Health, fitness and wellbeing

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Wednesday, 6 Jul 2022 at 7:19pm

For people focusing on surfing fitness, long lasting sexual fitness and drive too. Update your exercise routines, diet and routines. also surf sessions and any improvements.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 26 Sep 2022 at 8:20pm

Hi Blackers. 6'6".

Surfing it as a quad and loving it.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 26 Sep 2022 at 8:49pm

Nice one.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 26 Sep 2022 at 9:35pm

Haven’t had a drop of alcohol in nearly 10 years. The best thing I’ve ever done.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 28 Sep 2022 at 4:59pm

Onya Zen, booze in excess is just a waste of money and if you drink 8+ beers a day you dont feel effects unless you quit, which can be deadly.Or feel effects if you drink moonshine/hard liquor which gets you smashed if strong/high moonshine% per glass but then feel like shit for two days and miss work or surfing.
I saved about $3000 last year without drinking. Hopefully next dry season i can get to Thailand if im not fit/have a beer gut that wont go away..Or indo if am fit and surfing decently..

Even if rusty still, Medewi for two weeks before heading somewhere better/hollow will be a lot easier to surf than anywhere around here with raw swells we get. Spots here are for 20-40 year olds or 5 foot and below for older than 45-50 or medication induced unhealthiness.

Walking to the point and back, drinking less, about 50 situps a day, (i tried more but struggle) no pushups, some light weights on gym system and still only lost 2kg in a month.

Need to do the Occy diet i think.Get a few pairs of trackies and jumpers and sweat out the fat while jogging in the heat this summer.

RichieMac's picture
RichieMac's picture
RichieMac Monday, 17 Oct 2022 at 2:14pm
Barrel Daithwaite wrote:

Not sure where I should put this but ill fire away as curious if anyone else had something similar.

I'm fit, healthy, surf regularly, stretch, yoga and other fitness activities. But only when I surf I get neck pain in one side very consistently. If I take a few days off surfing it stops and as soon as I start paddling again it happens. Massage/stretching/fitness bands etc dont seem to help. Is this just what getting old is? Potentially something with my paddling technique? I can't recall any injuries that it might stem from, started happening maybe 6 months ago now comes back after every session.

Get a scan if it’s really bad, could be bulging disc pinching a nerve in your neck especially if it runs down your arm as well.Long paddles really flare it up

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 27 Oct 2022 at 3:49pm
mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Thursday, 3 Nov 2022 at 8:15pm

I just read an interesting article in the Australian

Seems the benefit of muscle growth appears to come from the lowering of weights rather than the raising of them. I wont copy the whole article but there is some example exercises at the end of the paper.

What if you could lift weights for half the time and achieve exactly the same gains in strength? That could be entirely possible if you ditch lifting weights, and focus on lowering them.

New research by muscles guru Ken Nosaka from Edith Cowan University has found that the eccentric contraction – performed when the muscle is lengthened as when lowering weights – is the most effective for increasing muscle strength and muscle size.

“In the case of a dumbbell curl, many people may believe the lifting action provides the most benefit, or at least some benefit, but we found concentric muscle contractions contributed little to the training effects,” Professor Nosaka said.

example:

Arms: Using a dumbbell, use two hands to lift the weight up, and drop to using one arm to lower it. You can do this when performing: bicep curls, overhead extensions, front raises and shoulder presses.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Wednesday, 16 Nov 2022 at 9:31pm

Been putting in the extra hard yards lately. Ive always trained daily and kept fit but right now i'm training purely with cyclone swells in mind.

Battle ropes daily, working the shoulders, adjusting my arms to be roughly paddle width apart with a real focus on the movement to emulate paddling. It's not perfect but it's close enough to the real deal.

Skipping, wall balls, kettle bell swings, short/sharp sprints, everything cardio based. Filling the lungs with air, the heart thumping & being comfortable with being uncomfortable.

I'm pushing 1 hour a day of cardio, no breaks (not even for water) every single day. Mixing up the routines for the body to rest (excluding battle ropes) I feel fucking great at basically 40

But as they say its 80% diet, so eat good quality fresh food and no fucking processed oils or sugar.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:50am

Sounds pretty epic Burls.

I'm doing mostly strength and stretching work at the moment, trying to get my back "bullet-proof".

Diet is going pretty good- lots of homegrown and fresh fish, organic where I can afford it.

Just the odd beer, here and there. Mostly alcohol free.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 7:26am

Well done, guys.

I gotta get back to some serious strength training. Being 59 is not easy on muscle mass, and I've been getting less strong. Can paddle for ages, though, so my shoulders, pecs and back are solid. Legs and arms withering :-/

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 7:45am

Andrew Huberman- Check out his stuff

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 8:04am

My biggest problem these days is how I recover after 2-3 days of 3-4 hours surfing per day . I’m finding I’m sore all over and body just wants to lie down for a few days. 61 yo

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 8:22am

Sciatica all good now FR? What strengthening exercises are you doing?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 8:34am

Back is OK Flow, still a niggle here and there but functionally fine.

Core strengthening, posterior chain work, chins, push-ups etc etc.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 8:38am

Good one.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm
Supafreak wrote:

My biggest problem these days is how I recover after 2-3 days of 3-4 hours surfing per day . I’m finding I’m sore all over and body just wants to lie down for a few days. 61 yo

Yes recovery is everything these days. What the surf is doing tomorrow and the next dictates what I’m doing today-weights or stretching/yoga

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 3:18pm

I have a pretty boring but quick workout that I do 3-5 days per week depending on how many surfs and other physical activity I'm doing. I use a 32kg kettlebell and do 100x kettlebell single arm swings in sets of 10. With the same kettlebell 5x Turkish getups on each side. It seems to work the core legs back and shoulders well. I can get this done including the warm up in about 40 minutes depending on how hot my garage is... I want to get a chin up bar and start doing some of those as well. For me, keeping it simple and quick is key for me to actually get the motivation to get in the garage and do it.

Doing kettlebell swings with a moderately challenging weight and starting the sets when you are about halfway back to normal heart rate seems to translate really well to improving paddling endurance through sets when you are on the inside. I will say though if you haven't done kettlebell training before start moderately light and focus on good form, poor form can cause some pretty bad injuries.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 3:28pm

32 kg TGU's is pretty nuts!

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 3:47pm
freeride76 wrote:

It took a long time to get to that weight. Started at 16kg then 24kg then 32kg. Jump from 24kg to 32kg was very hard/intimidating. I don't want to go any heavier, risk isn't worth it. It's weird though, I think it's mostly a nervous system/co-ordination adaption than a muscle mass thing when progressing between those weights with the TGU.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 4:15pm

I started at 8, went to 12, then 16 and 20.

Had to stop when back injured, but I love doing them, and I reckon I will start again with 8 soon.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 4:41pm

This argues lowering weight is better….

https://apple.news/AU1ObE37AS6y-dwpLvtgOog

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:26pm
burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:31pm
MrBungle wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

It took a long time to get to that weight. Started at 16kg then 24kg then 32kg. Jump from 24kg to 32kg was very hard/intimidating. I don't want to go any heavier, risk isn't worth it. It's weird though, I think it's mostly a nervous system/co-ordination adaption than a muscle mass thing when progressing between those weights with the TGU.

Geezus, 32kg TGU is huge. Very impressive

I haven’t done them in years, I’ll go try a few now with a lighter weight and see how hard it is, because from memory they ain’t easy with good form.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:38pm

No, it took me ages to learn how to do them with good form.

And if you lose control of that weight when it's overhead in the movements it;'s not pretty.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:50pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 6:59pm

damn.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 7:03pm

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 9:25am
freeride76 wrote:

No, it took me ages to learn how to do them with good form.

And if you lose control of that weight when it's overhead in the movements it;'s not pretty.

I had a crack, started with 6kg bell to try find some form, felt really rusty so I didn’t move up weights as I didn’t want a unnecessary injury.

Def a great strength workout the TGU and will incorporate it into my workouts for the next few months and see where I end up.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 9:38am
MrBungle wrote:

Doing kettlebell swings with a moderately challenging weight and starting the sets when you are about halfway back to normal heart rate seems to translate really well to improving paddling endurance through sets when you are on the inside. I will say though if you haven't done kettlebell training before start moderately light and focus on good form, poor form can cause some pretty bad injuries.

What do you recommend for a starting set? I want to get into and I need to know what set of kettlebells to buy. I'm generally fit, definitely, more fit than average people, 6'4" x 90-ish kgs. The goal is to increase general strength, not necessarily lose weight etc.

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 9:41am

There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube for the Turkish getup, try "Strongfirst Turkish Get up". I still go back and watch them every now and then when I feel like I might be getting sloppy, same with kettlebell swings. So many little details that get can be tweaked that make a big difference.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 9:45am
lostdoggy wrote:

Looks easy enough.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdKHr-AhpkW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

You know her lostdoggy?

MrBungle's picture
MrBungle's picture
MrBungle Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 10:11am
flollo wrote:
MrBungle wrote:

What do you recommend for a starting set? I want to get into and I need to know what set of kettlebells to buy. I'm generally fit, definitely, more fit than average people, 6'4" x 90-ish kgs. The goal is to increase general strength, not necessarily lose weight etc.

Have a look at the Simple and Sinister revision Revised and Updated Edition program online. There is a kindle version you can get on the kindle app on your phone or ipad.
https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Revised-Updated-ebook/...

It recommends getting 3 bells, a 16kg, 24kg and 32 but you probably won't be touching the 32 for a while so you can wait before buying that if you want. To start though, go with a just balancing a shoe on your fist for the getups until you have the movement down. Watch lots of YouTube videos for form tips, it makes a huge difference for both the swing and getup. A bit of advice, never try and muscle through it without having your form down, injuries suck.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 10:55am
AndyM wrote:
lostdoggy wrote:

Looks easy enough.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdKHr-AhpkW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

You know her lostdoggy?

Nope.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm

I know her from around the place, thought you might have known her too

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 3:06pm

thanks Udo for the recent Andrew Huberman recommendations. Lots of good info and listening to be found at the Huberman Lab.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 3:24pm

He's good eh...this one on Nicotine is interesting - He has another real long one re Nico and Vaping
Wonder what he thinks about a Mull bowl / half Baccy half Mull mix

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 3:19pm

yeah, very good. Just the type of source I'm looking for.

I quite liked the NSDR protocol - just another form of deep meditation really, but helpful. I see he has one specifically on meditation which I'll get into soon.

thanks again

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 18 Nov 2022 at 4:59pm

He’s a boss ;)

https://m.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 5:08pm

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 6:42pm

Huberman is top. I also follow David Sinclair since his book Lifespan came out. That book was a real game changer for me.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
bhuvahh's picture
bhuvahh's picture
bhuvahh Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 12:56am

I've been completely off the piss for months now. In addition to what Burleigh said another plus is the added lead in your pencil.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 1:48pm
bhuvahh wrote:

I've been completely off the piss for months now. In addition to what Burleigh said another plus is the added lead in your pencil.

Congrats mate, its 100% becoming more normalised to not drink. The Australian mentality towards drinking is so backwards:
Had a bad day - drink a beer
Had an amazing day - drink a beer
Physically worked hard - ive earnt a beer

In reality you need to replenish your body with a green smoothie instead. No wonder we are sick.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm

The best thing I ever did was not have a drink for 9 years now.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 2:00pm
flollo wrote:

The best thing I ever did was not have a drink for 9 years now.

Same with me. The best decision of my life.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 2:06pm

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 4:38pm

It sounds like all you guys had a problem with alcohol and didn’t know when to say no so you had to go completely cold turkey sober.
Nothing wrong with having a beer in moderation.

My drinking rules are no alcohol from Monday to Thursday at all, then if I feel like a beer Friday, Saturday or Sunday I’m allowed. Doesn’t mean I have to drink or always drink on those days, just means I’m not allowed to drink on the other days

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 4:56pm

I’m 20 years no alcohol. One day I just decided no more alcohol.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 4:57pm

Not sure where anybody indicated having a problem with alcohol ;)

What things sound like are often nothing to do with what you want to interpret / hear ;);)

Next time there is an opportunity, choose to abstain (through choice and not mere problem solving) and try and observe ppl drinking in ‘moderation’…

Australian ‘moderation’ often involves a display of exaggerated self inflating heroics that are highlighted with bullshit tales of imagined brotherhood and romantic conquest.

Alcohol - with all its imagined ability to help create genuine social interaction - is a drug for fools with low self esteem ;)

Our culture celebrates and thrives on alcohol. People will be fuckwits regardless of it being consumed or not - but if you wish to see if there is something out there to further diminish your decision making capabilities - then alcohol is for you !

Consider the amount of damage alcohol reaps on society - drink driving, domestic violence, sexual assault - just to name a few…

Alcohol is not the cause - it is the conduit - and alcoholism is an absolute beast of burden ;);)

Consider life without it…
If that is gonna be a problem then you have the problem ;)

But…

‘She’ll be right mate’ ;)

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Tuesday, 22 Nov 2022 at 5:01pm

My wife was diagnosed with cancer 2 days after running her 8th marathon. She ate healthy, didn’t really drink, ate red meat once a month or less…eats vegetables and fruit, eats beans, pulses avoided high fats salts and sugars. Starts the day with a green smoothie. Most of her diet is organic.
She must have done something wrong?

burleigh, can you post up your green smoothie recipes and I can show her where she went wrong.