Watch: Weird Waves // Cliffs of Insanity

Swellnet Dispatch

Welcome to season two of Weird Waves.

Towards the end of season one it felt like the well of content was drying up. That there weren't that many weirds waves around the world to fill a whole season, leave alone more than one.

Yet here we are, season two, and it's got off to a cracking start with the host Dylan Graves surfing waves in Alaska formed by a glacier calving off into a nearby estuary.

The series has never promised perfect waves, not even good waves, the premise is all there in the title, and in this episode it wholly lives up to it.

A quick mention of Dylan Graves who does a fantastic job of hosting. Showbiz history says a series called Weird Waves should have an equally zany host, someone totally coocoo with crazy hair and wild hand mannerisms.

Yet Graves lets the waves be weird, he plays it straight without being dull, and in being a genial visitor invites great conversations with the folk who surf them.

Comments

Nigeisblessed's picture
Nigeisblessed's picture
Nigeisblessed commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 10:22am

What a life! I want some :)

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 12:02pm

Hahah. Yes. Kook shark. Need a few them lurking around for sure!!

I am the bone

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm

I saw a weird wave in northern Spain that broke right next to a break wall. The wall was smooth and 8' tall running easy 100 meters and allowed the swell to push up against it and focus the energy along it. The swell would unload out the back on a reef and then reform in the deeper inside and then hug the wall until it neared the beach corner. The locals had it wired, taking turns at waiting next to the wall and taking off right against it onto a sweet little left. I watched for an hour or more soaking up the sunshine and the uniqueness of this specialty wave and happy to leave it to the local kids and an older booger, not the place to add another person to a very tight take off zone.

Thor-Zone's picture
Thor-Zone's picture
Thor-Zone commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 1:23pm

I live in Noosa now, but for 40 years I lived in Anchorage. Most of the surfing I did was at Kodiak Island and on Montigue Island in Prince William Sound. Since I left Alaska about 6 years ago, it looks like riding the bore tide has become quite the thing.

Back in the mid 70's there was a dude named Jim Deal. He usually used a canoe and then later a kayak to ride the bore tide. He was THE pioneer of the Turnagain Arm bore. Good memories. Many thanks for posting it!

t-diddy's picture
t-diddy's picture
t-diddy commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 9:16pm

Anchorage to Noosa - what a change

Thor-Zone's picture
Thor-Zone's picture
Thor-Zone commented Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 4:27pm

I love Australia, I love Noosa and I love most Australians. I am working on permanent residency at the moment.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm

I'm really digging this series, as it mirrors the kind of travelling that interests me - going to interesting places that have waves, rather than seeking out specific surf spots.

bipola's picture
bipola's picture
bipola commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 2:37pm

i really enjoyed this series, a great bunch of guys hanging out together, i watched a few of them and was happly surprised to see Gerry Lopez and son ripping away 200 miles from the ocean

gavin007's picture
gavin007's picture
gavin007 commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 2:57pm

That was awesome.
He's certainly raised the bar !

spencie's picture
spencie's picture
spencie commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 4:14pm

Love this series.

easterly

Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm

Hmm... needs to add some props to his surfing inventory. Waterproof doobies and whiskey come to mind.

gray's picture
gray's picture
gray commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 8:14pm

Really cool stuff, most enjoyable laid back kinda style of video.

t-diddy's picture
t-diddy's picture
t-diddy commented Friday, 10 Jan 2020 at 9:41pm

Love the frequency modulation synth at the end! probs dx7

n!ck's picture
n!ck's picture
n!ck commented Saturday, 11 Jan 2020 at 7:38am

Yes!! Its back! Love this series. And loved this episode. Thanks!

Kellya's picture
Kellya's picture
Kellya commented Sunday, 12 Jan 2020 at 11:22am

Definitely glad to see this series back. I was surprised at how relatively consistent the glacier surf was, looks like a fun set-up, even though they didn’t score a big one!