All Things Religion Thread

Balance's picture
Balance started the topic in Sunday, 29 Mar 2020 at 2:13pm

Here you go optimist

Not sure my motivation...my instinctive need to stick up for the underdog...my secret desire to be one day honoured rightfully with the role of Forum moderator (expecting a call any day)...

But anyway I couldn't help but read your troubles on another thread...unfortunately I found myself siding with everyone's posts...other than your own...except for the part where you were told you can't post here!

So I put my low IQ mind to coming up with a solution that suits all...and here it is...a safe place if you like

You can post anything you like about your beliefs...and no one has to read it unless they want! Easy peasy...

maybe you could even get Jesus, fat Buddha, Mohammed, and friends to converse in adult conversation here

Solving the world problems, one at a time...call it taking a shovel as a way of moving that mountain

All the best...brother

PS...I actually was born again once, but I grew up, and grew a brain of my own...and realised it was all a load of shit!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 10:14pm

- it’s fair to say religion can also provide an outlet for creative expression that sometimes only makes sense to the individual ;)
- barring all pedo activities, of course.

And in turn this can help others appreciate and share in the fun of life.

I would say surfing is a religion we share in some ways… It requires dedication, hard work, faith, commitment and helps one develop respect. It garners gratitude and fosters a feeling of community as well as providing a training ground for looking out for others.

It also has immense value as something to share with friends and family to strengthen bonds and create shared experiences that are both spiritual AND rooted in reality. The gift of teaching a son or daughter to surf is also a passing on of knowledge and a tool that promotes health and builds lifelong skills and memories.

It opens up a proper appreciation of something bigger than ourselves by giving insight into the true power of nature - and the ocean is one the best sacred spaces and is a teacher that is always open and offering opportunities for anyone who wants to learn ;) It’s not necessarily exclusive - other than having to be able to swim, and maybe an awareness of skill level relative to conditions, anyone is welcome… (you can even keep the skin on the end of ya penis / don’t have to grow a beard etc / can surf on the sabbath etc).

Just gotta work out how my devotion to the water can allow an exemption from paying tax !

But that would somehow corrupt things, and - at least, other than a healthy caution for occasional hazards (sharks or dry reef end sections or treacherous stormy conditions) there is no real in built guilt mechanism based around facing the wrath etc.

The only real commandments involve not snaking, not dropping in, waiting ya turn, trying to be a bit generous ;) and… wearing a leggy ;)

You also won’t spend an eternity in damnation for any indiscretion, will bask in the glow of surf stoke repeatedly and often… and be gifted something that promotes and creates smiles, builds resilience and fuels good vibes ;)

Sounds almost too good to be true.
But it is true ;)

… praise the lord

https://m.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 10:07pm

Then Huey sent his son Elo to spread the Word of surf to the heathen non surfers who were formerly deaf to its goodness.

Elo declared Saint Kanga and Brother Rabbit to be but false prophets and his way alone was the path to salvation.

Elo gathered his disciples - Brother Turps and Brother Potts to fish for men and visited the seven seas SUP paddle in hand speaking of growth and momentum.

Blah blah blah ....

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Sunday, 16 Apr 2023 at 11:55pm

Aah shit ;)

Frog… that sermon makes it sound like surfings ‘end of days’ may be not too far off.

- In this modern secular fallen surf world of money driven professional idolatry and surf tourism sell out culture, maybe Huey will get Elo nailed to a cross for the salvation of all our surfing sins ?…

(Huey’s all merciful, and all knowing - as he has been known to create conditions within seven days that align where a storm cell can morph into a huge low and create stacked lines to the horizon, with offshore winds combined with correct swell directions and favourable tidal conditions for prophesied cylindrical tubes of water to form).

And then… after the chosen Elo’s sacrifice and execution and redemption and subsequent resurrection, he will return instead reborn as a fantastic guitar player and try to shred that way - instead of, in this world, just being a soulless corporate money hungry surf industry crack whore ;)

… for the benefit of all surfkind.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 6:15am
Jelly Flater wrote:

- it’s fair to say religion can also provide an outlet for creative expression that sometimes only makes sense to the individual ;)
- barring all pedo activities, of course.

And in turn this can help others appreciate and share in the fun of life.

I would say surfing is a religion we share in some ways… It requires dedication, hard work, faith, commitment and helps one develop respect. It garners gratitude and fosters a feeling of community as well as providing a training ground for looking out for others.

It also has immense value as something to share with friends and family to strengthen bonds and create shared experiences that are both spiritual AND rooted in reality. The gift of teaching a son or daughter to surf is also a passing on of knowledge and a tool that promotes health and builds lifelong skills and memories.

It opens up a proper appreciation of something bigger than ourselves by giving insight into the true power of nature - and the ocean is one the best sacred spaces and is a teacher that is always open and offering opportunities for anyone who wants to learn ;) It’s not necessarily exclusive - other than having to be able to swim, and maybe an awareness of skill level relative to conditions, anyone is welcome… (you can even keep the skin on the end of ya penis / don’t have to grow a beard etc / can surf on the sabbath etc).

Just gotta work out how my devotion to the water can allow an exemption from paying tax !

But that would somehow corrupt things, and - at least, other than a healthy caution for occasional hazards (sharks or dry reef end sections or treacherous stormy conditions) there is no real in built guilt mechanism based around facing the wrath etc.

The only real commandments involve not snaking, not dropping in, waiting ya turn, trying to be a bit generous ;) and… wearing a leggy ;)

You also won’t spend an eternity in damnation for any indiscretion, will bask in the glow of surf stoke repeatedly and often… and be gifted something that promotes and creates smiles, builds resilience and fuels good vibes ;)

Sounds almost too good to be true.
But it is true ;)

… praise the lord

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETbOX50t0kw

Amen

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 6:40am
frog wrote:

Then Huey sent his son Elo to spread the Word of surf to the heathen non surfers who were formerly deaf to its goodness.
Elo declared Saint Kanga and Brother Rabbit to be but false prophets and his way alone was the path to salvation.

Elo gathered his disciples - Brother Turps and Brother Potts to fish for men and visited the seven seas SUP paddle in hand speaking of growth and momentum.

Blah blah blah ....

And on the 7th day, He created Flopti( and the Doobie Bros)

I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright
Do-do-do-do-do, do-do, do-do
Do-do-do-do-do, do-do

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 6:58am

one of CTA's finest ads:
(rap, rock and soul, together at last)

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 7:18am

… and on the eighth day, ‘he’ sang…
- in honour of being…
phully stick ;)

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 17 Apr 2023 at 8:06am

and after that ear pollution there was this moving "hymn" that really stirs the soul. It means much and nothing at the same time. As it should be.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 4:29am

More from memory mountain.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 7:46am

This’d be a fun deep dive TBB...

On the eve of starting production on Passion of the Christ 2? God/Mel are quoted in this article under the heading “God spoke to Mr Duncan, website says”: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-22/haasts-bluff-cross-monument-centr...

[100 grand anonymously towards a monument to His/Mel's greatness. Pickles compared to the $600 mil he got from Passion of the Christ 1. Can’t help thinking if it was David Field, they'd be getting a co-op and community veggie garden instead; I blame NIDA for encouraging narcissism]

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 8:29am

apologies, bunk citation in previous.. here 'tis:

God/Mel are quoted in this article under the heading “God spoke to Mr Duncan, website says”: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-25/ken-duncan-christian-cross-projec...

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 1:05pm

Your 2022 story was the correct one . The old 2016 one was inaccurate.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 1:11pm

Good to know, cheers. Looks pretty cool doesn't it? What do you reckon about MG's involvement?

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 2:28pm

If your familiar with Ken Duncan’s photography, he was chosen by Mel to do the stills in the passion of the Christ so I suppose they became mates there and I think Mel stumped up some decent cash toward this project which would have been nice for the aboriginal guys.
Ray Martin helped a lot too with fundraising after seeing the determination of the local aboriginals.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 8:38pm

Channel 7 now. Spotlight exposes Hillsong

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:50am
seeds wrote:

Channel 7 now. Spotlight exposes Hillsong

Sex, power, money, rock and roll and more sex
... Jesus wept

A lot of people with high energy and charismatic personalities have a high sex drive. Women are drawn to leaders with such characteristics - hypergamy. Church leaders have the power, desire and much opportunity.

As Annie Lennox found:

Don't mess with the missionary man.

Oh, the missionary man, he's got god on his side
He's got the saints and apostles backin' up from behind
Black eyed looks from those bible books
He's a man with a mission, got a serious mind
There was a woman in the jungle and a monkey on a tree
The missionary man, he was followin' me
He said, "Stop what you're doing
Get down upon your knees
I've a message for you that you better believe"

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 11:51am

I read this one this morning. Slightly off topic; lifestyle coaching but in reality a predatory cult. Kinda turned Christian to rebrand themselves. Nasty stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65175712.amp

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 12:08pm

I lost my best friend when we were young to Scientology . This group sounds very familiar in their approach.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 12:45pm
Optimist wrote:

I lost my best friend when we were young to Scientology . This group sounds very familiar in their approach.

You lost a friend because his beliefs about an imaginary man in the sky changed? LOL

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 12:59pm

I watched 5 minutes of the Jimmy Swaggart channel the other day whilst flicking through channels. The audience sat passive and glassy eyed as powerful oratory on sin, sin, sin, devil, submit, save, sin, devil and how all their problems were their fault for having sinned washed over them. And did I mention talk of guilt inducing sin, sin and more sin and that scary devil guy?

I was left with the conclusion that you either submit to such charismatic preaching and agree to the message and become passive or leave. There is no middle ground where you can listen, think and analyse and form an opinion or ever ask a question.

Most run for the hills. Those that stay - are they Saved or zombiefied?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 1:16pm

It feels so lovely to be here tonight, give yourselves a big round of applause.
Now here's Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 1:44pm

The voice ;)

&pp=ygUgSSBiZWxpZXZlIGkgY2FuIGZseSBqZXN1cyBwYXJvZHk%3D

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 2:27pm

I see the usual four have been busy. There is an old saying…
…”A man digs his grave with his tongue”.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:37pm
Optimist wrote:

I see the usual four have been busy. There is an old saying…
…”A man digs his grave with his tongue”.

..news just in burleigh, you made the cut!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:52pm

Aaaah flopti…

Inclusive ;)
Non judgemental.
All merciful…

And forgiving ;);)

&pp=ygUOY2hpbGQgcHJlYWNoZXI%3D

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 3:56pm

Now … pls excuse the oprah ;)

- this clip is a flopti special…

Is there much of a difference ?
You know - the try and explain stuff in your own words bit ;);)

&pp=ygUOY2hpbGQgcHJlYWNoZXI%3D

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 4:32pm

This video is not for the trolls but for the rest of you...explains a lot.
Surfing and Suffering by Britt Merrick and his wife Kate.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:11pm

F.O.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:15pm

Haha flopti…

You ‘lost’ your supposed best friend to scientology ;)

Cmon now… Surely you had nothing to do with it ? And he’s lost coz he decided to believe in fairytales of a different kind to yours … my goodness … boo hoo ;)

Don’t forget your sci fi wormhole event prediction ;);)
- You may still be besties after all !

And great work there again flopti…
Still trying to get someone else to do the explaining for you.

Sit down preacher child ! ;)

https://www.gotquestions.org/take-the-plank-out-of-your-eye.html

‘In His great Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Christ sometimes employed a literary tool known as hyperbole to make a point. In one such example, Jesus asked, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye” (Matthew 7:3–5).‘

- try practice what you preach ;)

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:32pm

Did you watch Britt and Kate’s video or is your soul that far gone.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:39pm

How’d you go getting that plank out of your eye ;);)

&pp=ygUWSmVzdXMgb24gYmljeWNsZSBjcmFzaA%3D%3D

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:47pm

Britt and Kate haha
What a load of BS
Just another one setting up a pyramid scheme of churches. Tithing anyone? Same as the mafia financial structure works.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:50pm

You haven’t watched it have you …soul of jelly.
And seeds if you knew anything about surfing he does ok out of boards already.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 5:53pm

yup seeds, I lasted a third of it, up till Kate was talking about 'her' loss, and 'her' grief... while Britt sat there stoic and supportive of their narrative. Tragic loss for any couple. Horrible and unthinkable. And turned into heartbreakingly narcissistic storytelling, without even the self-awareness of how the 'me me me' comes across while sitting next to her partner plugging her wares..

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:00pm

Haha flopti…

Still demanding and huffing and puffing about watching something ;)

It’s a miracle you could even do it - that plank of yours is getting bigger !

- You must get a little tired of all this pretending… and judging… and storytelling ;)

And with only one eye…

Carry on.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:05pm

You guys are unbelievable. Soulless heartless and no idea of what is going on around you…Attack is your only pathetic defence….sad for you.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:23pm

If it's any consolation Optimist, I enjoyed the scene from the Chosen that you posted, ep 3 'Jesus loves the little children' I believe.. it was absolutely first-class DP, and editing. The perfect amount of hand-held wobble, without overcooking it. The amount of editing/cuts pushed the envelope, but totally nailed it thanks to the direction and angles chosen..

Hand-held has been so over/badly done. I remember the relief when Deadwood came out, and they locked down some cameras for some classic tableaux style shots. Since those early 28 Days Later days, doing handheld has to be spot on, or it's rubbish,
So, thanks for sharing that clip.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:32pm

Joke from Tom during tonight’s Hard Quiz.

“Peanuts the only thing scarier than a priest at the local catholic primary school”

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:37pm

Hahaha…

Once again, flopti barks in a tone antithetical to anything remotely resembling being a christian.

What’s going on around us ?

‘Soulless’… ‘heartless’ ? ;);)

- you really know what you’re talking about ;)

… and this gem : ‘Attack is your only pathetic defence’
- Fark.

What exactly are you doing here other than everything you are trying to accuse others of… again !

Your hypocrisy is the only unbelievable thing on show…
Except it’s real.

- guessing that when jesus returns, at least you can offer the plank from your eye as his new cross ;)

There is probably enough in there for two !

Pull ya head outta your arse flopti ;)
- you’re more comedian than christian.

Big call trying to deny and deflect the depth of your sadness… all the while pointing your finger and professing to be a servant of the lawd ;)

Preacher child… sit down !

&pp=ygUUY2hpbGQgcHJlYWNoZXIgb3ByYWg%3D

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:50pm

I’m a bit slow but I’ve finally realised that you are a satanist jelly. I’ve dealt with your kind before. Twisting everything and using scripture as a defence. Just like Satan did.
You guys even have churches now , with one I know of in Noosa.
It’s why you haven’t actually contributed anything to this forum but nonsense accusations and irrelevant you tube junk.
Bad news for you though….you think your team has won but you will see soon.
The Holy one is due back soon and you and your team will be running for cover.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 7:16pm

Wahaha ;)
You are a comedian !

‘Twisting everything and using scripture as a defence’

????? wtf

- sounds more flopti …
Actually … all flopti ;)

Pls look up definition of hypocrite.
You are cooked … and more than well done.

- Now accusing ppl of being satanists ;)
Cmon. You’re not slow.

Just farked.
Full of imaginary assumptions and deluded projections…

And…
Your words again :
‘nonsense accusations’

Haha …
Nonsense accusations !
- like accusing ppl of being satanists ;)

Fark ;);)

&pp=ygUdcnVuIGZvciB0aGUgaGlsbHMgaXJvbiBtYWlkZW4%3D

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 7:18pm

One of your clan flopti? Just gotta say sorry and it all disappears under the table.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-24/peter-hollingworth-anglican-panel...

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 4:39am

Eric is one of my clan...
I'm going to post more short talks with famous shapers and surfers from now on.
Hopefully the trolls and satanists wont dump too much junk on the posts...Enjoy!
https://www.christiansurfers.net/news/2021/7/20/on-board-with-eric-arakawa

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 6:07am

Sounds like a stellar plan Optimist. Looking forward to some surf-related posts!

suchas's picture
suchas's picture
suchas Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 8:28am
frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 4:18pm

I think the time has come to explain why Opti suffers the slings and arrows of mental anguish on this thread. Put simply, he is following the wrong Church.
I humbly suggest he fully commit to:
The Church of the Open Sky (surfing) as coined by Nat Young to find peace on earth.

Why? Let me explain some characteristics of this Church:
- It is real, tangible and here on earth.
- There is no need to struggle with belief - we can watch waves, taste them, roll in them and ride upon them. They are real and beautiful.
- it can feed the soul and provide fun and peace of mind.
- It is simple - just board and wave, no words, book, endlessly convoluted explanations or preacher required.
- If no one turns up to Church it is fantastic - empty waves.
- if people try surfing and don't like it - fantastic - less crowds.
- if someone tells you they used to surf but quit, you care not.
- if some wanker, scammer, or idiot is a surfer and hits the news, you care not.
- if a million surfers quit surfing tomorrow to join some other sport - fantastic - less crowds.
- if a bunch of surfers head off the usual track riding weird boards or huge waves, it is not a sin
- if you slacken off and don't surf much or quit for a while it does not matter - no one cares, there is no guilt inducing judgement by fellow church members..
- if your friends, relatives and workmates don't surf you have no interest to try to convert them - you can let them be themselves, chat away and don't have to preach about your church.
- there is no needs to listen to endless sermons on sin or suspend logic to maintain belief.
- there is no need to try to convince others to majorly disrupt others lives to follow your path.
- peace of mind awaits at the end of a beach - not some far off time.

In contrast, for each of these points above, in a Church of religious belief, needing converts, there is a jolt of pain, concern, anguish and a pressure to yet again struggle to fix, change or manipulate those around you.

The Church of the Open Sky beckons. Accept or not - there is no threat of hell or judgement hanging over your decision.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 4:46pm

just a board and a wave? no leggy? I can see splinter groups already.. splitters!

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Tuesday, 25 Apr 2023 at 5:38pm

Some say the holy one is due back soon…

- some say he’s already here ;)

… however … the parable of him being a very naughty boy may be true.

&pp=ygUPSG9seSBvbmUgcGFyb2R5

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 10:03am

Moving on from Eric Arakawa, Britt Merrick is one of the most interesting people I've ever come across.
A very full and challenging life for sure....A short interview on what he has been doing in life.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 11:03am

I was personally completely disappointed and shocked that as great a actor like Denzel Washington started off a college speach by saying number 1 thing to do everyday is thank God and pray to God.

Guess acting talent doesn't make you smart enough to tell the future people of USA brain washed crap he obviously hasn't thought about deeply enough.