Surfcam using Macbook and Safari

bandicoot's picture
bandicoot started the topic in Monday, 10 Jan 2011 at 9:21am

In the last few days I have not been able to view the Surfcams....whats changed.....it had been working well.

Any tips ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 7:25am

Thanks hutcho. Waitpinga/Parsons are unfortunately near-impossible locations to put in a surfcam due to a lack of landline ADSL (we could do a 3G connection but the data costs would be prohibitively expensive). However a Middleton cam is in the medium term pipeline - once we finalise the existing network upgrade (which will take quite a few months).

hutcho's picture
hutcho's picture
hutcho Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 1:39pm

ok thanks a lot for the reply, really appreciate what you are doing.
cheers

blacksnappa's picture
blacksnappa's picture
blacksnappa Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 1:25am

Im on a mac, I can get nights to work with safari and Firfox but Southport doesn't work on either I get the error, Stream not found: mp4: southport

Cheers
Trent

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 1:40am

Trent, the Southport issue has been detailed in three other threads (including the previous page of this topic).

We've had a hardware breakdown (router), of which a replacement was shipped to the surf club yesterday. I'm hoping that the Surf Club guys will be able to swap it over in the next day or so.

blacksnappa's picture
blacksnappa's picture
blacksnappa Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 6:39am

Sorry

To slack to read that far back.

Cheers
Trent

shockwave's picture
shockwave's picture
shockwave Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 9:14pm

Hi Ben
I'm not picking up the Coffs Harbour cam is it working. Keep up the good work. Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 9:31pm

Hmm, the Coffs cam seems to have gone down. Will try to get it back up ASAP.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 9:32pm

Should be back again.. not sure why it was offline actually.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2011 at 11:48pm

And.. the Southport surfcam is back online! Thanks to Don at the Surf Club for swapping it over for us.

shockwave's picture
shockwave's picture
shockwave Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 7:18am

Coffs is back at this end. Cheers

surferdazz's picture
surferdazz's picture
surferdazz Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 7:27am

Hey guys, having a lot of trouble viewing live cams. Eg, get an error up with Lorne cam 6.25pm 17:3:2011

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Mar 2011 at 7:52am

surferdazz, three of our four Vic surfcams are awaiting hardware replacement, due to be rolled out in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your patience.

ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane Saturday, 19 Mar 2011 at 4:39am

South Port is working for me now, just to let you know. Thanks :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 19 Mar 2011 at 4:52am

No probs Ryan! We're stoked too... always good to be able to see those 1ft swells in the gulf :D

murphy-s-law's picture
murphy-s-law's picture
murphy-s-law Saturday, 19 Mar 2011 at 8:50pm

Hello guys, the only cam I can get in Vic is Portsea. Any ideas? Really just want Flinders. Thanks

lc2034's picture
lc2034's picture
lc2034 Saturday, 19 Mar 2011 at 10:44pm

hey guys whats happening,, Narrabeen not loading ???

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 19 Mar 2011 at 11:56pm

I just reset the Narrabeen stream and it's up and running again.

Lorne, 13th Beach and Flinders are awaiting hardware replacement in the coming weeks.

swellman's picture
swellman's picture
swellman Monday, 21 Mar 2011 at 11:11pm

I am having problems viewing snapper rocks on my windows seven computer

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 21 Mar 2011 at 11:28pm

swellman, not sure what's up with the Snapper cam but I have reset it and it seems to be running OK here now. Shame we can't do anything about the (lack of) surf though.

lc2034's picture
lc2034's picture
lc2034 Friday, 25 Mar 2011 at 10:24pm

sorry to complain but Manly is a frosted still shot thought you might like to know

rhys211's picture
rhys211's picture
rhys211 Saturday, 26 Mar 2011 at 1:40am

Only VIC cam working currently is Portsea.

Cheers Rhys

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 26 Mar 2011 at 10:43pm

And.. Southport is back again!

rhys211 - the status of our Vic cams has been detailed in previous pages within this thread. In short, they'll be back shortly.

keithg's picture
keithg's picture
keithg Saturday, 2 Apr 2011 at 7:44pm

Hi,can`t view any surf cams at all.
Running XP Pro & Google Chrome.
cheers Keith

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 3 Apr 2011 at 4:34am

keithg, can you try removing hardware acceleration on your Flash player - to do so, right click the player window, choose 'settings' and then deselect 'Enable Hardware Acceleration'. That should do the trick.

eeks's picture
eeks's picture
eeks Sunday, 3 Apr 2011 at 5:39am

Ben still getting problems with the southprot surfcam. The waves seem to be under 1 foot everyday I look at it. Can't seem to see anything worth surfing. Please fix this issue asap ty

*for real thoguh the knights cam has double ups of the same stream in the video? anyone else getting this?

nevso's picture
nevso's picture
nevso Monday, 4 Apr 2011 at 7:42am

Hey SN guys,

When I access the surfcam at 13th Beach, I get the error message...

"[Server.Reject] : (jml.edgecastcdn.net,-defaultVhost_) : Application (200FA4) is not defined."

I'm running a 2.4 GHz MAC OS 10.6.7 and FireFox 4.0

Any help???

wozz's picture
wozz's picture
wozz Saturday, 9 Apr 2011 at 8:46pm

your surfcam at Newcastle
is not working

powerglide's picture
powerglide's picture
powerglide Sunday, 10 Apr 2011 at 9:33pm

surfcam at narrabeen seems to be frozen and has been for a few days now using Windows internet explorer thanks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 10 Apr 2011 at 10:28pm

Narrabeen and Newcastle cams are working fine here. 13th Beach is down (as detailed previously in this thread), and we've had two other cams go down yesterday that we hope to resolve today - Bondi and Portsea. Love technology...

jimandlet's picture
jimandlet's picture
jimandlet Monday, 11 Apr 2011 at 10:37pm

Hi
Is the Mollymook cam working?
thanks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 12 Apr 2011 at 2:36am

Working fine here jimandlet.

gjn_au's picture
gjn_au's picture
gjn_au Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 at 1:07am

Can somebody prune the shrub obstructing the northern view from the Thirroul camera

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 13 Apr 2011 at 1:28am

That's on the to-do list. I'm impressed at how fast it's grown in the last 12 months!

gford44's picture
gford44's picture
gford44 Thursday, 14 Apr 2011 at 10:29pm

Oh for goodness sakes… after all the trouble experienced with the Portsea surfcam over summer, I can't believe it's down again… & it's been down for almost a week.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Apr 2011 at 11:16pm

gford44, that's the wonders of technology. The surfcam went down on Tues, and unfortunately it's difficult to get into the surf club during the week (because no-one is there outside of the patrolling season). We'll hopefully have it fixed up tomorrow... thanks for your patience.

gford44's picture
gford44's picture
gford44 Friday, 15 Apr 2011 at 11:33pm

No worries thermalben. Appreciate you getting back to me so promptly and letting me know.

evans32's picture
evans32's picture
evans32 Saturday, 16 Apr 2011 at 1:47am

yepp evz here, we have lost the yallingup camera aswell but can still pick up margs weird stuff

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 16 Apr 2011 at 6:55am

Yeah, Yalls went down a few days ago.. not sure on the cause. Hope to have it back up ASAP.

adam30's picture
adam30's picture
adam30 Saturday, 16 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm

hey swellnet,

i am using safari and firefox on my imac and i am unable to view the cameras at all. The screen (camera section) just comes up blue and then times out.

please have this fixed soon as I am afraid if no one can check where the best waves are the line ups will become uncrowded and there'll be no more mals, boogie boarders and dads with their new goat boats to share the glut of fantastic waves we get....especially on the weekends when everyone has time off.

ps....yes, you moved with the times and have created a monster. was there so much wrong with checking the swell charts in the paper, getting up before dawn, filling the car up, getting the guys together and searching for good waves and sometime scoring them to yourself? Not really but then again I do hear the bell of time chiming in my ears and hoards of grommies telling me to "fuck up old man"......which hilarious because that's what I would have been saying.........in my hand written letter to Tracks!

wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves Monday, 18 Apr 2011 at 1:35am

Hey Ben and Swellnet Crew,
Love your work and appreciate all the great reports, surfcams and resources you provide us. Us Viccos and 13th beach goers are starting to feel like the poor cousin as it has been months since we've had a consistent cam working down there. I understand the limitations and costs associated with technology and don't expect things to be working all the time although as Adam in the previous post slides towards saying we now live and die by these cams.
Have you thought in order to maintain and provide greater uptime of your cams of asking your loyal membership base of making a contribution or donation towards this?? I know another similar surfing site (i won't mention their name) ask for a membership donation - whether it goes to camera maintenance i don't know but the local cam i know of works majority of the time. You may be surprised by how many would be willing to contribute. I certainly would be willing to stick my hand in my pocket. It will save me plenty of time, fuel and help fill in a few minutes at work staring at the line up wishing i was there. Either way up to you guys - just a suggestion. By the way - any ETA on when 13th will be up and going?? Cheers and keep up the good work.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 18 Apr 2011 at 3:36am

Thanks for the nice words WMW. Surfcams are inherently difficult to maintain due to the harsh environment they're put into, as well as the enormous costs in getting them up and running (and, Swellnet is a free service, which we'd like to maintain - paid subscriptions adds a new dimension that's a lot more than simply asking for annual fee from our users).

However, our existing surfcam problem are related to a major network overhaul - we've just switched our cam technology (after five years running the previous system), and the associated rollout is taking a little longer than we thought. Additionally, at 13th Beach we're looking to upgrade the site location which will require more modifications than other spots.

However, as long as we don't experience any more unforeseen delays, our upgraded Vic network should be live and operational within the next two or three weeks (it's at the top of the list). Qld's upgrade will follow shortly afterwards, then SA, NSW and WA. Thanks for your patience.. we're very confident you'll be impressed with the upgrade.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Monday, 18 Apr 2011 at 6:27am

here here, sir malben, i think that mr morewaves has an idea! but as a leader of men the world round for all sorts of campaigns i think that it would be hard to implement said fiscal remuneration.

silversurfer54's picture
silversurfer54's picture
silversurfer54 Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011 at 1:35am

hey Ben,
the Cams for Margies & Yallingup have been down for over a week now.Tried using both Firefox 4 & Chrome(don't go near IE !)Hope things can be sorted soon,
Running Win 7 home prem,if that helps
Cheers. . . .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011 at 1:45am

Silversurfer Margaret River is working fine and has been all week. Could you try again now?

Yallingup has been down for nearly a week but we're not sure of the cause yet. Hopefully it will be back up again soon.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011 at 3:37am

Just found out the onsite Yallingup computer has carked it (a vital piece of the surfcam network). It needs to be replaced, however the upgrade wasn't scheduled for WA for another 2 months. Will have to see whether we can expedite the Yall upgrade ASAP.

powerglide's picture
powerglide's picture
powerglide Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011 at 5:23am

Camera showing North Narrabeen still frozen is'nt panning left or right. All other cameras working well. Advice please .

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Apr 2011 at 5:45am

Looks like the camera has frozen on that spot, and unfortunately the rebooter is broken (argh!). I'll try to get in there to replace it in the next day or so.

brettstix's picture
brettstix's picture
brettstix Friday, 22 Apr 2011 at 10:30pm

Southport Cam not woring this morning. It was up yesterday.

Windows XP SP3
Firefox 4
IE 8
Chrome 10

atomictights's picture
atomictights's picture
atomictights Monday, 25 Apr 2011 at 5:54am

Some surfcams not working in IE on PC. Message is: [Server.Reject}:(fml.edgecastcdn.net,_dfaultVHost_):Application(200FA4) is not defined.
QLD Surfers paradise and Coolum.

moresabf's picture
moresabf's picture
moresabf Wednesday, 27 Apr 2011 at 1:02am

27 April
None of the Vic Surfcams are accessible for me today.
Portsea comes up with a blue screen.
The rest give me a ms [Server.Reject] : 0f,l.edgecastcdn.net,_defaultVHost_) : Application (200FA4) is not defined

Mac 10.6.6
Safari 5.0.3