant immigration.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 12:14pm

“It’s no good in complaining about the world’s environmental problems if you vote for the people that want to put their foot on the accelerator of a growth economy.”

“Well I think Dick Smith has his alarm bells going on this… It’s really tied up with growth economics and the future of our society. We need prosperity, but can we continue to consume more out of a finite planet? And the answer ultimately is no, we can’t. So how are we going to make this transfer?”…

“It’s the immigration policy that is actually leading to the fairly rapid growth in Australia’s population. And ultimately, that can mean a decline in living standards rather than an increase. And I tried very hard in parliament… to look at – because it is tied to growth economics “

Former Greens leader Bob Brown

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 2:01pm

And that is why I bag the greens.

The G word has become their N word.

Never to be mentioned...along with a heap of other no go zones.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:31pm

Just to be clear when de natalie came along, under a barrage of criticism, I thought he might be good for the greens. You know, add a bit of legitimacy and professionalism to make them a real force, to appeal to a wider audience.

However it appears the opposite has happened. Too many compromises and deals with the liberals has undermined their legitimacy. All this whilst they changed their focus to minority and refugee issues, forgetting all that made them a party in the first place.

As I said, they neo liberalised a little too much...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 2:04pm

Yes, but anyone can see that if we 'take our foot off the accelerator', hell even just coast at zero growth a while, then we'll head into recession. This is the way our economy is structured.

So what do we do? Anyone got plans to stave off a recession? Howsabout the blueprint for a new zero growth economy..?

Love to hear it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:27pm

I really think australia has become obsessed with this avoiding recession thing. They are kind of normal, natural even.

Anyway, if through the roof immigration is the only way australia can manage our economy then maybe we are just as dumb as the world portrays us to be....or at least our leaders are...which would reflect on us.

The zero growth, or steady state economy was getting real momentum about ten yeats ago. You know, back when climate change was in vogue, and people actually wanted to do shit. Now, not so much...barely a word...

....and barely a word from the greens either...then or now.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 3:34pm

@stu, I'm sure your question is rhetorical as you would already know the answer but I'll like to wager one way of growing the economy without the increasing the population is via an increase in productivity.

When was the last time we had federal politicians seriously talk about the importance of increasing it? I think you would have to go back to Hawke/Keating and their compacts with unions and business along with real emphasis on vocational education and training and targeted business investment in new technology and capital.

Of course Howard opened the flood gates on immigration, slashed funding for universities and flogged of the TAFE sector to private enterprise who duly ripped off the tax payers to the tune of billions of $AUD.

But that is only part of the issue, increasing productivity is an economy wide pursuit requiring worker and capital to be clever, focused and determined to work together to improve and equally to share the reward ..... errr, how do you think that's going to work with the current (low) level of political debate? Its a long-term or generational thing, Hawke / Keating were making real gains bring all stakeholders together and in a wiff of smoke it was gone.

Its still possible, other countries manage this really well (e.g. Scandinavian countries) but it will require a level of (mature) political debate that's hardly feasible here. It is no accident that there are now two books about AU titled Lucky Country .... in the meantime lets blame the greens or Labor or those latte sipping namby-pambies from the inner suburbs.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:35pm

Well, one could argue if the left concentrated on workers, services, equality, and economy for the last 30 years rather than facilitating the selling off of the means to do all of the above through their 'third way' way neoliberalism bullshit we'd be in a much better position.

I'd argue that anyway...

"A generation lost to identity politics" John Pilger.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:38pm

And, re. recession. There's not much point selling off our children's futures in real estate and government assetts to the highest bidder to maintain some mythical 'just right' growth figure if that 'just right' growth figure is making people’s lives miserable.

Kinda defeats the purpose.

And perhaps more importantly, it just in debts our children in the process rather than setting them up for the future. I believe that's called injustice social justice warriors.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 6:42pm

Stu - The recession is coming regardless and it’ll be ten times worse now than what it would’ve been if the powers that be hadn’t allowed the rent seekers to run the Ponzi scheme for as long as they have.

Guy - You we’re going so well till your last sentence. Virtually all sides of politics deserve the blame on this one. If your sweet favourites happen to be amongst them then take it on the chin.

At least you expect to be cast to the wolves by the LNP. When the others do it it’s painful.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 6:02pm

Gentle level immigration is always a good thing; but it doesn't look like the major parties have any intention of giving succour to this obvious line of common sense; that's now why many, where they can, move to regional areas to shore up slower paced, old world quality of life, redolent of that of earlier generations of Australians. The reality is that even those regions will well and truly choke by mid century based on current federal policy and ecological ignorance. Where next, into the great deserts???

But once again, I'd implore fellow Swellnetters to read PROSPERITY WITHOUT GROWTH . . . Economics for a Finite Planet by Tim Jackson - Economics Commissioner on Sustainable Development (UK). Jackson puts together strong and cogent arguments for living well at lower growth and considering different perspectives on the visions for prosperity. His obvious interest in exploring the possibilities of low carbon technologies and ecological macro economics is palpable though the work is not hard-line dogma. He writes:

"Equally it's clear that changing the social logic of consumption cannot simply be relegated to the realm of individual choice. In spite of a growing desire for change, it's almost impossible for people to simply 'choose' sustainable lifestyles, however much they'd like to. Even highly motivated individuals experience conflict as they attempt to escape consumerism. And the chances of extending this behaviour across society are negligible without changes in the social structure."

We need to live within the ecological limits of a finite planet - fear of recession and contrived economic growth is a state sanctioned fetishisation forged to enshrine bipartisan "no change" - really gutless and spurious politics)that is selling out our children's future and those further along the time continuum. Realistic immigration levels into a highly drought prone largely desert nation, MUST be part of the mix.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm

Where the fuck is all the freesurf footage of Gabs Medina?

Internet is full of contest shit , but fuck all of him destroying the bag and documented with some epic filmmaking.

Sort your shit out , Gabby.

You’re the best in the world , allow me to salivate over your mindless water slaughter.

Please.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:39pm

Spuddy, there is some good news out there.
Make sure you watch the vid.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-14/dirk-hartog-island-being-sent-400-...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm

".... The recession is coming regardless and it’ll be ten times worse now than what it would’ve been if the powers that be hadn’t allowed the rent seekers to run the Ponzi scheme for as long as they have."

This has gone on for so long it's getting a little scary now.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:58pm

Andy - I heard a bit of scuttlebutt - from a very credible source - regarding a certain international petroleum corporation who is pushing for this regrading of the island’s status listing and throwing a few dollars at it so that they get a bit of leeway with expansion plans for another island that they are currently flogging .

Either way it’s worth a try , I’ve never seen a place so devoid of life anywhere , ever as Hartog.

Except for the sea life which is crazy. Sharkiest place around.

It’s great to see the ecosystem of somewhere on our planet improving. It’s just a shame that it’s at the expense of somewhere that is being jeopardised by the same partial benefactor.

PS Good thoughts , Spuddy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 8:18pm

After some time on Google Earth, makes me want to pack the fourby, hitch up the boat and head off...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 8:26pm

And part with your life savings to take fourby and tinnie out there
fuckin expensive 15 mins of travel...!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 8:56pm

" Point is Facto , that both sides have wet dreams about a 100 million population in Australia. Shorten has openly and vigorously declared he is all about a big Australia, whilst the LNP are at the behest of their business masters that also demand a big Australia.

So what Bill is saying is that both the majors are keen and the rest of us can go and get fucked. In fact , they’re so keen that they want a formal declaration of truce on the subject so that neither of them can ambush the other with an anti- high immigration policy . As they know such a policy will lead to a virtually uncontested victory.

See how the democratic process has been smothered ? Both parties reach a consensus therefore declaring that Australians don’t get to take their opinions to the ballot box." blowin.

I find it quite sad and scary that the major parties can actually do this.

Sad that they would circumvent public will in these tumultuous times. An arrogance so extreme it's either stupid or dangerous.

And scary that they have found the will for cooperation on this one single issue, whilst being unable to agree on anything at all for the last ten years.

Reeks of something. And it ain't democracy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 8:43pm

I reckon it'd be a really nice part of a Big Lap, wouldn't you say?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm

Towed the tinny out there earlier in the year.

Should be called Dirk Hardslog island.

Amazing place.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:01pm

Spot on Syppo.

Blowin, why hard slog?
The distance, the state of the dirt road, the wind, the chop?

Bernier and Dorre look amazing, probably too much for a small tinny though.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:06pm

@AndyM,

That's a great link on Dirk Hartog Island Andy - a beautiful good news story!

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm

@Sypkan,

"Sad that they would circumvent public will in these tumultuous times. An arrogance so extreme it's either stupid or dangerous.

And scary that they have found the will for cooperation on this one single issue, whilst being unable to agree on anything at all for the last ten years.

"Reeks of something. And it ain't democracy."

You're absolutely spot on. Strange and disturbing bipartisan agenda . . . whose really pulling the strings there . . . and to what end? It's not just about the sanctimonious high moral ground i.e. the heroic social warriors/social engineers who know best so the plebeian public should just put up and shut up. It's profound arrogance and it's time for more people to get behind the SUSTAINABLE AUSTRALIA PARTY.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:17pm

Isn't it!

Now if they could just do that with Fraser, starting with the backpackers.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:36pm

Just a coincidence?
The ABC has s 15 minute slot on the 730 report each day this week entitled Australia 2050, with the topic discussing sustainable population. (Obviously they have been reading the Swellnet Politico Forums)

From what I remember and probably what you already know;

There are more people considering the issue and acknowledging its importance in relation to immigration,knowing that by 2050 we are heading for 45 million.

The urban sprawl is developing quicker than infrastructure.

The tendency to retrofit infrastructure is 5x more costly.

5 bedroom house and land package in the boondocks is available with a 5% deposit at $500k.( At a guess the house would take up most of the land)

18 month wait for child care place. 6 months for the kiddie learn to swim classes. (Aaah, first world problems)

30 % of current population weren't born here. ( seems high and I haven't been able to confirm this)

54% of Penrith drivers leave area to go to work each day.

Melbourne is more or less rooted congestion wise, and the next 10 years are going to get much worse as roadworks try and fix what should have been started 20 years ago.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:54pm

Theres a little Island in Indonesia between Rote and Sumba just south of Savu island, nothing at all there.

And Indonesia is considering sending it's refugees there.

Seems they are worried of conflict with locals, because refugees are living it up in Kupang and locals are getting jealous.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/10/15/ntt-to-move-immigrants-to-...
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/10/15/ntt-to-move-immigrants-to-...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 11:05pm

@westofthelake, saw that also, what I also heard was while the politicians and the country were worked up in a frenzy over the 60,000 odd refugees that came here (by boat) over the last 10 years during the same time 3.5 million migrates came here by plane.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 11:09pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 7:31am

If that was a little poke in the ribs at me, you will recall me bringing up the topic and my concern for unsustainable population growth a number of times, i think it's great the issue is getting a little attention.

Comparing controlled migration through official entry points with immigration, customs to boat arrivals to boat arrivals is very silly though allowing boat arrivals goes against all the reasons we have official entry points, immigration, customs, quarantine and it also goes against why we have refugee quotas and resettlement programs.

As far as numbers go we only have 60,000 odd boat arrivals over the years thanks to both the great work by both Labor and Liberals in protecting our borders and in policy that keeps the situation under control and discourages rather than encourages boat arrivals

Although Rudd did completely fuck up and showed us how a change of policy can quickly see things snowball with over 20,000 people arriving in one year, before he backflipped and now we still have to deal with his fuck up with people in offshore detention.