Christo’s On One Leg for Inaugural Master’s SURFTAG
The Inaugural Master’s SURFTAG Presented by The Manly Club will be held this Saturday at Sydney’s South Curl Curl Beach with some of the country’s best Over 40-year-old surfers putting the coloured rash vest back on for their local Boardriding Club.
Christo Hall/North Narrabeen, Shane Conwell/North Avalon, and Cameron Sharpe/North Shelly will all be in action at South Curl Curl and recently battled it out for the Australian Over 40 Individual Title with Hall claiming victory. The win came at a cost for Hall injuring his right knee with an MCL ligament tear during the event which has kept him out of the water for the past five weeks.
“I haven’t surfed since the Aussie Titles and have just been resting my knee hoping it’s right for SURFTAG,” Hall said. “I injured the knee early in the event and kept surfing on it which made it worse but ended up getting the win, it’s starting to feel better so will just see how it feels on the day, got to represent the club.”
Hall and his Over 40’s North Narrabeen team will be looking for the Club’s second win of this year’s SURFTAG Series after their Women’s team won their eighth SURFTAG title earlier this month. The Women’s victory elevated North Narrabeen to fourth on the SURFTAG Series Rankings and within striking distance of current leaders Long Reef, a win for North Narrabeen at the Master’s will set up an epic showdown at the Men’s SURFTAG which is the fifth and final event of this year’s SURFTAG Series.
2022 SURFTAG Series Rankings Top 10 after three events:
- Long Reef Boardriders 2590
- North Shelly Boardriders 2225
- Queenscliff Boardriders 2200
- North Narrabeen Boardriders 2005
- North Avalon Surfriders 2005
- Elouera Boardriders 1585
- Scarborough Boardriders 1560
- Bondi Boardriders 1500
- Maroubra United 1110
- Dee Why Surfing Fraternity 1060
Competition is scheduled to start 8.00am Saturday, South Curl Curl Beach, Sydney.
Master’s SURFTAG Presented by The Manly Club
- Heat 1 – Long Reef, Elouera, Scarborough
- Heat 2 – Queenscliff, North Narrabeen, Cronulla Sharks
- Heat 3 – North Shelly, North Avalon, Bondi
The 2022 SURFTAG Series is proudly supported by Surf Culture Bondi, Guzman y Gomez, The Manly Club, Beachfox Sunscreen, Pine Property, Swellnet, Manly Observer, Tawny Frogmouth and Lifeline Northern Beaches.
2022 SURFTAG Series:
- Junior Surftag Presented by Guzman y Gomez – 13/14 August, Dee Why Beach
- Grommet’s SURFTAG Presented by Surf Culture Bondi – 27/28 August, Queenscliff Beach
- Women’s SURFTAG Presented by Beachfox - 10/11 September, Dee Why Beach
- Master’s SURFTAG Presented by The Manly Club – 24/25 September, Curl Curl Beach
- Men’s SURFTAG – 1/2 October, Queenscliff Beach