Surfcam using Macbook and Safari

bandicoot's picture
bandicoot started the topic in Monday, 10 Jan 2011 at 9:21am

In the last few days I have not been able to view the Surfcams....whats changed.....it had been working well.

Any tips ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Feb 2011 at 12:55am

tuna, we've been seeing some intermittent problems today at Southport. It rebooted once this morning but has since gone down again. I have just rebooted it again - hopefully it'll be back up and running in the next couple of minutes. If not - looks like the Southport cam will also be due for hardware replacement.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 9 Feb 2011 at 12:56am

Yep, just checked and it's all up and running again.

thegong's picture
thegong's picture
thegong Wednesday, 9 Feb 2011 at 3:44am

hey thermalben,
I'm having trouble viewing the Wollongong and Thirroul swellnet cameras.
I realize there are some issues but not sure if they are with these cameras.
thanks for any help on getting back to viewing the surf.

tuna's picture
tuna's picture
tuna Wednesday, 9 Feb 2011 at 5:23am

tuna, we've been seeing some intermittent problems today at Southport. It rebooted once this morning but has since gone down again. I have just rebooted it again - hopefully it'll be back up and running in the next couple of minutes. If not - looks like the Southport cam will also be due for hardware replacement.

By: "thermalben"

Thanks thermalben

flipper3's picture
flipper3's picture
flipper3 Thursday, 10 Feb 2011 at 12:53am

Thanks so much for fixing the Mollymook surfcam. Great to have it back online!

shockwave's picture
shockwave's picture
shockwave Saturday, 12 Feb 2011 at 10:48pm

Hi Ben
Coffs surfcam seems to be down again. It was working fine for a while. Keep up the good work. Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 13 Feb 2011 at 1:07am

Shockwave.. it's working here OK - can you please refresh your browser and see if it works?

shockwave's picture
shockwave's picture
shockwave Monday, 14 Feb 2011 at 12:00am

Yeh tried it this morning and working fine, thanks Ben. Lesson 1, never put within 10 foot of a computer. cheers

12sauce's picture
12sauce's picture
12sauce Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 3:41am

Hey, I also cant view the surf cam for Wollongong. My computer is running on Mac OS X version 10.6.5 and Safari 5.0.3

thanks

schmo's picture
schmo's picture
schmo Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 4:05am

Hi im using a mac air os 10.6.6 using google chrome and safari and i can't view the surf cams.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 4:09am

12sauce and schmo, our Wollongong surfcam is working fine here. Have you tried disabling your hardware acceleration? It's worked for everyone else so far.

To do this, hold 'control' and click the surfcam player and go into settings. Disable the hardware acceleration and then refresh the page.

deisler's picture
deisler's picture
deisler Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm

I get an up-to-date still picture but no streaming. I'm on google chrome. Coffs Harbour

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm

Ah deisler.. looks like the vision had locked up. I've restarted the stream - should be OK now.

wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves Tuesday, 15 Feb 2011 at 9:48pm

hey guys - i've had this problem for a while. I can view majority of the cams around Australia but can never get 13th beach cam up and going which is my local. Same goes for Lorne. Any ideas??

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 at 12:58am

wantmorewaves - as detailed in previous pages, these locations are awaiting hardware replacement. We're hoping to finish our testing (with some new gear) this week and will hopefully have them up and running soon. Apologies for the inconvenience.

schmo's picture
schmo's picture
schmo Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 at 2:12am

disabling the accelerator worked. thanks heaps!!

wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves's picture
wantmorewaves Thursday, 17 Feb 2011 at 2:43am

cheers ben, apologies for been a lazy prick and not reading further back in the thread. looking forward to them been up and running.

boddasaffa's picture
boddasaffa's picture
boddasaffa Thursday, 17 Feb 2011 at 10:31pm

Morning for the last few days the web cam has been sticking(freezing), or fixing on one point then jumping to the next, Im on windows Vista all the other web cams for my area seem fine. Im looking at the North Narrabeen link. Is there anything I can do to update my software?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 18 Feb 2011 at 1:09am

Which cam boddasaffa? The Narrabeen cam? We don't have a North Narrabeen one.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 18 Feb 2011 at 8:41am

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." Albert Einstein.

surfytum's picture
surfytum's picture
surfytum Monday, 21 Feb 2011 at 12:08am

Hi , I've not been able to see the surf cams from months now?? I'm running Windows7 x64 and have tried FireFox and Internet Explorer 8. Chrome is useless I've not bothered with Chrome.
Cheers

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 Feb 2011 at 1:02am

Which cameras surfytum?

tuna's picture
tuna's picture
tuna Monday, 21 Feb 2011 at 11:07pm

Hi, South Port Beach cam in South Australia is down again..

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 Feb 2011 at 11:12pm

Hi Tuna,

There seems to be a power outage at Southport atm. Hopefully it will be restored soon.

Cheers, Craig

new2surfing's picture
new2surfing's picture
new2surfing Monday, 28 Feb 2011 at 6:19am

Is anyone else having problems with the surfcams today? I can't access Scarbs at all (frozen image only), Marg River is really grainy and not fluid. Yallingup is coming through as a frame by frame feed. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.6.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Feb 2011 at 6:59am

Scarbs was frozen, new2surfing - I've restarted it so it should be fine now. Margs unfortunately doesn't like the late afternoon glare across the water, which slightly pixelates the image. Not sure what's up with Yallingup - could be a dodgy internet connection, so I've rebooted the router.

new2surfing's picture
new2surfing's picture
new2surfing Monday, 28 Feb 2011 at 7:48am

Thanks thermalben, Scarbs is working now and the others seem better too. Thanks for the help.

flipper3's picture
flipper3's picture
flipper3 Wednesday, 2 Mar 2011 at 3:15am

Mollymook surfcam not working today or yesterday (was ok a few days ago) - spinning wheel stops and it's just black - same thing for other nsw south coast cameras at Wollongong and Thirroul today...using Firefox on a Mac, usually no probs

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Mar 2011 at 3:22am

Mollymook was frozen flipper3 - I've restarted it, should be back online now.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 2 Mar 2011 at 3:27am

Wollongong and Thirroul are working fine here though. Thirroul takes a little while to get running (as it's a different system) but the vision's been streaming all day with no interruptions.

surfytum's picture
surfytum's picture
surfytum Wednesday, 2 Mar 2011 at 7:03am

I think it's all cameras, but the only 2 I check are 13th Beach and Torquay.
Cheers

seadog's picture
seadog's picture
seadog Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 at 8:36pm

G'day fella's, just to let you know, havin' some probs with the narrabeen cam, all the rest are fine, using windows and google chrome, all the best, Steve.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 at 9:38pm

No sure what's up with our Narra cam, seadog - I'll pop down today and see what's happening (btw, you're not missing anything in the surf department).

ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 at 11:02pm

can someone give me an alternative Website to view a surf cam at South Port while the web cams are getting fixed.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 at 11:34pm

There isn't any.. sorry Ryan. Not sure what's up with our Southport cam - it's not responding to our rebooter. This means one of two things - there's a power outage at the surf club, or our equipment has fried.

bbark's picture
bbark's picture
bbark Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 at 12:49am

I can't get any pics from Southport in South Australia today - March 6

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 at 1:03am

bbark - read the post above yours for an explanation.

web-cams-save-me-petrol's picture
web-cams-save-me-petrol's picture
web-cams-save-m... Wednesday, 9 Mar 2011 at 1:38am

Thirroul Camera works for 5 or so secs then freezes for 10 secs and then starts up again and so on. Moc OSX 10.6.6. Safari. Definitely a specific to this camera as all other cameras work fine. It has been doing this for a few weeks now.

gjn_au's picture
gjn_au's picture
gjn_au Wednesday, 9 Mar 2011 at 10:30pm

I ahve same problem with the Thirroul cam. WIN 10,1,102,64

surfeng's picture
surfeng's picture
surfeng Thursday, 10 Mar 2011 at 10:57pm

Are the Victorian webcams still being upgraded? I can only get a picture from the Portsea cam. The others give the following error:
[Server.Reject]:(fml.edgecastcdn.net,-defaultVHost-):Application(200FA4)is not defined.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Mar 2011 at 11:54pm

Yeah, they are surfeng - we've finally agreed on which model camera we're using (as we're changing manufacturers after five years), and are now awaiting our order to be finalised and the installation schedule locked down. Got a few new Vic surfcam locations too, which is exciting.

ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane's picture
ryan-kannane Friday, 11 Mar 2011 at 6:02am

thanks bro. you and the swellnet team have a great website here, keep the good work fellas!

wmsccc's picture
wmsccc's picture
wmsccc Sunday, 13 Mar 2011 at 2:12am

There is NO power outage at South Port SA, so must be system fried...has been like that now for nearly 2 weeks :(

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 13 Mar 2011 at 2:34am

Actually wmsccc, the Southport cam has been generally online for the last two weeks, up until Thursday when the router finally gave up the ghost (we had this confirmed Friday night at 7pm, by one of the surf club staff). Prior to this there were occasional periods of downtime (probably related to the dying router) but they were generally no longer than an hour or two.

Next steps for us is to purchase a new router, configure it and then send it over to the surfclub for installation. We'll get onto this first thing Monday.

slida2010's picture
slida2010's picture
slida2010 Sunday, 13 Mar 2011 at 2:41am

Just leting you know that i cant view the southport cam and its been that way for me for the last few days

kongduckey's picture
kongduckey's picture
kongduckey Sunday, 13 Mar 2011 at 3:32am

Hey crew. What's with the Southport camera. It was working fine until recently, any chance it's going to work again. I have the same problem as everyone else.

fishface's picture
fishface's picture
fishface Sunday, 13 Mar 2011 at 4:25am

ha ha i cant beleive two people asked about whats happening to the southport cam when an explanation is directly above (and written an hr before they asked). By the way i cant view the camera either ;) ha ha might as well make it a hat trick

bbark's picture
bbark's picture
bbark Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 1:15am

Still not getting any pics from South Port in SA

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 1:21am

bbark - the new Southport router has been configured and sent from our Sydney office. Should arrive tomorrow, but I'm not sure when the surf club guys will be able to put it in. Definitely by the end of the week - hopefully earlier.

hutcho's picture
hutcho's picture
hutcho Tuesday, 15 Mar 2011 at 7:01am

hi
just want to say that i think what you are doing with the site and surfcams is great and really helpful. As all surf beaches are a good drive from my place its great to be able to see what its like before deciding whether or not to go down. so cheers for that.

was just wondering if you are planning on setting up any cams in other locations around SA like Middleton, Waitpinga or somewhere down that area?

cheers